• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttocs

I'll say it again - Personal Story is probably one of the major draws of the game for me, and I constantly get up the courage to try to make my way through Orr to get to them - however, considering that the zones are incredibly tough solo, it's hard to complete maps like I have been doing before hitting up them.

The best part about personal story is that there's one for every level in 70 - 80, as opposed to one every three levels.

That's really good to hear. I wish I could spend more time on my story leveling up but I feel like it's do a quest then explore a map or two, do a quest, explore a map...sometimes I just want to finish the story ark before moving on to exploring. I understand why that's the case though, I just get drawn into the story.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bloodtide Coast
Whoa, really? I just stumbled out here 5 levels too early, but it's become my favorite zone so far. Some very unique, clever hearts with interesting non-combat options IMO. Plus, it houses a couple areas that are very important to me :D

scosher

Best part of this game is sPvP, followed by WvW. WvW has the potential to excel in the future, but right now, with most people not really understanding strategy or objectives, people are just mindlessly zerging back and forth from what I've found. I still look forward to it.

The PvE though is a huge disappointment, and I echo pretty much everything KingKong stated. Things that should have been changed (most being too late to alter now that the game is released)

- Level cap should've been lowered to 60, with zones scaled down accordingly, or there should've been more weapon/utility skills to unlock or modify from level 50-80. The grind from 50-80 is simply made worse by there being no further skill to look forward to. Perhaps we're all just hamsters on a wheel, but we need that carrot.

- Maps should not have shown where Vistas or Skill Points were located (maybe leaving in PoI's at most). This game is beautiful and I do enjoy exploring it...but I feel the wonder of exploring every nook and cranny of this world is lost or lessened by having all points of interests mapped out already. It feels more like completing a checklist for each zone rather than discovering something hidden, and that's simply not as fun. In fact, for that reason, finding some of the jumping puzzles in this game (which are unmarked), were the highlights of exploration. If someone really wanted to 100% a map, google or wiki's are always available.

- Crafting should not have required so many fine crafting mats to level up. They didn't really tune this right at all.

- The holy trinity of roles should not have been abolished. They could have lessened its importance by, for example, getting rid of the aggro table, but still giving tank classes a taunt-like ability on a cooldown, or giving healers ways to more effectively play support if they so choose. The group PvE in this game just feels too free-for-all with no sense of coordination. Yes, there are combos, but they seem to occur more by happenstance, especially in PUG's.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Because you are supposed to have 1 melee and 1 ranged? You can't just play melee if you want? Or just ranged if you want?

Edit: Bring the player not the class... but make sure the player has X and Y options equipped!

I mean, sure, if you want, but if you're not equipped to be versatile, you won't be versatile. That's just a fact of life, whether in a video game or otherwise. I don't understand why anyone would run around with just melee. That seems monumentally silly, especially when every single class has at least 1 ranged option.

Best part of this game is sPvP, followed by WvW. WvW has the potential to excel in the future, but right now, with most people not really understanding strategy or objectives, people are just mindlessly zerging back and forth from what I've found. I still look forward to it.

The PvE though is a huge disappointment, and I echo pretty much everything KingKong stated. Things that should have been changed (most being too late to alter now that the game is released)

- Level cap should've been lowered to 60, with zones scaled down accordingly, or there should've been more weapon/utility skills to unlock or modify from level 50-80. The grind from 50-80 is simply made worse by there being no further skill to look forward to. Perhaps we're all just hamsters on a wheel, but we need that carrot.

- Maps should not have shown where Vistas or Skill Points were located (maybe leaving in PoI's at most). This game is beautiful and I do enjoy exploring it...but I feel the wonder of exploring every nook and cranny of this world is lost or lessened by having all points of interests mapped out already. It feels more like completing a checklist for each zone rather than discovering something hidden, and that's simply not as fun. In fact, for that reason, finding some of the jumping puzzles in this game (which are unmarked), were the highlights of exploration. If someone really wanted to 100% a map, google or wiki's are always available.

- Crafting should not have required so many fine crafting mats to level up. They didn't really tune this right at all.

- The holy trinity of roles should not have been abolished. They could have lessened its importance by, for example, getting rid of the aggro table, but still giving tank classes a taunt-like ability on a cooldown, or giving healers ways to more effectively play support if they so choose. The group PvE in this game just feels too free-for-all with no sense of coordination. Yes, there are combos, but they seem to occur more by happenstance, especially in PUG's.

You make some valid complaints, but it's interesting to note that I don't agree at all with you.

Abolishing the holy trinity was a fantastic idea, and I haven't had an issue with it. I also think lowering the level cap is an awful idea, and I'm glad it's 80. I really enjoy the content, and I never needed a carrot to keep me playing. The game itself is a blast. I don't need an incentive to keep playing. The game itself is the incentive. Never really understood why people play MMOs if the game itself isn't incentive enough to keep playing.

All the skills I've wanted to use I've had since 20, and I'm 65 now, and still having a blast. I don't know. If you don't think the game itself is enough incentive, maybe you should play another game.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - if the core gameplay doesn't appeal to you, there's not a whole lot that's going to fix that. If nothing else, you can try to mix things up with other classes and different builds (LOTS of build variety even within the same class) before you throw in the towel.

Me, between exploring, sPvP, occasional WvW, messing with different builds, and switching between different characters, I've had a grand ol' time. I did run into a bit of a roadblock at Bloodtide Coast (stupid explorer event that sends you wading neck-deep into HUGE PILES of enemies), but I just switched zones and continued on my merry way.

Pretty much this. The game itself is a blast to me, and I don't understand why people are playing the game if the game itself isn't fun. This isn't a regular MMO where the core game is shit, and the pretty gear keeps you playing. The game itself is meant to be fun, and if you're not enjoying it, don't play. You will never enjoy it.

zulfate

In my opinion i think they need to add something to the 50-80 zone. I am finding myself wondering around with nothing to do...in the 1-15 zones i felt like a ton of shit was going on all the time. I also think they need to add something to pve besides traits to feel some sort of growth

But there are some good suggestions here i will attempt to try out more wvw and spvp some more to break the monotony.

Oh and one more thing, why do i feel like the personal quest should help you to get to 80 a bit faster than just running around..almost like part 1 was were it helped guide you more.

Ashodin

All the other stuff I'm going to have to disagree with, but this point I'd like to respond to the most:

The game is entirely different how it deals with dungeon encounters. Most people are coming at it in a WoW mentality, and they don't understand how to exactly respond to what's going on.

You have to provide support to your friends, it's the only way you can reliably take on encounters. Boons don't last as long as you'd like for protracted encounters, so changing up your utilities to fit that works really well.

Protection is probably the most amazing buff for groups = -33% damage to the people involved is amazing. Boons are pretty amazing in this game.

Rev3rb

Anyone ever notice when you jump into an Asura portal your character will scream bloody murder when the loading screen finishes? lol

Jack_AG

Banned
I'm sorry, WHAT? Could you clarify this as I've read it like 6 times through and can't tell what you mean?

You said I needed to hit higher level areas for a challenge. I'm saying that's not intended design of GW2 due to scaling. You should, technically, always be challenged.

No I'm not. Plenty of people are having trouble in level 15-25 zones. Not everyone is as naturally good as you! If you're not finding a challenge, why not seek one? You sound like you're saying you're not even willing to investigate if ArenaNet has a challenge on offer for you at all.

No i'm not naturally awesome and I have seeked challenges. Tried a DE all by my lonesome at some off hour. Impossible to finish. Not because of my skill - but because having to kill wave after wave of centaurs I was overwhelmed by wave 3.

Me dying to 1-2 mobs is me not having the skill to defeat them. Me dying to 15 mobs at once is being overwhelmed. Stark contrast.

Disagree but it's starting to sound like it doesn't matter, and maybe the game isn't just you. You can seek out events in underpopulated areas and even try and solo them if everything you experience is just that easy. But perhaps not worth the effort. You could be playing something you don't loathe. :-/

I do like GW2 - I think it's great for about 30 levels until everything feels regurgitated. Level cap should have been 30 and no more. The purpose of GW1 was to get rid of the grind and just have fun playing - that's not the case here. There is most definitely a grind.

I'm not saying that it can't be fun - it is for a good while - but the fun dies off when you realize nothing changes the higher level you get. It's all the same.

Some people like repetition - hell - it's why people Raid. I got tired of that over the years - I will still play GW2 but not as my go-to MMO. It's just far too grind-y than ANet has let on.

KingKong

I was getting that way with thief too.. so I just made myself use other weapons and try different trait builds. Experimented more with weapon swapping and self made combo fields.

Well like I said, gun vs bow is a huge difference because one is single enemy damage and the other has AOE attacks, and I've been switching weapon builds as I find better weapons, but melee doesn't change much (and it can't really, a few skills are different like stuns or whirling attacks but melee isn't very varied by definition unless its something like Mount & Blade), which is why more unlockable skills would have really helped

Ferrio

Banned
Well like I said, gun vs bow is a huge difference because one is single enemy damage and the other has AOE attacks, and I've been switching weapon builds as I find better weapons, but melee doesn't change much (and it can't really, a few skills are different like stuns or whirling attacks but melee isn't very varied by definition unless its something like Mount & Blade), which is why more unlockable skills would have really helped

Well maybe warrior isn't for you? They are pretty dry mechanic wise.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I do like GW2 - I think it's great for about 30 levels until everything feels regurgitated. Level cap should have been 30 and no more. The purpose of GW1 was to get rid of the grind and just have fun playing - that's not the case here. There is most definitely a grind.

I'm not saying that it can't be fun - it is for a good while - but the fun dies off when you realize nothing changes the higher level you get. It's all the same.

Some people like repetition - hell - it's why people Raid. I got tired of that over the years - I will still play GW2 but not as my go-to MMO. It's just far too grind-y than ANet has let on.

It's not fun if you think it's a grind. I'm having a blast doing events, and I don't consider it a grind. If you consider it a grind, you might want to try playing a game that is not Guild Wars 2.

All the other stuff I'm going to have to disagree with, but this point I'd like to respond to the most:

The game is entirely different how it deals with dungeon encounters. Most people are coming at it in a WoW mentality, and they don't understand how to exactly respond to what's going on.

You have to provide support to your friends, it's the only way you can reliably take on encounters. Boons don't last as long as you'd like for protracted encounters, so changing up your utilities to fit that works really well.

Protection is probably the most amazing buff for groups = -33% damage to the people involved is amazing. Boons are pretty amazing in this game.

Pretty much this. A lot of the "I miss the holy trinity" posts seem to boil down to "outside of the established holy trinity, I have no idea how to deal with these dungeons".

I'm sorry that the game is so different that you guys don't like it, but that's what they advertised. A game that is not like other MMOs. Maybe it turns out, you just wanted the same MMO again.

You should have played a Guardian.

In my opinion i think they need to add something to the 50-80 zone. I am finding myself wondering around with nothing to do...in the 1-15 zones i felt like a ton of shit was going on all the time. I also think they need to add something to pve besides traits to feel some sort of growth

That's so weird. Since I hit 60, I've been hit with event after event after epic group event after huge boss.

bounchfx

Then why not treat it like you're already there? you can do all the same things practically (including PvP and WvW). It doesn't really feel like a 'grind' to me, because you're never really feeling like you get more powerful (unless you run straight into the high zones to start). Which is a separate problem but it hasn't bothered me much.

I do agree, GW1 was more focused because it basically removed the leveling and focused on skill getting through zones, which is basically what the dungeons are here as far as I can tell. But I wouldn't call leveling in gw2 a grind, considering it's fast as hell, and none of the activities feel particularly grind-y compared to other MMOs

Some people like repetition - hell - it's why people Raid.

No, I raid for loot, and the social experience. I HATE repetition.

inky

Well, the level 70-80 zones around Orr don't even have hearts (it's all done through DEs) so most of the time is just people asking in chat where is an event going on, and you depend on people showing up. Perhaps is due to the newness of the game and the relative emptiness, but I don't really like the flow of the areas. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad and it mostly was a pain to traverse on your own due to the way mobs react and stack conditions on you.

100%ing them was bitch for sure, because some stuff is hidden behind champions or long chains of dynamic events. There is a place called jinx island, which has a PoI and a waypoint. After about an hour of asking in chat if anyone wanted to go there with me I decided to to do it by myself. It was challenging as hell, I had to cheese most of it and it was frustrating to have it reset a couple of times, but in the end I did it and I felt good about it. It's just an experience I didn't have in any of the other areas, good and terrible in every way possible.

I don't have a problem with PvE in this game in general, flaws and all. I've played other MMOs, and while I like some ways they do other stuff I feel GW2 is not as restrictive. For example, I played LOTRO for a good 2 years. I liked the story progression in those games, but the leveling curve shatters your morale in every way. It also happens that you leave tons and tons of content behind because organizing 5-10 man groups for random instances in between story missions is tough as hell. In the end, its game design works against it. GW2 is alright in that respect although I admit it needs more variety for sure.

Jack_AG

Banned

Isn't the idea of getting rid of the trinity so you can "bring what you want" without having to change up utilities?

It's essentially the trinity all over again in limited form and I disagree with the WoW mentality.

Having the trinity or having X spec IS the WoW mentality. People are trying to play the game as ANet said they could - you are insisting they go BACK to the WoW mentality by speccing a certain way.

Bring more support! = Bring more heals
Bring more damage soaking! = Bring more tank

You have to acknowledge that needing to bring more of X utility or Y trait IS bringing back the trinity, in a different form.

You are suggesting that you can't play how YOU want, how ANet says you should be able to with this:
changing up your utilities to fit that works really well

Again, this forces players to choose X over Y just to have an easier time with a dungeon. This is 100% just the same as making sure you are 3/3 in some talent in WoW to help out with a specific part of a dungeon.

thetrin

No, the idea of abolishing the holy trinity was getting rid of restrictive roles determined by class makeup.

What they did was create the opportunity for each class to be anything it wanted, within its own unique playstyle.

You don't need tank, healer, DPS. I've had zero problems with the dungeons so far with any number of different combinations.

Well, the level 70-80 zones around Orr don't even have hearts (it's all done through DEs) so most of the time is just people asking in chat where is an event going on, and you depend on people showing up. Perhaps is due to the newness of the game and the relative emptiness, but I don't really like the flow of the areas. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad and it mostly was a pain to traverse on your own due to the way mobs react and stack conditions on you.

Yeah, I hit 80 on my warrior and while in queue for WvW I try to find something to do in Orr...kind of annoying and somewhat boring because it's a PITA trying to run from place to place solo in that area just looking for something to do.

thetrin

that's why rushing to 80 doesn't seem like a great idea. I'll take my sweet time, and hopefully more people will be 80 when I get to Orr.

Jack_AG

Banned
No, the idea of abolishing the holy trinity was getting rid of restrictive roles determined by class makeup.

What they did was create the opportunity for each class to be anything it wanted, within its own unique playstyle.

But as others have said - you simply CAN'T. You can't be anything you want when people are saying you should spec into specific traits and take certain utilities with you.

The trinity still exists - not as tank/heals/dps - but as "be sure you bring X trait and Y utility or we're going to be fucked".

Same thing. It's not about the player - it's about the spec.

inky

Again, this forces players to choose X over Y just to have an easier time with a dungeon. This is 100% just the same as making sure you are 3/3 in some talent in WoW to help out with a specific part of a dungeon.

Maybe it does, but that doesn't mean you will be restricted to those choices the rest of the game or every single time you do it. I've done some dungeons with and without GAF guys (so they can vouch for this), and I can tell you I've used every weapon I have in them. In some I was mainly dishing damage from up front, in others I was playing more of a CC support guy, rooting bosses and throwing heals/boons, in others I used a mix of both: having up front melee damage while using my utility spells to cure conditions on others and turn them into boons for myself. Heck, we did a dungeon with 4 "support" class guys (guardians) and it went perfectly fine. We didn't even convene on what we needed to have or anything.

Going back to my LOTRO example, there I played a tank. I always needed a shield, I always used my taunts to tank, I always used my protection spell on the healer. I was restricted to that role. Hell, some instances I couldn't even do because I needed "radiance" on my gear to do the dungeons that awarded that radiance gear. It was fucking stupid. Sorry but it's not the same thing at all.

thetrin

But as others have said - you simply CAN'T. You can't be anything you want when people are saying you should spec into specific traits and take certain utilities with you.

The trinity still exists - not as tank/heals/dps - but as "be sure you bring X trait and Y utility or we're going to be fucked".

I haven't had that problem at all, with the exception of TA, where I switched out Pain Inverter for Stand Your Ground to break stun and fear.

OH NO HOW TERRIBLE I SWITCHED ONE SKILL WHAT A CRIME

I haven't respecced at all outside of when I've bought my manuals, and haven't had issues at all. I seriously do not know what you're talking about, because I have not had this problem.

As Inky says above, it is NOT the same. My changing one skill out for a specific dungeon is not just good strategy, and welcome in this game, it's also completely different from being a tank that always uses the same skills in every dungeon because otherwise my team dies.

Yeah, but then what? I'm currently in Jade Quarry and there are tons of people in Orr

I dunno... play with those tons of people? Isn't that why you bought the game?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You said I needed to hit higher level areas for a challenge. I'm saying that's not intended design of GW2 due to scaling. You should, technically, always be challenged.
I'm saying that your experience is not typical and surely you can acknowledge that. Lots of people say they're dying too much in zones that ARE intended for their level. You (and I, for the most part) are more skilled than that and can reasonably solo most things in my "appropriate" zones or below except for the giant World Events. I don't know what you mean by you should "technically" always be challenged, and by the way, per your analogy prior, the scrub zombies in Undead Burg are a lot less threatening to me at Soul Level 80 than the enemies in Plains of Ashford are to my level 40 character; the area is still relevant, though much easier. To keep higher-level players challenged, ArenaNet provides you the opportunity to seek new challenges out, like going to higher-level areas than your level indicates. I didn't say you needed to do it, I asked if you'd tried because I think it might be fun.

I don't know how you could possibly argue that it's not their intended design for me to do this if I feel like it, seeing as the rewards are so amazing for succeeding.

No i'm not naturally awesome and I have seeked challenges. Tried a DE all by my lonesome at some off hour. Impossible to finish. Not because of my skill - but because having to kill wave after wave of centaurs I was overwhelmed by wave 3.

Me dying to 1-2 mobs is me not having the skill to defeat them. Me dying to 15 mobs at once is being overwhelmed. Stark contrast.
Got it, so you sought one out and couldn't do it, and as a result are going to stick only to doing things that provide you no challenge but you can do, and then complain about a lack of challenge...? It just seems ridiculous to me, I will still leave the possibility open that I am missing something though.

I do like GW2 - I think it's great for about 30 levels until everything feels regurgitated. Level cap should have been 30 and no more.
Totally disagree. By far the majority of the content I have gotten the most from started after 30- really, that was a significant milestone because the first dungeon became available, which I found very enjoyable.

I loved that the cap was 20 in GW and I was initially against a cap of 80 in this, but the leveling curve is so smooth that I'm really, really glad to be roughly only halfway to it.
The purpose of GW1 was to get rid of the grind and just have fun playing - that's not the case here. There is most definitely a grind.
I don't know what to tell you here, I just couldn't disagree in stronger terms. I haven't repeated a single thing I didn't legitimately want to repeat (AC story mode, getting better every time ;D )

Again, just a completely different experience. The most fun I've had came at level 40 when I wandered onto Bloodtide Coast.
I loathe repetition. There's no cause for it. If you're sick of doing events (though I seem to find them more varied than you to begin with) there's a lot more stuff you can do in the interim.

It sounds extraordinarily like you just don't enjoy the game, which is completely valid; it couldn't be everything for everyone. But I can't really acknowledge any of the points you raised here as flaws in the game.

And by the way, it does have plenty of flaws. Some pretty darn substantial ones. I just don't think your points describe them.

Ashodin

I think you're not getting the idea of what a utility skill means. It means changing what you have to fit the need.

Your BUILD is what makes your character do different things like take less damage, or do more damage.

Your UTILITY SKILLS are used to fit the situation. It's akin to having a toolbox with stuff you can use to make encounters easier. Switching them up shouldn't be a terrible thing, but more of a WANT to do.

LkPr

is there an easy way to travel to other zones? Or do I have to make my way across a bunch of them to get where I want to go ... for example, I just finished Brisban Wildlands which lead me into Kessex Hills. I'm lvl 31 currently so I am always down-levelled in this Zone. The only 30-40 zone I see is Fields of Ruin, all the way on the other side of the World... So do I need to traverse the entire world to get over there and unlock a waypoint??

thetrin

I think you're not getting the idea of what a utility skill means. It means changing what you have to fit the need.

Your BUILD is what makes your character do different things like take less damage, or do more damage.

Your UTILITY SKILLS are used to fit the situation. It's akin to having a toolbox with stuff you can use to make encounters easier. Switching them up shouldn't be a terrible thing, but more of a WANT to do.

Not but you see, it doesn't matter if I'm fixing a computer or building a dog house. I should be able to use my hammer on everything, and it's stupid that I can't.

is there an easy way to travel to other zones? Or do I have to make my way across a bunch of them to get where I want to go ... for example, I just finished Brisban Wildlands which lead me into Kessex Hills. I'm lvl 31 currently so I am always down-levelled in this Zone. The only 30-40 zone I see is Fields of Ruin, all the way on the other side of the World... So do I need to traverse the entire world to get over there and unlock a waypoint??

the game assumes you've been going to different zones as you've been playing...so yeah. Time to hoof it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
When did "there are no defined class roles" become "you can be equally successful in every situation regardless of what skills you have equipped"?

Changing up your loadout based on the challenge at hand was a huge aspect of GW1. It's bizarre that it's considered a flaw here by people who claimed to like that game.

inky

that's why rushing to 80 doesn't seem like a great idea. I'll take my sweet time, and hopefully more people will be 80 when I get to Orr.

I didn't feel like I rushed, you people just lag behind doing god knows what. I'm was taking my sweet time too, 100%ing every area I passed through, doing my story missions at appropriate levels, etc. I got there with armorsmith at 200ish, jeweling at 0 and doing very little WvW.

It's almost 100% about how those areas are designed and less about "rushing to cap".

thetrin

When did "there are no defined class roles" become "you can be equally successful in every situation regardless of what skills you have equipped"?

Changing up your loadout based on the challenge at hand was a huge aspect of GW1. It's bizarre that it's considered a flaw here by people who claimed to like that game.

I find it bizarre too. That's the whole point of utility skills: changing them for different situations as the need arises. I don't know how anyone could consider using the same 10 skills for 150 hours is somehow great game design.

I didn't feel like I rushed, you people just lag behind doing god knows what. I'm was taking my sweet time too, 100%ing every area I passed through, doing my story missions at appropriate levels, etc. I got there with armorsmith at 200ish, jeweling at 0 and doing very little WvW.

It's almost 100% about how those areas are designed and less about "rushing to cap".

I'm not saying you rushed, but I don't know how you did it so quickly. I've been leveling like mad and playing every opportunity I've had, but I can't go any faster than a level every 45 minutes without outright skipping content.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Haha same here. I wasn't even trying to rush to 80, I just did a great deal of crafting, exploring (Got 100% in 8 areas before hitting 80), and DEs and I was just quickly outleveling every area with ease.

If you're sick of doing events (though I seem to find them more varied than you to begin with) there's a lot more stuff you can do in the interim.

I like the events...the problem I have is getting to them in Orr. A lot of the WP's end up contested so your only option is to walk BUT there are mobs littered every 10ft making it super annoying to anywhere there on your lonesome.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
1. You don't have to seek out zones for your exact level range. If you haven't done anything in Kessex Hills it will still get you lots of XP (and I think it's just a cool zone, really feels like there's an ongoing war to me).
2. There's an Asura gate to Ebonhawke in Divinity's Reach; Ebonhawke is on the outskirts of the Fields of Ruin.
3. Gendarren Fields and Lornar's Pass are also zones appropriate for your level.

I like the events...the problem I have is getting to them in Orr. A lot of the WP's end up contested so your only option is to walk BUT there are mobs littered every 10ft making it super annoying to anywhere there on your lonesome.
I haven't seen Orr yet but man do I remember zones like this in GW1 and they made me say "fuck" a lot :lol

I'm not saying you rushed, but I don't know how you did it so quickly. I've been leveling like mad and playing every opportunity I've had, but I can't go any faster than a level every 45 minutes without outright skipping content.
Well, he doesn't say he did this at all, but just FYI I got a level and a half in 20 minutes in Bloodtide Coast as a level 40 (it's a 45-55 zone).

Ashodin

1. You don't have to seek out zones for your exact level range. If you haven't done anything in Kessex Hills it will still get you lots of XP (and I think it's just a cool zone, really feels like there's an ongoing war to me).
2. There's an Asura gate to Ebonhawke in Divinity's Reach; it's on the outskirts of the Fields of Ruin.
3. Gendarren Fields and Lornar's Pass are also zones appropriate for your level.

I haven't seen Orr yet but man do I remember zones like this in GW1 and they made me say "fuck" a lot :lol

Well, he doesn't say he did this at all, but just FYI I got a level and a half in 20 minutes in Bloodtide Coast as a level 40 (it's a 45-55 zone).

Yep. I say "fucK" a lot in these zones.

Which is why I need a traveling buddy. Get to 80, Hawkian!

Yeah it gets rather annoying IMO. You really cannot walk anywhere there and not expect a fight of some sort. Even if you try to run from one WP to another you're going to end up pulling at least a few mobs and they will slow you down significantly with pulls or cripples. I know this game is against mounts and encourages exploration but I've already explored the area and I've done all events and my story line...would be nice to avoid these mobs just to get to events in a timely manner.

Ferrio

Banned

Find the nearest main city that's closest to that zone, go to lions arch, take a asura gate to that city.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Find the nearest main city that's closest to that zone, go to lions arch, take a asura gate to that city.
Nay! I'm pretty sure that would take him through a higher-level area on the way.

Divinity's Reach Asura Gate to Ebonhawke is the way to go if he wants to get up close and personal with the Dragonbrand at level 31. I'm saving it myself.

Jack_AG

Banned
Got it, so you sought one out and couldn't do it, and as a result are going to stick only to doing things that provide you no challenge but you can do, and then complain about a lack of challenge...? It just seems ridiculous to me, I will still leave the possibility open that I am missing something though.

Oh... OH! I had to stop reading here. Seriously now. If I REALLY have to further explain myself about that one DE... then... I have no clue how to proceed with you.

Do you understand the difference between being challenged and being overwhelmed? I mean... there is a HUGE divide over fighting 1 challenging enemy that actually takes skill, timing and know-how to overcome vs fighting a mob of enemies all rushing you with a basic attack... at the same time.

I'm not complaining about facing a challenge - i'm complaining about impossible odds. That was just 1 DE that didn't wind up working well for solo play. But what else was I supposed to do? It's a DE I triggered - there are no quests - the meat and potatoes of the game is the DE.

I'm not saying every DE needs to be soloable - i'm saying a DE needs to present a challenge - not troll all over me with a zillion mobs. Challenging is challenging and cheap is cheap.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh... OH! I had to stop reading here. Seriously now. If I REALLY have to further explain myself about that one DE... then... I have no clue how to proceed with you.

Do you understand the difference between being challenged and being overwhelmed? I mean... there is a HUGE divide over fighting 1 challenging enemy that actually takes skill, timing and know-how to overcome vs fighting a mob of enemies all rushing you with a basic attack... at the same time.

I'm not complaining about facing a challenge - i'm complaining about impossible odds. That was just 1 DE that didn't wind up working well for solo play. But what else was I supposed to do? It's a DE I triggered - there are no quests - the meat and potatoes of the game is the DE.

I'm not saying every DE needs to be soloable - i'm saying a DE needs to present a challenge - not troll all over me with a zillion mobs. Challenging is challenging and cheap is cheap.
Yeah you misunderstood me, that DE was obviously not soloable (or at least it wasn't for you at your current level). Not all of them need to be, as you said. Others might be (read: are). I'm sorry you had to stop reading :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No, I raid for loot, and the social experience. I HATE repetition.

It's crazy how so many people just don't understand this.

Working with a huge group of friends to take down a hard monster is just fun. It's not about repetition, it's about the thrill of the encounter, the social experience, and the rewards.

I hate how MMORPGs are all moving to tiny raid sizes of like 10 people or fewer.

Jack_AG

Banned

And what if I don't want to? What if I like my chosen utilities? Just because they don't fit the fight - that puts me at a disadvantage.

Also, your build is not just for "take less damage, or do more damage." - it affects everything down to your utilities, too. There's the rub - there's a lot of choice in how one plays - but if a specific dungeon/encounter is not conducive to your build - you are borked.

There is no way to make any encounter feel more dynamic with 5 guys - you need to do these things otherwise everything would be a zerg rush and I get that. But that is counter-intuitive to what ANet has been suggesting about how you play your character.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And what if I don't want to? What if I like my chosen utilities? Just because they don't fit the fight - that puts me at a disadvantage.
Yup! If your utilities don't fit the fight, you're at a disadvantage. No idea how else this could possibly work.

You can overcome the disadvantage with skill, or help from others. To expect the potential to put yourself at a disadvantage to not exist is unrealistic.
Also, your build is not just for "take less damage, or do more damage." - it affects everything down to your utilities, too. There's the rub - there's a lot of choice in how one plays - but if a specific dungeon/encounter is not conducive to your build - you are borked.
You could be borked, you could be just at a disadvantage, you could also find yourself at an unexpected advantage, too. If you're not specced ideally, your options are to overcome it with skill, get help, or change it up! You can change your utility skills within a dungeon, you know? (kind of kicks the crap out of GW1 in terms of convenience here, too).

There is no way to make any encounter feel more dynamic with 5 guys - you need to do these things otherwise everything would be a zerg rush and I get that. But that is counter-intuitive to what ANet has been suggesting about how you play your character.
I just don't get this. I heard them say, "there's no trinity- no predefined class roles." I have never heard "all utility skills are equally helpful in every situation."

Deitus

What if I want to bring a knife to a gun fight? Why should I be at a disadvantage just because I like knives?

What if I don't want to switch out Squirtle to fight against Bulbasaur? What if I like my water pokemon? Just because he doesn't fit in the fight, that puts me at a disadvantage.

Except that's what the whole game is about.

Changing out Utility Skills is what makes GW2 complex and more than a zerg fest. Changing your bar to fit the needs of an encounter is great for difficulty and overcoming.

inky

I hate how MMORPGs are all moving to tiny raid sizes of like 10 people or fewer.

Because designing them around 20-50 people is harder and I assume costs more, while on the user end, getting 50 people together, organized and willing to go through them is increasingly hard. Maybe not for WoW's huge numbers, but for every other game out there it's just not worth it.

GW2 way of dealing with it is making these events that happen in the world. There's pros and cons to it of course, but it's easier to get the people to do them. The drawback is that they are not as elaborate as they should be.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What if I want to bring a knife to a gun fight? Why should I be at a disadvantage just because I like knives?
Or put another way, this
KuGsj.gif

(and by the way, if you manage to win the gun fight with the knife anyway, feels good man)

What if I don't want to switch out Squirtle to fight against Bulbasaur? What if I like my water pokemon? Just because he doesn't fit in the fight, that puts me at a disadvantage.
Oh god, keep these analogies coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom