• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreavus

There is never ever a reason to grind monsters in Guild Wars 2.

Because in the end, people still want a mechanical experience, not a dynamic one. Guarantees are something gamers have come to expect.

Certainly seems that way, and it's actually pretty depressing. They've set up this whole dynamic world, and in the end a lot of players "don't want to miss anything" and need to make sure they're doing things "right" at all times. I'm kind of glad that the wiki is far from complete at this moment because it means people need to use the heads, at least for some things.

I probably shouldn't be ragging on people for the way they play, but it feels so... against the philosophy of the game to be meticulously plotting every upcoming interaction.

I haven't really felt my Guardian was powerful enough. I was constantly dying everywhere I went. Then I decided to try out the Greatsword. OMG! I'm leaving bodies everywhere. Instantly made this game so much better. I'm usually not a fan of greatswords in games but this just feels so right. I was using sword/torch before.

YFZJv.jpg

Ferga

Personally, I have it all up, but I don't pay much attention to the chat window while I'm playing. Every now and then while I'm traveling or between events I'll pop in and wonder what's going on in Guild chat, and then maybe I'll happen to see some map chat and have to /sigh about their maturity level. But then the events start up and I'm too busy enjoying the game to chitchat. If I'm on mumble I might be a bit more talkative, but even then its more like minutes of silence followed by "I just did the most awesome event" or "dammit I went down and some guy just stepped on my body and then ran off without helping me".

Yeah, I did the same. It should have been obvious how it was going to turn out within a few posts, but for some reason I subjected myself to it anyway.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I really liked talking in map chat with people and cracking jokes and making new friends to quest with in other mmos. But in GW2, people are too busy playing to chat.

I guess it's one of the sacrifices for GW2 to be a really fun game.

Beepos

I haven't really felt my Guardian was powerful enough. I was constantly dying everywhere I went. Then I decided to try out the Greatsword. OMG! I'm leaving bodies everywhere. Instantly made this game so much better. I'm usually not a fan of greatswords in games but this just feels so right. I was using sword/torch before.

Eh I just got to lv40 and swapped out the greatsword for sword/torch which works out once you can buff condition damage with traits. There is simply wayyyy to many guardians using the greatsword which makes sense because from the combos I tried, it's easily one of the best.

Also how damn tough is AC explore mode. Got up towards the end before someone got frustrated and left and took the whole party out with him sigh.

Finally managed to create a character at midnight, played till 3am. Yes, the game is gut.

Norn Warrior level 5, I hope I will have enough mats soon to make a greatsword. Really liked Sword+Horn, atm having Axe+Mace to get all the skills for the OH, then I will switch to Spear+Rifle.

Any tips from fellow warriors?

Sethos

Banned
I just found my damn arch nemesis enemy in this game: Ogres. My blood pressure just goes up when fighting them, knockdown, knockdown, knockdown, chains to incapacitate you and if you dare run their fucking pets will bite you and give you like a 15 second 50% slow.

And then on to the next ogre.

Finally managed to create a character at midnight, played till 3am. Yes, the game is gut.

Norn Warrior level 5, I hope I will have enough mats soon to make a greatsword. Really liked Sword+Horn, atm having Axe+Mace to get all the skills for the OH, then I will switch to Spear+Rifle.

How are you finding the starting area? I find I can't play as Norn because of their ridiculous slow running animation and how boring the area seems to be.

This is despite loving their animations and nearly everything else about them.

Alex

I'm having a lot of fun in the sPvP stuff, I really, really like how they've laid their systems out for it. I always liked battlegrounds in WoW in bursts, prior to every class in the game having eighty forms of CC, but still the amount of complete and utter toil they wanted you to do for gear once resilience came in totally soured me on it after the first two seasons as someone who likes dinking with multi specs and usually about two characters more than focusing on one.

I understand needing a carrot, there are just less absurd ways to do it. I was pretty decent at WoW PvP too, I had Gladiator on S2, but I just didn't keep going past that point much because of the work involved with doing something different.

On the minus side in GW2, I don't like the legwork that involves getting in there with a friend. Mostly being auto balanced out of it, I know why they do it, but I'm still gonna whine. I needs mah partner

Piecake

once you go axe/axe you never go back

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
nerd!

Go with household objects combined with a food description word like Cajun Lamp or Crunchy Bottle.

-looks at username-

naw. :D All my chars have lore-true names! Found a good name for my Sylvari, had to stray a bit from the original names: Paraidign. I like it.

my Main is a male norn called Aleifir Gafsson, aka Aleifir, Son of GAF. Yeah, a bit proud of that. :D Yeah I'm part Elonian, part Krytan alright.

How are you finding the starting area? I find I can't play as Norn because of their ridiculous slow running animation and how boring the area seems to be.

This is despite loving their animations and nearly everything else about them.

Their starting area is ok, I played Asura for like 20 minutes and I think Norn 1-15 is better. I like the whole Norse stuff, I guess that helps a lot. I am expecting lots of legendary fights and tales of bravery & honor down the road.

That being said there is nothing special about Norn starting area, I'm sad they didn't have an option to increase vegetation if your GPU can handle it, the maps feels a bit barren in places.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Level 36 on my Elementalist now, and I just ran through Ascalon Catacombs story mode.

I didn't like it much. Maybe I still just don't understand how to play the game, but everything feels so damn chaotic, unpredictable, and hard to read. There doesn't seem to be any reliable way to stay alive in this game, and each boss fight ended with us zerging the shit out of it.

I really hope it's just that none of us in my group understood how the game works yet, because if this is how the game is meant to be played, it's doomed in terms of group PvE longevity.

desverger

Dunno what people find so great about greatsword Mesmers :/

I've been using a greatsword occasionally but it definitely has some problems. Not as many as the sceptre, but still.

1. All the animations are really long, which drops down the damage. Mind stab locks you in place.
2. Clones are useless since they don't deal conditions.
3. Summoned phantasm is melee and situational.
4. Pushback is very situational.
5. Mirror Blade summons a clone, which leaves you just autoattacking if using a phantasm build.

The staff is just better in every sense, especially if you play around with clones. The staff clones cause the same conditions as your main attack with the staff, so 3 of those up = mad damage.

Granted, it's fun in those big zerg events where you summon your melee phantasm and it sweeps through a big pack, but apart from that, the skills are kinda meh :p

Ken

Level 36 on my Elementalist now, and I just ran through Ascalon Catacombs story mode.

I didn't like it much. Maybe I still just don't understand how to play the game, but everything feels so damn chaotic, unpredictable, and hard to read. There doesn't seem to be any reliable way to stay alive in this game, and each boss fight ended with us zerging the shit out of it.

I really hope it's just that none of us understand how the game works yet, because if this is how the game is meant to be played, it's doomed in terms of PvE longevity.

I think it's just that dungeon. CM was much easier than AC, and when you wiped you know why. AC was like...what.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Should I splurge 80 bucks for the digital deluxe edition? It's the only one available for purchase...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Should I splurge 80 bucks for the digital deluxe edition? It's the only one available for purchase...

Definitely wait until tomorrow at least and see if Amazon doesn't get more keys.

The collector's edition doesn't look worth it at all. A bunch of expendable items and a pet, right? Not worth $20, in my opinion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Definitely wait until tomorrow at least and see if Amazon doesn't get more keys.

The collector's edition doesn't look worth it at all. A bunch of expendable items and a pet, right? Not worth $20, in my opinion.
One cool elite skill. Not worth 20 bucks, though.

51 hours later, I finally look kind of different from starting gear.

http://i.minus.com/jz2lmLuDflSSS.jpg

Even in heavy armour, they can't help themselves with the sexualisation lol

Their starting area is ok, I played Asura for like 20 minutes and I think Norn 1-15 is better. I like the whole Norse stuff, I guess that helps a lot. I am expecting lots of legendary fights and tales of bravery & honor down the road.

That being said there is nothing special about Norn starting area, I'm sad they didn't have an option to increase vegetation if your GPU can handle it, the maps feels a bit barren in places.

Exactly my feeling. It feels so bare compared to the busyness of the other starting areas, even Sylvari.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Btw, are there enough skill points in the game to buy all the skills? Or can you later reset the skills purchased and pick new ones?

Is that warrior heavy armor?
When you "level" after 80, you still get skill points. They are unlimited. You can get all the skills and more.

Beepos

I really hope it's just that none of us understand how the game works yet, because if this is how the game is meant to be played, it's doomed in terms of PvE longevity.

What till you get to try out explore mode. It makes story mode look like a joke in terms of difficulty. It's doable but all so slow, except full wipes over and over and over...

Ken

You get some one time use boosts that I accidentally clicked and used up and never found out what they were for.

There's that minipet that I never used and the Elite Skill that you probably won't use once you get a class specific Elite skill.

Btw, are there enough skill points in the game to buy all the skills? Or can you later reset the skills purchased and pick new ones?

Is that warrior heavy armor?

Yeah, human cultural tier 2 heavy armor.

Alex

Let it settle just a tad and then you can just get it from GMG for like 45 bucks or something with one of their coupons, if those are still going on.

80 is extravagant, it ain't goin' no where.

Dreavus

I'm having a lot of fun in the sPvP stuff, I really, really like how they've laid their systems out for it. I always liked battlegrounds in WoW in bursts, prior to every class in the game having eighty forms of CC, but still the amount of complete and utter toil they wanted you to do for gear once resilience came in totally soured me on it after the first two seasons as someone who likes dinking with multi specs and usually about two characters more than focusing on one.

I understand needing a carrot, there are just less absurd ways to do it. I was pretty decent at WoW PvP too, I had Gladiator on S2, but I just didn't keep going past that point much because of the work involved with doing something different.

On the minus side in GW2, I don't like the legwork that involves getting in there with a friend. Mostly being auto balanced out of it, I know why they do it, but I'm still gonna whine. I needs mah partner

I really gotta get in there and just mess around with a build and test stuff out. I've played a bunch of rounds with the standard load out (Mesmer: great sword / scepter + torch) and I find myself getting wrecked from time to time by more focused builds.

I'm thinking of a [1h sword + pistol / staff] and sticking toward using sustained phantasms, but still have no idea about traits and utility skills. Gotta get in there... I love having everything available to me in terms of skills/traits/gear, but it's also a bit overwhelming too! Can't wait till I have a solid build going.

KScorp

I really hope it's just that none of us in my group understood how the game works yet, because if this is how the game is meant to be played, it's doomed in terms of group PvE longevity.

My friends and I had no problem with it, we played through it with 5. (Elementalist, Guardian, Warrior, Mesmer, and Theif) The only time we had trouble was in the very beginning, since we never played a dungeon before and had no idea what to expect. I think we each had to respawn about 3-5 times... thank god they had an anvil in the beginning.

After that though, we just tread carefully, and made sure to use the targeting system to have us all focus down the same enemy. The two lovers were the only place we had a problem, where I think we each got killed about once and had to head to the waypoint. I loved the dungeon though, it was very difficult and really required us to work together, but it wasn't to the point of ridiculousness for us. I could see where problems would arise if your group isn't coordinated though.

Although, two of us were around level 50 and another in mid 40s. Not sure how much of a difference that makes for the difficulty.

Haven't tried exploration mode yet.

From what I read, you can get an infinite amount of skill points. After you reach level 80, you can still "level up" where you receive an additional skill point each time. There's also an NPC that gives you items in exchange for skill points. One of the items costs 200, and lets you produce a legendary weapon in the mystic forge...

Jack_AG

Banned
After running AC with my warrior for the first time tonight I switched from Axe/Axe to Rifle w/sword/shield and running a bleed/support build.

Practicing up with ranged, stacking bleeds, knocking back, bleed more, switch sword, dive in, stun, roll out... man so much fun! Them bleed numbers just fly out like a broken water spigot o_O

In a tight spot, drop banner, pick up for the knockdown, apply swiftness, plant again and begin the killing at range. Of course ill still probably die my ass off in AC again but i'll be better prepared next time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I didn't find it that hard outside of that damn lovers boss. Brute forcing it works, but yeah, I would say your group was inexperienced in the game in general. If you can't reliably stay alive for the majority of the dungeon, you guys are doing something terribly wrong.

We wiped our first time through, but I went again with sme others, andit worked like clockwork. We still had a tough time, but we never had to resort to zerging. It comes down to understanding the game, and frankly not playing it like WoW.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I guess I can borrow a friend's account for now to try it out.

With that said are there any news to when they will re-open purchase for serial again?

Stuart444

TP is very smooth atm, even has an "ok" button after putting something up to sell which it wouldn't do for me last time. (I had to close and open the TP to get it to reload before)

Made 50 silver in a few seconds as well thanks to some gathering earlier on for my daily :D

khefka

Neo Member
Focus is above average but against a skilled player, your shield will be burned down before it explodes
I always see it mentioned that the shield will be gone before it explodes, well so what? Blocking the next 3 attacks has been infinitely more useful to me so far than the damage it would do to explode.

Piecake

I think I might give Mesmer another shot. Charr Mesmer baby! (Makes sense with Ash legion i guess)

My Charr Necro is honestly kinda boring me. Really boring me. the weapon skills arent doing it for me and the utility skills are fairly dull as well. Not sure why I liked it in the beta... Probably because he felt like such a freakin tank, though necro is feeling a lot less powerful now than he did then. Not really sure why since i dont think they changed a whole lot

I really never gave sword/torch a good try during the beta, and i think id like it if i focused on that with some Greatsword as my swap in weapon. Manipulation skills seem pretty fun

Problem is, is that Mesmer has a lot of skills that just seem dull to me - mantra, signet, glamour, bah. Well, the sword/torch weapon skills sound cool, and thats the most important thing.

Im thinking of speccing into Chaos and illusions and a bit of domination (for the improved mind wrack - since my condition damage is non-existent) On the plus side, Ill get two phantasms out there and my illusions wont spawn off my auto attack, so thats good.

TP is very smooth atm, even has an "ok" button after putting something up to sell which it wouldn't do for me last time. (I had to close and open the TP to get it to reload before)

Made 50 silver in a few seconds as well thanks to some gathering earlier on for my daily :D
I just went to my transactions and back again and it worked fine.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So uh, GAFGUILD... We have 45k influence, why aren't we using some of that oO. There's cheap stuff like +15% karma for 24h that everyone could use for like 500 influence, why aren't we spending it?

Piecake

So uh, GAFGUILD... We have 45k influence, why aren't we using some of that oO. There's cheap stuff like +15% karma for 24h that everyone could use for like 500 influence, why aren't we spending it?

we are. We had all of those buffs rolling today. Might be still on for all i know. And if they're not, well, all the officers simply might be asleep or something

Nekrono

I haven't really PvP'ed but I just realized that a Warrior with a Greatsword might not be very viable? The second ability "Hundred Blades" gets inturrepted if you move so yeah...

Alex

I don't really care that much for WvW so far, I prefer SPvP. WvW in my time playing has been mostly Tarren Mill type zergs slamming against each other, which isn't really my thing, it has some cool features, though and I'll give it more of a chance later. Although, outside of the UO Color Wars* bit that never came out of beta before Origin was put out of commission by EA, I don't think I've ever truly enjoyed mass PvP. DAoC def had it's moments, though.

*Since it's so old, I figured I'd explain that these were these neat eight way, world wide battles with each color having it's own castle and special unlimited resource, you'd go back and forth and try to raid each other and convert their color to yours and take over the world. Man everything this game did was so incredibly ahead of it's time, I miss Origin.

Morokh

Wait ! did I just read on the wiki that guilds are not server exclusive ? (meaining people on different servers can be in the same guild ? (only limitation being PvP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom