• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
That armor looks sick. What level do you get that kind of stuff? I can't wait to get sexier stuff on my Guardian. The earlier on helmets for GRD are so fugly I turned off them being displayed.

Everything I'm wearing right now is level 45 gear but I believe that model of gear starts a lot earlier, if you pick it up from trading post.

By the way, anyone know if it's possible to preview gear in TP? Haven't found a way and the blind-buying is annoying.

Levyne

Banned
Guys who are a little farther...does all of the 42k karma armor look the same? The 5 temples in orr and the guy outside of arah all sell some but all of it looks the same just with different runes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I borrowed my friend's account to see if I'll like GW2.

I enjoyed it, but I'm talking more about graphical settings - supersampling isn't really that needed right? I can run things ultra with normal but not in supersampling.

KePoW

Banned
Not that I see in the options. There should be one to disable everything but your own effects, as it can get beyond ridiculous at times with the amount of zerg fights the game has.

That goes for grass/rain slider as well. They still need to work on getting more graphical options into the game.

I believe the Animation option controls some of that stuff. When I turned it to low, I got better performance

Levyne

Banned

I enjoyed it, but I'm talking more about graphical settings - supersampling isn't really that needed right? I can run things ultra with normal but not in supersampling.

It definitely makes things look sharper but, yeah...too much a drop in FPS for me to not run in native.

KePoW

Banned

Supersampling is a huge hit in frames for any game.

Styles

Going dual dagger with an elementalist is so rad. I LOVE how quickly you can traverse through areas with that "Ride the Lightning" skill. Makes me feel so badass when I zoom straight pass players and get to the enemies before them, lol.

Havik

Is anyone making any money on the trading post? Everything is way to cheap to be worth selling. Made some pretty good cooking items and when i checked the prices on the TP everything was <10c, thats less then what the ingridients cost.

Grakl

Not that I see in the options. There should be one to disable everything but your own effects, as it can get beyond ridiculous at times with the amount of zerg fights the game has.

That goes for grass/rain slider as well. They still need to work on getting more graphical options into the game.

Yeah. I haven't got the game yet, but these zerg rushes that I see on streams and the like are kind of turning me off from the actual combat due to the insane amount of effects. I like seeing what's going on, you know? Especially after playing Everquest a long while back. Not pretty, but it got the job done.

sPvP doesn't look bad, though.

Some of these personal story quests are ridiculously annoying. I'm not sure how far from the end I am but I just did a level 80 one and it made me want to punch a baby lol. Seriously never again with another character doing these.

Some of these personal story quests are ridiculously annoying. I'm not sure how far from the end I am but I just did a level 80 one and it made me want to punch a baby lol. Seriously never again with another character doing these.

I'm not that far in at all but I do like the content in them, just not the presentation. The 2 characters talking thing is terrible especially when you have dreadful voice acting. Why couldn't they just keep speech bubbles like WoW did during story moments and allow you to remain in gameplay? The missions themselves are pretty cool though and mostly fun.

Arksy

Yeah. I haven't got the game yet, but these zerg rushes that I see on streams and the like are kind of turning me off from the actual combat due to the insane amount of effects. I like seeing what's going on, you know? Especially after playing Everquest a long while back. Not pretty, but it got the job done.

sPvP doesn't look bad, though.

It's a new system, it's going to look confusing. Once you get used to it you see what's going on you learn the skills and their effects and can combo with them pretty effectively with finishers and the like.

Guardians, why do I see a lot of them using shields in pve?

They do seem totally inferior to focus and torch.

They seem to be just pvp focused.

Could they be traited to be useful?

Is anyone making any money on the trading post? Everything is way to cheap to be worth selling. Made some pretty good cooking items and when i checked the prices on the TP everything was <10c, thats less then what the ingridients cost.

trading being down for so long has people not knowing prices and it's turned into a dump of stuff. Prices are a mess right now.

KingKong

Did my first real 'large' event today, with Kol

ibdW6Fo2HxknYe.png

10 minutes later as we move outside, all those people in combat looks like this :p

icqpVPu5kCv8m.png

wow, your Kol moved outside? When I did it, he just stayed in the cave and it took like 20 minutes for people to kill him because of his massive HP. He didn't really do much, everyone was just fighting him with ranged weapons.

It was a pretty smooth transition into helping the woman find her husband and then break down the shortcut to the minotaur camp, which is was great. I think that's one thing a lot of DEs are missing, it takes too long for the next one in the chain to begin. If they started right away, more people would stick around

Good question. I'm a believer for a scepter + focus combination for my PvEing.

Scepter is pretty decent in pve due to enemies not dodging much lol.

Probably the only way to get gold on world bosses without dieing a lot.

I still find gsword to be my go to pve weapon though.

Stuart444

There is a corridor just off of their room with doors that you can open and close by standing on pressure plates.

Have everybody standing in that hallway, pick up a boulder, get their attention, run toward that hallway, hit one of them with a boulder so the other one follows you into the corridor, close the doors, separating them. Kill 'em one at a time.

My group tried this several times but eventually, before we got them out, they would run back and would ignore our attacks until they were back in their starting positions. It was near impossible to do it. (this was again last night when me and my gf who did the dungeon once before went with 3 people who hadn't done it before).

So what did we do? Keep them away from each other. 3 people went for Ralena while me and someone else went for Vassar. Eventually we got him far enough away and it was more of a case of dodging, speed boosting and throwing boulders (the speed boost help get the boulder without getting hit). Also when downed, my elementilist mist form helped distract Vassar before he went back to Ralena.

We still died a lot and needed to go back to the waypoint but we were able to keep them mostly apart after that. Tough fight and I would defo say the trash needs tuned as outside of the lovers, the trash are more tough than the bosses.

Sethos

Banned
wow, your Kol moved outside? When I did it, he just stayed in the cave and it took like 20 minutes for people to kill him because of his massive HP. He didn't really do much, everyone was just fighting him with ranged weapons.

It was a pretty smooth transition into helping the woman find her husband and then break down the shortcut to the minotaur camp, which is was great. I think that's one thing a lot of DEs are missing, it takes too long for the next one in the chain to begin. If they started right away, more people would stick around

Oh no, it was a pure cave fight but the events lead further into the cave and into another dynamic event basically - That's when we moved outside. Lots of XP.

XeroSauce

Gotta give the economy some time to normalize.

Going dual dagger with an elementalist is so rad. I LOVE how quickly you can traverse through areas with that "Ride the Lightning" skill. Makes me feel so badass when I zoom straight pass players and get to the enemies before them, lol.

That is probably my favorite Elementalist dagger skill. It's so awesome. I really like the lightning "whip" attack too.

Staff is my favorite weapon for Elementalist overall with dual daggers being my second. Elementalists have so much variety with all the different attunements and the conjured weapons. I can't believe how powerful the conjured weapons are. I thought they would be useless.

jono51

Banned
Hit 80 and had a play around in the late game zones. Pretty fun seeing impromptu groups go around and kill stuff. Also, I only need 4 skill points for my last skill (Hounds of Balthazar). Basically, I just wanna finish the personal story (up to 66 on it), get some decent level 80 gear and start wvwing. Haven't doing much since the last stress test, so it should be pretty fun.

zlatko

Banned
Scepter is pretty decent in pve due to enemies not dodging much lol.

Probably the only way to get gold on world bosses without dieing a lot.

I still find gsword to be my go to pve weapon though.

It's just so easy to avoid all damage when you are with a scepter lol. I was able to beat a level 19 story quest without any deaths at level 15 thanks to scepter kiting. :p

Wow, Mesmers are pretty fun in PvP. It seems like the only thing illusiuons are good for is distractions and shattering while the phantasms can actually do some good damage on their own.

demonkaze

So back on Saturday I found out that my email address was changed and I no longer have access to my account. I sent a message on their support giving them all my details including my serial number and account name.

It's now Tuesday and I still haven't heard back from them, I'm starting to get a bit pissed now because I pre-purchased this when it was first possible and I can't play it, any ideas as to what I can do?

BrettWeir

Someone please help me understand set bonuses. So I've bought 4 "Berzerker's" armor pieces, 6 slot bonuses. I'm only receiving the 1st bonus for the set. How the hell does it work? Oh, all the items are the ones that have precision, so its not "one w precision, one w power, one w healing. I want those bonuses QQ.

Someone please help me understand set bonuses. So I've bought 4 "Berzerker's" armor pieces, 6 slot bonuses. I'm only receiving the 1st bonus for the set. How the hell does it work? Oh, all the items are the ones that have precision, so its not "one w precision, one w power, one w healing. I want those bonuses QQ.

Does the other item have the same named rune in place?

eek5

"sets" are basically rune bonuses

So for exmaple Major Rune of the Rata Sum has:
(1) + 15 precision
(2) +10% poison duration
(3) +35 precision
(4) +15% weakness duration

If you have one piece of equipment socketed with that rune you get #1 bonus. If you're wearing two pieces with the rune in it you get #1 and #2, etc.

Piecake

Love greatsword but scepter is not for me. The torch offhand skills are great. Maybe I'll try Sword/Torch and Greatsword.

I have to say, Illusionary Leap confuses me. There's so much potential with the swap I'm sure I'm not using it right.

Ill probably try out greatsword again. What pissed me off was that the GS is kinda useless until you get your 5th ability. Your basic attack does piddly damage if the dude is right in your grill. Also, i was using the crappy ground targeting controller set up when i tried it out, and having that 3rd ability as a GT really pissed me off. Should be better now

As for illusionary leap, I think its simply to confuse people and enemies. Its pretty cool when it works. Problem is, half the time the ability simply doesnt work - meaning no clone pops out. The sword's two ability is just crazy good though

Ferrio

Banned
So like to express my opinions on the shitastic nature of most thief weapons. I think it's pretty bad that they get the least selection of weapons in game, but even worse that most of the weapons we even have access too seem pretty crappy.

-Dagger/Dagger.
By far the best weapon combo in any situation, be it PvE or PvP, single target or multi. You have an AOE attack+bleed, single target damage that gap closes, the only stealth weapon move thieves have (which is stupid) which reduces defense, and a ranged cripple that hits multiple targets. It does it all, and doesn't really have a weak point. I'm not saying it's OP or anything... but seeing how they phoned it in for the other weapons... it sure looks that way.

-Pistol/Dagger.
This is where stuff starts to break down into bad design. Having your character split between melee and range really doesn't make sense. In Pve it's not bad, works well enough.. monsters are stupid but you don't have any AoE unlike daggers. In PvP it doesn't make any sense. First of all your three ranged attacks are a small hit that bleeds, a defense shred, and the ranged knife move that cripples. None of these dish out any good damage... which the pistol lacks. Now you have two melee moves, one that teleports you out of melee range if it hits... and your dagger stealth move. Both are pretty much disengage moves.... so there's overlap. Also your stealth move shreds armor... which your pistol move already does... more overlap. So the idea I guess behind this all was that you'd fire from range... when they get into melee you hit them with your stealth move and pop them with your stealth attack... then hop away with your disengage. The problem none of this really does any damage... and even once you get outside melee range... you're still doing no damage with your pistol. I think the design flaw is that any other class when they want to switch from melee to range... they weapon swap. But since thief doesn't really gain anything from weapon swap... they tried to combine it into one weapon set..... and it just doesn't gel well.

-Sword/Whatever
Sword is okay, but I really don't see why you'd want to bring it out instead of daggers. It has it's teleport move.. but that just seems really gimmicky, cumbersome, and really really situational. Not to mention there's already a utility skill that does this... so there's more overlap (quite a bit of that in thief skills) It has an evade move... but dagger has two of those already (though you don't really evade.. but you position change enough you might as well be). It also has thief's only stun move.. but again I feel like it doesn't put out near as much damage as daggers do. And also, it's all single target unlike daggers.

-Shortbow
Great for WvW and boss fights... everything else eh. It's the only other weapon that differentiates itself away from daggers enough that it makes sense to use in situations.

One last complaint: Stealth.

The thief has a whole trait line devoted to this... but only one weapon allow them this. Offhand dagger. Seems like a big oversight.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So I found a dark grey, almost black rare dye. Is that stuff worth anything?
I heard that the 100% black dyes were mad popular or something.

Necro question!

What does the trait "Wells use ground targeting" do? I know what it SAYS it should do, but I haven't noticed any difference when using it.

Don't know if you got your answer yet but it allows you to place wells anywhere you want, like Marks on the staff. IMO this trait is essential if you plan to do a Wells build

Not every champion is tied to a DE. Had a couple just camping out in front of skill challenges being assholes

I've had a couple camping treasure chests too. This morning, actually, I had an ettin champion doing that. Didn't have a lot of time to actually defeat him and needed to leave soon, but I wanted that chest. So I aggroed him away from the chest, crippled him, then used the greatsword #5 warrior skill (run really fast) to dash to the chest and open it before he had a chance to make it over and interrupt me. Got the stuff a second before getting smashed and running away.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So like to express my opinions on the shitastic nature of most thief weapons. I think it's pretty bad that they get the least selection of weapons in game, but even worse that most of the weapons we even have access too seem pretty crappy.

-Dagger/Dagger.
By far the best weapon combo in any situation, be it PvE or PvP, single target or multi. You have an AOE attack+bleed, single target damage that gap closes, the only stealth weapon move thieves have (which is stupid) which reduces defense, and a ranged cripple that hits multiple targets. It does it all, and doesn't really have a weak point. I'm not saying it's OP or anything... but seeing how they phoned it in for the other weapons... it sure looks that way.

-Pistol/Dagger.
This is where stuff starts to break down into bad design. Having your character split between melee and range really doesn't make sense. In Pve it's not bad, works well enough.. monsters are stupid but you don't have any AoE unlike daggers. In PvP it doesn't make any sense. First of all your three ranged attacks are a small hit that bleeds, a defense shred, and the ranged knife move that cripples. None of these dish out any good damage... which the pistol lacks. Now you have two melee moves, one that teleports you out of melee range if it hits... and your dagger stealth move. Both are pretty much disengage moves.... so there's overlap. Also your stealth move shreds armor... which your pistol move already does... more overlap. So the idea I guess behind this all was that you'd fire from range... when they get into melee you hit them with your stealth move and pop them with your stealth attack... then hop away with your disengage. The problem none of this really does any damage... and even once you get outside melee range... you're still doing no damage with your pistol. I think the design flaw is that any other class when they want to switch from melee to range... they weapon swap. But since thief doesn't really gain anything from weapon swap... they tried to combine it into one weapon set..... and it just doesn't gel well.

-Sword/Whatever
Sword is okay, but I really don't see why you'd want to bring it out instead of daggers. It has it's teleport move.. but that just seems really gimmicky, cumbersome, and really really situational. Not to mention there's already a utility skill that does this... so there's more overlap (quite a bit of that in thief skills) It has an evade move... but dagger has two of those already (though you don't really evade.. but you position change enough you might as well be). It also has thief's only stun move.. but again I feel like it doesn't put out near as much damage as daggers do. And also, it's all single target unlike daggers.

-Shortbow
Great for WvW and boss fights... everything else eh. It's the only other weapon that differentiates itself away from daggers enough that it makes sense to use in situations.

One last complaint: Stealth.

The thief has a whole trait line devoted to this... but only one weapon allow them this. Offhand dagger. Seems like a big oversight.

For Backstab burst Dagger/Pistol is the best.

BrettWeir

Ah...so the name and stats on the armor initially don't matter? So I could have 1 healing bonus piece, one precision piece, and one power piece, and as long as I put the same rune in all of them, the bonuses unlock?

Thanks guys

Levyne

Banned
I've had a couple camping treasure chests too. This morning, actually, I had an ettin champion doing that. Didn't have a lot of time to actually defeat him and needed to leave soon, but I wanted that chest. So I aggroed him away from the chest, crippled him, then used the greatsword #5 warrior skill (run really fast) to dash to the chest and open it before he had a chance to make it over and interrupt me. Got the stuff a second before getting smashed and running away.

I distract them with my pet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom