• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
How do you even backstab them with that? You have no stealth.

5, 2 puts you in stealth, other utility skills put you in stealth. You also have a good gap closer with damage and your 4 is an interrupt. The skillset for Dagger/pistol is also better.

Thiefs are deadly because they have killer combo set ups.

If we get banned from GAF do we get kicked from the guild? :O

LOL. no.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't find it that hard outside of that damn lovers boss. Brute forcing it works, but yeah, I would say your group was inexperienced in the game in general. If you can't reliably stay alive for the majority of the dungeon, you guys are doing something terribly wrong.

We wiped our first time through, but I went again with sme others, andit worked like clockwork. We still had a tough time, but we never had to resort to zerging. It comes down to understanding the game, and frankly not playing it like WoW.

It wasn't that we were wiping every encounter (although someone going down in a big fight wasn't rare), it was more that the boss fights just turned into zerg encounters.

Also, the rangers in that dungeon are insanely powerful. They have that arrow shot move which hits for like 800-1000 x 3 in one shot. They also have spike trap, which while relatively easy to avoid, and completely destroy your party. Compared to every other mob in the dungeon, they just have insane damage output.

The lovers definitely took the most time, but I think the king was the hardest. Dude can murder range classes in one shot, and he also does a super powerful AE at close range.

I've been pretty good at this game in the overall world at learning how mobs work and fighting them smartly. I just couldn't figure out any of the bosses. It seemed like most of them had some standard and generally unavoidable ranged attack that did just insane damage.

Ferrio

Banned
5, 2 puts you in stealth, other utility skills put you in stealth. You also have a good gap closer with damage and your 4 is an interrupt. The skillset for Dagger/pistol is also better.

Thiefs are deadly because they have killer combo set ups..

5? That's the offhand dagger... not pistol. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Nevasleep

So back on Saturday I found out that my email address was changed and I no longer have access to my account. I sent a message on their support giving them all my details including my serial number and account name.

It's now Tuesday and I still haven't heard back from them, I'm starting to get a bit pissed now because I pre-purchased this when it was first possible and I can't play it, any ideas as to what I can do?

Is there a live chat? That was far more helpful when I had issues with GW1.

So like to express my opinions on the shitastic nature of most thief weapons. I think it's pretty bad that they get the least selection of weapons in game, but even worse that most of the weapons we even have access too seem pretty crappy.

-Dagger/Dagger.
By far the best weapon combo in any situation, be it PvE or PvP, single target or multi. You have an AOE attack+bleed, single target damage that gap closes, the only stealth weapon move thieves have (which is stupid) which reduces defense, and a ranged cripple that hits multiple targets. It does it all, and doesn't really have a weak point. I'm not saying it's OP or anything... but seeing how they phoned it in for the other weapons... it sure looks that way.

-Pistol/Dagger.
This is where stuff starts to break down into bad design. Having your character split between melee and range really doesn't make sense. In Pve it's not bad, works well enough.. monsters are stupid but you don't have any AoE unlike daggers. In PvP it doesn't make any sense. First of all your three ranged attacks are a small hit that bleeds, a defense shred, and the ranged knife move that cripples. None of these dish out any good damage... which the pistol lacks. Now you have two melee moves, one that teleports you out of melee range if it hits... and your dagger stealth move. Both are pretty much disengage moves.... so there's overlap. Also your stealth move shreds armor... which your pistol move already does... more overlap. So the idea I guess behind this all was that you'd fire from range... when they get into melee you hit them with your stealth move and pop them with your stealth attack... then hop away with your disengage. The problem none of this really does any damage... and even once you get outside melee range... you're still doing no damage with your pistol. I think the design flaw is that any other class when they want to switch from melee to range... they weapon swap. But since thief doesn't really gain anything from weapon swap... they tried to combine it into one weapon set..... and it just doesn't gel well.

-Sword/Whatever
Sword is okay, but I really don't see why you'd want to bring it out instead of daggers. It has it's teleport move.. but that just seems really gimmicky, cumbersome, and really really situational. Not to mention there's already a utility skill that does this... so there's more overlap (quite a bit of that in thief skills) It has an evade move... but dagger has two of those already (though you don't really evade.. but you position change enough you might as well be). It also has thief's only stun move.. but again I feel like it doesn't put out near as much damage as daggers do. And also, it's all single target unlike daggers.

-Shortbow
Great for WvW and boss fights... everything else eh. It's the only other weapon that differentiates itself away from daggers enough that it makes sense to use in situations.

One last complaint: Stealth.

The thief has a whole trait line devoted to this... but only one weapon allow them this. Offhand dagger. Seems like a big oversight.

Dagger/Dagger really does outshine the other options. I find the sword extremely lacking for the thief. Half the time the evade move doesn't work out because of delay and the misleading animation. 3 skill does crazy bleed damage. It's enough that you can do it 3-4 times and just leave enemies alone as they die from the bleed.

Pistol/Dagger is godlike in PvP. Gives you an almost free stealth skill that also reduces defense. Spam stealth and stealth attack for good damage and bleed while crippling them if they try to run. 3 I only use as a disengage. Otherwise I am constantly stealthing and shooting people in the back. I also run with the Ambush trap and Thieves Guild elite, so if you don't have enough fire power summon your 3 thieves (up to 5 if you play your cards right), and the fight is pretty much won. Take blinding powder and shadow refuge if you want to play as a ninja medic or just for more escapes.

Prepare to have people call you a scrub for playing this way.

Sword/Whatever isn't worth it. The daze skill isn't that great, it will only lead to you taking lots of damage while stationary in PvE, and I'm not interested in finding out how useless it is in PvP. Evade skill with Sword/Dagger isn't that great either. When you get into a large fight evasion is pretty much meaningless since you can't tell with enough clarity who's doing what.

Bow is alright, the cripple is pretty bad compared to the offhand dagger, the 2 skill should detonate automatically imo. 4 is meh, and 5 is alright for escapes and maybe climbing some areas.

Stealth = this is why people will call you a scrub in PvP.

5? That's the offhand dagger... not pistol. I have no idea what you're talking about.

He's talking about the smoke field. Put down the smoke field and use Heartseeker while in it to disperse it and give you stealth.

My group tried this several times but eventually, before we got them out, they would run back and would ignore our attacks until they were back in their starting positions. It was near impossible to do it. (this was again last night when me and my gf who did the dungeon once before went with 3 people who hadn't done it before).

So what did we do? Keep them away from each other. 3 people went for Ralena while me and someone else went for Vassar. Eventually we got him far enough away and it was more of a case of dodging, speed boosting and throwing boulders (the speed boost help get the boulder without getting hit). Also when downed, my elementilist mist form helped distract Vassar before he went back to Ralena.

We still died a lot and needed to go back to the waypoint but we were able to keep them mostly apart after that. Tough fight and I would defo say the trash needs tuned as outside of the lovers, the trash are more tough than the bosses.

I did it for our group as a necro let them hit you and back up until you see one of them cross the threshold of the corridor, then whoever is standing on the plate needs to move immediately. If you time it right, you'll trap only 1 inside. Took us a couple of tries but once separated they're simple. One thing to look out for with Vassar is he'll spawn illusionary mages and it maybe possible that itll spawn on top of the switch so try to use boulders to knock him away from the bottom left corner

LeCapitan

Neo Member
-Pistol/Dagger.

While I agree with most of this, pistol/dagger is my favorite combo right now (at least for solo or non-zerg PvE). When you attack from stealth, your pistol fires of 5 really quick shots for a large amount of damage. It seems to do damage that rivals the pistol/pistol unload and you get to pop in and out of combat with a much more active role.

Dagger/pistol is completely worthless in my opinion :\

eek5

mFGli.png

got a bunch of dyes for cheap thanks to TP being up. :D

Ferrio

Banned
Pistol/Dagger is godlike in PvP. Gives you an almost free stealth skill that also reduces defense. Spam stealth and stealth attack for good damage and bleed while crippling them if they try to run. 3 I only use as a disengage. Otherwise I am constantly stealthing and shooting people in the back. I also run with the Ambush trap and Thieves Guild elite, so if you don't have enough fire power summon your 3 thieves (up to 5 if you play your cards right), and the fight is pretty much won. Take blinding powder and shadow refuge if you want to play as a ninja medic or just for more escapes.

But again you can do the same with dagger/dagger. Constant stealth and attacking. Not to mention the burst is probably higher on dagger/dagger (isn't reliant on bleeds).

Also I think the bow 2 does detonate automatically, just has less spread. I like the manual detonation... you can detonate it after different times to get bigger spreads etc.

He's talking about the smoke field. Put down the smoke field and use Heartseeker while in it to disperse it and give you stealth.

Combo field, gotcha.. didn't think of that. That's actually a neat idea. Combo field ->stealth from heartseeker then backstab. Takes a lot more intiative though.

Azzurri

Anyone have a good Dual Dagger ELE build? I haven't really played around with anything, only lvl 31, but have like 10 points in FIre.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
TP is running nice and fast. Made about 2g, and logged off. When I get back from work today, I'll buy my grandmaster manual, and I'll be up for TA.

-Sword/Whatever
And also, it's all single target unlike daggers.

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but I believe that this is incorrect. When facing a group of mobs, your main hand sword auto-attack will strike multiple mobs at once. Your main hand dagger auto-attack, however, will only strike one mob at once.

Ferrio

Banned
Perhaps I misunderstand you, but I believe that this is incorrect. When facing a group of mobs, your main hand sword auto-attack will strike multiple mobs at once. Your main hand dagger auto-attack, however, will only strike one mob at once.

Doubt it covers as much area as dagger/dagger 3. Guess I didn't consider bigger weapon arcs as aoe,

Ghost23

I usually play mage in RPG's. How does the elementalist compare to a mage in WoW? For GW2, I'm actually considering a guardian or warrior. What is the difference between the two, and how is the warrior class different from other warrior classes in other games?

I find it funny that you guys find sword/pistol useless.

Pistol Whip, at least, is insanely ridiculous in PvP, especially with haste. SO MUCH DAMAGE. And the constant stunning basically makes it impossible to use any attacks that have a lengthy animation (which is pretty much all a warrior has - I HATE pistol whip users).

And the 2 ability is excellent for escape and misdirection. It pretty much remembers your last position forever, so as soon as things go south you can just hit 2 and return to your initiation point, stealth, and get away scot-free. I managed to keep half a team chasing me for a good 3 minutes just abusing the hell out of this ability and stealthy stealing.

I usually play mage in RPG's. How does the elementalist compare to a mage in WoW? For GW2, I'm actually considering a guardian or warrior. What is the difference between the two, and how is the warrior class different from other warrior classes in other games?
Guardians are more about tanking everything and area denial, with abilities that block movement and projectile attacks (note: this is from observation, I don't have a guardian of my own) and plenty of damage mitigation abilities. Warriors are all about sustained damage mixed with some crowd control abilities. They're considerably squishier than guardians unless specced defensively.

Compared to other games, warriors in Guild Wars 2 are considerably more versatile. In fact, they're the only warrior class I've played that have solid ranged options in the form of the longbow and rifle.

Never played WoW, so I'll let someone else touch that one.

But again you can do the same with dagger/dagger. Constant stealth and attacking. Not to mention the burst is probably higher on dagger/dagger (isn't reliant on bleeds).

Combo field, gotcha.. didn't think of that. That's actually a neat idea. Combo field ->stealth from heartseeker then backstab. Takes a lot more intiative though.

The build I use recovers a lot of initiative off of going into stealth. I could use dagger but I like having the ranged option up so it doesn't really matter where I am.

I could use dagger/dagger as a secondary and try that out.

I'm just not a fan of all the thieves who just spam 2 all day. Although I know you are talking about the stealth 1 skill for dagger.

I just think it's funny when you see the thieves that spam 2 all day until they run out of initiative.

Pistol Whip, at least, is insanely ridiculous in PvP, especially with haste. SO MUCH DAMAGE. And the constant stunning basically makes it impossible to use any attacks that have a lengthy animation (which is pretty much all a warrior has - I HATE pistol whip users).

And the 2 ability is excellent for escape and misdirection. It pretty much remembers your last position forever, so as soon as things go south you can just hit 2 and return to your initiation point, stealth, and get away scot-free. I managed to keep half a team chasing me for a good 3 minutes just abusing the hell out of this ability and stealthy stealing.

Using haste with the stun skill is something I didn't consider. Something to think about I guess.

I get crushed regularly by people with superior builds so it's not a surprise to me that I wouldn't think of this.

Ferrio

Banned
The build I use recovers a lot of initiative off of going into stealth. I could use dagger but I like having the ranged option up so it doesn't really matter where I am.

I could use dagger/dagger as a secondary and try that out.

I'm just not a fan of all the thieves who just spam 2 all day. Although I know you are talking about the stealth 1 skill for dagger.

I just think it's funny when you see the thieves that spam 2 all day until they run out of initiative.

Ya.. I'm mostly 5->1, through in whatever between until stealth immunity is up. My main goal will be getting the 100% crit chance from stealth trait... then building my character up with mainly power/crit damage gear. Shouldn't need precision, and the trait lines I'm in give me toughness/health/healing.

Also lot of the traits are pretty meh. The "5% chance for pistol shots to bounce on crit" was pretty lol worthy for being a tier 3 trait.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Create a character, do the intro, and go into the PvP area . Practise there. Elementalist is the best mage archetype class I've played in recent memory. Very versatile. Warrior, much in the same way, is much more versatile than you'd expect. He's good at range, melee and support, depending on what weapons you bring with you.

Give them all a go, every class plays very differently depending on what weapons and roles you choose for yourself.

So my Asura warrior has nifty new barbarian armor. Amusingly, despite being female, her right breast is exposed. Apparently Asura simply don't have any mammaries at all (as opposed to Charr, where they're just flat and hidden from sight).

See for yourself:

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

My man. ;)

Sword/pistol is a riot. I use sword/pistol and pistol/dagger and I couldn't possibly care less if it's in vogue or not. The number of options at my disposal at any given time is ridiculous.
Doubt it covers as much area as dagger/dagger 3. Guess I didn't consider bigger weapon arcs as aoe,
Well, it is AoE. And the 3rd hit of the autoattack hits hard, and cripples everything it hits.

Ghost23

Create a character, do the intro, and go into the PvP area . Practise there. Elementalist is the best mage archetype class I've played in recent memory. Very versatile. Warrior, much in the same way, is much more versatile than you'd expect. He's good at range, melee and support, depending on what weapons you bring with you.

Give them all a go, every class plays very differently depending on what weapons and roles you choose for yourself.

Yea I'll probably make both a guardian and elementalist since they are significantly different. Now about races...is their consensus on which race has the best storyline? I've heard good things about the Asura, but I've never been a fan of small races.

Complistic

Yea I'll probably make both a guardian and elementalist since they are significantly different. Now about races...is their consensus on which race has the best storyline? I've heard good things about the Asura, but I've never been a fan of small races.

Charr blood legion is suppose to be good. I really like the sylvari ones as well.

So like to express my opinions on the shitastic nature of most thief weapons. I think it's pretty bad that they get the least selection of weapons in game, but even worse that most of the weapons we even have access too seem pretty crappy.

-Dagger/Dagger.
By far the best weapon combo in any situation, be it PvE or PvP, single target or multi. You have an AOE attack+bleed, single target damage that gap closes, the only stealth weapon move thieves have (which is stupid) which reduces defense, and a ranged cripple that hits multiple targets. It does it all, and doesn't really have a weak point. I'm not saying it's OP or anything... but seeing how they phoned it in for the other weapons... it sure looks that way.

-Pistol/Dagger.
This is where stuff starts to break down into bad design. Having your character split between melee and range really doesn't make sense. In Pve it's not bad, works well enough.. monsters are stupid but you don't have any AoE unlike daggers. In PvP it doesn't make any sense. First of all your three ranged attacks are a small hit that bleeds, a defense shred, and the ranged knife move that cripples. None of these dish out any good damage... which the pistol lacks. Now you have two melee moves, one that teleports you out of melee range if it hits... and your dagger stealth move. Both are pretty much disengage moves.... so there's overlap. Also your stealth move shreds armor... which your pistol move already does... more overlap. So the idea I guess behind this all was that you'd fire from range... when they get into melee you hit them with your stealth move and pop them with your stealth attack... then hop away with your disengage. The problem none of this really does any damage... and even once you get outside melee range... you're still doing no damage with your pistol. I think the design flaw is that any other class when they want to switch from melee to range... they weapon swap. But since thief doesn't really gain anything from weapon swap... they tried to combine it into one weapon set..... and it just doesn't gel well.

-Sword/Whatever
Sword is okay, but I really don't see why you'd want to bring it out instead of daggers. It has it's teleport move.. but that just seems really gimmicky, cumbersome, and really really situational. Not to mention there's already a utility skill that does this... so there's more overlap (quite a bit of that in thief skills) It has an evade move... but dagger has two of those already (though you don't really evade.. but you position change enough you might as well be). It also has thief's only stun move.. but again I feel like it doesn't put out near as much damage as daggers do. And also, it's all single target unlike daggers.

-Shortbow
Great for WvW and boss fights... everything else eh. It's the only other weapon that differentiates itself away from daggers enough that it makes sense to use in situations.

One last complaint: Stealth.

The thief has a whole trait line devoted to this... but only one weapon allow them this. Offhand dagger. Seems like a big oversight.

I don't agree with this at all. Everyone has pretty much already chimed in with reasons why but I find every thief weapon combination viable, depending on how you build/play your character. I think Dual Pistols may be the weakest combination but the #3 attack can dish out some pretty high ranged damage and it can be useful for dungeon/area bosses and WvWvW.

Personally, I still prefer dual daggers or dagger/pistol. Stealthing into a backstab (especially if you activate the power signet just before) is my favorite thing to do. Also, there are tons of traits, combos, and abilities that can put you into stealth. You don't need the off hand dagger.

Ferrio

Banned
We need a list of all the jumping puzzles.

So far Metrica was the best and last one I've done... and that was around lvl 15.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man, I never remember you can activate signets. Shadows is an extra AoE blind in battle; ALWAYS forget about it.

I am curious about this as well. Past your starting gears, do you have any options to change the appearance?
Hoo boy, are you in for a treat.
1. You can change the colors of everything you get
2. You can do so at any time, in real-time, from the hero screen
3. Any new armor you get automatically takes on the color scheme of the piece it's replacing

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I am curious about this as well. Past your starting gears, do you have any options to change the appearance?

The dye you choose is applied to all new gear you put on, and you can change it any time by hitting the dye dropper icon above your helm in your hero panel.

Ferrio

Banned
Does't blind go away as soon as they miss the first hit? If that's the case it doesn't seem to be that strong.

Ya blind is one hit only if I recall.

Personally, I still prefer dual daggers or dagger/pistol. Stealthing into a backstab (especially if you activate the power signet just before) is my favorite thing to do. Also, there are tons of traits, combos, and abilities that can put you into stealth. You don't need the off hand dagger.

I have two problems with this.

1. When you activate a signet in stealth it causes you to autoattack (least it does to me). Which makes that whole setup sorta cumbersome.
2. You lose your signet's bonus when it's on cooldown... which always makes me not want to pop signets. So curious what the damage gain/loss is using a signet on a backstab.

pablito

you can't change the color of weapons...or can you?

just realized how boring my weapons look compared to my armor somtimes. but then again i have some boring looking weapons lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does't blind go away as soon as they miss the first hit? If that's the case it doesn't seem to be that strong.
*blink* One hit each from six enemies adds up pretty quick. And it's blind foes near your target, which means you could use it either defensively or supportively if someone else is in melee and you're at range.

We need a list of all the jumping puzzles.

So far Metrica was the best and last one I've done... and that was around lvl 15.

Maybe someone could compile a list and sticky it on the GAF guild site since this thread moves pretty fast?

I finished the three in Lion's Arch, the one in Queensdale, and the one in Kessex Hills last night. I think the WvWvW jumping puzzle was the first one I ever did. So much fun!

I think the pirate cave one with the captain's ghost in Lion's Arch is my favorite so far.

Man, I never remember you can activate signets. Shadows is an extra AoE blind in battle; ALWAYS forget about it.

Hoo boy, are you in for a treat.
1. You can change the colors of everything you get
2. You can do so at any time, in real-time, from the hero screen
3. Any new armor you get automatically takes on the color scheme of the piece it's replacing

The dye system is fucking glorious. I can't play another MMO now without wanting it to have the same feature.

arimanius

As a warrior I never activate my signets. With the Deep Strike talent giving crit % based on non active signets I'm up to 97% crit chance. Sooo good with Hundred Blades.

I'm in the process of changing my precision equipment to power to find a nice balance.

broz0rs

Do you guys purchase gears using karma while levelling?

Or is it better to just save all the karma points until lv. 80?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Maybe someone could compile a list and sticky it on the GAF guild site since this thread moves pretty fast?

I finished the three in Lion's Arch, the one in Queensdale, and the one in Kessex Hills last night. I think the WvWvW jumping puzzle was the first one I ever did. So much fun!
what.

zulfate

I have 80 hours and only level 50 ehat am i doing wrong guys....i still love this game to death but i am starting to lose some momentum i don't feel like leveling flows right. Everyone is going to tell me to craft but why should it be mandatory.

thetrin

Do you guys purchase gears using karma while levelling?

Or is it better to just save all the karma points until lv. 80?

Considering you get karma ALL THE TIME from events, you can't paint yourself into a corner. I do a lot of events, so I have no qualms about buying karma gear from hearts, but it's up to you.

Imo, it makes leveling smoother if you buy the gear, but apparently Tre disagrees with me.

I have 80 hours and only level 50 ehat am i doing wrong guys....i still love this game to death but i am starting to lose some momentum i don't feel like leveling flows right. Everyone is going to tell me to craft but why should it be mandatory.

If you sit down for an evening sesson of GW2, how many levels are you getting per session? Let's say you play for 6 hours. If you're doing events often, and exploring a lot, you should be getting around 5-6 levels per session, even without crafting.

Yep, one hit only. Some signets are just not worth activating. The passive ends up being more powerful than the active in the long run.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ahh can't really tell the tone of this post. I have like over 100 hours and I'm level 37 (with a level 8 on the side).

broz0rs

I would if you need to replace something like an accessory 20 levels lower than yours.

I was planning to save them, but this is the quandary I have because of TP constantly being down.

Thanks for the responses. I think If I'm way behind in gear, I'll start dipping in to my Karma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom