• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferga

Fixed
3AQmK.gif

True mesmers wear pink/purple mang

I'm almost there. I got myself 5 shades of pink dye already witht eh legendary cotton candy pink. Just need my cultural armour and dye it bright pink so I can become...

Mr. Pink.

So despite singing the praises of Engineer a couple days ago, I've fell off on them in a big way. Weapon switching is, at least imo, not optional in a game like this.

Kits are a very poor substitute. Backups should not flood your whole bar with skills, and by forcing it to be like that you a) lose your weapons and b) skills devolve into "Skill A, Skill A + Condition Effect, Skill A + Different Condition Effect", etc.

Weapon Kits are better, but even the flamethrower feels like I am gimping myself because you lose weapon stats and it feels far less scalable than a physical item.

I can't articulate a good fix...but I think the utility belt - while really cool - should have probably been where backup skills go. Likewise, they should have given engis another weapon type (Hammer would fit the flavor very nicely, Torch could be another off-hand option) and allow for weapon swapping

anyway, long story short I rolled Ranger to follow in the footsteps of my original, 300+ hour played Ranger from GW1. I was lukewarm on it until I got a short bow, then my mind began being blown over and over again. I've found I really love the 1H Sword + Torch combo, but I always keep a good short bow on hand. Ranger makes me feel like I'm playing an ARPG and not a MMO.

I wish pets were more durable, but that's a complaint everyone has for every pet-like (Turrets are the worst imo - AOE just destroys them with no effort needed)

e: Also ended up crafting a pretty cool piece of armor, at least for such a low level

rK1J2.png

"Kits are a very poor substitute. Backups should not flood your whole bar with skills, and by forcing it to be like that you a) lose your weapons and b) skills devolve into "Skill A, Skill A + Condition Effect, Skill A + Different Condition Effect", etc."

Your two points seem to contradict each other. You say weapon swapping isn't optional, but you criticize kits because they replace your weapon bar? Furthermore, an important point you didn't touch on is that kits *aren't* affected by the in-combat swap cooldown that weapons and Ele attunements have. There's a ton of CC and valuable conditions in some of those kits that I'm sure plenty of classes would love to have without being locked into a different weapon for 7? or however many seconds.

Piecake

Through the discovery panel, right?

you refine your mats simply in the main panel. After you refine your mats you make say a pistol stock and a pistol barrel. Then you make a (forget the name) but something with blood or scales and the like. You go to the discorvery pane, stick the two pistol parts into the panel along with the vial of blood/or whatever thing, and bam, discovery. After that, stick another two pistol parts with a new stat item (say scales), and bam, another discovery

after level 25 in crafting, all you want to do is discover since that is the most effective way. You will have to make new stat items (blood, scales, etc) but you shouldnt make any actual weapon or armor without discovery

They really need to make crafting doable from the collections panel. Instead of having to drag your inventory into the bank, then dragging crafting materials into the inventory.

It is like they want you to cheat instead of actually discover things on your own. Or purchase inventory space.

Piecake

"Kits are a very poor substitute. Backups should not flood your whole bar with skills, and by forcing it to be like that you a) lose your weapons and b) skills devolve into "Skill A, Skill A + Condition Effect, Skill A + Different Condition Effect", etc."

Your two points seem to contradict each other. You say weapon swapping isn't optional, but you criticize kits because they replace your weapon bar? Furthermore, an important point you didn't touch on is that kits *aren't* affected by the in-combat swap cooldown that weapons and Ele attunements have. There's a ton of CC and valuable conditions in some of those kits that I'm sure plenty of classes would love to have without being locked into a different weapon for 7? or however many seconds.

Yea, being able to swap weapons and kits whenever I want is a huge plua. Need a blind right now since youre out of endurance? Bam, switch to the FT kit

"AC is making me rethink my decision of playing Guardian. ;_;"

It shouldn't, Guardian is really useful with the condition removal in that dungeon. Ascalonian Ranger poision is no joke.

Kits are either way too specific in use (like bombs) or too gimicky (like grenades or flamethrower) to compare to a set of actual weapon skills, though. When I switch weapons I can gurantee my next set of 5 will compliment each other and feel like a complete build - in other words, there's no "loss" associated with it

There is loss when switching with an Engineer, in both weapon stats and versatility. It's cool and all that Engis can in theory swap from one specific set to another as each situation arises, but in practice I could not get it to work that way.

Is there a standard "best" build for the Guardian?

I've been increasing Honor and basically using +Vit/Tough gear.

I also use Greatsword + Sword/Torch (or Sword/Shield).

I really have to say I dislike the Honor bit once you have 5 invested. You get 1 second of Vigor for every crit landed. My crit chance is 4%... big fucking whoop.

Ken

It shouldn't, Guardian is really useful with the condition removal in that dungeon. Ascalonian Ranger poision is no joke.

Which weapon set should I be using? The only condition removals I have ATM are 2 utility skills.

"Kits are either way too specific in use (like bombs) or too gimicky (like grenades or flamethrower) to compare to a set of actual weapon skills, though. When I switch weapons I can gurantee my next set of 5 will compliment each other and feel like a complete build - in other words, there's no "loss" associated with it

There is loss when switching with an Engineer, in both weapon stats and versatility. It's cool and all that Engis can in theory swap from one specific set to another as each situation arises, but in practice I could not get it to work that way."

You're viewing weapon kits in the wrong way. They are not simply a weapon swap, but instead more like a potential 5-15 extra utility skills. Blinds, poisons, chills, knockbacks, etc. on demand without being locked out of your main weapon. Grenades (especially the toolbelt skill) are really, really far from being gimmicky. You don't swap to them, blow all your cooldowns and then swap to your next kit, blow all your cooldowns and so on. You freely swap to them whenever you like to get the extra utility that said kits afford. It's going to take some time for players to get used to using the kits fluidly and not simply thinking of them as a weapon swap but an extension of your bar.

etiolate

Banned

Plus the Necro mobs dropping aoe conditions all over.

Doing it on my Mesmer, I let iWarden pretty much tank the Ranger mobs.

R0Pjg.jpg

Anyone know how to get this POI? I swam all around looking in the water, run all over the land. I've obviously missed the entrance and it's driving me crazy.

"Which weapon set should I be using? The only condition removals I have ATM are 2 utility skills."

Shield and mace, probably. Also try and body block mobs as much as possible. Also learn your combo fields/finishers and which ones create condition removal.

Lebron

I really have to say I dislike the Honor bit once you have 5 invested. You get 1 second of Vigor for every crit landed. My crit chance is 4%... big fucking whoop.

Yeah, I'm kind of regretting investing 5 in it as well. Should have just stuck purely with Valor I think.

Ferga

I don't think there is a standard best build for any profession to be honest. Everything can be good in different situations.

Stuart444

R0Pjg.jpg

Anyone know how to get this POI? I swam all around looking in the water, run all over the land. I've obviously missed the entrance and it's driving me crazy.

The heart, go there to the heart person. to the left while facing him from the outer section (where you swim to there), is an underwater passage, swim all the way through.

Ferga

Yeah, I swam around it a couple times and didn't see it. Time for a break, then I'll give it another go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFatH6S-WzM

I swam around that damn island for over 40minutes with 10 other people. We were all going crazy after the first 20minutes and we just kept persisting in doing it.

After 40minutes, some guy just went on youtube and led the whole group to the cave. I hate that POI with all my soul.

"Kits are either way too specific in use (like bombs) or too gimicky (like grenades or flamethrower) to compare to a set of actual weapon skills, though. When I switch weapons I can gurantee my next set of 5 will compliment each other and feel like a complete build - in other words, there's no "loss" associated with it

There is loss when switching with an Engineer, in both weapon stats and versatility. It's cool and all that Engis can in theory swap from one specific set to another as each situation arises, but in practice I could not get it to work that way."

You're viewing weapon kits in the wrong way. They are not simply a weapon swap, but instead more like a potential 5-15 extra utility skills. Blinds, poisons, chills, knockbacks, etc. on demand without being locked out of your main weapon. Grenades (especially the toolbelt skill) are really, really far from being gimmicky. You don't swap to them, blow all your cooldowns and then swap to your next kit, blow all your cooldowns and so on. You freely swap to them whenever you like to get the extra utility that said kits afford. It's going to take some time for players to get used to using the kits fluidly and not simply thinking of them as a weapon swap but an extension of your bar.

Perhaps I am viewing it in the wrong way. All I know is that I find swapping between two sets of fully featured and complimentary skills is far more enjoyable and compatible to my playstyle than juggling kits for (ostensibly?) the same result.

I'm sure for some the kit switching feels very natural and versatile, but I did not feel like I was gaining anything more than I have now.

KingKong

I swam around that damn island for over 40minutes with 10 other people. We were all going crazy after the first 20minutes and we just kept persisting in doing it.

After 40minutes, some guy just went on youtube and led the whole group to the cave. I hate that POI with all my soul.

hehe yep

there's the same kind of POI in Gendarran Fields

also I just got to Lornars Pass and wow, it has like 43 POIs

Grenades are insane dude. I ranted about them the other day so I'm not gonna repeat but they are so good and do monstrous damage. There is no better AoE damage for the Engineer and even the single mob damage is huge, probably near the top. Only thing is they don't have much utility. The 3rd skill does a blind and the ice nade slows a bit but no condition curing or healing or anything like that. I've paired grenade kit with elixir slot skills to rectify this and that works great.

The heart, go there to the heart person. to the left while facing him from the outer section (where you swim to there), is an underwater passage, swim all the way through.

Thanks you. Almost done with another area.

Shield and mace, probably. Also try and body block mobs as much as possible. Also learn your combo fields/finishers and which ones create condition removal.

Greatsword has a combo that removes conditions. Skill 2 + 3.

Not sure if Shield + Mace do.

Torch also gives you an ability that gets rid of conditions in an AOE cone. While burning enemies.

"The 3rd skill does a blind and the ice nade slows a bit "

3rd skill also increases cooldowns of affected enemies by 66%. Pretty important. When you consider that most heals are 20-40 second cooldowns, adding ~12-25 seconds onto that is pretty significant. With the 3 grenade trait, the duration of chilled stacks 3x, so you can really hose over someone when they use their cooldowns while they're affected for over 10 seconds when traited for condition duration.

"Greatsword has a combo that removes conditions. Skill 2 + 3.

Not sure if Shield + Mace do.

Torch also gives you an ability that gets rid of conditions in an AOE cone. While burning enemies."

Yeah, I don't think mace has a finisher at all, but it does have light field on a really short cooldown for your allies to use to create condition curing with from their finishers, also a heal on the auto attack and AOE protection.

"The 3rd skill does a blind and the ice nade slows a bit "

3rd skill also increases cooldowns of affected enemies by 66%. Pretty important! When you consider that most heals are 20-40 second cooldowns, adding ~12-25 seconds onto that is pretty significant. With the 3 grenade trait, the duration of chilled stacks, so you can really hose over someone when they use their cooldowns while affected.

That sounds pretty sick. I know what kit i'll be using for pvp

Yeah, I don't think mace has a finisher at all, but it does have light field on a really short cooldown for your allies to use to create condition curing with from their finishers, also a heal on the auto attack and AOE protection.

Hmm I suppose so. I haven't used Mace much in PvE. But I haven't run any dungeons that require more structure.

Perhaps I am viewing it in the wrong way. All I know is that I find swapping between two sets of fully featured and complimentary skills is far more enjoyable and compatible to my playstyle than juggling kits for (ostensibly?) the same result.

I'm sure for some the kit switching feels very natural and versatile, but I did not feel like I was gaining anything more than I have now.

Engineer just isn't for you, it sounds like.

Trey

It does a soul good to see you all go through the torment I had to endure. I'm about halfway through world map completion and I can only imagine what dastardly misdirections Anet has in store for me.

fauxtrot

Banned
I'm not sure if this has been stated earlier in the thread, but to anyone looking to buy a digital copy of the game, BestBuy.com has them in stock. Oh, and the digital limited edition can be had at GameStop.com

Hope that helps someone looking to play the game tonight! :)

Stuart444

Has anyone had this major bug?

Basically me and my gf were going through my personal story and completed the one called Evacuation (level 47).

When I completed it, it didn't pop up for her "Do you want to accept this outcome" so we exited the mission thinking we would have to do it again.

After exiting the instance, the reward screen pops up and after accepting it, in the story section of the H panel it shows she completed it but the green personal story section in the top right doesn't show anymore and when going to the next area for our story, the indicator isn't there for her so it's like her personal story has finished and is incomplete while mines is fine and I can continue if I want but I won't til this is fixed...

I was hoping it's just server lag but it's not popped back up in the last 10 - 15 minutes so this may be a support issue and they are swamped with tickets so we will have to wait a week anyway :/

Probably the worst bug we've seen yet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So my first dungeon experience was overwhelmingly awesome. Thanks to Milly, Razgriz, ticonami, and Trevali (and no thanks at all to Yoona). Awesome coordination and teamwork, and had a blast.

Gained a level and a half, upgraded 3 of my 4 weapons, and a number of armor pieces. And got some Iron Dye, and this stylish new hat:
iw46E13bPIB9L.jpg
ibulFfM0i2nnkl.jpg

Still looking for a killer assassin's hood but I'll play the swashbuckler for a little while.

kidko

I'm not sure if this has been stated earlier in the thread, but to anyone looking to buy a digital copy of the game, BestBuy.com has them in stock. Oh, and the digital limited edition can be had at GameStop.com

Hope that helps someone looking to play the game tonight! :)

Also Amazon had it. Got the code instantly and I'm in the launcher downloading ALL of them gigs.

Has anyone had this major bug?

Basically me and my gf were going through my personal story and completed the one called Evacuation (level 47).

When I completed it, it didn't pop up for her "Do you want to accept this outcome" so we exited the mission thinking we would have to do it again.

After exiting the instance, the reward screen pops up and after accepting it, in the story section of the H panel it shows she completed it but the green personal story section in the top right doesn't show anymore and when going to the next area for our story, the indicator isn't there for her so it's like her personal story has finished and is incomplete while mines is fine and I can continue if I want but I won't til this is fixed...

I was hoping it's just server lag but it's not popped back up in the last 10 - 15 minutes so this may be a support issue and they are swamped with tickets so we will have to wait a week anyway :/

Probably the worst bug we've seen yet.
Lots of story problems if you look on gw2guru. I cant progress past level 76 story because of a bug where the NPC doesn't give you something you need. I actually read of the same issue as you have though not sure if it was the same quest. Saw it on gw2guru. There are a few threads there in general you should look at.

Stuart444

Lots of story problems if you look on gw2guru. I cant progress past level 76 story because of a bug.

Yeah but all of those allow you to still play them and not lose them from the green thing in the corner like this. They are all "I have done this 2/3/whatever times" rather than "I did this 1 time, got a reward and now it's completely gone from my top right list" or anything like that

Yeah but all of those allow you to still play them and not lose them from the green thing in the corner like this. They are all "I have done this 2/3/whatever times" rather than "I did this 1 time, got a reward and now it's completely gone from my top right list" or anything like that
I'd submit a ticket but who knows how long it will take. The bug I'm getting was submitted 5 days ago and a lot of people have it :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom