• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm low level with my Charr so only just did the Giant attacking the town the night before. Quite something considering how suicidal it was to engage him in melee, so everybody wailing with magic, bows, and guns.

Just dodge when he stomps. Such a huge wind up on it, you have plenty of time to react.

Arcteryx

It's not because lack of content, just the content and activities doesn't really excite me. Don't really find levelling as relaxing as other MMOs, the carrot for levelling is close to non-existent but I also know the entire pull of the game is supposed to be the 'less focus on levelling' and just enjoying the same activities at level 1 as you are at level 80 which I appreciate but, I just have this insane OCD in MMOs that want me to blaze to max level THEN really work on my character.

Also, I'm a visual gear whore - Don't care about stats, the gear 1-60 gear at least is so visually unappealing as can be, I just hate looking at my character.

I know it all sounds crazy but ... I just have my quirks.

Same here. The gear has been a HUGE disappointment. :(

I'm low level with my Charr so only just did the Giant attacking the town the night before. Quite something considering how suicidal it was to engage him in melee, so everybody wailing with magic, bows, and guns.

Pretty much way to fight most of the big bosses are. Just sit back going pew pew while everyone else is in melee getting smacked around. Strategy for the big bosses just tends to be sitting their attacking with occassional dodge on the big telegraphed attack or aoe area

erragal

Mount Maelstrom boss has good mechanics but is way undertuned numbers wise. Probably the most interesting fight I've done in the game.

Artanisix

The vast majority of gear from 1-80 is fucking terrible and they really need to fix that. Even just adding more variety would really, really, really help. I don't care about stats much either, I want to look like a badass.

Xiaoki

Claw of Jormag is fun and has strategy.
I thought Claw of Jormag was the worst of the major event bosses. Absolutely terrible fight.

Also, what strategy?

Rocket launcher a wall, avoid bad stuff. Rocket launcher his face. Repeat for 10 minutes.

Then you mix it up in phase 2. Flame thrower pillars, avoid bad stuff. Flame thrower to face. Repeat for 10 minutes.

Then in phase 3 wonder why this is a level 80 dragon boss event.

If call something anytime a game makes you work to a goal, a grind... then yes you'll never get away from your weird definition of grinding.

That applies to other MMOs to. The whole grind concept generally is attributed to gear grinds. Guy way making comment how they claimed no grinding, yet it's right here in the game despite all the hyping.

It's not a weird definition of grinding, it's what people consider that "evil" grind in other MMOS

If call something anytime a game makes you work to a goal, a grind... then yes you'll never get away from your weird definition of grinding.

30 hours of earning karma for 1 piece of gear is a grind.

And what BattleMonkey said above, Anet said 'no grind,' which is what I was refuting.

Mikeside

It worked! I can finally play!

I'll probably be on in a couple of hours. Is there a euro guild yet or should I just join USGAF?

Ferrio

Banned
That applies to other MMOs to. The whole grind concept generally is attributed to gear grinds. Guy way making comment how they claimed no grinding, yet it's right here in the game despite all the hyping.

Right, but here lies the difference. In most MMOs (WoW) for example, if you want a particular piece of armor you have to go to run a specific dungeon, and maybe even specific boss over and over and over again.

That's not true with guild wars. Karma is obtained through WvW, dynamic events, your personal story etc. You have several options available that just naturally will accrue karma through regular play. You don't have to deviate from what you want to do to get that piece of armor. Ya, you may get it faster if you find the quickest event out there, and run it over and over and over again.. but that's on your head to do. The game isn't forcing you to. THATS a grind, repeating the same action over and over to a goal. You are not forced to do this in GW.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ugh

You don't need level 80 exotic karma gear for anything other than the visual appeal of it and you're damn right you have to work to get it. It's no different than Obsidian armors in GW1. If you want to consider that "grinding" then go for it I suppose but getting super-cool prestige armor is not at all what ArenaNet was talking about when they said there was no grind in this game which, in my experience so far, there has not ben.

Right, but here lies the difference. In most MMOs (WoW) for example, if you want a particular piece of armor you have to go to run a specific dungeon, and maybe even specific boss over and over and over again.
Well, sure it is, for the dungeon armors. But again, there's no reason to get it besides thinking it looks cool, you can be just as viable with crafted/slotted armors and it's laughably trivial to get decent armor for your level at any time.

Sethos

Banned

That's not true with guild wars. Karma is obtained through WvW, dynamic events, your personal story etc. You have several options available that just naturally will accrue karma through regular play. You don't have to deviate from what you want to do to get that piece of armor. Ya, you may get it faster if you find the quickest event out there, and run it over and over and over again.. but that's on your head to do the game isn't forcing you to. THATS a grind, repeating the same action over and over to a goal. You are not forced to do this in GW.

You can PvP to earn tokens WoW, they can be converted to PvE points. You can run dungeons to get tokens AND gear, there's raids and also PvP and world quests will earn you gear. It's the exact same "grind" as in GW2 if what is being said is true.

That's not true with guild wars. Karma is obtained through WvW, dynamic events, your personal story etc. You have several options available that just naturally will accrue karma through regular play. You don't have to deviate from what you want to do to get that piece of armor. Ya, you may get it faster if you find the quickest event out there, and run it over and over and over again.. but that's on your head to do. The game isn't forcing you to. THATS a grind, repeating the same action over and over to a goal. You are not forced to do this in GW.

So, earning Karma is the "grind". You just have different avenues to go about that? Still a grind.

Palmer_v1

There are several things keeping us from being more organized about WvW. One is the ridiculous queue times that mean you basically can't guarantee you'll even get into WvW on a particular night. Another is the maximum of 5 people in a party. Beyond that and you have to get people to start extra groups. I believe once we get someone to 100 gold, we'll be able to form a battle group of some kind that is essentially a raid group to help alleviate this.

The BEST thing to do if you want to group up for WvW is jump in mumble and look for the regulars. Just off the top of my head, you have Hawkian, docbon, guymanly, palmer, wollach, etc. We're not always in the right channel for WvW though. We should probably be better about that so it doesn't confuse people looking for WvW. If you're in mumble, you can at least coordinate what's going on even if you're not in the same group.

I also proposed starting a WvW/PvP specific guild to help narrow down who's actually interested in that stuff from the rest of the general guild chatter. Someone you could change over to when you are planning to WvW for a while.

inky

ugh

You don't need level 80 exotic karma gear for anything other than the visual appeal of it and you're damn right you have to work to get it.

Work for it =/= doing 100+ events per piece of gear. That's where the problem lies. It's not like all you do with karma is buy those pieces, right? Your personal story ends too, so it's not like that is a great option for acquiring karma.

arimanius

I had no issues with that fight on my warrior with a greatsword. Just have to know when to dodge and then I'd rush back in. Easy.

Tetsuo9

ugh

You don't need level 80 exotic karma gear for anything other than the visual appeal of it and you're damn right you have to work to get it. It's no different than Obsidian armors in GW1. If you want to consider that "grinding" then go for it I suppose but getting super-cool prestige armor is not at all what ArenaNet was talking about when they said there was no grind in this game which, in my experience so far, there has not ben.

Well, sure it is, for the dungeon armors. But again, there's no reason to get it besides thinking it looks cool, you can be just as viable with crafted/slotted armors and it's laughably trivial to get decent armor for your level at any time.

Didn't mean to complain about it, I just thought that is was a little on the high side.

I'm guessing that the fastest way to get exotics at the moment is by crafting.

For some items, but most MMOs have moved away from that and give you more options for the tokens, marks, etc for the trade ins. Many now have evolved to allowing you have options. And this is generally optional too since it all lies in pure end game gear, none of which is needed to actually play through the rest of the game.

Lot of folks keep thinking of WoW and MMOs as if they were all stuck in 2004 era design.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I also proposed starting a WvW/PvP specific guild to help narrow down who's actually interested in that stuff from the rest of the general guild chatter. Someone you could change over to when you are planning to WvW for a while.
Err if this happens I say we just switch over to rep the overflow for those purposes. They could use the influence :p

Ferrio

Banned
So, earning Karma is the "grind". You just have different avenues to go about that? Still a grind.

No, that's character progress. Grind is repeating the exact same action over and over. You're fucking batshit insane if you think you'll find an MMO that'll just hand you everything for free endgame.

For some items, but most MMOs have moved away from that and give you more options for the tokens, marks, etc for the trade ins. Many now have evolved to allowing you have options. And this is generally optional too since it all lies in pure end game gear, none of which is needed to actually play through the rest of the game.

Lot of folks keep thinking of WoW and MMOs as if they were all stuck in 2004 era design.

No, I accounted for that. In WoW you still have to run the exact same dungeon for the new tier when it comes out over and over. Yes they've gotton better and is less of a grind. You're whole point of going in those dungeons is tokens or straight up gear. In GW2, your point is to crush the other servers in WvW... which incidently you'll gain karma along the way.

And I said it way before this game came out. If you weren't interesting in WvW or sPvP.. then you are going to get bored of this game quickly post 80.

OceanBlue

5 people is the max limit for a party? That's not awful for PvE (still a little too small for my tastes) but I don't know what they were expecting for WvW.

Also all of the semantics arguments in this thread are even more ridiculous and pointless than a lot of other arguments I've seen on NeoGAF.

Ferrio

Banned
5 people is the max limit for a party? That's not awful for PvE (still a little too small for my tastes) but I don't know what they were expecting for WvW.

Also all of the semantics arguments in this thread are even more ridiculous and pointless than a lot of other arguments I've seen on NeoGAF.

No you can form bigger parties in WvW, but you need commander status which is 100g.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Work for it =/= doing 100+ events per piece of gear. That's where the problem lies. It's not like all you do with karma is buy those pieces, right? Your personal story ends too, so it's not like that is a great option for acquiring karma.
If you're saying it will take a really long time I hear you. You can obtain karma in WvW and by assisting other in their personal stories as well, however.
You can form squads in WvW with their own chat channel, but you need 100g to elect a commander.

Mims

So for the three 80 dungeons why do they all have seperate currency? Seems kinda stupid. Only 44 runs to get all the gear I need just only playing one dungeon can't mix and match. I really love this game but they really need to fix the endgame PvE.

No, that's character progress. Grind is repeating the exact same action over and over. You're fucking batshit insane if you think you'll find an MMO that'll just hand you everything for free endgame.

Lol, I'm not expecting that. But when Anet says 'no grind' I'd like to believe that's true, but it's not. And if you think doing DE's at end level is any different than repeating endgame in raids in say, WoW, then you have had too much Anet koolaid.

Ferrio

Banned
Does commander status give anything else? 100g is a lot....

Lol, I'm not. And if you think doing DE's at end level is any different than repeating endgame in raids in say, WoW, then you have had too much Anet koolaid.

I'm thinking more about WvW. That is endgame, and like i said.. if you weren't planning on spending a good portion of your time there then yes... you will end up grinding the same events over and over.

Sethos

Banned
I'm thinking more about WvW. That is endgame, and like i said.. if you weren't planning on spending a good portion of your time there then yes... you will end up grinding the same events over and over.

Hard to spend a good amount of time on anything with that kind of queue time :|

Lol, I'm not expecting that. But when Anet says 'no grind' I'd like to believe that's true, but it's not. And if you think doing DE's at end level is any different than repeating endgame in raids in say, WoW, then you have had too much Anet koolaid.

Ferrio

Banned
Hard to spend a good amount of time on anything with that kind of queue time :|

Ya a shame. I still think that there'll be less queues as time goes by, dolak nerf should of helped some too.

That doesn't really seem worth it considering you can ping areas. Well, there's the party thing at least.

Actually it's pretty helpful. Open the map screen, instantly know where the commander (and most likely people following him/her) are.

But Anet said endgame starts at level 1...

I'm messing with you there, but yeah I guess we were arguing different things. I'm a pure PvE player so WvWvW won't be my go-to activity.

Ferrio

Banned
But Anet said endgame starts at level 1...

I'm messing with you there, but yeah I guess we were arguing different things. I'm a pure PvE player so WvWvW won't be my go-to activity.

I did my fair share of warning people pre-release that if you were strictly PvE you might be disappointed, so I tried.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Typically you'd get a bunch of people to decide on a commander and contribute. If everyone in the gaf guild split it evenly it'd be 16 cooper each :p

Palmer_v1

That doesn't really seem worth it considering you can ping areas. Well, there's the party thing at least.

Exactly, you can only ping something for 4 others at a time as it stands right now. It'd be nice if we could funnel some funds to Franklin or Hawkian or another common WvW person to get them commander. I certainly don't expect anyone to spend their OWN 100G on it.

Just being in Mumble with everyone gets around a lot of these issues though.

LuchaShaq

Banned
My main question in this game.

If all I do is solo and occasionally small groups with total randoms will I have fun or will it be like vanilla/burning crusade wow where giant raids were amazing (if you ignore the pain in the ass logistics) but solo was awful?

I have no interest in MMO PVP.

Ken

Are any of the huge boss fights any good?

Good for tears.

"why I no get medal anet fail they need to fix this arghhh!"
"I revive and heal everybody why I get no chest :<"
"you guys need to be at least on level to have a chance at medal."
"I'm 6 levels under and I got medal because I just sit back and pew pew haahahhaahaha."

Heard these at Shatterer and Balthazar. I do think they need to fix it a bit, especially the Balthazar one since the quest leading up to it is kind of long and it has to be disappointing for anyone who stuck with it to not get anything. I guess it's designed to prevent people from sniping easy chests (like everyone at Shatterer who doesn't help with pre event and just waits at landing zone) but the chests haven't been that great anyways.

In other news I'm having fun wih my new engineer.

Sethos

Banned

If all I do is solo and occasionally small groups with total randoms will I have fun or will it be like vanilla/burning crusade wow where giant raids were amazing (if you ignore the pain in the ass logistics) but solo was awful?

In my opinion, if you aren't into PvP this isn't the game for you. PvE is lacking in many ways and quickly gets stale.

You won't like it.

Ken

God, please don't listen to them :-[

But it's kind of true.

I hit 80 and I have nothing I really want to do. I don't PvP and I don't want to grind dungeon tokens or Karma points at Ruins with a Zerg group, as fun as it is. I dislike crafting too so I don't really want to go that route for gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom