• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how much replayability exists here.

As I've been focusing entirely on one character, I try to 100% every place I come across, mostly because it gives a lot of exp and karma, but also because it's an achievement and, well, completion leads to satisfaction.
An unfortunate side-effect to this is the complete lack of replayability in my eyes. I fully realized this when I created a new character today and couldn't even finish the starting area for boredom. It's not like I can go somewhere I've never been before, because I've been everywhere and done everything (assuming I'm level 80 with 100% world completion). Doing all of that again is just a chore and no longer fun. A-Net made a lot of promises in the development of this game, and one of the big ones was that it wouldn't be a "theme-park-MMO". They've definitely made the first playthrough a much more rewarding experience than it might be in something like WoW, where every player's experience is the same, but they seem to have forgotten to do so for subsequent characters.
I am, of course, only speaking of PvE.
I feel like a huge part of this problem is that the traditional quest hasn't actually been removed, but rather redesigned to be slightly more realistic (A.K.A more vague). The end result is really the same: go kill some bandits and hit F on some items lying around until I'm satisfied, at which point you will be rewarded with exp/karma/items.
I honestly can't think of any realistic solution to this problem (apparently neither could A-Net), but it's altogether very disappointing for me. I'll be happy to finish my main storyline and world completion, but I don't think I'll ever make a new character (at least not for PvE).
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z7ziv/not_sure_how_much_replayability_exists_here/

I'm only level 28 but I agree with what he said.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Finally picked up my GW2 CE. So, I try to register the serial number for it and its gone. Number and digital deluxe are there.

"Should I be saving my karma until end game?"

I would recommend it. I mean, you level so fast in this game that gear you drop a few thousand karma on will be obsolete (probably by a random world drop) within a few hours. The God sets are also not cheap.

Anno

It's only terrible if you go for 100% on the second character. I find the combat differences to be enough to enjoy my guardian in Metrica even though I've 100% it with my necromancer.

I agree with this. All of the characters I enjoy are charr, even if the zones are the same. I just don't care about tracking down every single POI. The combat is fun enough.

eek5

Audίoboxer;41670894 said:
How are you enjoying your Necromancer?

It's fun/frustrating. I really hate how minions don't life regen out of combat (or in combat). One of the things I've seen people say is that the staff skill #2 will regen minions but it isn't true at all. It really hurts you in 25+ zones where enemies AOE a lot more and minions don't get out of the way so they'll get banged up and you'll end up losing them/waiting for CDs.

The suicide bomber minions are really tricky too; I'm not really good at using them but the other skills are fun.

I found a sigil with +5 condition damage stack on kill, up to 25 stacks so I've been playing around with a conditions build and it seems pretty fun but I still feel a bit weak. I haven't gotten any classes up this high so I can't compare. The class seems really complicated so I'm not even sure if I'm using it right.

Ken

Hm some strange version of the TP is up that doesn't correctly display your search limits on levels and constantly gives a No Results Found.

Artanisix

"Should I be saving my karma until end game?"

I would recommend it. I mean, you level so fast in this game that gear you drop a few thousand karma on will be obsolete (probably by a random world drop) within a few hours. The God sets are also not cheap.

What are god sets? And how much are they?

"What are god sets? And how much are they?"

Spoilers just for those who care:

There are 5 temples (one for each God) in the Ruins of Orr that have a relatively lengthy chain of dynamic events leading up to a boss fight. After said boss fight, a vendor appears that allows you buy a set of exotic gear for ~50k karma per set piece. I've beaten the Dwayna temple, which was actually pretty easy, have not gotten to the others. Balthazar supposedly scales really poorly to large amounts of players currently, have failed the event chain leading up to it. Lyssa requires at least 3 groups completing 3 different dynamic events simultaneously to unlock. Haven't heard/seen anything about Grenth or Melandru temples.

eek5

Hm some strange version of the TP is up that doesn't correctly display your search limits on levels and constantly gives a No Results Found.

Also super sketchy listing/buying and seems like putting buy offers doesn't take at all (not like yesterday where it'd eventually take your money but not list that you're buying)

NIN90

Pwetty game. Especially that Norn starting zone.
gw003dasnq.jpg

gw0117zs1a.jpg

gw0109osdn.jpg

gw0179ds0m.jpg

Vodh

OMG, it's only 11 more hours! I'm more hype about my suspension lift than I was about the headstart, me being on the fence till the last minute and all.

Sephon

Isn't this a problem with essentially every MMO in existence? I find spacing out the time between your mains and your alts does wonders for this kind of thing. (it worked in WoW for me).

I would say that it's even less of a problem in this game since you can level up in so many different ways.
Now we can just craft up professions or go PvPing with the alts instead of doing the same thing we already did with the main.

Won

While I enjoy the Engineer, I think I need to give the Ranger and the Mesmer a fair chance on my quest for a secondary character.
But Ranger sounds soooooo boring.

LTWheels

While I enjoy the Engineer, I think I need to give the Ranger and the Mesmer a fair chance on my quest for a secondary character.
But Ranger sounds soooooo boring.

Not tried Ranger yet, but the idea that you can make a melee Ranger is appealing to me.

BadTaste

Gah, I really want to dual wield 1H weapons as a Warrior but I feel they don't output near enough as much damage as a 2H Sword for example. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Won

I also have a big problem with the fact that all my characters are Asura at this point. lol

Stupid ugly Humans.

When people woe about replayability and I think 'oh god, I've made a huge mistake deciding to buy this game' I realise that if I ever got to 100% I would have gotten my moneys worth, it would have been an overall good experience (I hope) and I would proceed to stop playing and move on to something new. No big deal.

Kingbrave

Gah, I really want to dual wield 1H weapons as a Warrior but I feel they don't output near enough as much damage as a 2H Sword for example. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I use a 1h sword and axe and love it. My other weapon is a great sword or rifle depending on what i feel like doing.

Arksy

Isn't this a problem with essentially every MMO in existence? I find spacing out the time between your mains and your alts does wonders for this kind of thing. (it worked in WoW for me).

It goes way beyond MMOs it's a problem with most games generally, it'd be nice if it were better but whatever - It's not going to get WORSE from this point. The game has only been launched, who knows what they're going to come up with. The foundation is absolutely rock solid. Great engine, great art and great combat. There hasn't been an MMO yet with a base game THIS good to build on.

Torraz

I'm probably blind, but on a stream I just watched I saw cooldown numbers on the player's skillbar. Where do I activate these?

I just stumbled upon this insane jumping puzzle/adventure in Sector Zuhl but nobody through map chat in the region believes me :( I was trying to get them to come help because I'm at the very end and there's a group event for a Giant Destroyer Troll and I don't want to try to solo him, especially being a squishy Ele. Lame that they think I'm making it up. I just logged off and reloaded to make sure event is still there and it is. Hoping that I can get some people to get over to me and help with this boss.

If any of you are down, shoot me a pm and I'll check it tomorrow. It's in the Timberline Falls region (south Norn area) which is a lvl 50-60 area I believe, so if any of you are that high a level and reach that zone, it's right near the beginning of the zone and we can try this together. If no one is down, I'll hope for more adventuresome people being in the zone tomorrow. If that fails....I'll try to solo him.

P.S. you get an achievement for getting to the room I'm in so if any of you are trying to do all the jump puzzle achievements, you'll have to come here eventually anyway ;p Would be surprised if you don't get a chest from this guy too.

gunbo13

Finally got into Stormbluff.

Anyone have notes on the state of sPvP? Build stuff, map exploits, strats, etc... It will be helpful for me to catch up.

Also, any recommendations for a nice headset with mic? I'm in the market.

Thanks

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Finally got into Stormbluff.

Anyone have notes on the state of sPvP? Build stuff, map exploits, strats, etc... It will be helpful for me to catch up.

Also, any recommendations for a nice headset with mic? I'm in the market.

Thanks

Watch out!

Violet_0

Banned
okay, beat the final boss of TA on my second run with a group of randoms

pick a target order (we chose Eir > Rytlock > ?), when you down one the ghosts attack the boss while she tries to revive them, repeat until the fight is over. Always make sure to revive your teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom