• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saucy_XL

Banned
Is there anywhere with digital download of the standard edition still in stock as of right now?
Having trouble finding non digital deluxe editions.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Back in business! Queueing up now.

This may be a really dumb question, but is there any dungeons or instances like in WOW? I am at the Brisban Wildlands and I haven't seen any instances that you can do with 5 people like in WOW. Is there a instance finder or something where it can group you up automatically like in WOW? I know I probably sound like a complete scrub, but WOW is the only other MMO I have played.
Yes. There are 8. The first is accessible at level 30. They are awesome, and replayable in an explorable mode with multiple paths.

edit: Wow, we're losing. WvW is so close right now!

TDLink

Where is it? I'm 38 and wanna try the 30 one

Ascalonian Catacombs is the first dungeon and it's in the Plains of Ashford zone. There is a level 30 (Story) version and a level 35 (Explorable) version. Both are different/have different bosses/have different rewards. Each dungeon has two versions like this...Explorable is obviously harder.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ascalonian Catacombs is the first dungeon and it's in the Plains of Ashford zone. There is a level 30 (Story) version and a level 35 (Explorable) version. Both are different/have different bosses/have different rewards. Each dungeon has two versions like this...Explorable is obviously harder.
And from what I understand, Explorable is repeatable with different experiences.

Stuart444

Controller info.

Okay so I finally got around to trying this controller set up and it seems pretty good though I am far more used to the KB+M as far as moving around properly and stuff but I think I may get used to this after a bit. All the important functions (skills, dodging, jumping, moving, etc) are easy to remember after all.

One small bug (and I don't know how I did this so it may not even be a bug) is that I somehow in-game made it so that camera mode is pointer mode (but with no pointer so it's still camera mode) and you use Y for map and stuff that is supposed to only happen during pointer mode while in pointer mode, my skill 2 (Y) was used instead of map which now happens during camera mode.

Again, don't know how that happened so it may not be a bug but thought I'd mention it. I just restarted the START.BAT file (after closing the open programs) to fix it.

Also my main issue with the control scheme is AoE aiming, the aiming circle is always to the top left and is unable to move it without turning on pointer mode (which makes it more difficult to move using the controller since we have no camera to use) but that's my main issue in combat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay so I finally got around to trying this controller set up and it seems pretty good though I am far more used to the KB+M as far as moving around properly and stuff but I think I may get used to this after a bit. All the important functions (skills, dodging, jumping, moving, etc) are easy to remember after all.

One small bug (and I don't know how I did this so it may not even be a bug) is that I somehow in-game made it so that camera mode is pointer mode (but with no pointer so it's still camera mode) and you use Y for map and stuff that is supposed to only happen during pointer mode while in pointer mode, my skill 2 (Y) was used instead of map which now happens during camera mode.

Again, don't know how that happened so it may not be a bug but thought I'd mention it. I just restarted the START.BAT file (after closing the open programs) to fix it.

Also my main issue with the control scheme is AoE aiming, the aiming circle is always to the top left and is unable to move it without turning on pointer mode (which makes it more difficult to move using the controller since we have no camera to use) but that's my main issue in combat.
1) If you're ever in what seems like the wrong control configuration, just hit the back button once quickly and all should go back to normal (Camera Mode, set one).

2) It sounds like the script that resets the mouse cursor is not working for you at all. Do you have UAC (User Account Control) enabled in Windows?
Thanks, damn I'm thousands of miles away frm that area. I don't even have shiverpeak mountains uncovered.
Um. I have some good news for you.

I'm honestly kind of disappointed in dungeons so far. It seems like group cohesion isn't important at all, as though you just need people there to not die and deal damage. I mean, it's a visual treat to have a bunch of people, and seeing all of their spell effects, but the dungeons themselves just feel poorly thought out.

In CM, I spent most of my time inside the mansion battling the camera that kept getting pushed in or caught up by the ceilings, and none of the fights were in the slightest bit interesting. It was just a matter of standing behind the boss and mashing my 1 key, occasionally pressing 2, hoping I didn't pull the boss off of whoever else it was looking at and die. The first boss was the only one I felt slightly engaged in, because I had to dodge-roll out of his spin attack, and we had to dodge rockets. Even then, half of my group either didn't care or didn't know how to revive, and so the boss turned into a zerg of dying, running back in, repeat.

Which reminds me of another problem - it's hard to see which way a boss is facing or see when he's charging up an attack because of how over the top all of the spell effects are, and how crowded it may be from melee characters.

TDLink

Thanks, damn I'm thousands of miles away frm that area. I don't even have shiverpeak mountains uncovered.

You can get their really quickly by taking the portal to Black Citadel from Lion's Arch. The zone directly to the east of Black Citadel is Plains of Ashford (it's the Charr starting area). If you don't know how to get to Lion's Arch, go to your race's city and find the purple Asura Portal.

Yep - aside from the bug you mentioned, AOE aiming is a big PITA.

edit: maybe Hawkian's suggestion above will fix it.

Stuart444

1) If you're ever in what seems like the wrong control configuration, just hit the back button once quickly and all should go back to normal (Camera Mode, set one).

2) It sounds like the script that resets the mouse cursor is not working for you at all. Do you have UAC (User Account Control) enabled in Windows?

Um. I have some good news for you.

1. Ah, alright

2. probably since while I know what it is, it has never bothered me enough to turn it off. (how do you turn it off?)

Kalnos

Banned
is there a way to unbind 'ctrl + left click' so that it doesn't call targets? cause it's definitely not under the 'call target' area in binds and is driving me insane.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
is there a way to unbind 'ctrl + left click' so that it doesn't call targets? cause it's definitely not under the 'call target' area in binds and is driving me insane.
Don't think so, but apparently it doesn't happen unless you're in a party (which I think is kind of unfortunate actually).

Instro

Can someone get me an invite into the guild, or rather the overflow one?

Instro.7583
Character is Alra Una.

edit

Looks like I got it, or maybe I already had it? Shame the thing doesn't send you a mail to tell you about the invite...just noticed it now.

You can get their really quickly by taking the portal to Black Citadel from Lion's Arch. The zone directly to the east of Black Citadel is Plains of Ashford (it's the Charr starting area). If you don't know how to get to Lion's Arch, go to your race's city and find the purple Asura Portal.
Niiiiiiiiice :D :D :D :D :D

Ken

It would be so amazing if this game had at least two trait pages I could switch to but then I suppose no one would ever respec.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Guys....just use the kb/m and save yourself the headache.
I'm sorry, but there's no need for this. For many people the setup was quite effortless, and there's no reason people should not try to troubleshoot their issues if they want to try it.

Everybody interested in the WvW tour, queue up for Dragonbrand Borderlands! Seems to be the easiest to get into at the moment.

Stuart444

Guys....just use the kb/m and save yourself the headache.

I'm doing this mainly for my girlfriend who uses my laptop which has a pretty bad keyboard which has messed up plenty of jumping stuff before. Hoping the gamepad will fix it which it just might

I'm sorry, but there's no need for this. For many people the setup was quite effortless, and there's no reason people should not try to troubleshoot their issues if they want to try it.

and thanks to your post about UAC, a restart and it works, it resets like it should.

My main issue now is that when you're looking straight ahead to enemies who are running towards you, the AoE circle may be too far ahead so will require looking at the ground a lot when enemies are near you.

But I'm sure we can get used to that, just takes practice. Thanks again Hawkian :)

Kingbrave

Dear lovers in AC fuck you!

Was fun running with a couple of gaffers, hopefully soon we can go in there and remove those fuckers from the face of the world.

I take the blame for all our wipes...I'm sorry.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm doing this mainly for my girlfriend who uses my laptop which has a pretty bad keyboard which has messed up plenty of jumping stuff before. Hoping the gamepad will fix it which it just might

and thanks to your post about UAC, a restart and it works, it resets like it should.
Ahh, excellent.

My main issue now is that when you're looking straight ahead to enemies who are running towards you, the AoE circle may be too far ahead so will require looking at the ground a lot when enemies are near you.

But I'm sure we can get used to that, just takes practice. Thanks again Hawkian :)
Yep yep, that's functioning as intended- to fire AoE close to you, you sort of "look at" the spot on the ground. It definitely becomes second-nature over time. If you play in windowed mode, you'll even get a crosshair to help!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Really wish the game had Witcher-style mouse look. I'd much rather right click to have the cursor appear when not in a menu.

Artanisix

Was fun running with a couple of gaffers, hopefully soon we can go in there and remove those fuckers from the face of the world.

Easy with warrior. Equip two hand maces and the kick utility spell. Get in the middle of them, use the spell that knocks them back, then kick one of them farther back. Then devote one person to locking down a lover with boulders.

Stuart444

Yep yep, that's functioning as intended- to fire AoE close to you, you sort of "look at" the spot on the ground. It definitely becomes second-nature over time. If you play in windowed mode, you'll even get a crosshair to help!

I gathered it was intended but I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's certainly a way to play until Anet (if they) put controller support in the game.

Going to wait for the shatterer to pop up (should be any time now I think) to test it out properly :D

zulfate

Easy with warrior. Equip two hand maces and the kick utility spell. Get in the middle of them, use the spell that knocks them back, then kick one of them farther back. Then devote one person to locking down a lover with boulders.

Or boulders on the ground. I played with a pug and we died alot there, i made myself the designated boulder man because everyone else just dps :/

even when people helped they just kept keeping them togethere in a corner

Item Box

Or boulders on the ground. I played with a pug and we died alot there, i made myself the designated boulder man because everyone else just dps :/

even when people helped they just kept keeping them togethere in a corner

The group I played with managed to lure one of them into the passageway leading to where they spawn, and closed the door so neither of them could get in or out. It's much faster this way so everyone can deal damage instead of having one person being the 'boulder guy'.

I didn't even know that the Lovers were difficult, at all. I've ran through the story mode at least 3 times and had no problems.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The group I played with managed to lure one of them into the passageway leading to where they spawn, and closed the door so neither of them could get in or out. It's much faster this way so everyone can deal damage instead of having one person being the 'boulder guy'.
That's what we did. Situational positioning ftw.

Noaloha

ibsRTKCPXLyQwe.png

I liked this shot. Lots of cool shit going on around me. And I'm just stood there with my thumb up my arse. It's the Norn Way.

zulfate

wow i didn't think you could do that because they usually stand there and take it in the butt

Lyonaz

Dungeon exploring was bugged as hell, so no progress there for my Pirate coat.

Here we're waiting for the other party member who got dc'ed and couldn't rejoin our instance.
jsyyGjSNeoz5o.jpg

Shadow Behemoth fight today.
jbakiZf1RlsuM.jpg

Victory afterwards.
j8wwiIKcAQTA9.jpg

SalomonA

Two questions:

1. Are you able to put away your weapon when not in combat? If so, how?

2. Is there any way to check a single characters play-time?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Two questions:

1. Are you able to put away your weapon when not in combat? If so, how?

2. Is there any way to check a single characters play-time?

1.You have to bind the key via controls

2. /Age

CM is pretty bad as a dungeon, AC was far more interesting. Haven't done any of the later ones yet though.

I tried AC, and had the same general issue: I spend most of my time running away from the battle waiting on my healing cooldowns than I do actually fighting.

Edit: I dunno. Maybe it's just the group composition I wound up with, but I find dungeons to be plainly not fun. Maybe it's the thieve's toolkit that doesn't really work all too well for dungeons. A lot of my leveling experiences fighting mobs and even big boss events focused more around me dodge-rolling, stealthing, and running around enemies to avoid damage, and hopefully kill it before I run out of options. In dungeons, I end up having to use my cooldowns, and the enemy is still at some high health percentage, so I'm relegated to standing around far away from the fight, waiting on my cooldowns again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom