• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or boulders on the ground. I played with a pug and we died alot there, i made myself the designated boulder man because everyone else just dps :/

even when people helped they just kept keeping them togethere in a corner
When I went with a guild group on saturday, the lovers kept getting close together but we managed to do ok. Not even any deaths. Funny enough we ended up killing both pretty close to one another. I dunno what we did, but it worked.

Anno

Lovers definitely seemed like the hardest part of that dungeon, aside from maybe the end boss himself. We ended up getting through there okay in the end; I brought out my dog for a knockdown and locked one of them down with boulders and a Guardian while the other three took out the woman. Decent fight.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man the stability of the game today is horrible got dropped twice so far so just said fuck it and will log back in later on.

Do hope they got a big patch incoming since things are going pear shaped.

At least they fixed the story quest problem lots of people were having!

Ken

Man the stability of the game today is horrible got dropped twice so far so just said fuck it and will log back in later on.

Do hope they got a big patch incoming since things are going pear shaped.

At least they fixed the story quest problem lots of people were having!

It's weird because I have a friend in the States who constantly DCs out of the game too, but I've yet to frequently DC despite being outside of America.

Jrmint

General question here:

With the auction house down I feel like my leveling gear might be kind of limited.

I'm level 23 and using a Short Bow from like level 13. Short of finding them dropped off of random mobs is there a way I can upgrade weapons with Karma or anything?

I'm able to kill quest mobs fast enough but it feels like I should be doing more damage.

so i 100% human starter area and am just lvl 15.

now what?

Also... where do I get cool looking armor and shit? The paintery art of this game looks neat, but i've not seen any badass armors (fuck let me wear seraphim armor at the very least) from drops. And lvl 5 dudes all have badass energy envoked 2h swords and stuff.

I feel like im missing something somewhere. All i find are mastercraft weapons that look like your merchant weapons :/

Also... does this game have mantles/capes? I noticed there is a slot for that. Hows the physics?

I'm level 23 and using a Short Bow from like level 13. Short of finding them dropped off of random mobs is there a way I can upgrade weapons with Karma or anything?

I'm able to kill quest mobs fast enough but it feels like I should be doing more damage.
Finish some heart quests in the 20+ range and talk to resulting karma vendors. They have fine and masterwork level weapons/armor/jewelry/upgrades.

so i 100% human starter area and am just lvl 15.

now what?
Go to Kessex hills, that's the 15-25 area. Do some personal story quests if you're leveled enough for it.

Also... where do I get cool looking armor and shit? The paintery art of this game looks neat, but i've not seen any badass armors (fuck let me wear seraphim armor at the very least) from drops. And lvl 5 dudes all have badass energy envoked 2h swords and stuff.
Quests and karma vendors tend to have cool looking weapons and armor. Unfortunately, you don't have a lot of access to really neat stuff until around level 30, where you do your first dungeon. Level 80 opens up whole new worlds of cool-looking gear too.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Where is it? I'm 38 and wanna try the 30 one

You should already have the location on your map. Are you checking your mail? The game literally points you right to it.

Really wish the game had Witcher-style mouse look. I'd much rather right click to have the cursor appear when not in a menu.

I actually completely agree with this.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
I don't know if my account got hacked or there was just an egregious server error, but last night I logged in to my character (The Frigid King in GAFclan) to find that:

-All my money was gone from my wallet and bank save for a dozen bronze coins.
-All of the crafting materials I had deposited were gone.
-My server was changed from Stormbluff Isle in America to Dzagonbur (DE) in Europe.
-Everything in my inventory was gone save for the items I had equipped, some crafting item collection tools, and some special items (Black Lion chests, a few dyes, and some of those Valor coins)

Luckily I was able to make it back to Stormbluff Isle today to be on the same server as the rest of my GAF guildmates, but all of my items and such did not reappear as I was hoping they might. I made back about ten silver today so at least I can afford the basics but it was pretty scary to not have enough money to warp anywhere or repair armor.

I changed my password and reauthenticated my account to prevent the possibility of another hacking but if this was a server issue, I hope it gets fixed immediately. While I haven't played as much as others, I still made it to level 20 and had sunk a fair amount of time into the game, and it really sucks to lose a large portion of what you had gained from that time. It especially sucks because I had been really enjoying my time with the game, and it almost turned me off of playing it ever again.

Instro

I don't know if my account got hacked or there was just an egregious server error, but last night I logged in to my character (The Frigid King in GAFclan) to find that:

-All my money was gone from my wallet and bank save for a dozen bronze coins.
-All of the crafting materials I had deposited were gone.
-My server was changed from Stormbluff Isle in America to Dzagonbur (DE) in Europe.
-Everything in my inventory was gone save for the items I had equipped, some crafting item collection tools, and some special items (Black Lion chests, a few dyes, and some of those Valor coins)

Luckily I was able to make it back to Stormbluff Isle today to be on the same server as the rest of my GAF guildmates, but all of my items and such did not reappear as I was hoping they might. I made back about ten silver today so at least I can afford the basics but it was pretty scary to not have enough money to warp anywhere or repair armor.

I changed my password and reauthenticated my account to prevent the possibility of another hacking but if this was a server issue, I hope it gets fixed immediately. While I haven't played as much as others, I still made it to level 20 and had sunk a fair amount of time into the game, and it really sucks to lose a large portion of what you had gained from that time. It especially sucks because I had been really enjoying my time with the game, and it almost turned me off of playing it ever again.

Does the security thing on the gw2 website show any unknown ips connecting to your account? Definitely sounds like you got hacked though.

Ken

guys how do i trade items with friends? is mail the only option? seems a little too convoluted

Pretty sure it has to be done my mail. It's not that bad since you don't have to run to a mailbox to get it though.

I actually like this way of trading since you don't have to go through the whole "one player has no space now exit this window and try again."

vaelic

Banned
new game status update

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_status_updates

Game status updates

Archive

/Archive 1
This is the current status of the most important issues we're tracking with Guild Wars 2 live service. (This page is updated by ArenaNet staff and protected against non-admin editing.)

Monday, September 3, 2012
Account Security
Hackers have lists of email addresses and passwords stolen from other games and web sites, and collected through spyware, and are systematically testing Guild Wars 2 looking for matching accounts.
To protect yourself, use a strong, unique password for Guild Wars 2 that you've never used anywhere else!
Today a Guild Wars related fan site announced that its account database has been breached. That's important but just one of many apparent breaches of other games and web sites that hackers have been collecting email addresses and passwords from. Protect yourself by using a unique password for each game and web site account you care about, and especially be sure to use a unique password for your Guild Wars 2 account.
Customer Support
Our customer support team is prioritizing hacked accounts and other blocking login issues over other types of support requests. If you submit a support ticket for a hacked account, ensure it is properly prioritized by following these instructions.
We have now completed prioritized requests submitted prior to Saturday, September 1. If you have an older ticket that has not been completed, that means it's not correctly prioritized. Submit a new ticket using the above instructions, and in the title write, "Hacked Account - Ticket submitted August xx - Ticket number xxxxxx-xxxxxx" (fill in the date and ticket number of your existing ticket), and we will prioritize your existing ticket.
In the past 24 hours we helped 2,574 players with hacked accounts and 2,867 players with other blocking login issues get back into the game.
Email Authentication
Once you validate your account email address, we help protect you from attempted account hacking (even if the hacker guesses your password) by sending you an email every time you attempt to login from a new location, asking you to approve or deny the login attempt. Keep in mind, if you receive an email asking you to approve or deny a login attempt and you didn't make that login attempt, that means a hacker knows your password. Change your password immediately.
Be sure not to flag an email authentication message as spam; if you do, your email provider may prevent future email authentication messages from reaching you.
If email authentication is preventing you from logging in, contact our customer support team following these instructions and we'll disable it for your account.
Reset Password
We will leave "reset password" disabled until further notice. We don't want to allow hackers who compromise an email account to use that email account to steal the associated Guild Wars 2 game account. If you forget your password, please contact customer support.
Network Connectivity Issues
We experienced network connectivity issues today between our North American and European data centers, which caused intermittent errors with login, character creation and deletion, and guild manipulation. These issues should now be resolved.
Parties & Guilds
We've made progress but still have capacity constraints causing issues with party and guild functionality, including symptoms such as party members not appearing on the map, parties not staying together as they travel between maps or into dungeons, and guild manipulation not working. We're working on a fix and will provide a further update tomorrow.
PvP Tournament Rewards
PvP tournament rewards are currently not functioning properly. We're working on a fix and will provide a further update tomorrow.
Trading Post
We've been expanding the Trading Post's capacity to handle the huge volume of requested trades. After our test yesterday, we've been working to resolve some issues reported by players. We expect to have the Trading Post online for all players this evening.
Storyline Steps
In last night's update we fixed blocking issues with the storyline steps "Stealing Secrets" and "A Grisly Shipment". We're preparing to fix issues with "The Battle for Fort Trinity" and "Shell Shock" for tonight's update.
Worlds & Overflow
We're increasing world capacity as necessary to handle all the new players coming into the game.
During this initial surge of high concurrency, and especially while most characters are low-level and thus playing in the same starting areas, it's common for players to be directed to overflow servers. To play with a friend on a different overflow server, form a party together, then right-click on the friend's portrait in the party list and click "join". We expect the use of overflow servers to naturally subside as players spread out more through the world.
Forums
Our most important priority at the moment is to ensure that the game runs stably and flawlessly. So as to not create additional demand on our infrastructure and on our programming team, we made the decision not to open the forums until the initial mass influx of players has calmed down a bit.
Reporting exploits
If you discover an emergency game-breaking or economy-breaking bug, do not exploit it, but please notify us immediately at this email address: exploits (at) arena (dot) net. You may also use this email address to report suspected security vulnerabilities. Thank you to everyone who has sent reports. However, note that we cannot respond individually to emails to this address.
Next software updates
We're making non-disruptive changes throughout the day. We'll publish the next back-end server update tonight at midnight Seattle time. The game may be unavailable for approximately 20-60 minutes while we perform this update.

Trading Post
We've been expanding the Trading Post's capacity to handle the huge volume of requested trades. After our test yesterday, we've been working to resolve some issues reported by players. We expect to have the Trading Post online for all players this evening.
We expect to have the Trading Post online for all players this evening.
THANK YOU BASED ANET

Been taking a break from my main Sylvari Elementalist (Dawn Lily), and started a Norn Warrior (Bloody Nine) that I've leveled to 53 now. Some recent shots of my Norn's adventures...

Go home, George.

gw049.jpg

gw054.jpg

gw053.jpg

gw057.jpg

nickcv

Pretty sure it has to be done my mail. It's not that bad since you don't have to run to a mailbox to get it though.

I actually like this way of trading since you don't have to go through the whole "one player has no space now exit this window and try again."

yeah, i guess you are right :p

anyhow where do i buy gathering items?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
For those that don't know what exploiting means pay close attention to:

Reporting exploits

If you discover an emergency game-breaking or economy-breaking bug, do not exploit it, but please notify us immediately at this email address: exploits (at) arena (dot) net.

Translation, don't go dumb on us and pretend you didn't know any better.

So, I have not been able to get into the game since the 3 day head start, I pre-purchased the game through the Guild Wars 2 Website, I have documentaion to prove this, and yet they say that I have never bought the game and that I need to buy it. How the hell was I able to play in the beta? I am so pissed off by this I don't even want to play the game anymore. Fuck you Arena Net, fuck you ncsoft. Fuck. You.

and now I'm locked out of my own account, can't even put in my umpteenth support ticket.

nickcv

For those that don't know what exploiting means pay close attention to:

Reporting exploits

If you discover an emergency game-breaking or economy-breaking bug, do not exploit it, but please notify us immediately at this email address: exploits (at) arena (dot) net.

Translation, don't go dumb on us and pretend you didn't know any better.

while i have no trouble imaging a game-breaking bug (ie: huge damage using whatever exploit) i don't really get what could constitute an economy-breaking bug.

are they saying that we could find an endless source of coins ingame? <.<

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Currently working my way through, doing exploration to get that 100% bonus on each section. Ran across a few lv. 75-80 maps though, hightailed my way out of those places lol (I just reached 30).

Yeah, it seems that's an available payment option.

Hmm actually the comments section seem to imply bestbuy codes are iffy

We (Amazon) should have digital copies left

Cheers,
Tony

Only for the deluxe digital :(

The Black Lion Trading still being down so long after release is really starting to piss me off big time, especially when it comes to crafting. Spending way too much time farming mats and trophies just to skill up is becoming counter productive. Crafting without the BLT up is excruciating.
This. The only time I'm grinding in this game is farming for mats. Slaying dozens of barracudas and drakes just to get 8 small scales was indeed painful without trading.

Is that one skill challenge on the Plains of Ashford still messed up? It's the one near the Devast District.

EDIT: Apparently not, I just completed it for 100%.

Meteorain

So I SPvP'd with my newly made Guardian today.

Just holy shit, they are killing machines. For a tanky class I can pretty much demolish any class that isn't mesmer in a straight up 1v1.

eek5

This. The only time I'm grinding in this game is farming for mats. Slaying dozens of barracudas and drakes just to get 8 small scales was indeed painful without trading.

Trading Post
We've been expanding the Trading Post's capacity to handle the huge volume of requested trades. After our test yesterday, we've been working to resolve some issues reported by players. We expect to have the Trading Post online for all players this evening

Good news guys! :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
yeah, not really feeling mesmer, even after trying Greatsword as lump and few other suggested still don't really like it.

Do greatsword/staff and rotate through your summons and explosion/confusion/stun, it burns through stuff fast.

Start with like 5 in illusions, then 10 in domination before going back to 10 in illusions

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone playing with a controller? I'm thinking about using this guide: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41543228&postcount=9510

But I'm an elementalist, so I don't know how well AOE spells would work.
At least give it a shot. The first config I made, I used to tell people "if you're an AoE heavy build you might not be able to get used to it" but we've come SUCH a long way that you're doing yourself a real disservice not to at least try it out.
yeah, not really feeling mesmer, even after trying Greatsword as lump and few other suggested still don't really like it.
Must not be for you, because I just got a Greatsword with mine and I fucking LOVE it. Every skill causes joy to flood my veins.
So I SPvP'd with my newly made Guardian today.

Just holy shit, they are killing machines. For a tanky class I can pretty much demolish any class that isn't mesmer in a straight up 1v1.
Weird, my (non-heartseeker spamming) thief wrecks guardians 1v1.

Achtius

Do greatsword/staff and rotate through your summons and explosion/confusion/stun, it burns through stuff fast.

I'll try one last time tomorrow, not going to delete him though. Although I like the name Kaitos
named after the game baten kaitos
, so maybe I should delete him and make am elementalist or guardian

Alex

I didn't care for Mesmer either, aesthetically and on paper it sounded great, and the way some players made it out to be was really appealing but it's just not that fun, for my tastes.

Engineer is really the only thing that's clicked with me, thus far, and even then I got my laundry list of complaints, but fuck I'd just be happy if the turrets were better.

Meteorain

Weird, my (non-heartseeker spamming) thief wrecks guardians 1v1.

Thieves don't seem to do much to me, I find that I can just survive for ages and ages. I do spend a lot of time having to double finish them though :(

A lot of Guardians seem to be playing with the Greatsword build though. I play Sword-Shield / Sceptre-Focus. So thieves can't really stealth much due to the burn reveal and it's a 50-50 on running away depending on if my 2 gap closers and 1 CC is down.

Personally I think the GS Guardian isn't really all the great for PvP.

KingKong

I'm honestly really surprised that there's no icon on the map to indicate 100%ing the zones and that there's no way to see your zone progress without being in the zone

Also they REALLY need an option to turn down spell effects, any group event is just ridiculous

Achtius

I didn't care for Mesmer either, aesthetically and on paper it sounded great, and the way some players made it out to be was really appealing but it's just not that fun, for my tastes.

Engineer is really the only thing that's clicked with me, thus far, and even then I got my laundry list of complaints, but fuck I'd just be happy if the turrets were better.

try ranger :D they're fun too

I think one of the reason I don't like mesmer is their autoattack is kinda..slow and weak.

Piecake

Yea, I'm not a real fan of their weapon skills either. And while the class sounds cool in theory, it just didnt do anything for me

Achtius

What's a class heavy on autoattack.I think Mesmer requires actual skills to use, I want class that is trigger happy (like ranger)

What's a class heavy on autoattack with strategic use of skills. Mesmer requires actual skills to use, I want class that is trigger happy (like ranger)

Thief? I go mash-happy a lot and with sword/dagger things die fairly quickly. Youre more squishy than a Warrior, but I can't safely recommend that since my only warrior experience is from GW1.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks to everyone who participated in the newbie tour! While it was still a little tricky getting everyone together and the server reset made things quite chaotic, I still had a good time and hopefully you guys got a sense of the world. More importantly we did some real good for our Borderlands and got 300+ influence for the guild!

I still have this vision of having 10+ people all there at the same time for a more structured event, explaining siege on the way out of the citadel, showing a supply depot, tower, and keep, and then attempting to take something as a team using what we've learned. Hopefully once everything has calmed down a little bit, it'll be simpler to

By the way, those things on the WvW screen under each team's score are how many orbs of power they have:
Each Orb of Power grants the owning world a 5% boost to maximum HP and 50 bonus points to all stats.

markot

Banned
The problem with wvwvw is that its a money sink >.< I mean, maybe at cap its not, but you dont really make any money from it, I didnt notice much anyway... And then repair costs....

Achtius

Thief? I go mash-happy a lot and with sword/dagger things die fairly quickly. Youre more squishy than a Warrior, but I can't safely recommend that since my only warrior experience is from GW1.

I probably want something not medium class, got ranger after all.

hmm.. maybe =/

Gonna read up the skills for each class and decide i guess

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The problem with wvwvw is that its a money sink >.< I mean, maybe at cap its not, but you dont really make any money from it, I didnt notice much anyway... And then repair costs....
I'm gonna have stockpiled quite a few blueprints from doing the jumping puzzle so many times.

massoluk

Banned
Trading Post
We've been expanding the Trading Post's capacity to handle the huge volume of requested trades. After our test yesterday, we've been working to resolve some issues reported by players. We expect to have the Trading Post online for all players this evening

Good news guys! :)

One can only hope. I just want a place to dump all my stupid loots and get crafting materials. Damn "down for maintenance" is infuriating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom