• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm a Computer Engineer, so not really. :p

Hey, I'm a student in that! However, I think the gates are computers because the asura keep mentioning how they programmed them with algorithms to tune them to specific areas or something. They were obviously built by engineers... so hey! At least that is what the asura at one of the gates said when I talked to him in Divinity's Reach.

Ketch

Do you guys switch weapons a lot in the middle of a fight? I feel like maybe I am trying to be too clever and that's why I keep getting screwed up while playing mesmer.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Do you guys switch weapons a lot in the middle of a fight? I feel like maybe I am trying to be too clever and that's why I keep getting screwed up while playing mesmer.

I don't switch a LOT! But I switch mid battle if I change tactics.

for mesmer... you don't really need to? it all depends on what ya trying to do.

Or... give more details lol.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

I switch whenever I want to use a particular ability or when several of my current weapons abilities are on cool down.

TheExodu5

Banned
I keep wanting to play this, but every single time I start playing I quit because of the awful lag. I thought it would be alright one week in, but it's not showing any signs of getting better.

Ketch

I think I just need some general Mesmer tips. I really want to like the class, but I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing with him (lvl 13) I just keep getting mopped...

Do you try to get lots of clones out? Or just like shatter your clone at the first chance? Which shatter do you use and why? I keep using the confusion shatter expecting it to help me keep dudes off me, but it seems like it doesn't do anything. I also feel like I'm running around a lot trying to get away from melee but it doesn't work and I get downed anyway... What healing and utility spells do you use? I'm using the sylvari healing seed and clone, I only have two slots open right now, but I have a bunch of unused skill points.

So tips? what say you?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Your clones die when their target dies- shatter them appropriately. Skills that get you into stealth will go a long way toward keeping you alive.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I keep wanting to play this, but every single time I start playing I quit because of the awful lag. I thought it would be alright one week in, but it's not showing any signs of getting better.

Problems seem to be so random. I have experienced lag maybe twice in 50 hours of play time and it didn't last long either time. Unless you count the trading post lagging.

I did crash this morning 10 times in roughly 2 hours (none after) after experiencing only 1 crash before today.

TheExodu5

Banned
I experience pretty heavy lag about 70% of the time I play. It's kind of annoying.

Server could be the issue. I'm on Fort Aspenwood. In the Norn areas mostly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm 34, and about to start playing around with my Mesmer
KuGsj.gif

Beepos

Ok so what class/weapon combination in everyone's opinion seems the rarest. There is no short supply of 2handed guardians/warriors, and lots of thieves.

I think necromancer seems like one of the least in demand professions at the moment.

Wow, the trading post has got me totally hooked again. I've found a little craft then reselling trick for a weapon and it's giving me 10 silver each time. I wonder how long I can keep this up. Have to go to bed tho. Forget my whining about this game earlier today, it's incredible.

I had so much fun playing my warrior with a longbow today, I'm wondering if I should roll a ranger. :eek:

Same. Ranged weapons in general are amazing in WvW. Rangers seem to be pretty awesome as well as they can even hold their own in melee combat. They are like the opposite of a warrior. A warrior seems to focus on melee while being capable in ranged combat while a ranger is capable in melee while focusing on ranged.

Grayman

I think I just need some general Mesmer tips. I really want to like the class, but I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing with him (lvl 13) I just keep getting mopped...

Do you try to get lots of clones out? Or just like shatter your clone at the first chance? Which shatter do you use and why? I keep using the confusion shatter expecting it to help me keep dudes off me, but it seems like it doesn't do anything. I also feel like I'm running around a lot trying to get away from melee but it doesn't work and I get downed anyway... What healing and utility spells do you use? I'm using the sylvari healing seed and clone, I only have two slots open right now, but I have a bunch of unused skill points.

So tips? what say you?
the skill on F1 is a good damage dealer. F4 gives you distortion for evasion if you have a lot of enemies on you. Clones die when your target dies so always try to do something with them. The effects(except for the one that effects you) are AOE so you can spread damage/conditions over to other targets. Blowing 3 clones in a huge event gets you xp/loot off a lot of monsters.

Sometimes you want to keep them out for putting pressure on targets. The illusionary duelest is a good high damage phantasm for you to use with pistol offhand.

I swap weapons a lot to take advantage of multiple cool downs. Although with mesmer I also like a more static setup of sword/pistol for close range fighting one target and 2hand staff for support in big fights or keeping my distance. The 2 hand staff sends conditions and boons all over the play field, huge bonus in a big fight. Dropping a chaos storm on a fight then bringing out the staff using clones is like being a one man condition heavy party.

Ok so what class/weapon combination in everyone's opinion seems the rarest. There is no short supply of 2handed guardians/warriors, and lots of thieves.

I think necromancer seems like one of the least in demand professions at the moment.

From my experience, 50 hours played and up to lvl 34, I'd say Mesmer. Rarely do I ever see those cool looking clones running around in the midst of battle. Maybe it's different in the later levels but that's the one I see the least.

Today I went from 33 to 41, largely due to crafting
Went from 180 with my Jeweller to 400 :D And made my first exotic item!

I stuck a load of stuff on the TP before logging out so I hope it sells

Today I went from 33 to 41, largely due to crafting
Went from 180 with my Jeweller to 400 :D And made my first exotic item!

I stuck a load of stuff on the TP before logging out so I hope it sells

I bought one of those rare inscriptions from the karma vendor for like 325 karma and it gave me 4 craft levels the first craft :lol It was like 8k xp, somewhere around there. It'll probably keep giving good xp for several more crafts. Is that what you did?

I bought one of those rare inscriptions from the karma vendor for like 325 karma and it gave me 4 craft levels the first craft :lol It was like 8k xp, somewhere around there. It'll probably keep giving good xp for several more crafts. Is that what you did?

Yeah those are really good for exp, I would have leveled even faster but I ran out of Karma to buy them so I did it using the discovery panel, which also gives crap loads of exp!
At one point, crafting just 4 items gave me a whole character level, it was awesome :lol

markot

Banned
If I want to be a minion master, what level does it become excellent? These lower levels just aren't fun for me for PVE.

Well, by like lvl 30ish you can essentially have 6 minions out, but you need to spec the right one, there is a tree that gives minions reduces cool downs, and their attacks can heal you.

Also wepon wise, it depends, dagger is typically if you want to leech life and melee more, otherwise go for an axe or scepter mainhand weapon, staff is pretty much only for aoe or support, mind you it works with minions well too.

There are also traits that double minion life and what nots.

I pretty much ignore minions though >.< I like to save my slots for wells, and go dagger/focus for melee, im pretty tanky and can survive alot.

Yeah those are really good for exp, I would have leveled even faster but I ran out of Karma to buy them so I did it using the discovery panel, which also gives crap loads of exp!
At one point, crafting just 4 items gave me a whole character level, it was awesome :lol

Yeah the higher quality crafts make the XP seems to flow like water. Most leveling up in games gets slower as you get higher lvl but the crafting here is opposite, so good.

KingKong

ok I just had the coolest DE in Harathi Highlands

I'm clearing a haunted ruin and see an open coffin. It has a weird dialog message. In another room I find a statue of Dwyana or something and it says something about kneeling in front of it, so I do and a ghost pops up. She tells me who haunts the ruin and then when I go back to the coffin, it gives me a new dialog and starts a dynamic event to fight the boss. Totally awesome and wouldnt have happened if I didnt do it, since I saw like 5 people run to the statue, read the text, and just run away

Yeah the higher quality crafts make the XP seems to flow like water. Most leveling up in games gets slower as you get higher lvl but the crafting here is opposite, so good.

Yeah, I got 4 of those levels just in the past 2 hours, once you get into the swing of it you're on fire

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow, the trading post has got me totally hooked again. I've found a little craft then reselling trick for a weapon and it's giving me 10 silver each time. I wonder how long I can keep this up. Have to go to bed tho. Forget my whining about this game earlier today, it's incredible.
The trading post is so addictive.

Every time I come close to thinking I'm gonna get bored with something I get distracted by something else and it's two hours later :eek:

love watching the "items I've sold" screen grow...

markot

Banned
Everything I want to sell on the tp is essentially at merchant sale price, sometimes im better off just selling to a merchant, and everything I need is like hella expensive.

The only thing that irks me about crafting is in Lion's Arch the trading post NPC is not next to the stations, you have to run for a bit and it can get annoying when you're low on money and have to piece by piece buy mats or want to pick up profits. I'm sure this was done on purpose to help lower lag cause there's always 10-15 players around them.

Edit- but I did find a little shortcut tonight, an obvious one that an idiot like myself didn't notice... just go from the back and turn left instead of going north past the fountain. Probably 50% faster

I need to try out new classes. Not really clicking with the Ranger.

Thief would be my usual pick, but it seems there are a lot of thieves around. Engineer would be my next pick, because I am an engineer and that's cool. Mesmer is also interesting.

Decisions...

Don't be a hipster. Play Thief regardless of popularity.

Also I bought a Logitech G700. I hope I don't regret it.

If I want to be a minion master, what level does it become excellent? These lower levels just aren't fun for me for PVE.

I think minions will remain lackluster unless they gain regen at some point out of combat.

The only thing that irks me about crafting is in Lion's Arch the trading post NPC is not next to the stations, you have to run for a bit and it can get annoying when you're low on money and have to piece by piece buy mats or want to pick up profits. I'm sure this was done on purpose to help lower lag cause there's always 10-15 players around them.

And the birds constantly fluttering in?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Professionals craft in Rata Sum. Learn to love the accountancy waypoint.

Hmm I'll give Rata a shot. That awesome craft guide said LA was the best so I just stuck with it. It's also kinda neat with so many players not just NPCs in the area but if Rata is faster idc

bounchfx

so apparently you can only chat with one guild at a time? :( was hoping there was a /guild2 or something. Gonna be annoying having to switch reps all the time, but whatever. Still awesome.

markot

Banned
Theres quite a few people in rata, especially with the 'over flow' situation for lions arch alot of the time >.< Also its all organised in a nice manner.

so apparently you can only chat with one guild at a time? :( was hoping there was a /guild2 or something. Gonna be annoying having to switch reps all the time, but whatever. Still awesome.

Ohhhhh that's what 'represent' is for lmao... I thought it was just to toggle your guild tag on or off, derp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom