• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No threat management, IE: How do you "tank" one away from the other when they are just doing whatever they please.
We started off the fight and I grabbed the dudes attention and held him for quite a while on one side, but with no healer, he out damages my heals before the CD is reset.
There is a corridor just off of their room with doors that you can open and close by standing on pressure plates.

Have everybody standing in that hallway, pick up a boulder, get their attention, run toward that hallway, hit one of them with a boulder so the other one follows you into the corridor, close the doors, separating them. Kill 'em one at a time.

V_Arnold

I love getting into events where everything around you is 2-3+ levels higher than you, killing a lot of non-elites that drop rares AND a lot of xp from the event itself. Just love it.

I really hate these personal story quests where they give you NPC companions to go with you. The AI is retarded and constantly screws shit up. What should be simple just gets ruined by AI doing stupid stuff like pulls on mobs or screwing up any kiting causing the enemy mobs to reset and fully heal up. And love when your AI buddies decide to stop fighting for some reason and will wander off, often causing them to aggro some other mob elsewhere during a fight

And underwater combat, who thought this was a good idea?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There is a corridor just off of their room with doors that you can open and close by standing on pressure plates.

Have everybody standing in that hallway, pick up a boulder, get their attention, run toward that hallway, hit one of them with a boulder so the other one follows you into the corridor, close the doors, separating them. Kill 'em one at a time.

I hate that this is how you're supposed to do the fight - it feels completely backwards from the mechanics they created. But if that's the only reliable way to one-shot that fight, I imagine this is the strategy I'll use when I clear it on explore mode.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And underwater combat, who thought this was a good idea?
This is literally the only game where I've ever enjoyed the underwater combat.
I hate that this is how you're supposed to do the fight - it feels completely backwards from the mechanics they created. But if that's the only reliable way to one-shot that fight, I imagine this is the strategy I'll use when I clear it on explore mode.
Why? Each of the mobs has a "stronger when the other is nearby" buff. It's clear they way you to separate them and they give you all these tools to do so. What's backwards about it?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I really liked talking in map chat with people and cracking jokes and making new friends to quest with in other mmos. But in GW2, people are too busy playing to chat.

I guess it's one of the sacrifices for GW2 to be a really fun game.

you are right. GW2 requires a completely different level of participation due to the combat.

I think / hope that in the future people will socialize more. we are still ina phase of trying to get people get it. every day is a new struggle to teach people the virtues of many of the game systems and why they are the way they are. people who come from 8 years of wow dont just adjust over night.

mainframe

Neo Member
you are right. GW2 requires a completely different level of participation due to the combat.

I think / hope that in the future people will socialize more. we are still ina phase of trying to get people get it. every day is a new struggle to teach people the virtues of many of the game systems and why they are the way they are. people who come from 8 years of wow dont just adjust over night.

Tough to adjust when a simple mechanic of trading between players.. is left out..

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Yeah I went to sleep with Stormbluff in the lead and getting more points than the others. Woke up to see Jade with a huge lead and control. Those overnight zergs are going to be brutal. Did all the Koreans join Jade? Seeing as we lost ours, this will continue to be a problem.

The Japanese are on JQ too. when I told some Japanese nicovideo broadcasters that Koreans are on JQ too , they were not amused lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I think / hope that in the future people will socialize more.
I really enjoy briefly switching to /say when something nearby is going on or I see somebody trying something I want to participate in (you can just type /say (or whatever) in the chat bar to have it switch).

I rather enjoy the under water combat too.

Is their a way to dive down wihtout moving the camera etc. i.e. the opposite of using the spacebar to surface?
Yes, but I honestly don't know it's even mapped by default (swim down). It's RB + Dpad Down for me haha.

daxy

Question: I've got several items that I can't salvage or sell to NPCs (I guess I must've bought them for karma). What are you supposed to do with those? Just destroy them?

nickcv

I rather enjoy the under water combat too.

Is their a way to dive down wihtout moving the camera etc. i.e. the opposite of using the spacebar to surface?

i was messing around yesterday with the keyboard bindings, and you can actually bind any key to that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Why? Each of the mobs has a "stronger when the other is nearby" buff. It's clear they way you to separate them and they give you all these tools to do so. What's backwards about it?

I don't know, it just comes off as "exploiting" the mechanic. Maybe not though, since they DO put a pressure plate door right at the entrance of the room? I felt like they put it there to prevent you from running in accidentally during the previous fight, though.

This is literally the only game where I've ever enjoyed the underwater combat.

Why? It's no different from any other MMO underwater combat that everyone hates. The only difference is that you get a different underwater weapon which takes away all your utility skills and it's far more static combat than standard ground play. Other MMOs with underwater combat at least let you use all your regular abilities and such underwater even if it doesn't look right. You lose your class uniqeness underwater as well for just your water weapon skills.

The only nice thing is that they removed having to go up for air.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know, it just comes off as "exploiting" the mechanic. Maybe not though, since they DO put a pressure plate door right at the entrance of the room? I felt like they put it there to prevent you from running in accidentally during the previous fight, though.
It's an "airlock"-style corridor, there is a door on each side controlled by the pressure plates. And scattered around everywhere are boulders you can use to do a ranged knockdown. Combined with the "stronger when near the other" boon it seems almost explicit.

It's not like I'm saying I would have figured it out my first time fighting them without dying, but someone in my group knew it the first time I was doing the dungeon, and the second time I ran it I knew it and explained it to the team. I hope there are more fights set up intended for you to use the environment this way.

NGKrush

Neo Member
I've only had bad experiences with the dungeons atm. They are much too hard and it's near impossible to react to attacks (besides the slow ones you can dodge). Nearly all dungeons have lead to over 30 deaths and losing a lot of money on repairs...
I know the game downgrades your level. But being a tanky built lvl50 engineer would, imho, mean I can take more than 2 hits in a lvl 30 dungeon..

What are your experiences?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's an "airlock"-style corridor, there is a door on each side controlled by the pressure plates. And scattered around everywhere are boulders you can use to do a ranged knockdown. Combined with the "stronger when near the other" boon it seems almost explicit.

It's not like I'm saying I would have figured it out my first time fighting them without dying, but someone in my group knew it the first time I was doing the dungeon, and the second time I ran it I knew it and explained it to the team. I hope there are more fights set up intended for you to use the environment this way.

Maybe, and if that's how it's supposed to be done, than that's fine. But the way I've watched it done (4-manned) was by using rocks + kiting. I'll try it out again tonight using the pressure plate mechanic. Hopefully it will yield better results!

If any of you are stuck on a grisly shipment personal quest, there is a workaround. Kill all the kraits in the water and after asking for the bomb just sit in the middle of the hold for about a minute then everything will start burning and you can continue.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ye gods, I can't believe people attempt this. I joined Bulroth's group last night (it was him and three PUGs) and it was tough enough managing them with 5 of us!

With the tactic you posted, I imagine 4-manning it would be pretty easy. Once we had Vassar down, Relena was a JOKE. We tried taking Relena down first a bunch, but we found it was easier to have someone throw rocks at Relena while we dealt with Vassar than the other way around.

Anyways, I'm going to run exploration mode tonight after work. And than it's off to try our hand at CM. :|

sgossard

Played last night using the ps3 controller and man... this is my first mmo and I was kinda having a hard time with the k/m controls but no more. It really is easier and a bit more fun to play with a controller. Arenanet should implement Hawkian's config natively. To all of you thinking 'An mmo with a controller? Is such a thing even possible?' Well, it is.

I went over to my friend's place yesterday and messed around with the character creation and watched him play some PvP.

I think I'm sold on it. Just have to wait for my new laptop to come in...

Why have I not tried Necromancer before? I really like it.

1G3XD.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Why have I not tried Necromancer before? I really like it.

I'm loving my Necro, but I'm discovering that it's a very complex class. I hit 43 last night and I'm STILL trying to tweak how a working conditionmancer should play with combo fields and finishers. When I do it "right", I absolutely humiliate my enemies. When I do it "wrong", I get shat on.

Audίoboxer;41737675 said:
The Charr personal story (blood legion) is already kicking the arse out of all the human ones.

Yea it's better than most of the other stories. The human and Sylv stuff were boring as heck.

Beepos

Has anyone cleared AC explore yet? If so what choice did you make to at the beginning? It's really annoying to try and explain to people how to even get past the Lt. guy in the middle of the dungeon before they rage quit.

OceanBlue

I have no idea what's going on in WvW... Maybe I should find an active guild so I'm not just watching 3-4 people complain on map chat all the time.

Or I should just finish PvE, but I like going for a change of pace every now and then.

OceanBlue

GAF..guild? ;P

That's a thing?

I feel like you guys would all be in a different world though... I kinda just picked one without thinking about it. I don't play a lot of large MMOs so this is the first time I've really had to think about the server I was on. I'm on Fort Aspenwood, if anyone else is there.

Someone help me. I have 85 89 common dyes and I can't stop buying more.

....wow.

I feel like I have been getting very little dye drops myself. I have about 40 hours played and have gotten 5 unidentified dyes so far. Going off guild chat I would think people are getting dye drops every couple minutes. :lol I realize it's not that common, but 5 over 40 hours seems low.

Just rolled an elementalist now. God, so much fun.

And all the armor looks amazing as well.

I still have not been able to play anything else. I have tried many different professions, but Elementalist is just so much fun. Anything else I try I end up just wanting to go back to my Ele. I think a lot of it has to do with the other classes starting weapons. They really need to make it to where you can select your starting weapon, sometimes the one they give you is just boring and makes the very beginning of the game a little boring.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Played last night using the ps3 controller and man... this is my first mmo and I was kinda having a hard time with the k/m controls but no more. It really is easier and a bit more fun to play with a controller. Arenanet should implement WeltallZero and Hawkian's config natively. To all of you thinking 'An mmo with a controller? Is such a thing even possible?' Well, it is.
Fixed! The framework is mine but he really did the heavy lifting- the underlying features that really make it such a joy to control.

But yes, if the idea appeals to you to any extent, even on a "huh, how could that even work" level, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. It's just such a blast.

I'm working on putting together a package to show ArenaNet as a proof of concept for native support. Honestly, there are aspects of the game's design that almost seem intended for it. Options like automatically choose a target/not promoting skill targets to full targets/the fact that the 5 weapon skills are static.... it's all just really well-suited.

mr.rager

Did CM explorable yesterday with a full group of gaffers. Was pretty easy for the most part. We wiped a couple of times but that was mostly due to not knowing what to do. A hell of a lot easier compared to AC explorable.

Forkball

The trade post is a godsend. I went above 100 in both my professions, and got past 150 from jewelry when I was only about level 75 beforehand. I also leveled up twice from crafting. I am free from copper/jute FOREVER. I really wish I kept track of how much my character improved after an hour of using the TP. My chest armor went up by 40 (plus a new design), crit chance went up by 5%, and I got new jewelry, weapons, and pretty much everything. I GATHERED SOME TURNIPS AND SOLD IT IMMEDIATELY. I also sold a yellow item I found the day before for 20 silver. It's like a whole new game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Necro question!

What does the trait "Wells use ground targeting" do? I know what it SAYS it should do, but I haven't noticed any difference when using it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Stupid question: Are guilds cross server or do I have to be on the GAF Server (Stormbluff Isle?) to join?

crossamund servertron

Is the trade post finally up for everyone? Or did I misunderstand the posts earlier?
It's up, and it's spectacular.

Thinking about stealth logging in from work to clear out the rest of my crafted inventory and pick up the profits from my listings last night. Then crafting frenzy when I get home. I bet I can break 200 jewelcrafting in 10 minutes with all the stuff I know to try for discovery.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
crossamund servertron

It's up, and it's spectacular.

Thinking about stealth logging in from work to clear out the rest of my crafted inventory and pick up the profits from my listings last night. Then crafting frenzy when I get home. I bet I can break 200 jewelcrafting in 10 minutes with all the stuff I know to try for discovery.

I feel like a terrible person for wanting to do this as well - setup a virtual to do some trading between projects at the office. :-X I wonder how easy/hard that is to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom