• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did "there are no defined class roles" become "you can be equally successful in every situation regardless of what skills you have equipped"?

Changing up your loadout based on the challenge at hand was a huge aspect of GW1. It's bizarre that it's considered a flaw here by people who claimed to like that game.

Claim to like the game? Oh please people can enjoy a game and point out flaws they have with the game. Opinions are magical

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Claim to like the game? Oh please people can enjoy a game and point out flaws they have with the game. Opinions are magical
Sorry, did you just totally misinterpret me? :-/

Changing your abilities to fit the scenario was a big part of Guild Wars 1. That aspect of Guild Wars 2, which exists, is being criticized, by some who claim that they liked Guild Wars 1; the aspect wasn't criticized by them regarding Guild Wars 1.

edit: This could just be because they didn't mention it and they did dislike it in GW1 also, which would be consistent

I'm sure there will be multiple paid expansions and they will most likely be very awesome.

Elona and the Crystal Desert would be a good setting for one.

I'd say the crystal desert and maybe elona is a certainty. Cantha if we're lucky. But I could see them creating an entirely new continent or something down the road as well. Campaigns and expansions are after all how they're going to make most of their money since we're not subscribing.

I don't suspect much will be free other than new events and such in the areas we already have.

There will definitely be paid expansions in the future. They have said that they split their development team in half once the game launched. The first half will be the live team, and will focus on bug fixes, balance patches, and free content updates. The second team will focus on developing expansions.

I don't think they have decided on a price point for the expansions yet. But considering how much content we are getting in the main game with no monthly fee, we will definitely get our money's worth in the expansion, however much they charge.

It's almost definite that there will be boxed expansions and it is likely they will have a cost. That's not to say that's the only time we'll be seeing added content. ArenaNet said themselves they want GW2 to be the best supported MMO in the Market. We'll see how that goes once they get the game under their firm control. It must be nuts around the office at the moment and checking my server it doesn't seem to be dying down at all. What about for you guys?

Thanks. Nice to hear that the game's going to get support for a long time, and that there will be more to look forward to.

No, not really.

(it's better)

I've already checked out the Sylvari area and Lion's Gate on an alternate character, so I can believe it.

Ashodin

And what if I don't want to? What if I like my chosen utilities? Just because they don't fit the fight - that puts me at a disadvantage.

Also, your build is not just for "take less damage, or do more damage." - it affects everything down to your utilities, too. There's the rub - there's a lot of choice in how one plays - but if a specific dungeon/encounter is not conducive to your build - you are borked.

There is no way to make any encounter feel more dynamic with 5 guys - you need to do these things otherwise everything would be a zerg rush and I get that. But that is counter-intuitive to what ANet has been suggesting about how you play your character.

All I'm saying is that yes, you can bring your utilities you like to the fight. But you have to level with me and agree that some utilities are made more for solo or offensive oriented gameplay, and right now, right now you can't rely entirely on other people to give support buffs and know where to place fields accurately and such, because they don't know how well the game works or the best way to get things to interact.

I've ran several dungeons, and every single time things click, I get a feeling of intense zen that I haven't felt in a long time in MMOs.

Hard ass fights that we figured out by strategy, not by managing the mechanics is how amazing the combat and the systems of the game work together.

The fact that one of the bosses in Ascalonian Catacombs can be stopped by a fucking DOOR is proof enough that the game was built on figuring out strategy against enemies you face, rather than needing a tank and a healer.

Ashodin

Man, I'm already getting slightly burned out - Don't even want to play when I get home. :(

Sad to hear it man. I still have so much to do on my character it's mindboggling, even at 80.

Legendaries, 100% zone completions, dailies, monthlies... karma gear.. it's all there!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The fact that one of the bosses in Ascalonian Catacombs can be stopped by a fucking DOOR is proof enough that the game was built on figuring out strategy against enemies you face, rather than needing a tank and a healer.
After having done this successfully 3 times (each more efficient than the last) I gotta say that in retrospect this encounter design is basically brilliant. The Lovers can just mop the floor with a group of five rushing at them over and over again, and doors swinging open and closed by placing boulders on plates isn't exactly what you think of as MMO boss-fight strategy. So how would you know to attempt it?

Well, you know how if you target a mob if offers you a little description? Those two get "Stronger near Vassar" and "Stronger near Relena" respectively. So clearly the encounter intends for you to separate them. Wait! Remember we can open and close those doors? And suddenly all of these loose boulders that do a distance knockdown seem so reasonably placed...

Rad-

I hope all of you that are getting bored of PvE won't stop playing alltogether. GW2 is still like GW1 in that the PvE is just the warmup, PvP is where the real fun begins.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we need more GAF PvPers. :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Because designing them around 20-50 people is harder and I assume costs more, while on the user end, getting 50 people together, organized and willing to go through them is increasingly hard. Maybe not for WoW's huge numbers, but for every other game out there it's just not worth it.

GW2 way of dealing with it is making these events that happen in the world. There's pros and cons to it of course, but it's easier to get the people to do them. The drawback is that they are not as elaborate as they should be.

Oh, I totally understand the reason, but it's all part of MMORPGs becoming less and less "massive" as time goes on. It's terribly unfortunate for someone like me who enjoyed that aspect of them the most.

OceanBlue

Kinda getting tired of running WvW solo. If you want to get into the GAF guild, do you just message someone in the OP? How do you know if they're on?

I have to admit I'm logging in and becoming a bit bored... Reminds me of the days in WoW I'd just log in, run around a city doing nothing, and read guild chat (sub fees well worth it) lol.

I've tried WvW a few times.... Combined with not knowing exactly what is going on/what to do, getting stomped by large groups of players, and low FPS around said large groups, I don't really enjoy it. sPvP sounds a bit like arena, and I hated that in WoW.

Maybe I just need to recruit more friends to play so I'm not by myself 90% of the time lol

Sethos

Banned
Sad to hear it man. I still have so much to do on my character it's mindboggling, even at 80.

Legendaries, 100% zone completions, dailies, monthlies... karma gear.. it's all there!

It's not because lack of content, just the content and activities doesn't really excite me. Don't really find levelling as relaxing as other MMOs, the carrot for levelling is close to non-existent but I also know the entire pull of the game is supposed to be the 'less focus on levelling' and just enjoying the same activities at level 1 as you are at level 80 which I appreciate but, I just have this insane OCD in MMOs that want me to blaze to max level THEN really work on my character.

Also, I'm a visual gear whore - Don't care about stats, the gear 1-60 gear at least is so visually unappealing as can be, I just hate looking at my character.

I know it all sounds crazy but ... I just have my quirks.

Macattk15

is there an easy way to travel to other zones? Or do I have to make my way across a bunch of them to get where I want to go ... for example, I just finished Brisban Wildlands which lead me into Kessex Hills. I'm lvl 31 currently so I am always down-levelled in this Zone. The only 30-40 zone I see is Fields of Ruin, all the way on the other side of the World... So do I need to traverse the entire world to get over there and unlock a waypoint??

For Field of Ruin specifically, there is a portal inside the Human city which leads directly there.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Enemy/activity diversity is my biggest gripe right now at level 48. I'm still enjoying the hell out of the combat (and it's becoming more challenging as I level, which I like). However, I'm tired of killing the same enemies over and over again with each Heart Quest.

Ashodin

It's not because lack of content, just the content and activities doesn't really excite me. Don't really find levelling as relaxing as other MMOs, the carrot for levelling is close to non-existent but I also know the entire pull of the game is supposed to be the 'less focus on levelling' and just enjoying the same activities at level 1 as you are at level 80 which I appreciate but, I just have this insane OCD in MMOs that want me to blaze to max level THEN really work on my character.

Also, I'm a visual gear whore - Don't care about stats, the gear 1-60 gear at least is so visually unappealing as can be, I just hate looking at my character.

I know it all sounds crazy but ... I just have my quirks.

I understand man. Everyone has their own idea of what makes a great MMO. Some are better suited than others to it.

I'm planning to do some WvW starting around 6-7pm est today with some friends, hopefully they'll put up more of a fight in the evening. I'll be in mumble if any Gaffers wanna come too

Ferrio

Banned
Enemy/activity diversity is my biggest gripe right now at level 48. I'm still enjoying the hell out of the combat (and it's becoming more challenging as I level, which I like). However, I'm tired of killing the same enemies over and over again with each Heart Quest.

Ya there's a big lack of that, but that's always been the case with new release MMOs. Hell... anyone remember DAoC when it was released? Should of been called Dark age of Spraggons.

Ya there's a big lack of that, but that's always been the case with new release MMOs. Hell... anyone remember DAoC when it was released? Should of been called Dark age of Spraggons.

LOTRO was the worst. How many varieties of bears, boars, and wolves could you create?

Kinda getting tired of running WvW solo. If you want to get into the GAF guild, do you just message someone in the OP? How do you know if they're on?

You can stalk Hawkian by adding Hawkian the Blade to your friend list and it will tell you when he is online. Send him a whisper for an invite into GAFO, the overflow guild. The current guild is capped. I'm hoping if the EU members splinter into their own branch, we can get most of the overflow members back in the main guild. Either that or we can beg ArenaNet to increase the member cap.

I have to admit I'm logging in and becoming a bit bored... Reminds me of the days in WoW I'd just log in, run around a city doing nothing, and read guild chat (sub fees well worth it) lol.

I've tried WvW a few times.... Combined with not knowing exactly what is going on/what to do, getting stomped by large groups of players, and low FPS around said large groups, I don't really enjoy it. sPvP sounds a bit like arena, and I hated that in WoW.

Maybe I just need to recruit more friends to play so I'm not by myself 90% of the time lol

Definitely find some friends to play with or ask in guild chat. My wife plays as many games as I do (she's also a GAF member) so she is right there with me. It has made everything a lot more enjoyable. I would be pretty bored if I was running solo all the time. Playing with others is what MMOs are all about!

Gaf doesn't really do any WvW together yet, it's kinda sad :(

I'm always down for running WvWvW, SPVP, or whatever. I just didn't want to start popping in solo since I just hit level 36 and still have so much stuff left to do on the PVE side. For anyone that wants to jump into some PVP, try advertising in guild chat first to see if anyone wants to tag along. I lose track of the chat often due to the large number of members but I'll usually jump on stuff like that. Some coordinated guild WvW and SPVP with Mumble would be amazing.

Keasar

And that is?

GW%20The%20Shatterer.jpg-720x540.jpg

This guy.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Hehe yeah DAoC probably had about 5 different enemy types per faction.

Luckily, that was my first MMO, so I didn't judge it as harshly. Exploration in that game certainly did feel like an adventure, though, as it was so damn easy to die.

Moaradin

Are any of the huge boss fights any good?

A couple that I have done. Fire Elemental is terrible. Mechanics aren't bad, but it's way overtuned. Shadow Behemoth is pretty good. The Shatterer really sucks because it's an extremely easy zergfest. Enjoy only being able to see the Dragon's feet at below 10 fps. Really disappointed with that one because it's the first true big boss fight. Hope the game has better dragons later on.

Zeliard

Still early days for me; I've only done Fire Elemental which is... an interesting encounter.

It's pretty absurd but I actually don't mind it that much because of how hilarious it can be, just watching players run in and just getting murdered within a second, and then others trying to rez them and getting wiped out, all in a continuous loop. You end up having like 5 players out of 30 who are able to stay alive for a decent amount of time DPS'ing him.

JoeBoy101

I'm low level with my Charr so only just did the Giant attacking the town the night before. Quite something considering how suicidal it was to engage him in melee, so everybody wailing with magic, bows, and guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom