• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hope I don't regret transferring servers for a few days to play with a friend until Storm buff gets more spots.

Achtius

Lots of story problems if you look on gw2guru. I cant progress past level 76 story because of a bug where the NPC doesn't give you something you need. I actually read of the same issue as you have though not sure if it was the same quest. Saw it on gw2guru. There are a few threads there in general you should look at.

i am stuck on that place too XD

Jack_AG

Banned
So I wanted to take a break from my Warrior for a bit and try the Necro - man the Necro is fun! What's everyone's PVE recommendation? Minions or conditions? Or what? How about weapons? I dig scept/dagger and staff.

Thoughts?

Ashodin

Siren.gif
ORDER GEAR HAS BEEN TAKEN DOWN TO MAKE IT MORE EXPENSIVE
Siren.gif

It was coming folks, if you didn't buy it when it was 20s or less a piece, it's probably going up to a gold each piece now!

Ken

Siren.gif
ORDER GEAR HAS BEEN TAKEN DOWN TO MAKE IT MORE EXPENSIVE
Siren.gif

It was coming folks, if you didn't buy it when it was 20s or less a piece, it's probably going up to a gold each piece now!

What level is Order gear? Maybe I should have bought some...

I'm level 36 (very close to 37) and I'm just wondering, does the zone variety get any better? It's a bit lacking so far, in my opinion.

inky

The hell, I was just about to go and get a Vigil set, I was even skipping karma upgrades due to this! I'm wearing some dumb lvl 50something pants and I'm 1 lvl away from 80 T.T

Fan.fucking.tastic.

fauxtrot

Banned
Is there a guide out there that will give me an idea of each profession's role in groups depending on the weapon they use? Like if one's about debuffs, CC, AoE, support, etc. I know there aren't strict tank/dps/healer roles in this game, but I want to help my brother pick a character I think he'll like...

Stuart444

Just had my gf contact Support via their support site using all the purchase information she has to prove it's her account which will hopefully provide a quick fix even if it's just putting the next quest onto her character manually since the story log proves what she did last anyway (and their back end logs should show that as well)

Guess until then, we'll play our other characters. Not that I mind, but I was hoping to do even more of my personal story and perhaps the next dungeon or two or something and with the weekend, I doubt they are working full day shifts (then again maybe I'm wrong) not to mention all the tickets they have.

Ah well, it can't be help, it's just annoying. with downscaling, we could always go level up even further in other areas while we wait I guess.

TDLink

I'm level 36 (very close to 37) and I'm just wondering, does the zone variety get any better? It's a bit lacking so far, in my opinion.

Really depends on where you are going in order to level. The Human areas are all very green and open fields with some large bodies of water. The Norn areas are all snowy and mountainous. The Charr areas are all brown and plains. The Sylvari and Asura are more lush green forests but they don't really get much after Brisban Wildlands (15-25). Obviously there is going to be some differences between zones but in general you are going to be looking at those green grassy, brown plain, and white snowy zones for much of the mid levels, with the occasional primarily watery zone. Some are also mixes. At late levels (60+) there are a couple of other locales as well.

All the game is really missing are desert and fiery areas...both of which I think Anet has said will be coming for free at a later date (Crystal Desert, Ring of Fire, Maguuma).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is there a guide out there that will give me an idea of each profession's role in groups depending on the weapon they use? Like if one's about debuffs, CC, AoE, support, etc. I know there aren't strict tank/dps/healer roles in this game, but I want to help my brother pick a character I think he'll like...

Almost all classes have AoE, CC, debuffs, buffs and support.

There are no strict roles. Period.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone liking Engineer?

Thinking of taking a break from Ranger and going Engineer. It would have been my first pick, as I love the style, but I strayed away since everyone said they suck in PvP.

eek5

The hell, I was just about to go and get a Vigil set, I was even skipping karma upgrades due to this! I'm wearing some dumb lvl 50something pants and I'm 1 lvl away from 80 T.T

Fan.fucking.tastic.

at least you won't get a 72hr ban for buying gear

kidding.. maybe..

anyone get a goodie bag from the Seattle launch event? I was down there at 6:00 but the line was already insanely long and I ended up being ushered away by a fireman. What was in the goodie bag? any crazy codes or minipets?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What big world bosses appear in the 50-60 level range? I've fought Shatterer already, and I'm curious what other world bosses are worth checking out.

I still haven't fought the Shadow Behemoth. Where does it spawn?

fauxtrot

Banned
Almost all classes have AoE, CC, debuffs, buffs and support.

There are no strict roles. Period.

Right, I get that... my question was where can I get a good rundown on the differences weapons have on each profession. I know some weapons have advantages for certain types of gameplay.

thetrin

Right, I get that... my question was where can I get a good rundown of the differences weapons have on each profession. I know some weapons have advantages for certain types of gameplay.

That's a HUGE rundown to go through. My suggestion, unlike with other MMOs, is just to try out different classes and weapons. That's the only way you can properly learn what works.

Pick a class that sounds cool, and then try different weapons. Unlike most MMOs, that's a viable way to pick a class.

Sethos

Banned
Siiigh. That's my biggest disappointment with the game so far; at level 37 I still look identical to when I was level 1.

Yeah, that's my biggest problem right now. It's not even that I look like a level 1 character, every single piece of armour I have acquired or can buy looks exactly alike, the ONLY thing setting my apart from my level 1 self is some tiny bit of difference in the shoulders.

What I wouldn't give for just a new piece of crappy looking armour, just to freshen it up a bit. Went to WvWvW and bought some of the green armour in there thinking "Hell yeah, this is probably good looking". Exactly. The. Effin'. Same.

etiolate

Banned
Right, I get that... my question was where can I get a good rundown on the differences weapons have on each profession. I know some weapons have advantages for certain types of gameplay.

I can tell you how the Mesmer weapons work, and a bit about Engineer. I am not sure if anyone has setup a weapon by weapon guide yet.

Mesmer
  • Greatsword - ranged single target to multi-target damage, plus cripple and knockback. Fits an offensive role best.
  • Staff - AoE, Buffs, Conditions, and Control. Chaos Storm and Winds of Chaos will fill enemies with conditions and allies with boons. A very good defensive weapon as wel with an escape skill, and Protection on demand. Warlock Phantasm hits very hard for offensive purposes. The Mesmer's best support weapon. It always benefits allies to have the staff around.
  • MH Sword - Melee range damage and AoE. Evasive Defenses and Snare. This is the highest damage weapon for Mesmers, Good at single target and Aoe due to the swing arc. Blurred Frenzy has an evade, allowing you to handle being up close. Has a snare for foe control purposes.
  • MH Scepter - Conditions, Confusion, Single Target Damage, with some Defense. This mainly applies confusion and creates clones with its auto attack. The auto attack hits fairly hard, and the Scepter does have a block/blind skill if you need to riposte a single attack.
  • OH Torch - Stealth and Confusion. The main advantage of Torch is the stealth/blind, making for a good magical rogue playstyle. The Phantasm is a bit lackluster, but pairs well with Scepter for Confusion stacking.
  • OH Sword - Defense, Single Target damage. The Off-hand Sword features a block with a counter that creates a clone. This counter hits pretty hard with high power, as does the Phantasmal Swordsman. Paired with MH Sword, it can handle melee range attacks and do damage.
  • OH Pistol - Control, Single Target Damage, Combo Finisher. The Phantasm Duelist does a good amount of damage, especially traited out. It also applies a combo finisher for your chaos fields, making confusion stacking more viable. The fifth skill on this weapon is magic bullet, which ricochets off multiple enemies and stuns the first enemy it hits, and dazes the second. Very good control and single target damage application.
  • OH Focus - Trolling, Mobility, Defense, Interrupts, Control. The Phantasm on Focus is a mostly stationary Warden that absorbs projectile attacks and does a heavy hitting whirl finisher. Goes well with combo fields, but is also very devastating if paired with a MH sword snare. The Warden + Blurred Frezy can rack up a ton of PBAOE damage. The special bit about Focus is Temporial Curtain. The intial part of this skill creates a magical curtain that grants swiftness to allies who cross it and cripple to foes who cross it. This benefits group movement. The second part of the skill is "Into the Void". Pressing the 4 key again will trigger this skill and pull all foes in the vicinity of the Curtain across the other side of the Curtain. In Dungeons, this pulls the Two Lovers away, knocks down melee bosses, yanks group pulls nearer to you, and can even be used to yank people off of walls in WvWvW. It is also an interrupt if so needed.

bounchfx

Siiigh. That's my biggest disappointment with the game so far; at level 37 I still look identical to when I was level 1.

urgh, good point. I wish there was a big look change every 20 levels or so like other MMOs. Then again, I have no idea how to use the freaking karma buying stuff the right way, always worried that I'm doing it wrong.

we were JUST finishing killing the third of three bosses in a group event when the server went down. God dammit.

Staab

There's tons of different looking stuff while you level...
I've 100%'d 4zones so far, hit level 40 and seen at least 10different sets (complete) for Light armor, are you guys checking karma vendors / drops / crafts / PvP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom