• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

Guys check your junk folder. There where I found the email.

Nope, this is different. I got authenticated and it is was not in the spam just fine a few hours ago, the mail came instantly. It refuses to come this time, and I even marked ArenaNet as important, just in case :p

I just checked my email and I had received an email on the 25th where I authenticated my email and played with no problem till today. I guess I shouldn't have tried accessing accounts.guildwars.com, from the cottage.

Blarg!

Yeah, it's from logging in from a new IP. Which means it's either a bug in my case, or someone tried logging into my account. It's a good thing, in theory, just the emails getting hung up in the servers 'cause of how busy they are, I'm sure.

Guys check your junk folder. There where I found the email.

No go. My friend also said his wound up in his junk folder when he had this happen. But, yeah. Nothing so far.

I have a feeling their authentication servers are just plain down. They just haven't said anything yet. I really wanted to play a bit. Damn you hackers for making things so complicated.

And we have an answer:
Guild Wars 2 ‏@GuildWars2
We're aware of the issues with the email authentication system and are investigating. We'll update you as soon as we know more. Thanks ^SL

I've just reached level 25 and the game/story finally seems to be going somewhere, as if the tutorial were over. Also, my character starts looking somewhat decent, save for the bad leg armor.

i2yYL.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've just reached level 25 and the game/story finally seems to be going somewhere, as if the tutorial were over. Also, my character starts looking somewhat decent, save for the bad leg armor.
Wow, yeah get yourself some decent legs and that's quite classy indeed.

So, im not really that good with my necromancer, ok only lvl 16 but i think i could handle that class better.

Anyone knows a good site with class builds? Maybe a little howto will solve my difficulties at the moment.

Hackers ruin everything but they don't care because most of them are gold sellers and enough idiots buy gold from those sites to make them rich hence they will keep doing it :/ so so annoying

I wish the mothers and families of hackers and gold sellers get rapped by elephants.

Is an email, authenticating, needed each time you log in? I'm using the same PC and it's asking for an email again.

Not supposed to. Either a bug, or hackers are going fucking nuts trying to log in from different IP's then the one you usually use. I'm guessing a bug at this point.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
And with this, Error 37 makes a glorious return in the Inpenetrable Never Offline ArenaNet Fortress! Let us all hail to the new online overlords :p

I love both games, do not hurt me...*hugs his physical authenticator key*

I am starting to want a physical authenticator for this game. Seems this one is going to go big, and I'm going to be putting a lot of time into it.

I've been skipping through my personal story dialogue. Its just not interesting. And thats a pretty big failure for ArenaNet. These are supposed to be driving gameplay forward. Otherwise its just random rat killing.

Yes, it's all extremely bland (I'm playing a Norn). I'm starting to long back to my trooper in Stars Wars TOR, which has an awesome story and voice acting (by Jennifer Hale) compared to this.

I would also totally shell out 6 bucks for an authenticator.

EDIT: I've not skipped anything in the Charr personal story, so I guess the Norn one is as bland as the Norn. :p

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not sure if posted, as the thread moves too fast, but Kripp's comments on his whole banning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTmBrwmjf0

According to him, he got 8 gold for 20k karma. I agree with him that such a thing is not an exploit, and I agree that the amnesty is because they realized the backlash was coming.

It's posted like, 20 posts above yours, dude.

And probably countless times before that when it actually happened yesterday. ;)

Deitus

I wish the mothers and families of hackers and gold sellers get rapped by elephants.

Did you get banned over this post? I mean I know rap is not everyone's favorite musical genre, and elephants are probably terrible rappers, but I would think rapping elephants would not be ban worthy.

Sethos

Banned
I'm running the latest Catalyst drivers available for my card.

Depends on what card you're running, but most likely will either be a NVIDIA or an AMD, and the drivers are available at the respective sites;

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Oh, thought you were running with the green team. Then it's all a bit up in the air, I grabbed the latest Beta drivers. I'm not fond of those outdated WHQL drivers that are always behind in profiles. Think I'll just get back to Windows 7, as I'm having some other teething issues any way. Appreciate the answer though :)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Someone told me that the gaf guild on the US side is now full? And there's a second guild going on. I couldn't see any info in the OP regarding it, Does anyone know the information?

Jack_AG

Banned
So much anger.

Any way, I made the mistake ( apparently ) of upgrading to Windows 8 - Had a W8 SFOD ( Smiley face of death ) and this weird state where I could open stuff on the desktop and move around as the game froze, however I couldn't click. Now had GW do something weird on me 3 times after upgrading, starting to regret it. Hoping it's something-other-than-OS-related.

Anyone else on Windows 8 and having issues?
I can only speak for using the developer preview - but I had issues with several programs acting wonky (for the lack of a better word). I have since reverted.

Also, I apologize for being so harsh earlier. Water under the dam or over the bridge or wherever you like it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Kripp is a well known douche in most games he plays, he's basically the new Athene.

He outright lies in his video claiming that he and everyone else got banned simply for 'buying an item' when it says right in the EULA exploiting bugs for personal profit is against the TOS. He not only participated in exploiting a bug that would ultimately ruin the player economy but also advertised to others how to do it and was rightfully banned for it.

No doubt the developers could have handled the entire situation in a better way, but a dumb ass like Kripp gets no sympathy from me.

etiolate

Banned
Kripp is a well known douche in most games he plays, he's basically the new Athene.

He outright lies in his video claiming that he and everyone else got banned simply for 'buying an item' when it says right in the EULA exploiting bugs for personal profit is against the TOS. He not only participated in exploiting a bug that would ultimately ruin the player economy but also advertised to others how to do it and was rightfully banned for it.

No doubt the developers could have handled the entire situation in a better way, but a dumb ass like Kripp gets no sympathy from me.

Stop and think if 20k karma for 8 gold is an obvious exploit. Consider that a lot of cool or good items in the game cost karma.

Teknoman

Honestly he seems kinda lame for admitting about exploiting games in the past...but at the same time, this really didnt seem like anything obvious, and they couldn't they have just done a rollback of some sort?

V_Arnold

I am not a big fan of Kripp, but this time, he is right. The last two minutes of the video is a great explanation of how ArenaNet does not really know how to handle this properly yet.

Especially if his other statement ("others have gained hundreds of gold from this, and they are still playing the game") is true. Then, it is just bad control over their servers and the economy.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Stop and think if 10k karma for 8 gold is an obvious exploit. Consider that a lot of cool or good items in the game cost karma.
Stop and think about the fact that it doesn't matter how extensively he exploited the game, whether he only earned 8 gold or 8 million makes no difference. Other users manipulated the exploit for much higher earnings and he was a large part of in explaining to others how to exploit it. If it wasn't obvious enough that you were breaking the rules by taking advantage of a bug, it takes all but 2 braincells to realize you are doing something wrong when you are gaming the system in such a way.

Playing "innocent" or straw manning by saying "well I didn't earn that much" is completely disingenious.
I am not a big fan of Kripp, but this time, he is right. The last two minutes of the video is a great explanation of how ArenaNet does not really know how to handle this properly yet.
Nope. The first part of your statement is subjective but honestly in the context of rules and EULA you could not be more wrong.

I agree that ArenaNet did not handle this well but I already acknowledged that in my earlier post . Regardless of ArenaNet, breaking a rule and intentionally exploiting the game and showing others how to carry out that exploit isn't something I am going to have sympathy for when it leads to punishment. He's not sorry because he exploits games like this all the time, he's only sorry he actually got caught and properly punished for it rather than his usual treatment, which is immunity simply because he has a large fan base.

Piecake

Stop and think if 10k karma for 8 gold is an obvious exploit. Consider that a lot of cool or good items in the game cost karma.

Why does the amount matter? If he was taking advantage of an obvious exploit, he was violating the ToS. I dont think that was perma-ban worthy, but definitely ban worthy for a week at least and basically rolling-back or simply taking away all of their gold and items

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just met the guys from ArenaNet and got them to sign a cool poster and got some cool swag! Sweet!

Nice!

That reminds me, I still have a bag full of GW2 swag from years ago stuffed in some closet somewhere. I snatched it at Gamescom in 2010 I believe.

Hard to imagine i'm actually playing that game right now, it seemed impossibly far away back then.

MadD4mon

Well, that's fucking awesome. How long have you been waiting since submitting a ticket?

I submitted a ticket about 30 hours ago (because my account got hacked) and still haven't heard back from CS. They say on twitter that they CS staff is full at work atm but it seems that they have a shitload of tickets to deal with.

Has anyone else heard back from CS and had a similar problem like me (hacking) or Hero_of_the_Day (auth email)? How long did it take for you?

Sethos

Banned
I can only speak for using the developer preview - but I had issues with several programs acting wonky (for the lack of a better word). I have since reverted.

Also, I apologize for being so harsh earlier. Water under the dam or over the bridge or wherever you like it.

Yeah, I'm in the process of making a Windows 7 USB. While it does have some positives, it does feel like someone took Windows 7, crowbarred in some tablet specific features and reset the stability counter. Metro I can somewhat deal with, starting from 0 on stability in games and software ( Obviously an individual experience )? No, my patience doesn't stretch that far. Especially not with an RTM product build over Windows 7, this should be rock solid in every way possible.

And yes, I'd also like to apologize. We certainly got off to a wrong foot, I'm mainly to blame. I came from from surgery yesterday and I'm not taking pills 5 times a day, that and the recovery has made me stranger than usual. I don't have a beef with you at all man, I'm just the occasional arrogant asshole.

V_Arnold

The first part of your statement is subjective but honestly in the context of rules and EULA you could not be more wrong. I agree that ArenaNet did not handle this well and I acknowledged that in my earlier post already. Regardless breaking a rule and intentionally exploiting the game and showing others how to carry out that exploit isn't something I am going to have sympathy for when it leads to punishment.

Do not have sympathy for him, but if he REALLY got permabanned and others did NOT for the same thing, then it is selective punishment, and you should definitely watch out for that one. Look at it from a higher viewpoint, I do not care if it was Kripp who got banned or Jesus Christ himself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is an email, authenticating, needed each time you log in? I'm using the same PC and it's asking for an email again.
There should be an option, maybe on the screen when you click your email, like "remember this network" or something to that effect?

I got the email auth message once, the email came immediately and I clicked that setting and haven't had to deal with it since. Feel awful for you guys who are stuck! Godspeed, bugfixing goblins
And yes, I'd also like to apologize. We certainly got off to a wrong foot, I'm mainly to blame. I came from from surgery yesterday and I'm not taking pills 5 times a day, that and the recovery has made me stranger than usual. I don't have a beef with you at all man, I'm just the occasional arrogant asshole.
BAM, that's what I'm talkin' about. GAF Guildies take the high road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom