• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_AG

Banned
So I just finished an event boss on my ranger after a 3 event chain from start to finish. Gold in everything except the last boss - bronze. Was there from start to finisb for all events. Final boss I went nuts on with everything I had, reviving, etc. Bronze.

Yesterday ran into the same event on my warrior. Was only there for the boss's last 1/5th health - Gold.

WTF? Was range keeping me out of the encounter? Do more damage the farther out with longbow but get less credit? I was even jumping in/out to place traps every time it was up.

What is this shit?

Piecake

So I just finished an event boss on my ranger after a 3 event chain from start to finish. Gold in everything except the last boss - bronze. Was there from start to finisb for all events. Final boss I went nuts on with everything I had, reviving, etc. Bronze.

Yesterday ran into the same event on my warrior. Was only there for the boss's last 1/5th health - Gold.

WTF? Was range keeping me out of the encounter? Do more damage the farther out with longbow but get less credit? I was even jumping in/out to place traps every time it was up.

What is this shit?

Shit doesnt seem to work right occasionaly. I was walking past an event on my necro and threw down that grasping dead hands AoE and left. 5 minutes later i got gold

I'm honestly really surprised that there's no icon on the map to indicate 100%ing the zones and that there's no way to see your zone progress without being in the zone

Also they REALLY need an option to turn down spell effects, any group event is just ridiculous

Agreed, doing some huge events in Hirathi and with all the lag, the massive amount of people with the crazy spell effects, I really couldnt see the boss or my green ground targeting thing. That is a problem

Jack_AG

Banned
Shit doesnt seem to work right occasionaly. I was walking past an event on my necro and threw down that grasping dead hands AoE and left. 5 minutes later i got gold

Agreed, doing some huge events in Hirathi and with all the lag, the massive amount of people with the crazy spell effects, I really couldnt see the boss or my green ground targeting thing. That is a problem
Had that happen a few times with DEs I wasn't close enough to do anything ha!

And +1 for reducing other players spell effects. I posted a screen a few pages back with about 12 people - could barely see the boss lol.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Don't really have time in the next couple days to sit uninterrupted and play Twilight Arbor, but would anyone be down to do it Thursday? I work from 5am until 10:30, strangely enough, so the rest of the day will be my own.

mr.rager

Man, I love guardians in PvP, charge in, pop save yourselves then whirlwind. So deadly. Really digging Ranger as well. Such a relaxing class to play. I was so set on playing a warrior first but guardians and rangers are so much fun.

darksunpr

So I guess I wasnt the only one who was hacked... my login was changed, how the fuck they got access to my account beats me. I used a unique password and the install of guild wars was made on a fresh install of windows :/

I'm getting kind of mad that we have to drag our collectibles to our inventory to craft with them.

It would be fine if there was enough default bank space, but right now it seems clearly set up to force anyone wanting to craft to buy gems.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Double quoted for double true.
tMsF0.jpg

Don't you think ArenaNet should so reward my loyalty by doing this? The Hawkian must live.

I'm getting kind of mad that we have to drag our collectibles to our inventory to craft with them.
You can double click stuff out of your bank just fyi. Works the other way too.
It would be fine if there was enough default bank space, but right now it seems clearly set up to force anyone wanting to craft to buy gems.
Not sure what you mean here. Are you making stacks of 250+ materials or something? So far most of my bank space is taken up with runes/insignias (which stack) and weapons.

Yuripaw

Banned
I really can't decide what kind of character class to make to make. I'm not familar enough with the game to really understand the pros and cons of all of them. I'm more used to a game like Final Fantasy XI where I can change classes, and having to pick just one is driving me nuts.

I never solved my serial code problem by the way...just ended up buying one off bestbuy.com =/

You can double click stuff out of your bank just fyi. Works the other way too.

When I am cooking I want to discover the stuff on my own. I have to then put my entire inventory into the bank (which might not have enough space with all my OTHER crafting ingredients that can't go into the collections menu taking up space) and then drag all the ingredients I want to use into my inventory. Then anything I craft likely can't be stored in any place other than the bank. They didn't give enough bank space to make crafting actually enjoyable.

Double clicking doesn't solve that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
When I am cooking I want to discover the stuff on my own. I have to then put my entire inventory into the bank (which might not have enough space with all my OTHER crafting ingredients that can't go into the collections menu taking up space) and then drag all the ingredients I want to use into my inventory.

Well...

Alex

Need to be to craft out of bank for sure, no other way around it, it makes cooking, an otherwise awesome profession with a lot of cool discovery a total pain in spots.

You should know what I mean. The problem here isnt the dragging motion. The problem is not having enough room in the bank for all the intermediary ingredients created by cooking. Which is only made worse by having to store stuff in my bank in order to fill my inventory with cooking materials for when I want to craft.

zlatko

Banned
I really can't decide what kind of character class to make to make. I'm not familar enough with the game to really understand the pros and cons of all of them. I'm more used to a game like Final Fantasy XI where I can change classes, and having to pick just one is driving me nuts.

I never solved my serial code problem by the way...just ended up buying one off bestbuy.com =/

I come from a FFXI background as well and finding a class was hard for me as well. I just kept trying various combos up to level 10 till I found one that clicked, which for me, was a Human Guardian.

Jack_AG

Banned
Need to be to craft out of bank for sure, no other way around it, it makes cooking, an otherwise awesome profession with a lot of cool discovery a total pain in spots.
Not only this - but all crafting mats should go straight to storage and not inventory. They already nixed inventory management with the "deposit" dropdown - no need for that button, IMO. Its not like you need to do anything but open bags and click - might as well streamline that with automatic storage deposot.

When I am cooking I want to discover the stuff on my own. I have to then put my entire inventory into the bank (which might not have enough space with all my OTHER crafting ingredients that can't go into the collections menu taking up space) and then drag all the ingredients I want to use into my inventory. Then anything I craft likely can't be stored in any place other than the bank. They didn't give enough bank space to make crafting actually enjoyable.

I see what you mean. Yeah, cooking can take up shit loads of inventory space. I've dealt with this by just cooking on an alt and giving him the highest-capacity bags I can make. So far, it's worked well.

I'll help where I can with that:
-Guardian is lacking at range and doesn't have much burst potential with damage, but is tough as fuck and is amazing at support/control.
-Warrior is a melee powerhouse with solid ranged options. They are somewhat weak at support and their control is lacking compared to guardian.
-Engineer is a a solid control/support class with a lot of ranged options, not much melee except flamethrower. Great at holding an area with turrets.
-Ranger is a high mobility DPS class with some ok support/control. The pet is their main mechanic which makes for an ok tank unless you're dealing with heavy hitting melee or champions/bosses.
-Thief is also a high mobility DPS class. Has extreme burst potential, especially for single targets. Has more stealth options and is ok at control. Their support is geared toward helping deal more damage or stacking conditions.
-Necromancer has a few tricks. They excel with conditions, have solid aoe control and damage, and have more fear-causing effects (control) than other classes. They're also exceedingly tough with their soul form which is charged by dying enemies and certain skills.

Arken2121

I see what you mean. Yeah, cooking can take up shit loads of inventory space. I've dealt with this by just cooking on an alt and giving him the highest-capacity bags I can make. So far, it's worked well.

I'll help where I can with that:
-Guardian is lacking at range and doesn't have much burst potential with damage, but is tough as fuck and is amazing at support/control.

I don't know about control or support. Symbols are still lacking and the only thing we can heal with is tome of courage. Control is lacking as well, no cripples of any kind. We can bubble you once or twice and then wait. Tough as fuck is most certainly correct.

Ranged as a Guardian right now is pretty lame 8(. Scepter is too slow and the damage is lackluster.

These mystic coins are really taking up my bank storage. :/
You know those stack, right?

I don't know about control or support. Symbols are still lacking and the only thing we can heal with is tome of courage. Control is lacking as well, no cripples of any kind. We can bubble you once or twice and then wait. Tough as fuck is most certainly correct.

Ranged as a Guardian right now is pretty lame 8(. Scepter is too slow and the damage is lackluster.
Try staff yet? It has line of warding+several aoe support/heal things. Mace/shield is pretty good for support in melee range.

is there any ways to speed up walk speed outside of skills?

Like mounts or what not?
There are traits that'll speed you up as well as NPCs in towns that'll give you swiftness. Oherwise, no. None that I can think of.

Arken2121

You know those stack, right?

Try staff yet? It has line of warding+several aoe support/heal things. Mace/shield is pretty good for support in melee range.

Mace is also too slow, the third hit is very predictable. Staff is decent when it comes to healing but you have to spec into healing power which leaves you with only 12k hp and that means you're screwed. I'd say the warrior outdoes the guardian in almost all aspects including melee dmg, range, support(banners) and control.

erragal

Mace is also too slow, the third hit is very predictable. Staff is decent when it comes to healing but you have to spec into healing power which leaves you with only 12k hp and that means you're screwed. I'd say the warrior outdoes the guardian in almost all aspects including melee dmg, range, support(banners) and control.

0/20/30/20/0 Guardian with Sword/Torch and Mace/Focus. Healing Signet, Retreat, Save Yourselves, Hold the Line as skills. Gear for precision/power with a bit of extra vitality/toughness as well. Extremely powerful and versatile in all phases with excellent single target dps in sword/torch, aoe dps in both weapon modes, an amazing array of blocks/blinds that can prevent huge amounts of damage. You do might on crit for the team, vigor on crit for yourself, might on block for yourself, and self healing on boon application which this spec has a ton of.

The staff is a horrible weapon in every aspect which makes me think you have very little familiarity with the guardian as a class.

I'm assuming this is PVP talk?

Also guardians can dish out blinding pretty well. And have an interrupt. The greatsword is amazing. The autoattack on the mace might not be great, but the mace has other useful skills.

Arken2121

0/20/30/20/0 Guardian with Sword/Torch and Mace/Focus. Healing Signet, Retreat, Save Yourselves, Hold the Line as skills. Gear for precision/power with a bit of extra vitality/toughness as well. Extremely powerful and versatile in all phases with excellent single target dps in sword/torch, aoe dps in both weapon modes, an amazing array of blocks/blinds that can prevent huge amounts of damage. You do might on crit for the team, vigor on crit for yourself, might on block for yourself, and self healing on boon application which this spec has a ton of.

The staff is a horrible weapon in every aspect which makes me think you have very little familiarity with the guardian as a class.

I run 10/30/30. Signet for healing, Smite condition, judges intervention and save yourselves. This build has heavy toughness and dps when applying burning. Also, my crit is steadily at 45%. Sword/shield with Mace/torch. Excellent build but since I have no cripples, it's tough for me to chase anyone down unless I switch to scepter.

Damned Hurricane Isaac knocked me out of this for the entire week. Cable's finally back tonight, right before I head to bed for work in the morning.

Oh well, guess this just means I get to start fresh a second time, sorta.

Arken2121

The staff is excellent for healing your party or trolling the opposition with line of warding. Other than that, it's terrible. I've played this class before launch and I know the ins and outs of it.

Arken2121

I'm assuming this is PVP talk?

Also guardians can dish out blinding pretty well. And have an interrupt. The greatsword is amazing. The autoattack on the mace might not be great, but the mace has other useful skills.

Blinding isn't the problem, it's the fact that since it only blocks the next attack, a simple auto attack can easily negate it. And since they nerfed the binding blade range, the great sword fell a rung short on the list of usefulness. The only real useful skill the mace has is protector's strike. The symbol is terrible since no one ever stays in it and the auto is too slow.

erragal

Blinding isn't the problem, it's the fact that since it only blocks the next attack, a simple auto attack can easily negate it. And since they nerfed the binding blade range, the great sword fell a rung short on the list of usefulness. The only real useful skill the mace has is protector's strike. The symbol is terrible since no one ever stays in it and the auto is too slow.

A symbol the reapplies regeneration multiple times is bad? It's the only symbol that actually is usable for the guardian in pvp because it is powerful even if the damage doesn't connect, particularly when each regen application on each target contributes extra healing. Mace is a team fighting weapon for large confrontations, it's not something you use for burning down a single target.

Have you actually played the build I explained? You don't seem to have any familiarity with crit based Guardians and how they play and why it's so powerful. Guardians are definitely flawed in that they have two extremely bad weapons (staff, shield) and one where the third autoattack actually IS too slow (Hammer actually does come out far too slow to be usable which sucks because the rest of the kit is good)

When you're chaining events, hearts, and exploration, PvE feels great.

But man, when you're doing one heart that has terrible objectives (like clearing tunnels and waiting for spawns) the game grinds to a halt.

Today was most of the latter, tried to get to 40 but ran out of renowned hearts and my personal quest is at 42, may try to chain Hinterlands events.

Arken2121

A symbol the reapplies regeneration multiple times is bad? It's the only symbol that actually is usable for the guardian in pvp because it is powerful even if the damage doesn't connect, particularly when each regen application on each target contributes extra healing. Mace is a team fighting weapon for large confrontations, it's not something you use for burning down a single target.

Have you actually played the build I explained? You don't seem to have any familiarity with crit based Guardians and how they play and why it's so powerful. Guardians are definitely flawed in that they have two extremely bad weapons (staff, shield) and one where the third autoattack actually IS too slow (Hammer actually does come out far too slow to be usable which sucks because the rest of the kit is good)

Are you kidding me? The regeneration from the mace symbol gives you a little over a 100 per tick, definitely not worth it at all. I am a crit based guardian if you looked at the build I posted. Crit based guardians only really apply to 1h weapons anyway so the great sword/staff are useless.(right handed strength) The shield is an excellent weapons, a 5 second protection buff to you and your teammates with a push back?

eek5

When you're chaining events, hearts, and exploration, PvE feels great.

But man, when you're doing one heart that has terrible objectives (like clearing tunnels and waiting for spawns) the game grinds to a halt.

Today was most of the latter, tried to get to 40 but ran out of renowned hearts and my personal quest is at 42, may try to chain Hinterlands events.

Some of the hearts feels like the only way to complete it is if an event spawns while you're there. It's cool when the event spawns but when it doesn't..... fml

inky

It's dumb that you can even buy armor you can't use with karma considering it's soulbound, unsalvageable and unsellable. Needs to be fixed imo. Might as well raise a ticket or report it as a bug...

and be banned for exploiting :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom