• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally finished my work for today, was about to go Charr about being all Charr and stuff, but then this:

tIbJ1.png

I ran it this morning to grab the patch, was all good, quit clean. Ran it now, and it's sitting there "repairing" for the last 30 minutes...

Cronnie

A few quick observations from me:

Thanks for those, found it quite insightful.

My main is a ranger and I am enjoying it a fair bit, but have started thinking about what my next alt character should be.

I was thinking Engineer initially, but I keep hearing a lot of good things about the Mesmer, and it does sound like fun.

Anyone played for a fair while with the Ranger/Mesmer/Engineer, and can sum up their thoughts on them as I'd be interested to know what others think?

Ahh, you're really making me want to switch from my engineer to mesmer. I really like magical thief style characters in games. I hate having two classes I really wanna play and not being a fan of alts.

As for people interested in Engineer, here's some observations I've made in my short time with them. Weapon skills are definitely limited as people said, especially early on. Not only are you limited to either rifle, dual pistols or pistol+shield you also don't get the weapon switch ability that every other class except Elementalist gets. Kits replace weapons, and there's two different kinds, Weapons and Device kits. I've only unlocked the Flamethrower weapon kit, but there's also an Elixir Gun and a wrench, so think of those as your other weapons you can switch to. Elixir Gun does conditions and healing, wrench is melee I think. Device kits give you things like bombs or grenades or heals that don't really work like weapons.

With the abilities I have now, the class feels very mid-range. A lot of my abilities work best when I'm closer to a mob, such as bombs, short range rifle blasts or the flamethrower. But there's also abilities that sent me or the mob flying backwards and away. It's an interesting class, where you wanna kite and set up traps and turrets but you don't want to be too far away, or at least you wanna rush in to use the more close range abilities then dodge out. For example, the rifle has a move where you launch yourself into the air and crash down at a targeted location. I've taken to launching myself at a guy, dropping bombs and using shortrange blast attack then either dodging backwards or using the rifles attack that knocks the mob over and sends you flying backwards, then using the more long range abilities.

I'm liking the class at level 17 or so, but it definitely feels like one that opens up the more you play and unlock kits. Any other class can go buy whatever weapons they wanna use early on to experiment with, Engineers have to get enough skill points to unlock them and the weapon kits are pretty high on the skill tree. I definitely have a lot to learn but I hope what I wrote was more or less accurate first impressions.

HBroward

Thanks for posting those guys. I feel a lot better about joining the Vigil now, that heavy armor set looks nice. Too bad I didn't power level to buy it before the price spike.

jbortz78

So starting to feel a bit lonely out there still being guildless and all so just a quickie:

I signed up on Gafguild.com when you were able to but is there a quicker way to get invited on Gandara?
Or do I just have to suck it up and wait some more:)

Achtius

Thanks for posting those armors :D

But hmm..I wanted to join Priory with my mesmer...but...Vigil armor set looks so much better =/

Ferny

So starting to feel a bit lonely out there still being guildless and all so just a quickie:

I signed up on Gafguild.com when you were able to but is there a quicker way to get invited on Gandara?
Or do I just have to suck it up and wait some more:)

Whats your gw tag?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death

- From a total skeptic, the 360 controller configuration is really, REALLY good. I was doing some test riding on it late last night with Hawkian's help and it is super well done. I don't have the full muscle memory down yet, but it's fairly intuitive and a completely viable alternative to the kb/m concept. From a purely combat-focused dynamic, it's actually even easier to access all your skills and abilities than the traditional kb/m setup. From a movement standpoint, there are fairly even with kb/m coming out slightly ahead. Menu management and navigation is a wash, although it takes a bit of adjustment to get used to pointing and clicking on the controller.

- I suffer from altitis with the best of them. At this point, I've taken every character I am interested in to at least the 8-10 range. Thief, guardian, necro, engineer, and mesmer. Here is my mini-take on each class for those also on the fences.

1) Thief: a blast to play, spammable initiative skills give the class a speed-demon feeling. Lots of mobility, lots of get-out-of-jail-free cards when you're overwhelmed, decent damage. The pistols and bow add a whole separate dimension to the traditional "rogue" setup and make this class a lot of fun to play. Extremely squishy when your escape cooldowns and dodge aren't available. Heartseeker will either get an increased initiative cost (most likely) or a cooldown (least likely). It's broken as it because you can spam it 3-4 times, it creates a moment of invulnerability for you, and it totally jacks stuff up.

2) Guardian: equip a greatsword and you will understand why this class is so popular in game. Excellent defensive skills, complete with some of the old paragon standards from GW1. Can go toe-to-toe with multiple monsters at once and come out on top. A bit lacking on the ranged front compared to other classes, but that's not exactly what this class is designed for. No idea how well they'll hold up offensively compared to the others, but I wouldn't approach the guardian class if your sole goal is to make things explode quickly. For people who want to be unique snowflakes, this is probably not your class unless you want to be male human guardian #247,093.

3) Necro: One thing you need to be aware of from the start is that pets really aren't holding up too well. Their AI is stupid, they don't regen health between fights, and they don't last very long. I suppose if you trait appropriately you could pull off a minion master build, but if your sole reason to play a necromancer is to lead an army of death you should probably fire Diablo 2 back up. That said, this class is beastly in terms of AOE (when you equip a staff) and applying conditions. I could see them absolutely wrecking havoc in a PVP zergfest provided you aren't being focused. I have no problem getting golds on every dynamic event since I basically tag everything with the marks on the ground. Also, for a light armor class the necro is remarkably durable. Death shroud is an additional health bar and a very unique skill.

4) Engineer: A purely ranged class from what I've seen. Very limited weapons options (hope you like pistols and rifles). The kits are what adds the diversity to the class, but I found them cumbersome. The grenades in particular, as I mentioned in my last post, are a pain to work while you're kiting away. Turrets suck at low levels but supposedly rule later on. People say this class really opens up and gets fun at the 20 range, and that's probably true. It may very well be my alt in the future since I love the steampunk feel, but right now I'm putting the profession on the back burner.

5) Mesmer: My new main. A great ranged class with solid enough melee options for people like me who like to dance in and out of combat (or more likely when you aren't given much of a choice by your opponent). The clones aren't a cumbersome mechanic at all like I originally expected, but instead a sheer joy to play. I may be the only person in the world who appreciates that they don't stick around after your target dies. This class feels like a magically-inclined thief, complete with the stealth, dazing, and controlling options. My character may end up hitting like a wet noodle at 80 for all I know (though I've read they hold their own), but at the end of the day this game is about having fun and the mesmer clicks for me. Unlike the guardian, THIS is the class to play to satisfy any absurd unique snowflake desires you may have.

Mesmer: "My name is Legion: for we are many."

How are you selecting area's for your area of effect spells?

Yuripaw

Banned
I already posted this earlier in the thread, but I'm getting desperate.

Does no one have a spare Guild Wars 2 serial code for sale for slightly cheaper than retail? The thing that sucks is that I actually bought the game, but my serial code kept coming up as used, even though I never entered it. I tried contacting GW2 support, and they told me to take it back to the retailer I bought it from, but they refuse to exchange it for me because the serial code might've been used by me, and that I'm trying to get another one.

This is so damn frustrating, and and I can't do anything about it I feel like.

njean777

This may be a really dumb question, but is there any dungeons or instances like in WOW? I am at the Brisban Wildlands and I haven't seen any instances that you can do with 5 people like in WOW. Is there a instance finder or something where it can group you up automatically like in WOW? I know I probably sound like a complete scrub, but WOW is the only other MMO I have played.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Does no one have a spare Guild Wars 2 serial code for sale for slightly cheaper than retail? The thing that sucks is that I actually bought the game, but my serial code kept coming up as used, even though I never entered it. I tried contacting GW2 support, and they told me to take it back to the retailer I bought it from, but they refuse to exchange it for me because the serial code might've been used by me, and that I'm trying to get another one.

Honestly, you should probably contact where you bought it from since that might be faster.

Yuripaw

Banned
Honestly, you should probably contact where you bought it from since that might be faster.

They wouldn't return it for me because it might have been used by me.

Achtius

This may be a really dumb question, but is there any dungeons or instances like in WOW? I am at the Brisban Wildlands and I haven't seen any instances that you can do with 5 people like in WOW. Is there a instance finder or something where it can group you up automatically like in WOW? I know I probably sound like a complete scrub, but WOW is the only other MMO I have played.

there is one every 10 level starting from lvl 30

kayos90

They wouldn't return it for me because it might have been used by me.

Don't ask for a refund then. Tell them to give you another code. Assert that the code was used and you have proof that other people are also getting used codes all over the country from various buyers.

Yuripaw

Banned
Don't ask for a refund then. Tell them to give you another code. Assert that the code was used and you have proof that other people are also getting used codes all over the country from various buyers.

I didn't ask for a refund, I asked to exchange it for another copy, and they refused because I could just be trying to get another code.

kayos90

Achtius

and tell them you got the physical box/code to prove it

Vyroxis

Banned
I was hesitant on this game after being burned by so many other MMOs that promised the world then left me crying in the corner like a heartbroken teenage girl that just got trained by the football team. So I waited to try it out on my buddies account, to see if I would actually enjoy it. And now that I have decided to give it a whirl...

It's sold out everywhere. I can't find physical copies anywhere near me, and digital downloads are vanishing faster than I can get to them. This is kind of frustrating. A bunch of my friends are playing, and here I sit waiting. Looks like a nice long solo grind ahead of me to play catch up.

njean777

I was hesitant on this game after being burned by so many other MMOs that promised the world then left me crying in the corner like a heartbroken teenage girl that just got trained by the football team. So I waited to try it out on my buddies account, to see if I would actually enjoy it. And now that I have decided to give it a whirl...

It's sold out everywhere. I can't find physical copies anywhere near me, and digital downloads are vanishing faster than I can get to them. This is kind of frustrating. A bunch of my friends are playing, and here I sit waiting. Looks like a nice long solo grind ahead of me to play catch up.

nope, the leveling in the game is made in a way that if they do come help you they will still get experience for it.

KingKong

oh man, Dynamic Events get a lot cooler later on

I just had an event where an NPC told us to light a bonfire and then a giant griffin swept down and we had to fight him and light bonfires 3-4 times since it kept flying away. I got an awesome rare sword as a drop too

Risen Priest of Balthazar is absolutely silly. Absolutely. I'd really like to know who at ArenaNet thought it'd be great to have an encounter where a mob fears large groups of players into instant death. Not downed, straight to dead, return to waypoint, pay 2 silver. Also nearest waypoint is a 2 minute walk away. Also near-instant random blink on players then hitting them for 15000 damage. 3 zeroes. I am all for difficulty, but this was just some random numbers and abilities thrown into the game.

notworksafe

When does the look of your gear change? I'm at L20 my gear looks exactly the same as when I started, even though the stats have changed.

At least it's well designed gear and not just blurry textures on the same model like WoW, but I'd still like to see some variety.

vaelic

Banned
When does the look of your gear change? I'm at L20 my gear looks exactly the same as when I started, even though the stats have changed.

At least it's well designed gear and not just blurry textures on the same model like WoW, but I'd still like to see some variety.

not much variety from what I hear

CoLaN

Well, i reached level 77 and i'm still really enjoying the game. The way you move from one dynamic event to the other really gives a feeling of smooth progression that isn't tied to quest hubs, but involve entire areas around you.

As someone wrote in this thread, dynamic events could use some more variety... they do feel a bit unoriginal after a while.

All in all the game is very fun to play and the level of immersion is great. I completely forget about the exp bar, which is a sign of a well balanced experience.

inky

Risen Priest of Balthazar is absolutely silly. Absolutely. I'd really like to know who at ArenaNet thought it'd be great to have an encounter where a mob fears large groups of players into instant death. Not downed, straight to dead, return to waypoint, pay 2 silver. Also nearest waypoint is a 2 minute walk away. Also near-instant random blink on players then hitting them for 15000 damage. 3 zeroes. I am all for difficulty, but this was just some random numbers and abilities thrown into the game.

I did Balthazar yesterday with a group of 40-50, well tried to, we got wiped twice and didn't get to finish it. The fear lock is really stupid, but the summons are equally annoying. Dwayna and Melandru are kind of easy in comparison. A lot less people required too and less idiotic AoEs.

Bought my Melandru helm. I like the set due to the toughness boost, but all the stats are rather disappointing, especially for 42k karma a piece. I don't know if I will get the rest, bought the helmet mainly for the looks, maybe I'll try for a dungeon set or something instead.

Xln58.png

How are you selecting area's for your area of effect spells?

On the controller? I haven't played much mesmer or necro on the controller yet. I was using it to mess around with my thief.

Let me take a look and see how it works. My mesmer is staff-based mainly, so you have to have a precise way of laying out those AOE wells. A necro would be even more reliant on that.

"I did Balthazar yesterday with a group of 40-50, well tried to, we got wiped twice and didn't get to finish it. The fear lock is really stupid, but the summons are equally annoying. Dwayna and Melandru are kind of easy in comparison. A lot less people required too and less idiotic AoEs.

Bought my Melandru helm. I like the set due to the toughness boost, but all the stats are rather disappointing, especially for 42k karma a piece. I don't know if I will get the rest, bought the helmet mainly for the looks, maybe I'll try for a dungeon set or something instead."

Haven't tried Lyssa yet. Grenth is actually a little neat, a good amount of challenge, with a somewhat interesting boss/add mechanic.

Dwayna is a pretty straight forward tank and spank, yeah.

Also, some of these temples have non-stop creature pops while the Statues are still disabled, so you can't even randomly TP to one and buy your gear there because all the NPCs are dead and there's 3-4 veterans just chilling.

Lingitiz

Make sure to check all Karma vendors after you finish heart quests. There really isn't a whole lot of variety in the early levels though.

KingKong

So the rest of the map is room of expansions right?

There is a "Desert Gate" POI in Fields of Ruin but there's no zone behind it

Ken

Wait...the heart guys are gear vendors?

http://i.imgur.com/kmXCF.gif[/IM][/QUOTE]

They are but you have to use karma to purchase, and it sounds like it is best to save karma for end game.

Also the mail you get from completing hearts has money. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom