• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsin

I had a great time with some GAFers in CM last night. We lost one person half way through, but kept on truckin and finished the instance anyways. It was quite fun and i look forward to the next dungeon I can with with the guildies.

arimanius

Is anyone here having the same problem? Can't decide on a single character, always want to switch classes.

ibnZB.jpg

Oh you have no idea. I delete and create new guys all day long. Try them out, do some pvp and decide nah, and start the process all over again.

It's to the point my friend is telling me just to buy more character slots and get it over with.

My highest guy is a level 17 Norn warrior. My issue is I can't find a class that I like in pvp and pve. For example loved the guardian in pve hated him in pvp.

I've told myself no more and I'm leveling my warrior. We'll see how long that lasts :(

Kungen's warrior build is insane...just saw him taking on 5 people in wvw o_O
http://www.twitch.tv/kungentv

Kungen's stream is the only stream I enjoy watching. Not only is he awesome as what he does he doesn't come off as a douche canoe.

sgossard

I'm really tempted to try Hawkian's gamepad setup but, is there a key for turning around 180º? (i don't remember what is it called in-game). I just found out about this key and now I use it a lot. Roll through an enemy and then turn around.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Working all day on Labor Day isn't awesome, but at least I get time and a half.

I'll enjoy playing plenty when I get home at 6, though.

Nymerio

Man leveling crafting is hard when both my skills (leatherworking and weaponsmithing) need those things that drops from monsters and tons of them D:.

Yeah the amount of fine crafting materials you need is crazy. I now have leatherworking at around 125 and weaponsmithing at around 100. I've found the best way to get the materials is to do events where the mobs drop these supply bags. I think they drop more often than the crafting mats themself and they can contain yellow items.

So...what are my options for buying the digital copy of the game right now? I don't want to go to a brick and mortar and my optical drive is fucked anyway.

Ok, narrowed it down to Mesmer vs. Engineer. Can someone who played both classes comment on which one appears more fun for him/her and why?
Haha, those are the exact same two classes I'm having trouble deciding between. I played an Engineer up to about level 15, and I enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I want to keep going or make a Mesmer. I'm afraid I'm not much help as my mind is really torn. Both classes seem potentially very fun. I'm thinking about leveling a Mesmer up to 15 as well and deciding from there. So hard deciding on a main. Not to mention deciding on a race for my Mesmer, I'm thinking either Asura or Sylvari. My engineer's a Norn.

I'm really tempted to try Hawkian's gamepad setup but, is there a key for turning around 180º? (i don't remember what is it called in-game). I just found out about this key and now I use it a lot. Roll through an enemy and then turn around.
About face. I have it binded to the X key myself.

Achtius

I love my mesmer. The thing is that I dont like the pet management of Ranger and Necro. I think that these critters are always in the way of my character and I feel that my character is weaker and needs external help.

Mesmer is a bit like Naruto with the clones.With the Staff you get extremely solid all-around skills. With a sword you get to deal melee damage. skill #2 is like the F1 on warrior with sword. Its a crazy stationary flashes of flurries that give good melee damage.

the off hand weapons of the Mesmer are great. Pistol is one of my favorites because with sword + pistol you get this awesome almost pirate look. but its not yawwrr pirate, but more like 16th century noble. its really cool. with off hand weapons like sword, focus and pistol they all give you different sorts of phantasms.

these phantasms are great. in traits you can give them more health to make them more durable. i personally havent used them as suicide bombs. you can make them explode to cause various conditions. i havent used that. i just think its fun to have 3 copies of me all the time. they are never in the way, and sometimes they are behind me. you get skills that make you trade places with them or some that will take half your damage.

mesmer greatsword brings something completely different to the table as well. the mesmer has great utuilities that makes clones, and illussions too. im only lvl 20 on my memsmer but i really enjoy her.

I still don't get mesmer. They don't seem to do much damage. A lot of conditions but doesn't seem that useful when a mob of monster is attacking you. I am barely able to do personal story, whereas my ranger do it with a breeze. I don't even know what I am doing wrong with a Mesmer.

Jack_AG

Banned
Don't think it does. Just buy the rune.
10 slotters req 75 to craft. I have an Armorsmith, Leatherworker and Tailor. All of them require 75 because the recipe is RED until you hit 75.

The Wiki might be inaccurate seeing as how red means you still can't make it.

Deadly

Has anyone been completing all the maps? My friend noted to me that it would be more advantageous to finish the maps at max level so you'd get end-game items instead from the rewards since it scales.

"I still don't get mesmer. They don't seem to do much damage. A lot of conditions but doesn't seem that useful when a mob of monster is attacking you. I am barely able to do personal story, whereas my ranger do it with a breeze. I don't even know what I am doing wrong with a Mesmer."

It's really difficult to solo as a mesmer until you get enough traits/skills to do a tanky phantasm build.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
About the big ass dragon (world event), wich area and level does it occur?

You realize Guild Wars 2 has a bunch of dragons right? Even the number 2 in the logo is a dragon.

Guesong

I still don't get mesmer. They don't seem to do much damage. A lot of conditions but doesn't seem that useful when a mob of monster is attacking you. I am barely able to do personal story, whereas my ranger do it with a breeze. I don't even know what I am doing wrong with a Mesmer.

Sword/OH (Sword or Pistol)
+
Staff

Truely the way to go. Skill Dueling first to nab reduced cooldown on Sword skills and extra crit chance. Then skill the last category to nab minor that reduce cooldown on illusion-summoning skills.

Abuse Phantasmal Duelist/Swordsman, get Phantasmal Defender asap and for extra cherry on the cake, get Signet of Illusions later on.

Congratulations, you now never die with proper usage of Chaos Armor/Chaos Storm and Blurred Strikes.

I'm a level 18 Mesmer, I haven't played much but I have 100% two 1-15 zones and some cities

I'm really enjoying the game when it comes to exploring, I just dislike how so many dynamic quests is just like 20 players zerg rushing everything.

thetrin

Has anyone been completing all the maps? My friend noted to me that it would be more advantageous to finish the maps at max level so you'd get end-game items instead from the rewards since it scales.

Yep. This is true.

I just dislike how so many dynamic quests is just like 20 players zerg rushing everything.

Am I the only person that absolutely loves large scale dynamic events?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
About face. I have it binded to the X key myself.
Back + LT. Feels good.

With our (Weltall really deserves most of the credit, not me!) config, if you find yourself asking "is there a key for.." it's yes.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I was told it did not scale at all? Weird.

njean777

I feel like I am playing thief wrong for some reason, I still have level 4 or so daggers, and now am level 21. I haven't had any daggers drop from anything. I am a weapon smith, but am totally confused on how to get new dagger recipes. Do I have to buy them or find them?

Am I the only person that absolutely loves large scale dynamic events?

Some of them are fun when they feel like some narrative is going on. But the boss fights have for the most part all been awful. Just a big zerg of random players. It was exact same problem with RIFT and its dynamic event bosses, it was boring compared a regular group fight in a regular MMO boss encounter.

Stuff like defending buildings in a village under attack by enemy mobs and such is fun, but the boss stuff in this game is just very meh.

It totally scales.

Upwards generally, but many events do not scale downward. Not enough players in an area for an event, and it can be next to impossible to beat. Bunch of event mobs also like to spawn in large clumbs of 8-10 mobs which one or two players can not fight against since they all aggro at once. Many of the events seem to have a minimum spawn on mobs and such no matter how few players are there so if you don't have enough players, it can be incredibly difficult or next to impossible sometimes.

Jack_AG

Banned
Odd... when I went back to other zones on my warrior I got items that were level-appropriate for the zone, not my level or even close.

Or is it only certain zones which give better loot for rewards... ?

thetrin

I feel like I am playing thief wrong for some reason, I still have level 4 or so daggers, and now am level 21. I haven't had any daggers drop from anything. I am a weapon smith, but am totally confused on how to get new dagger recipes. Do I have to buy them or find them?

Are you buying stuff from heart vendors?

That was fast! They fixed the level 30 quest, "Stealing Secrets". I can finally continue on my level 32 Thief. I was having a lot of fun with my Elementalist alt though...

I love how they are addressing and fixing these issues with nightly builds rather than having to wait weeks and months for patches.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Holy crap how did you make it? There are weapon sellers and karma vendors all over the place- even a basic dagger at your level is better than whatever you have from level 4!

Make one bronze dagger blade, one dagger hilt and one of the items that you can craft that conveys stats (the second tier of these is what you want) and put all three items in the discovery panel and you should be able to create a level 15 dagger. I presume it works similar for later tiers of bits with higher resulting stats but I've not levelled far enough to get there yet!

thetrin

I dont even know what a heart vendor is lol, there is so much in this game it is overwhelming for me.

You know those gold hearts you complete as you do tasks in the area? They become vendors when you complete a heart.

RossCo

Neo Member
Guild Wars has already spoilt me for other games. I just organised buy Borderlands 2 with some co-workers, and confidently stated that it would be ok if I levelled before them as I would just be scaled down when we wanted to play together.

Doh.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

So I should finish capping off each map at max level? I was still planning on clearing every level, etc.

inky

Ugh, high level areas are a bitch to traverse on your own. So many cripples, pulls, life leechers, etc. Even with 2 aegis, stability and haste abilities I still find myself limping away from enemies just to get somewhere.

KdoubleA

Every time I kill a Guardian or Warrior all they say is "Scrub"

Wait, wait, wait...People are hating on Thieves? Scrubs? Really? I'm now sad :(

Taking out a Guardian or Warrior as a thief is not an easy task; if you mess up just setting up the right conditions or traps, or setting off your stealth at the right time, you're a goner. Scrubs? Nah...far from it!
*feelings hurt* :p

Dash27

I believe it does scale and I've found this resource to be great for completing maps:

http://gw2.mmorpg-life.com/interactive-map-of-tyria/3992/

If you are having issues finding your way up to a vista for example or cant figure out how to get to a POI you can click on it and they usually have screenshots of how to get to it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Taking out a Guardian or Warrior as a thief is not an easy task; if you mess up just setting up the right conditions or traps, or setting off your stealth at the right time, you're a goner. Scrubs? Nah...far from it!
The Thieves' Guild absorbs all criticism with silent dignity, knowing that soon all of their backs will be turned.

Jack_AG

Banned
I believe it does scale and I've found this resource to be great for completing maps:

http://gw2.mmorpg-life.com/interactive-map-of-tyria/3992/

If you are having issues finding your way up to a vista for example or cant figure out how to get to a POI you can click on it and they usually have screenshots of how to get to it.
Again, I haven't had them scale for me yet. I keep getting zone-appropriate gear NOT for my level.

I haven't done much backpedaling though but 3 or so zones. It might be different in higher level areas but lowbie areas give lowbie loot.

Switch from bow for a guarantee hit, steal into range, cloak and dagger into invis, activate assassins signet, then back-stab for ludicrous damage and spam heartseeker to get the kill. Glass cannon thieves are the best class for taking out people who depend on glass cannon builds, and they tend to be the people who're bad at the game and like calling folks scrubs.

It doesn't matter what kind of thief you run people will always get mad because the backstab/heartseeker builds are infamous right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom