• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

wtf I just received an email on an address that's not the one linked to my GW2 account saying I requested a change (which I didn't).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey all!

Remember, newbie guided tour of WvW around 5:30PM EST today. If you've never played WvW and are feeling kind of overwhelmed, and want to see what all the fuss is about, this is the way to jump in!

I'm gonna start testing the queues out as early as possible.

You will need to get on Mumble (at least to listen) if you want to attend. Please post here if interested: http://gafguild.com/index.php?threa...ay-wvw-newbie-tour-5-30-pm-est.165/#post-3959

I'm sold. Would you please direct me to the latest tutorial/revision?
Here you go! (go to file->download)

Gafguild thread for discussion, help, impressions: http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/controller-gaf-configs.52/

Taffer

Again, I haven't had them scale for me yet. I keep getting zone-appropriate gear NOT for my level.

I haven't done much backpedaling though but 3 or so zones. It might be different in higher level areas but lowbie areas give lowbie loot.

This is what I've been doing (I'm level 35), starter zones gave rubbish, 15-25 zones gave useful stuff unusable by my profession.

KdoubleA

Switch from bow for a guarantee hit, steal into range, cloak and dagger into invis, activate assassins signet, then back-stab for ludicrous damage and spam heartseeker to get the kill. Glass cannon thieves are the best class for taking out people who depend on glass cannon builds, and they tend to be the people who're bad at the game and like calling folks scrubs.

It doesn't matter what kind of thief you run people will always get mad because the backstab/heartseeker builds are infamous right now.

I see. I used to run a similar build with Assassin's signet but switched that for skale venom (using a condition dmg + build that seems pretty effective right now). Also, it sounds like if you just spam heartseeker on these guys they're done for. It's also not easy to get that back stab if the player I was facing would start dodging and jumping around as soon as i stealth.

Trey

Stuff like defending buildings in a village under attack by enemy mobs and such is fun, but the boss stuff in this game is just very meh.

I agree. It's because they don't provide you with objectives to complete while fighting the boss, for the most part. The combat isn't dynamic. It's about the only thing that doesn't set GW2 apart for me: how you're still whacking at the knees of stupidly high-health'd enemies.

Can't wait for MMOs to progress further than that design limitation.

Ugh, high level areas are a bitch to traverse on your own. So many cripples, pulls, life leechers, etc. Even with 2 aegis, stability and haste abilities I still find myself limping away from enemies just to get somewhere.

High level zones are poorly done for solo players IMO, few mins into the zone and the enemies are already 5 levels ahead of you, also not enough events and hearts to level you quickly to make it easier to head deeper into the zone, if you are playing with people then it's easy go through the zone, yesterday my guild walked all over Blazeridge Steppes, went from 41-50 with ease, today it's a bit tougher on my own in Iron Marches...

I had a great time running AC with Kayos and company. The dungeon didn't turn out to be as difficult as I had been reading here and other places, but there were definitely some pretty ridiculous encounters. Once you start breaking your armor, if you don't repair, you begin to go down pretty fast, but other than that it wasn't too bad. Having a nearby waypoint and repair station, makes everything pretty painless.

I disliked how most of the battles devolved into a ranged assault but I did manage a fair amount of weapon switching during most of the fights. I would usually switch to melee for Backstab and Heartseeker damage once the mob dropped below about 50% HP. Overall, I was a bit disappointed that they didn't incorporate many interesting mechanics, especially environmental based into the fights.

The rewards were pretty much garbage, especially for those that were over leveled for the dungeon, but I did seem to net a good amount of experience and silver.

Here's Kuroshiro, my level 32 Thief:

ibwqgWa5ri3X5f.png

isFPRPvFhc9ng.png

iDXUDOQdFqfmh.png

I got this really nifty hat and steam punk sword from AC, so I decided to go full pirate for a while:

iQaph925pf9Mn.png

Apparently, it was fate because I dumped some junk greens into the Mystic Forge and it gave me this:

icWCosF9CktfS.png

Welcome to the Order of Shadows! Not exactly what I envisioned for a "secret" society:

ieUD72YK0QCEK.png

Here's a shot of my Elementalist alt, Alice Drake. Played Elementalist up to about level 16 yesterday and had an absolute blast. It's a really fun class!

iEaOT9mM6cjdR.png

Jack_AG

Banned
wtf I just received an email on an address that's not the one linked to my GW2 account saying I requested a change (which I didn't).
Odd... I thought email changes were disabled due to security. Change ur password. ANet needs to get authenticators rolling out fast - at least a mobile version ASAP.

Account security should take precedent over TP, IMO.

vaelic

Banned
hey all. i got an email that someone requested my PW be changed, and it wasnt me. any way to change my pw or is that busted?

inky

High level zones are poorly done for solo players IMO, few mins into the zone and the enemies are already 5 levels ahead of you, also not enough events and hearts to level you quickly to make it easier to head deeper into the zone, if you are playing with people then it's easy go through the zone, yesterday my guild walked all over Blazeridge Steppes, went from 41-50 with ease, today it's a bit tougher on my own in Iron Marches...

The game feels designed around the idea that you'll find people around you all the time. I don't dislike the concept but when exploring or going for the skill point hidden in a far away corner by yourself and having everything aggro is not cool. Fighting everything to get there isn't either.

The 70-80 areas I've been to don't have hearts, so it all happens through DEs. It's a nice idea and helps replayability, but everything hits super hard and has a disable of some kind. Some enemies stack 35 bleeds on you and suddenly you find yourself limping being chased by 4-5 mobs, one of them with a pull for sure, and at half health. It's annoying more than anything, especially because there aren't many people around to take them off you.

I would buy a 15-30 minutes no aggro pill or something, just to go through my personal story or gather in peace for sure.

Deitus

that's a really nice armor

I was wearing the exact same thing on my Elementalist (except for the gloves) until I recently switched out the top. It's nice how, after getting rid of that godawful default female mage armor, you can make a classy looking female mage while you are still in the starting zone.

Dolemitesooner

Neo Member
Some of them are fun when they feel like some narrative is going on. But the boss fights have for the most part all been awful. Just a big zerg of random players. It was exact same problem with RIFT and its dynamic event bosses, it was boring compared a regular group fight in a regular MMO boss encounter.

Stuff like defending buildings in a village under attack by enemy mobs and such is fun, but the boss stuff in this game is just very meh.

The Dynamic events are terrible. The Boss satnd there and everyone spams him for 20 minutes. In a tranditional Mmo you are calling for heals. Taking aggro from a tank. Truning the boos for backstabs. With Dynamic event bosses in this game I wanna take a nap.

Ok, narrowed it down to Mesmer vs. Engineer. Can someone who played both classes comment on which one appears more fun for him/her and why?

Take this with a grain of salt as I've only leveled each character to 10ish now, but I'm going the mesmer route for various reasons:

1) The lack of a grenade auto-attack. This may sound silly, but grenades really pack a wallop and several of the 80s I've consulted say they are the best overall weapon for end game PVE/PVP. Now just imagine yourself smashing the #1 key over and over and over again every second for every attack. This tremendously complicates kiting, since it's very difficult to shoot and scoot without some form of auto-attack on the nades.

2) Turret management. I've read they get much better and more survivable in the end game, but at the current level I've reached they get basically one-shot.

3) Engineers get limited weapon options. I know the kits make up the difference, but you will only be equipping rifles, pistols, and I believe harpoon guns (?). The diversity comes into play by using up one of your skill slots to swap over to other kits. Not a fan.

4) Mesmers are so unique. Granted, I didn't play GW1 a lot so they may seem old hat to many. But coming from Warcraft, there really is nothing like them out there. The illusions/clones are a great mechanism, particularly in conjunction with the stealth, reflections, dazes, explosions, etc.

5) Unlike engineers, mesmers have fairly solid melee options. The sword/pistol or sword/torch setups are very, very fun.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
hey all. i got an email that someone requested my PW be changed, and it wasnt me. any way to change my pw or is that busted?

Do you have email authentication on? If so and you didn't see anyone attempt to hack into your account then that email is fake.

Just assume that all PW requests are fake. I mean... it's not that hard to tell if the email is a fake/scam because you didn't make a request and there's an authenticator in place.

Trey

The game feels designed around the idea that you'll find people around you all the time. I don't dislike the concept but when exploring or going for the skill point hidden in a far away corner by yourself and having everything aggro is not cool. Fighting everything to get there isn't either.

The 70-80 areas I've been to don't have hearts, so it all happens through DEs. It's a nice idea and helps replayability, but everything hits super hard and has a disable of some kind. Some enemies stack 35 bleeds on you and suddenly you find yourself limping being chased by 4-5 mobs, one of them with a pull for sure, and at half health. It's annoying more than anything, especially because there aren't many people around to take them off you.

I would buy a 15-30 minutes no aggro pill or something, just to go through my personal story or gather in peace for sure.

I figured that had to happen, because up to level 50 zones, you can just run right past most enemies without repercussion. Makes things super convenient but non challenging. And the fact that these higher level zones don't have hearts make it obvious they want you to waste enemies in stead to get to your objectives.

sixthsense

Neo Member
Does anyone have problem doing storyline quest called "Stealing Secret" that you get when you choose order of whisper ? Is there anyway to get pass that ?

"Gear in general doesn't seem too exciting judging from what people have said."

That's correct. The god Armors do have a very extravagant look, much different from the stuff you get 1-79, but it's still just a single armor skin. Extremely lame. Also, the Balthazar temple is broken and can't be completed.

"Any screens of them moody?"

Yeah, I took some, sec.

Desaan

The Black Lion Trading still being down so long after release is really starting to piss me off big time, especially when it comes to crafting. Spending way too much time farming mats and trophies just to skill up is becoming counter productive. Crafting without the BLT up is excruciating.

A few quick observations from me:

- From a total skeptic, the 360 controller configuration is really, REALLY good. I was doing some test riding on it late last night with Hawkian's help and it is super well done. I don't have the full muscle memory down yet, but it's fairly intuitive and a completely viable alternative to the kb/m concept. From a purely combat-focused dynamic, it's actually even easier to access all your skills and abilities than the traditional kb/m setup. From a movement standpoint, there are fairly even with kb/m coming out slightly ahead. Menu management and navigation is a wash, although it takes a bit of adjustment to get used to pointing and clicking on the controller.

- I suffer from altitis with the best of them. At this point, I've taken every character I am interested in to at least the 8-10 range. Thief, guardian, necro, engineer, and mesmer. Here is my mini-take on each class for those also on the fences.

1) Thief: a blast to play, spammable initiative skills give the class a speed-demon feeling. Lots of mobility, lots of get-out-of-jail-free cards when you're overwhelmed, decent damage. The pistols and bow add a whole separate dimension to the traditional "rogue" setup and make this class a lot of fun to play. Extremely squishy when your escape cooldowns and dodge aren't available. Heartseeker will either get an increased initiative cost (most likely) or a cooldown (least likely). It's broken as it because you can spam it 3-4 times, it creates a moment of invulnerability for you, and it totally jacks stuff up.

2) Guardian: equip a greatsword and you will understand why this class is so popular in game. Excellent defensive skills, complete with some of the old paragon standards from GW1. Can go toe-to-toe with multiple monsters at once and come out on top. A bit lacking on the ranged front compared to other classes, but that's not exactly what this class is designed for. No idea how well they'll hold up offensively compared to the others, but I wouldn't approach the guardian class if your sole goal is to make things explode quickly. For people who want to be unique snowflakes, this is probably not your class unless you want to be male human guardian #247,093.

3) Necro: One thing you need to be aware of from the start is that pets really aren't holding up too well. Their AI is stupid, they don't regen health between fights, and they don't last very long. I suppose if you trait appropriately you could pull off a minion master build, but if your sole reason to play a necromancer is to lead an army of death you should probably fire Diablo 2 back up. That said, this class is beastly in terms of AOE (when you equip a staff) and applying conditions. I could see them absolutely wrecking havoc in a PVP zergfest provided you aren't being focused. I have no problem getting golds on every dynamic event since I basically tag everything with the marks on the ground. Also, for a light armor class the necro is remarkably durable. Death shroud is an additional health bar and a very unique skill.

4) Engineer: A purely ranged class from what I've seen. Very limited weapons options (hope you like pistols and rifles). The kits are what adds the diversity to the class, but I found them cumbersome. The grenades in particular, as I mentioned in my last post, are a pain to work while you're kiting away. Turrets suck at low levels but supposedly rule later on. People say this class really opens up and gets fun at the 20 range, and that's probably true. It may very well be my alt in the future since I love the steampunk feel, but right now I'm putting the profession on the back burner.

5) Mesmer: My new main. A great ranged class with solid enough melee options for people like me who like to dance in and out of combat (or more likely when you aren't given much of a choice by your opponent). The clones aren't a cumbersome mechanic at all like I originally expected, but instead a sheer joy to play. I may be the only person in the world who appreciates that they don't stick around after your target dies. This class feels like a magically-inclined thief, complete with the stealth, dazing, and controlling options. My character may end up hitting like a wet noodle at 80 for all I know (though I've read they hold their own), but at the end of the day this game is about having fun and the mesmer clicks for me. Unlike the guardian, THIS is the class to play to satisfy any absurd unique snowflake desires you may have.

Mesmer: "My name is Legion: for we are many."

Morokh

Well i received a token (consumable) that allows me to swap an item stats with the looks of another when I finished exploring the first area of the game, so that's another way to spice gear look a bit i guess. (even if it says level 1 to 79, i'd guess that there is a lvl 80 equivalent)

Always looking for shots of Human Male high-level Necromancers btw :p

About the guild, i see people posting character names and account names to get an invite, what do i need to give to get one ? and who can i contact ?

(a question that surely was asked a thousand times but i did not really follow the whole thing ... ;p )

Kingbrave

Well i received a token (consumable) that allows me to swap an item stats with the looks of another when I finished exploring the first area of the game, so that's another way to spice gear look a bit i guess. (even if it says level 1 to 79, i'd guess that there is a lvl 80 equivalent)

Always looking for shots of Human Male high-level Necromancers btw :p

About the guild, i see people posting character names and account names to get an invite, what do i need to give to get one ? and who can i contact ?

(a question that surely was asked a thousand times but i did not really follow the whole thing ... ;p )

Hawkian the Blade for the gaf overflow guild I think...

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me with a farming location. I need a whopping 90 small scales for 6 hearty intricate wool insignias (full gladiator set). Barracuda are supposed to drop them as well as enemies like drakes, I guess?

I think I need to take a break from the game. Playing it has made me feel tired, aggressive and anxious. Video games are addictive but they can have bad effects on your health and interactions with other people.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just a reminder!

Hey all!

Remember, newbie guided tour of WvW around 5:30PM EST today. If you've never played WvW and are feeling kind of overwhelmed, and want to see what all the fuss is about, this is the way to jump in!

I'm gonna start testing the queues out as early as possible.

You will need to get on Mumble (at least to listen) if you want to attend. Please post here if interested: http://gafguild.com/index.php?threa...ay-wvw-newbie-tour-5-30-pm-est.165/#post-3959
It would be great if some people from GAFO might be inclined to participate as we are rather influence-starved over here and we'll definitely be earning some in WvW.
I think I need to take a break from the game. Playing it has made me feel tired, aggressive and anxious. Video games are addictive but they can have bad effects on your health and interaction with other people.
Holy crap man. Go for a bike ride or something?

Just a reminder!

It would be great if some people from GAFO might be inclined to participate as we are rather influence-starved over here and we'll definitely be earning some in WvW.

Holy crap man. Go for a bike ride or something?

It it meant for people that have never played at all? Meaning are we actually going to be playing or just walking around?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It is meant for people who have never played before or barely have. I'd like it to be as safe as possible but I can't guarantee we won't run into any action. :p

sgossard

Thanks a lot Hawkian. Count me in as a converted. I completely recommend everyone to at least try the controller once. It does feel like a different game.

Just one question. In the instructions it says:

11) Make sure "Promote Abilities to Full Targets" is disabled. This will let you attack enemies without actually hard-locking them, just by looking at them. You can always hard-lock onto them by using the Cycle Target bindings.

I can't find that option. I'm almost sure it's just a different wording of the same thing anyway.

Also, am I supposed to see a crosshair? 'cause I don't see any.

Again, thanks a lot. Works great.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks a lot Hawkian. Count me in as a converted. I completely recommend everyone to at least try the controller once. It does feel like a different game.

Just one question. In the instructions it says:

11) Make sure "Promote Abilities to Full Targets" is disabled. This will let you attack enemies without actually hard-locking them, just by looking at them. You can always hard-lock onto them by using the Cycle Target bindings.

I can't find that option. I'm almost sure it's just a different wording of the same thing anyway.

Also, am I supposed to see a crosshair? 'cause I don't see any.

Again, thanks a lot. Works great.
Yeah they weirdly changed the wording, good catch. It's just "Promote Skill Target." (uncheck this)

The crosshair only shows up in windowed mode, sadly. We can't override the fullscreen display yet. Some other app may be able to provide this functionality some day.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Holy crap, every vista in a Sylvari area plays the theme from Epic Struggle. I'm in heaven.

GAFO's about to mob something for an hour, come join us!!!

Do you have email authentication on? If so and you didn't see anyone attempt to hack into your account then that email is fake.

Just assume that all PW requests are fake. I mean... it's not that hard to tell if the email is a fake/scam because you didn't make a request and there's an authenticator in place.

Do you have to do something to manually turn on email authentication? The first time I logged in (first day of headstart), I got a confirmation email from Anet but it never actually said that it was enabling email authentication. Since then I haven't been able to find any way to enable it.

Does anyone have problem doing storyline quest called "Stealing Secret" that you get when you choose order of whisper ? Is there anyway to get pass that ?

Supposedly fixed in today's patch.

eeks beaten. Why don't I refresh pages before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom