• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

Man, I have no idea what class I want to play.

I like warrior for just the idea of kicking ass, I like elementalist for the idea of AoE, I like thief for how quick it is and I like ranger for sniping. Oh, and mesmer for all the debuffs.

Someone help me pick.

Sethos

Banned
That is the worst grey area. Vsync = Input lag. Triple Buffered = Bit less input lag, still sluggish. No Vsync = Useless high amount of FPS. FPS cap = Tearing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I didn't expect to play Warrior, and still not like it as much as guardian. Guess it's confirmed that I'm playing Guardian again at launch!

PatzCU

So is there any reason to work/grind for good gear in this game? It seems like with all the scaling going on, the game is designed to put everyone on the same footing. Can you wreck people in WvW after putting in the time to get great gear?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
No idea what you're talking about honestly. Movement and combat both feel pretty great and to the point for me, it's got a lot more "oomph" than most MMOs. At least that`s what I think.

edit: oh, vsync. Yeah I always had that off, that might explain it.

Also, does anyone think framerate will go up for launch, compared to the latest stress test?

birdchili

Am I the only one going in almost completely blind? Since there is no traditional endgame, there's no rush to max level. I played maybe two hours between all the betas and want to be surprised when the game comes out. All this planning and researching just seems completely backwards to me. I miss the days of EQ when everything was a mystery and nothing was known.
completely blind here to story/lore/environment/etc... i've been spoiling stuff mechanically for a long while, but will be taking my sweet time to smell the roses savaging all opposition once i start playing (in a few weeks).

Levito

Banned
No idea what you're talking about honestly. Movement and combat both feel pretty great and to the point for me, it's got a lot more "oomph" than most MMOs. At least that`s what I think.

The controls are perfect too, that's one of my biggest gripes with any MMO other than GW2 and WoW.

Orayn

So is there any reason to work/grind for good gear in this game? It seems like with all the scaling going on, the game is designed to put everyone on the same footing. Can you wreck people in WvW after putting in the time to get great gear?

Before level 80? Yes and no. Your character's stats (damage, armor, etc.) are always scaled up to level 80 values in WvW, but stat bonuses from armor and weapons aren't. Having good gear will still be an advantage, but it's not absolutely essential.
*At* level 80, there aren't mythical armor sets with bonuses better than those your can obtain from stores, crafting, quest rewards, etc., just cooler armor skins.

In structured (Read: Competitive) PvP, gear is standardized and you can't even use the same stuff you do PvE/WvW with.

Effect

Big update on launcher.

Another one or perhaps the same one if you updated last night?

Finally prepurchased the game via Amazon today. So I'm in. Just need to read up more on the game. I know the basics and what to expect but some details I'm still fuzzy on or don't know about.

birdchili

their desire to make this an esport has caused them to remove high-level grind for gear bonuses.

you can grind for aesthetic gear, but it sounds like "top" gear stat-wise isn't too hard to get.

Jira

No, at level 80 there's a stat max stat cap on gear that won't increase. Everyone will be on even footing at 80 very very quickly and what you strive for is what the gear looks like, that is how you standout. Your skill is how you standout as well. There's no lololol faceroll cause I put 1,000 hours into the game and someone else didn't.

This... sounds bad :( after this long they didn't notice this/find a fix?

Hopefully that will be patched or is that just the way it feels then since that was one of my main gripes with a lot of those "generic" or F2P MMOs oftentimes..

This is entirely a perception issue for some. For some they're unable to get around the fact that there's weight to the camera and movement. It has nothing to do with the speed or responsiveness of the actual movement itself, merely the transitional animation. When you move you're always at 100% speed as soon as you press the button, there's just a transition animation between starting and stopping that was an intentional design choice. Essentially they've designed animation systems for 2012, not 2004. People really need to step out of their comfort zones.

alazz

For what it's worth you could get max armor as soon as you were out of Pre-searing in Prophecies provided that you could pay for a run and materials. Or you could work through till Beacon's Perch and reach Droknar's Forge within a few hours out of pre-searing too. Max armor wasn't a status symbol, it was just part of the game.

I barely touched the personal story, so are there any core missions to the main quest like in GW, or are the personal stories supposed to be equivalent, but along the lines of Eotn's mission style? Is the end goal of defeating the dragons achieved by just regular play through one area to the next until you eventually reach Orr?

Your dual core is really hurting you. But yeah upgrade ASAP as you said.

Yeah. I had a dual core AMD 7750 BE and an 9800GT and the Stress Test after BWE3 rode my system at a respectable <1FPS (although the BWE1 and the first couple of stress tests went fine at about 15-30 fps). Upgraded to an i5-2500K and an HD6950 and I get a stable 50-60 FPS on high. I'm turning off V-sync though; input lag was bothersome. Best money spent since my pre-purchase.

falastini

Man, I have no idea what class I want to play.

I like warrior for just the idea of kicking ass, I like elementalist for the idea of AoE, I like thief for how quick it is and I like ranger for sniping. Oh, and mesmer for all the debuffs.

Someone help me pick.

Eh... each class can fulfill many of those roles you mentioned. Instead of looking at roles, look at each class's mechanics to help you decide.

Warrior has FF-7 style limit breaks with each weapon.
Thief has steal and use combo points for skills instead of cooldowns.
Ranger has pet mechanics.
etc.

The mechanics and aesthetics are what make the classes unique. You can almost trait any class to be good in any role.

Yeah, one of my biggest problems with the game is how "floaty" everything feels. Increasing camera sensitivity helps with the camera movement, but I can't say that I really have an issue with response times.

I'm not entirely sure what people mean by "floaty". Could you all be a bit more specific? I've noticed some complain about their characters' feet not touching the ground, which isn't true (however, there seems to be an issue where shadows are not projected under certain settings and surfaces, shadows being one of the biggest visual feedbacks for ground contact). The other thing I've seen mentioned is that animation doesn't correlate with movement speed, because apparently characters had acceleration before but early testers complained it was, ironically enough, awkward, so they removed acceleration (movement is instant now, like in WoW) but some animations still have some acceleration (I personally don't notice or at least are bothered by this).

I'd really like to know if, when people say "floaty", they refer to any of those issues, both, or a different one, because at this point, it's quite hard to even discuss something when you're not even sure what it is. Could you guys be a little more specific?

LProtag

Eh... each class can fulfill many of those roles you mentioned. Instead of looking at roles, look at each class's mechanics to help you decide.

Warrior has FF-7 style limit breaks with each weapon.
Thief has steal and use combo points for skills instead of cooldowns.
Ranger has pet mechanics.
etc.

The mechanics and aesthetics are what make the classes unique. You can almost trait any class to be good in any role.

There's always like one little thing about each class that turns me off of them, haha. Like I really like ranger longbow, but I'm not fond of pet management.

SalomonA

I've noticed that the draw distance is really wierd sometimes. In events I see every player around me, but while im questing and people run away from me, they just disapear after a few seconds.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Jira

I've noticed that the draw distance is really wierd sometimes. In events I see every player around me, but while im questing and people run away from me, they just disapear after a few seconds.

Have anyone else noticed this?

I believe this is done to keep performance up when there's tons of people on screen and spell effects going off. This is especially needed in WvW considering there can be 600 people in each map.

SalomonA

I believe this is done to keep performance up when there's tons of people on screen and spell effects going off. This is especially apparent in WvW considering there can be 600 people in each map.

What bothers me tho is that there is no option in the menu for it. I'm sure this is used in other mmos aswell (WoW?), but in GW2 it's really clear what they've done. The player draw distance is simply to low.

I'm not entirely sure what people mean by "floaty". Could you all be a bit more specific? I've noticed some complain about their characters' feet not touching the ground, which isn't true (however, there seems to be an issue where shadows are not projected under certain settings and surfaces, shadows being one of the biggest visual feedbacks for ground contact). The other thing I've seen mentioned is that animation doesn't correlate with movement speed, because apparently characters had acceleration before but early testers complained it was, ironically enough, awkward, so they removed acceleration (movement is instant now, like in WoW) but some animations still have some acceleration (I personally don't notice or at least are bothered by this).

I'd really like to know if, when people say "floaty", they refer to any of those issues, both, or a different one, because at this point, it's quite hard to even discuss something when you're not even sure what it is. Could you guys be a little more specific?

It's hard to explain because I only spent a couple of hours with the game. I would need to spend some more time for any kind of detailed analysis. My initial impression is that the characters didn't seem to have any weight or feedback to them. I think it might be a combination of the animation and physics, but maybe it's just a personal preference. I had no issue with the camera (once I increased sensitivity and disabled auto-reset or whatever) and movement and abilities were responsive.

jbortz78

Really enjoyed the stress test last night even though I only played for about 2 hours...

But the Guardian didnt do it for me, to much def skills at the first lvls.

Really leaning towards an necromancer at the moment, love the death shroud:)

Now which race... Human or Sylvari..?!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I used to think you were cool.

Now I know he's cool.

It's hard to explain because I only spent a couple of hours with the game. I would need to spend some more time for any kind of detailed analysis. My initial impression is that the characters didn't seem to have any weight or feedback to them. I think it might be a combination of the animation and physics, but maybe it's just a personal preference. I had no issue with the camera (once I increased sensitivity and disabled auto-reset or whatever) and movement and abilities were responsive.

I kind of feel the same way.

Jira

Really enjoyed the stress test last night even though I only played for about 2 hours...

But the Guardian didnt do it for me, to much def skills at the first lvls.

Really leaning towards an necromancer at the moment, love the death shroud:)

Now which race... Human or Sylvari..?!

You did change weapons right?

So for those that use a headset, how does it work with voice chat and such? I've been contemplating getting a decent headset ($50-60) because my desk in in our main living space and would rather have the girl and kid not be interrupting my 1337 gaming sounds.

EDIT: What's a good headset for $50 or so? I was looking at the X12's

So for those that use a headset, how does it work with voice chat and such? I've been contemplating getting a decent headset ($50-60) because my desk in in our main living space and would rather have the girl and kid not be interrupting my 1337 gaming sounds.

There is no voice chat in game. X12's are quite good btw for the price IMO.

There is no voice chat in game. X12's are quite good btw for the price IMO.

Should have been more specific. I meant utilizing Mumble/Vent and such. I like to be in mumble a lot (probably not as much at the beginning) but I found myself slowly turning down my sound volume in WoW over time and I really don't want to do that again. Plus I used speakers and a USB mic for the most part.

Should have been more specific. I meant utilizing Mumble/Vent and such. I like to be in mumble a lot (probably not as much at the beginning) but I found myself slowly turning down my sound volume in WoW over time and I really don't want to do that again. Plus I used speakers and a USB mic for the most part.

If you have a USB mic already just get a nice pair of headphones :) I purchased some sennheisers for $60 and use my laptops built in mic.

Retro

Turtle Beach X12s are fantastic, my wife and I both use them. Can't be beat at that price. Overall very comfortable for long periods (I wear them all day sometimes) and great sound quality.

Jira

Mumble has ducking built in where you can control how low your system volume goes down in relation to the people talking.

Retro

Hey Guys,

Guild Wars 2 is beating Madden. Dunno how long it's been up there, but it's been in the top 5 for a while now.

StMeph

If you have a USB mic already just get a nice pair of headphones :) I purchased some sennheisers for $60 and use my laptops built in mic.

The USB microphone that came with Rock Band is surprisingly good and can be very easily used for PC. That I already bought a mic stand for RB just makes the transition to hands-free PC use even easier.

This game looks tempting. I'm not really a fan of MMOs but I really like big open-world fantasy games. Would this game still be fun if I decided to go do things by myself a lot of the time, or is it pretty much all group stuff?

So, for those of us who haven't been keeping up:

Head start starts this Saturday right?
And where can I download the client? All i have is the one used for beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom