• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

PewPewK

This game looks tempting. I'm not really a fan of MMOs but I really like big open-world fantasy games. Would this game still be fun if I decided to go do things by myself a lot of the time, or is it pretty much all group stuff?

Well because of the way groups are naturally formed, you can get by by yourself, but you won't really be by yourself.

So, for those of us who haven't been keeping up:

Head start starts this Saturday right?
And where can I download the client? All i have is the one used for beta.

Beta starts Friday technically sometime between 9 PM and midnight pacific. The client is the same as the beta client, just open it up and let it patch.

Einbroch

Banned
What's that? My boss is a huge GW fan and miraculously is letting me work extra tomorrow and Friday to have Monday and Tuesday off?

Huzzah!

Jira

This game looks tempting. I'm not really a fan of MMOs but I really like big open-world fantasy games. Would this game still be fun if I decided to go do things by myself a lot of the time, or is it pretty much all group stuff?

In the open world you'll be playing with others regardless of what you want or don't want. The good thing though is that no one is a hindrance and actually everyone is a sight for sore eyes since there's no kill stealing or loot ninjaing. When other people show up you'll be grateful when they save the day. The nice thing for you is you don't seem like you're weighted down with all of the crap MMOs have ingrained into people so going in fresh is going to be a godsend for you.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Any word on another Stress test before it launches, or are we finally finished with them?

Mothman91

So I went to gamestop and pre-purchased the game. They gave me a code for the 3 day early access, and it allowed me to download the client/game. They told me to pick up the game on the 28th. Is ArenaNet going to ask for a CD key or somewhat for legit confirmation that we actually payed for the game? I know that key I got in the receipt wasn't a CD key, so I was wondering how are they going to do it once the game fully comes out.

If you have a USB mic already just get a nice pair of headphones :) I purchased some sennheisers for $60 and use my laptops built in mic.

I have a pair of Sennhesiers and a USB mic too, but I really don't want to use push to talk.

Turtle Beach X12s are fantastic, my wife and I both use them. Can't be beat at that price. Overall very comfortable for long periods (I wear them all day sometimes) and great sound quality.

Cool, I'll probably pick those up then.

How do they connect? Do you have to unplug your speakers from your PC every time you use them? I do have a plug on my speakers I usually plug headphones into but not sure how that will work with the USB power and the mic plug. Are they separate cords?

Mumble has ducking built in where you can control how low your system volume goes down in relation to the people talking.

That's good to hear. I'll have to screw around with the settings.

Retro

Is ArenaNet going to ask for a CD key or somewhat for legit confirmation that we actually payed for the game? I know that key I got in the receipt wasn't a CD key, so I was wondering how are they going to do it once the game fully comes out.

When you go to pick up your physical copy, there will be a code inside that needs to be registered within a few days after launch. At least, that's how it works for the CE, I imagine it's the same for all of the boxed copies.

How do they connect? Do you have to unplug your speakers from your PC every time you use them? I do have a plug on my speakers I usually plug headphones into but not sure how that will work with the USB power and the mic plug. Are they separate cords?

Mine has a USB and audio / mic jacks. I use all three. Not sure if you can get away with just the USB one or not.

Yeah, but still things in perspective and all that. I know OT turn into hype propaganda threads almost instantly, but yeah...

I'm not saying "Guild Wars 2 is better than Madden", I'm saying it's at the top of Amazon's list for all videogames, and that is very cool.

Mothman91

When you go to pick up your physical copy, there will be a code inside that needs to be registered within a few days after launch. At least, that's how it works for the CE, I imagine it's the same for all of the boxed copies.

Yep, that's what I thought. Thanks!

In the open world you'll be playing with others regardless of what you want or don't want. The good thing though is that no one is a hindrance and actually everyone is a sight for sore eyes since there's no kill stealing or loot ninjaing. When other people show up you'll be grateful when they save the day. The nice thing for you is you don't seem like you're weighted down with all of the crap MMOs have ingrained into people so going in fresh is going to be a godsend for you.

I don't mind that it's an MMO (since there is no sub fee, which is great) and I don't have much experience with MMOs, so I don't really know what to expect when it comes to teaming up with others for quests or whatever. So basically, if I choose to wander around alone to quest or fight things, other people can join in to help me and I'll have pretty much the same outcome when it comes to XP, loot, etc.?

zlatko

Banned
So I went to gamestop and pre-purchased the game. They gave me a code for the 3 day early access, and it allowed me to download the client/game. They told me to pick up the game on the 28th. Is ArenaNet going to ask for a CD key or somewhat for legit confirmation that we actually payed for the game? I know that key I got in the receipt wasn't a CD key, so I was wondering how are they going to do it once the game fully comes out.

Did you only put down 5 bucks for to get the 3 day early access key?

If so I'm going to go hit that up Friday for sure to try the game out. Looking at my weekend I'll only get to play on Friday and Sunday evening, but oh well.

Mothman91

Did you only put down 5 bucks for to get the 3 day early access key?

If so I'm going to go hit that up Friday for sure to try the game out. Looking at my weekend I'll only get to play on Friday and Sunday evening, but oh well.

I fully pre purchased the game, so I get the 3 day early access. I think if you don't pre purchase, you get a 1 day early access.

Jira

I don't mind that it's an MMO (since there is no sub fee, which is great) and I don't have much experience with MMOs, so I don't really know what to expect when it comes to teaming up with others for quests or whatever. So basically, if I choose to wander around alone to quest or fight things, other people can join in to help me and I'll have pretty much the same outcome when it comes to XP, loot, etc.?

Yep yep, if the two of us are fighting the same mob we both get XP and both get our own loot. If a Dynamic Event pops up, everything we both do counts towards the contribution for everyone. There's absolutely no negatives for another person being around you or helping you.

zlatko

Banned
I fully pre purchased the game, so I get the 3 day early access. I think if you don't pre purchase, you get a 1 day early access.

Ah okay that's what I figured.

No try before I buy for me it seems. I'll have to wait till they start trying to give out friend passes maybe or some other means to try it like to level 10/20 or some shit. :p

Retro

So basically, if I choose to wander around alone to quest or fight things, other people can join in to help me and I'll have pretty much the same outcome when it comes to XP, loot, etc.?

Yes, other people being around only increases the difficulty of the event if they participate (people just standing around has no effect so you can't be griefed in that manner). You will get the same rewards regardless.

In fact, this is actually quite a break from most other MMOs. Having other people questing in the same area as you is counter-productive (and annoying), as they are killing your quest targets, picking up the items you are gathering, etc., which slows your progress down.

It's sadly ironic that in a genre built around playing with other people in a massive world, the mechanics are built so that you actually don't want to be around anyone else... unless you're playing GW2, that is.

Yep yep, if the two of us are fighting the same mob we both get XP and both get our own loot. If a Dynamic Event pops up, everything we both do counts towards the contribution for everyone. There's absolutely no negatives for another person being around you or helping you.

Yes, other people being around only increases the difficulty of the event if they participate (people just standing around has no effect so you can't be griefed in that manner). You will get the same rewards regardless.

In fact, this is actually quite a break from most other MMOs. Having other people questing in the same area as you is counter-productive (and annoying), as they are killing your quest targets, picking up the items you are gathering, etc., which slows your progress down.

It's sadly ironic that in a genre built around playing with other people in a massive world, the mechanics are built so that you actually don't want to be around anyone else... unless you're playing GW2, that is.

Great, that sounds like pretty much what I want. I think it could be really fun to join other people to do something, but I like that I have the option to explore by myself and not have other people ruin my enjoyment by stealing my kills or taking loot.
Thanks guys!

birdchili

never underestimate the ability of other people to be annoying.

just the difficulty-increasing mechanic on its own is ripe for abuse.

(it's a good system in-theory, but i'm skeptical that i'll always be glad to see another person whilst adventuring)

chiablo

Does anyone have a Logitech G-13? I need suggestions and ideas for button layouts or a profile. I loved using it when playing WoW, but that involved sitting in a fixed location and just mashing the skill buttons, GW2 requires too much movement for me to use it comfortably as I have it configured now.

How do you have yours set up?

SalomonA

GW2 tops almost every upcoming release "1-5" list in the biggest retailers here in Sweden.

It's really amazing how many copies this game has sold, and it's not even released yet.
Well you've done it ANet. Congratulations! :)

Proven

The range and the barrage.
If you like powerful ranged strikes, the three best weapons are the Warrior Rifle, Ranger Longbow, and Mesmer Greatsword.

Check out the Warrior's Longbow, it has similar range (I think the Ranger's Longbow is a bit further if traited though) and has a skill similar to barrage.
Both the Ranger and Warrior have traits to increase their Longbow range to I believe 1500 (25% more).

I've only heard complaining about the Warrior longbow, but I really liked the idea of using it for AoE.

The Ranger Longbow is primarily a single target attack with the barrage being a single AoE. The Warrior Rifle is similar, except with zero AoE. The Ranger Shortbow has one or two AoEs but it's meant to be a midrange weapon, much like the Ranger Axe. Including the burst skill, the Warrior Longbow has three or four AoE attacks.

Personally? I'm making a Warrior who uses a Longbow. But I have a tendency to love focused AoEs and speedy gameplay. Of all the setups, Ranger Shortbow is the speediest, but I like more of the other Warrior weapons in comparison to the other Ranger weapons.

Proven

good one, I laughed
I don't see them used as much anymore, but the popular Mesmer build back in BWE1 was high power, precision, and crit damage with the Greatsword, doing constant 1k+ damage hits before clone damage. With clones it melted most classes down in under 10 seconds. It's practically the sole reason clone damage was nerfed to hell by BWE2. It's made to be a sniper weapon, independent of how most people tend to play Mesmers. It has the same bonus damage at longer ranges property that the Ranger Longbow has.

Violet_0

Banned
I don't see them used as much anymore, but the popular Mesmer build back in BWE1 was high power, precision, and crit damage with the Greatsword, doing constant 1k+ damage hits before clone damage. It's practically the sole reason clone damage was nerfed to hell by BWE2. It's made to be a sniper weapon, independent of how most people tend to play Mesmers. It has the same bonus damage at longer ranges property that the Ranger Longbow has.

the Ranger longbow isn't used much either though

admittedly, I haven't tried a power build, but I just checked the Mesmer traits again and they don't synergize very well, it seems to me. Neither Domination nor Dueling really have any traits that improve your direct damage, and Dueling seems to push the "clones apply bleeding" build.

I'm using greatsword myself, but if I want to do damage I switch to sword+pistol

etiolate

Banned
Is anyone else struggling to get used to how floaty and sluggy GW2 plays compared to games like World of Warcraft? For some reason it just doesn't feel as responsive in both gameplay or camera control.

I've never understood this take. The game is more responsive than other MMOs. The camera default is a bit slower though.

Emitan

If bronies are making guilds I'm making a K-On!! guild.

The camera feels sluggish even if you speed it up. Maybe it's vsync.

Jira

The default camera speed option is all the way to the left and slow, put it to the right and the damn thing moves TOO fast. I found the middle to be the correct amount for me personally.

"I've never understood this take. The game is more responsive than other MMOs."

Hmmmmm, not really. Responsive is definitely not a word I'd use to describe it. Not quite as bad as WAR in this regard, but pretty close.

desverger

Really having a tough time deciding between the Thief and the Mesmer. And only got a few days left to decide, damnit.

My personality is telling me to go with Mesmer, for whatever reason..

Wallach

I've never understood this take. The game is more responsive than other MMOs. The camera default is a bit slower though.

I think it is a combination of the camera being kind of dumb (I'd really like to hear their reasoning for not making it fixed point) and the way the skill system is designed compared to most MMOs. There's very few instant skills in this game; even the vast majority of stuff that does not have a cast bar has an activation time. When you get to stuff that is properly instant like shouts, the difference is really obvious. Other MMOs have trained people to categorize things without cast bars as instant and it leaves an expectation of how a button should respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom