• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
It's true though, the system isn't as responsive as something like WoW. It's not bad by any means though.

I played WoW almost entirely for the PvP for almost the entirety of WoW's current life (sans the last like 6 months). I never touched the PvE unless I had to. The word that best described WoW's gameplay for me was snappy. It was fast and fluid. From the many hours I put into GW2 already, I wouldn't describe it was snappy, but it was definitely fluid. It felt good, but it was no WoW in that regard.

PewPewK

I'm not the biggest fan of the floaty feel in GW2, but honestly, it's something you get used to after an hour or so of playing.

I only played WvW for 30 minutes, in those minutes I didn't really get a shit.

*spawn*

*go outside*

See a bunch of enemy players coming towards me/us

*retreat*

5 players are chasing me

*dead*

*respawn*

And repeat....

I think the game controls just fine. I like it. I also think it probably controls the way ArenaNet wanted it to control. It is not like they made a mistake or something.

Too many people have their own *perfect* ideas of how a game should be/control.

Jira

I only played WvW for 30 minutes, in those minutes I didn't really get a shit.

*spawn*

*go outside*

See a bunch of enemy players coming towards me/us

*retreat*

5 players are chasing me

*dead*

*respawn*

And repeat....

Outside of Sentries, roaming around in WvW alone isn't exactly advisable. Try to roam with at least a couple people.

Ardvent

I think it is a combination of the camera being kind of dumb (I'd really like to hear their reasoning for not making it fixed point) and the way the skill system is designed compared to most MMOs. There's very few instant skills in this game; even the vast majority of stuff that does not have a cast bar has an activation time. When you get to stuff that is properly instant like shouts, the difference is really obvious. Other MMOs have trained people to categorize things without cast bars as instant and it leaves an expectation of how a button should respond.

I think it's mainly because of how the actions work in Guild Wars. They don't go off until the animation completes. It takes some getting used to, but then you realize that the damage from your spear throw shouldn't hurt someone until the spear hits them, not right after you press the key.

Stahsky

I think the game controls just fine. I like it. I also think it probably controls the way ArenaNet wanted it to control. It is not like they made a mistake or something.

Too many people have their own *perfect* ideas of how a game should be/control.

It's just like DAOC in that regards. Pick your fights and be extremely aware of your surroundings

"I've never understood this take. The game is more responsive than other MMOs."

Hmmmmm, not really. Responsive is definitely not a word I'd use to describe it. Not quite as bad as WAR in this regard, but pretty close.

Technically not true: Skills that are meant to be instant are truly instant.
Examples: Dodging and Mesmer Feedback Bubble.
Killing players and mobs at high levels means dodging 'wound-up' skills.
Notably, most skills in the game have 'wind-ups' that can be noticed and dodged.
Otherwise, you'll find yourself not lasting long at high-level play.

Gone are the days of having a skillbar filled with instant and absolute hits.
Obsolete are the MMOs that rely on these old mechanics.

Heavy emphasis on dodging and noticing makes Guild Wars 2 stand out.
On that point, most of GW2's skills have to have slight delays.
Most skills being instant would otherwise render dodging into a niche ability.
Each time I hear about "unresponsiveness" in GW2, I get sad.

Proven

If bronies are making guilds I'm making a K-On!! guild.

The camera feels sluggish even if you speed it up. Maybe it's vsync.

I could get in on that.

But then I couldn't be friends with you two, and GAF Guild is all about making friends.

I mean, I know you're not bronies, but still.

the Ranger longbow isn't used much either though

admittedly, I haven't tried a power build, but I just checked the Mesmer traits again and they don't synergize very well, it seems to me. Neither Domination nor Dueling really have any traits that improve your direct damage, and Dueling seems to push the "clones apply bleeding" build.

I'm using greatsword myself, but if I want to do damage I switch to sword+pistol

*shrug* It was nerfed to hell. The Greatsword primarily synergized with the Dueling line, where you got both crit percentage and damage, and could constantly produce clones at range due to your 2 skill and your dodge button. If they chased you, it automatically put the other clones at max range to do max damage. If they chased down the clones one by one, you'd be doing max damage to them. Then you'd swap to sword/pistol or scepter (remember, back then it both summoned clones and each auto-attack from you and your clones stacked confusion) for more close range kiting.

Then a bunch of things got nerfed, Sword kept most of it's damage output and utility due to Blurred Frenzy and the fact that melee weapons in general have to be stronger than ranged weapons. Staff was rebalanced a little bit and that was all it took for it to be seen as viable, and Scepter became absolute shit. Greatsword has been in this weird limbo where every BWE and Stress Test it's had some stuff tweaked, but in my opinion it's getting back to that sniper weapon set.

Also consider much of the metagame right now is burst damage, which a lot of melee weapons excel at over ranged weapons, and burst condition damage, primarily bleeds. Gap Closers are so prevalent that powerful and consistent ranged damage, with heavy use of kiting, isn't seen as very viable outside of the Thief and its shortbow. Almost every class has a 1200 ranged weapon, and the Warrior's Rifle is designed to have high enough single target damage as to compare to melee weapons, but you don't hear about anyone using any of that often, outside of complaints in WvW.

Outside of Sentries, roaming around in WvW alone isn't exactly advisable. Try to roam with at least a couple people.

I wasn't alone, there were others with me but the enemy size was far larger and then it all happens so quick....You don't really know what to press/do

Also, I think I have a disadvantage playing on a 55" tv with a non gaming keyboard.....any suggestions how to make it easier for me? (this question is for everyone in this thread)

Neckbeard

Technically not true: Skills that are meant to be instant are truly instant.
Examples: Dodging and Mesmer Feedback Bubble.
Killing players and mobs at high levels means dodging 'wound-up' skills.
Notably, most skills in the game have 'wind-ups' that can be noticed and dodged.
Otherwise, you'll find yourself not lasting long at high-level play.

Gone are the days of having a skillbar filled with instant and absolute hits.
Obsolete are the MMOs that rely on these old mechanics.

Heavy emphasis on dodging and noticing makes Guild Wars 2 stand out.
On that point, most of GW2's skills have to have slight delays.
Most skills being instant would otherwise render dodging into a niche ability.
Each time I hear about "unresponsiveness" in GW2, I get sad.

Pretty bold statement there...

etiolate

Banned
"I've never understood this take. The game is more responsive than other MMOs."

Hmmmmm, not really. Responsive is definitely not a word I'd use to describe it. Not quite as bad as WAR in this regard, but pretty close.

It's extremely responsive. The combat wouldn't work in PVP if it wasn't. As soon as I hit an attack key, the animation begins.

Proven

In this thread: People who sound like they don't play enough action or "console" games.

I wasn't alone, there were others with me but the enemy size was far larger and then it all happens so quick....You don't really know what to press/do

Also, I think I have a disadvantage playing on a 55" tv with a non gaming keyboard.....any suggestions how to make it easier for me? (this question is for everyone in this thread)

Launch day, I'm taking a group into WvW. I've decided it. Get on mumble and we'll dominate on the borderlands for the first few weeks as we get our bearings, figure out tactics and synergies, and unlock weapon skills by zerging krait and spiders on our way to scratching up skill points.

After the first week is out, we'll be owning Stonemist, all day everyday.

"It's extremely responsive. The combat wouldn't work in PVP if it wasn't. As soon as I hit an attack key, the animation begins."

There's a pretty noticeable delay with the entire animation and the effects of the attack, though. Also, continuing to auto attack even after something has died feels pretty iffy. Lots of little things like that just don't make it feel very, as someone else put it, "snappy."

Retro

iOkjmqOnbQB6t.gif

Edit: God Damn phone.

Ryan_

Got a small technical question for you guys.

I played the stresstest on my desktop yesterday and it was okay performancewise
but still I'm not really fully pleased.

However, my desktop is 3 years old and it currently houses a Core2Duo E8500 and a GTX275.

Now, I have a laptop for school with a i5-2410M CPU and a GTX 520M GPU.

Would it be possible that it would turn out better looking and smoother on my laptop?

Funny thing, I didn't notice how wobbly the camera is in this until my friend pointed it out to me...

I guess I should be pleased that it doesn't bother me too much.

There's a pretty noticeable delay with the entire animation and the effects of the attack, though

Some things have travel time on top of the cast time. Like when that effigy in the Charr starting zone winds up the fireball then the fireball has to travel.

Again, this makes dodging feasible.

Also, continuing to auto attack even after something has died feels pretty iffy. Lots of little things like that just don't make it feel very, as someone else put it, "snappy."

Auto-attacks will hit whatever is directly in front of it not the target. It makes perfect sense to keep it switched on if you kill a target at range while still hitting a target directly in front of you. Since the game isn't smart enough to read your mind about what you want to do next better to play it safe and leave it turned on for at least a little while.

epmode

There's a pretty noticeable delay with the entire animation and the effects of the attack, though.
As someone else mentioned, delays are introduced into many attacks to allow for the dodge mechanic. Since I don't have all that much experience with the game, I can't make a final call on the mechanic, but it sounds very interesting.

You don't need a gaming keyboard. I've also played the earlier BWEs on a 57", it's not really that big a deal either way.

My main complaint on the big screen is that I can't see the arrow sometimes when I'm in the middle of the battle.

Its also hard to see what buttons you're pressing on the keyboard. It makes you kinda slow in pvp battles, for an example.

Emitan

"It's extremely responsive. The combat wouldn't work in PVP if it wasn't. As soon as I hit an attack key, the animation begins."

There's a pretty noticeable delay with the entire animation and the effects of the attack, though. Also, continuing to auto attack even after something has died feels pretty iffy. Lots of little things like that just don't make it feel very, as someone else put it, "snappy."
I'd assume that's because your auto attack can hit more than one target so you might attack an extra time so you continue to do damage. I haven't really noticed this happening so I don't have an opinion on it

I haven't used my Ubuntu partition in more than six months and now I'm surprised at how faster Ubuntu is compared to Windows. Does anyone know how playable Guild Wars 2 is in that OS?

In this thread: People who sound like they don't play enough action or "console" games.

Launch day, I'm taking a group into WvW. I've decided it. Get on mumble and we'll dominate on the borderlands for the first few weeks as we get our bearings, figure out tactics and synergies, and unlock weapon skills by zerging krait and spiders on our way to scratching up skill points.

After the first week is out, we'll be owning Stonemist, all day everyday.

I won't talk tho.... is it okay if I don't speak? :p

Jira

I haven't used my Ubuntu partition in more than six months and now I'm surprised at how faster Ubuntu is compared to Windows. Does anyone know how playable Guild Wars 2 is in that OS?

I've seen pretty nice performance from Linux considering it's not native.

Stahsky

Guys, I think Tekno fully understands how and why it works the way it does. That doesn't mean he has to like it.

etiolate

Banned
I think it is a combination of the camera being kind of dumb (I'd really like to hear their reasoning for not making it fixed point) and the way the skill system is designed compared to most MMOs. There's very few instant skills in this game; even the vast majority of stuff that does not have a cast bar has an activation time. When you get to stuff that is properly instant like shouts, the difference is really obvious. Other MMOs have trained people to categorize things without cast bars as instant and it leaves an expectation of how a button should respond.

Right.

My Mesmer Distortion shatter is instant. I hit it, I gain evade. My Blurred Frenzy has a teeny tiny windup, but is near instant for it is also an evade. My Mind Slash combo begins when I hit a key, but must follow through its swing. Spatial Surge feels slower because it's a channeled spell.

Sometimes in WOW your damage numbers show up at button press. This is because it's a pure dice roll. The animations themselves are pretty much like an action figure's karate chop. A bit short and stubby because their swing doesn't matter as much as the dice roll in the background.

The GW2 system has to go through a lot of other processes and checks before it even gets to the dice roll on how much damage you did. The hit/miss is based on positioning and counters. So moves have animations and hit points within the animations instead of the game having cast bars.

"Its also hard to see what buttons you're pressing on the keyboard. It makes you kinda slow in pvp battles, for an example."

You shouldn't have to look at your keyboard? I'm not sure I get what problem you're having here.

"Some things have travel time on top of the cast time. Like when that effigy in the Charr starting zone winds up the fireball then the fireball has to travel.

Again, this makes dodging feasible."

Not really, since very few abilities have any noticeable animation for you to reactively dodge, projectiles aside. Instead, players simply dodge to avoid damage in general. Thus, it doesn't really matter whether the abilities are instant or not, dodge is feasible either way.

BrettWeir

WTF is wrong with you people finding flaws in this perfect game?!

/looks at kegs of kool-aid.

In all honesty, I haven't had issues with camera or sluggish controls. It could be that I haven't played many games the last couple years outside of Guild Wars. I'll gladly keep that ignorance, as I find it fine to play.

Not really, since very few abilities have any noticeable animation for you to reactively dodge, projectiles aside. Instead, players simply dodge to avoid damage in general. Thus, it doesn't really matter whether the abilities are instant or not, dodge is feasible either way.

Maybe I've just been playing too much TERA but a lot of group bosses went from "wtf was that?" to soloable if I just concentrated on watching for the animation of the mob's massive attacks instead of bounding around like a hyperactive rabbit. Said Charr Effigy included.

Neckbeard

You can download it from your GW2 account management page and start preloading now. It's the same as if you had downloaded BWE1 and continually patched it.

Once I login it tells me I don't have access to an event. Is this as far as it will let me go?

Edit-- nevermind I see it downloads without logging in. I can't reed good.

Can I transfer this download from my laptop to my "real" computer?

"Its also hard to see what buttons you're pressing on the keyboard. It makes you kinda slow in pvp battles, for an example."

You shouldn't have to look at your keyboard? I'm not sure I get what problem you're having here.

It gets pretty difficult in a battle when I can't see my mouse cursor and I have troubles with pressing the right keys for the right skills....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom