• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

KePoW

Banned
Wait...the heart guys are gear vendors?

kmXCF.gif

Uhh yeah....have you never talked to them before?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This may be a really dumb question, but is there any dungeons or instances like in WOW? I am at the Brisban Wildlands and I haven't seen any instances that you can do with 5 people like in WOW. Is there a instance finder or something where it can group you up automatically like in WOW? I know I probably sound like a complete scrub, but WOW is the only other MMO I have played.

First is at 30, and you'll receive letters notifying you of their existence.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
They are but you have to use karma to purchase, and it sounds like it is best to save karma for end game.

Also the mail you get from completing hearts has money. >.>
Gah, don't tell people to save their karma. It's awful advice.

KingKong

Ouch, the masters training manual is 1G

Ive barely spent money all game and have been doing tons of hearts and I had around 2.5G at level 40

Is there a free/cheap way to reset my traits or would I have to buy the manual again?

thetrin

Ouch, the masters training manual is 1G

Ive barely spent money all game and have been doing tons of hearts and I had around 2.5G at level 40

Is there a free/cheap way to reset my traits or would I have to buy the manual again?

Trainers let you respec for 90 copper.

mik83kuu

Banned
Gah, don't tell people to save their karma. It's awful advice.

As someone who dinged level 80 last weekend I have to agree with this. Look guys, this game doesn't have quest rewards like most MMOs - you have to buy your "reward". If you are constantly well-geared you will have more fun and level faster. Who cares if you have a piece or two of some armor set or weapon saved up when you ding 80? How about you have fun leveling with decent gear and then have fun farming Karma at level 80 when it's ton faster and more fun.

"Gah, don't tell people to save their karma. It's awful advice."

It's really not. You do just fine with the white gear and you level so fast that spending 1k on something that'll be obsolete in a few hours is a bit silly.

It's really not. You do just fine with the white gear and you level so fast that spending 1k on something that'll be obsolete in a few hours is a bit silly.

Basically this. TBH, I had various level gear before hitting 80 and then when I hit 80 purchased a whole bunch of lvl 80 from karma vendors and didn't notice much of a difference at all. =\

mik83kuu

Banned

White gear has nothing on the quest rewards and farming Karma at level 80 is much easier then farming monies while leveling (and still keeping up with skill books).

Hoo-doo

Banned

But getting new gear is fun. Nothing silly about that in the slightest.

I don't play GW2 for the race to 80, I want to deck out my character in awesome weapons and armor and look good chopping through enemies.

thetrin

There's nothing silly about being geared to take on harder and more enemies at lower levels. The gear is there to be bought.

Risen Priest of Balthazar is absolutely silly. Absolutely. I'd really like to know who at ArenaNet thought it'd be great to have an encounter where a mob fears large groups of players into instant death. Not downed, straight to dead, return to waypoint, pay 2 silver. Also nearest waypoint is a 2 minute walk away. Also near-instant random blink on players then hitting them for 15000 damage. 3 zeroes. I am all for difficulty, but this was just some random numbers and abilities thrown into the game.

Is there a buff or food that make you unable to get conditions? One that lasts a little whle
But you'd need the whole group to use it

Grayman

I am wanting to rush all characters to 80 considering how crappy that aspect of the loot system is. Gear being every ten levels would have given the game some of the permanence it is lacking.

I am so addicted to cooking now, got up to level 115 in one sitting after making the switch. Not only that but seeing all the ingredients and making the foods and snacks make me really hungry.

mackaveli

Anyone know where the dragon's are located throughout and the spawn times?

I just fought the Shattered Dragon and it was fun.

Thanks.

"I don't play GW2 for the race to 80, I want to deck out my character in awesome weapons and armor and look good chopping through enemies."

But none of the generic 1-79 armor/weapons actually look good. Well, maybe one or two weapons here and there, I'll concede that.

notworksafe

Uhh yeah....have you never talked to them before?

I talked to a couple after the first few hearts but all they sold was salvage kits and food so I've just been ignoring the rest.

Also I've been using karma to buy stuff to level up cooking, but I still have a lot.

Won

Funny to see the Engineer vs Mesmer talk. I have a similar problem now after putting more than 2 minutes into the Mesmer.
Both are cool, but Mesmer just feels much easier too manage, at least early on. Only real problem I have is that the whole exploding Illusions stuff lacks proper feedback. I have no idea if it's worthwhile or not.
Also shooting laser beams out of a 2h sword!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Attention WvW Tour attendees!

I need to delay this event by an hour-ish due to a family obligation. Very very sorry and I'll be back home as soon as possible. If somebody could make a post regarding this in the thread on gafguild.com I would really appreciate it! My sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

The new event time will be 6:30PM EST

Artanisix

I usually upgrade my gear every ten levels, I find that works best for me (if I don't find upgrades from drops, which is pretty normal). Level 66 with 51k karma so I think I'm at a healthy spot right now.

Attention WvW Tour attendees!

I need to delay this event by an hour-ish due to a family obligation. Very very sorry and I'll be back home as soon as possible. If somebody could make a post regarding this in the thread on gafguild.com I would really appreciate it! My sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

The new event time will be 6:30PM EST

Updated the GAF guild thread. I'm going to try to make it since I know nothing about the WvW mechanics in this game, but I'll have to see what time we're having dinner here. If I don't make it, hope you all have a great time! Get influence :)

Zeliard

I am so addicted to cooking now, got up to level 115 in one sitting after making the switch. Not only that but seeing all the ingredients and making the foods and snacks make me really hungry.

Cooking discovery is awesome but I keep running out of inventory space :<

ibfzC96HrAL5A4.gif

TDLink

So the rest of the map is room of expansions right?

There is a "Desert Gate" POI in Fields of Ruin but there's no zone behind it

There are a few areas they have set aside for free content updates prior to the first expansion. That is one of them. It will lead to the Crystal Desert set of zones, which they have already confirmed will be some of the ones coming. The Ring of Fire areas will also be coming at some point.

The rest of the map that isn't yet filled in may be expansion material or other free content updates but so far Crystal Desert and Ring of Fire is all they have talked about.

Spookie

How easy. Is the Thief. Come on now ANet, how is spamming 2 balanced?

SQUEE BUT IT'S SO FUN! Fucking terrible ele class, having to juggle elements when I should have been doing this all along!

Cooking discovery is awesome but I keep running out of inventory space :<

My discoveries stalled once I ran out of onions so I took a break till the TP is back up. Don't feel like spamming /map chat for onions, or grinding lower level areas. Onions are in like everything

I wish there was like a google alert or text msg we could get when the TP goes up so we know when to log on. TEkno should edit the title when it's up, put it in caps with lots of **** and !!!!.

Deadly

So I should finish capping off each map at max level? I was still planning on clearing every level, etc.
Yep. What you can do is clear it to like 98% and then go back and finish it when you reach cap. It's what I'll do from now on. Sucks I'm already at like 25% overall though.

KePoW

Banned
I wish there was like a google alert or text msg we could get when the TP goes up so we know when to log on. TEkno should edit the title when it's up, put it in caps with lots of **** and !!!!.

You know you can level Cooking strictly from buying NPC vendor mats?

Ferrio

Banned
How easy. Is the Thief. Come on now ANet, how is spamming 2 balanced?

SQUEE BUT IT'S SO FUN! Fucking terrible ele class, having to juggle elements when I should have been doing this all along!

Really nothing they can do about I think. It's the only class that can spam abilities, nerf that skill and thiefs are pretty shit outta luck

It's bad enough that dagger/dagger is really the only really good weapon combo. Everything else is meh... dagger/dagger pretty much does everything you need.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Really nothing they can do about I think. It's the only class that can spam abilities, nerf that skill and thiefs are pretty shit outta luck

It's bad enough that dagger/dagger is really the only really good weapon combo. Everything else is meh... dagger/dagger pretty much does everything you need.
Don't even use a dagger primary on either set. Meet me somewhere

bounchfx

I'm really loving the game so far, but I really hope strategy comes into play more soon. Right now most PvE is just 'do whatever', because there are so many players everywhere. I'm assuming Dungeons require actual thought and strategy due to a player cap, right?

T.O.P

Banned
You're lucky that you can even get into an instance!

yeah it's totally unecceptable that everytime you want to do an instance you need to spent 40 minutes trying to get everyone inside e.e

still fuck it, i'll skip, totally not ready for that shit

I'm really loving the game so far, but I really hope strategy comes into play more soon. Right now most PvE is just 'do whatever', because there are so many players everywhere. I'm assuming Dungeons require actual thought and strategy due to a player cap, right?

yeah, A LOT

Well fuck me, so I originally played the BWE on a prepurchase code from Gamestop but after the GMG 25% off sale first occured I canceled my Gamestop Prepurchase and reordered/redeemed there. Not knowing that GMG prepurchase codes are actually retail codes, I played the first week on the code from Gamestop and theres no way to combine these two codes/accounts. Had to buy another retail copy to put onto the account I started. Guess one of my friends is getting a free GW 2 account. Lol I guess this is what i get for trying to save a few bucks and not give my money to Gamestop

Jack_AG

Banned
Awesome,

Do people think its better to focus on mastering 1 or 2 traits or to get adept in all 4?
5 and rolling your points thin will make you far less viable vs going 30/30/10 or 30/20/20.

Specialize in something that accents your playstyle. You can't be strong in multiple traits but you can be strong in 2/5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom