• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Thanks!

Refreshing to see an honest no in an official thread. Usually anything but OMG hype gets shouted down/trolled around here lately.

One thing to note PvP is different in this game, least WvW is. It's unlike most MMO pvps. You have seige weapons, you attack keeps/defend keeps etc. It's quite a lot of fun, and even if you aren't hardcore about PvP you can contribute pretty well. There's sPvP in the game too which is more standard to other MMOs.

I'd still say the PvE is good, but it's not going to have the long lasting mode that WoW Raids have. If you're just happy running around killing shit and questing then I'd say you're fine.

jono51

Banned
Am I missing it or is there no option to save builds & trait allocations? Would really help when switching between specs in pvp.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
My main question in this game.

If all I do is solo and occasionally small groups with total randoms will I have fun or will it be like vanilla/burning crusade wow where giant raids were amazing (if you ignore the pain in the ass logistics) but solo was awful?

I have no interest in MMO PVP.
I almost always solo and I'm kind of addicted to this game.

The major thing it has going for it is that due to XP being shared evenly amongst those who haven't grouped up, a person alone can jump into a group event and suddenly be part of the team. Take down the enemy, then not have to sit there wondering what to do next. Because you're not actually partied up you can still run off and do your own thing.

The game is very friendly to the solo player, especially with the personal storyline quests. The only time it isn't solo friendly is when a boss spawns who can't even be solo'd by a clever player - some enemies need 10+ people pounding on it.

If all I do is solo and occasionally small groups with total randoms will I have fun or will it be like vanilla/burning crusade wow where giant raids were amazing (if you ignore the pain in the ass logistics) but solo was awful?

I mainly PvE as well and I enjoyed the game but now that I finished the story quest for my 1st character there is not much to do in terms of PvE unless you want to do the same events over and over. WvW is pretty fun but that queue is usually killer. Probably just going to start another character.

Artanisix

Just cleared AC Explore in 20 minutes :). Really getting a hold on these dungeons now!

I completely re-traited my Warrior and spent some money regearing him too. We make over 60s every clear of AC Explore with no wipes, and I even found a sweet White Dye that sold on the TP for 1.1 gold. Feels like this is definitely the most profitable way to farm. Plus Ascalonian Tears for sweet, sweet weapon skins. I can't overstate how important crowd control and sustain is in dungeons. Massive amounts of toughness, vit, healing power, and regen make for a muuuuuuuuch smoother dungeon run.

Just cleared AC Explore in 20 minutes :). Really getting a hold on these dungeons now!

I completely re-traited my Warrior and spent some money regearing him too. We make over 60s every clear of AC Explore with no wipes, and I even found a sweet White Dye that sold on the TP for 1.1 gold. Feels like this is definitely the most profitable way to farm. Plus Ascalonian Tears for sweet, sweet weapon skins. I can't overstate how important crowd control and sustain is in dungeons. Massive amounts of toughness, vit, healing power, and regen make for a muuuuuuuuch smoother dungeon run.

Curious, what's your trait build?

My personal story was blocked due to a bug, so I ended up finishing AC Story Mode before I got the letter in the mail about AC after progressing my story. Do I need to do AC Story Mode again for any reason? I never found an answer to that.

I would really like to start doing Explorable Mode now that I'm level 36.

Wait if you pay the 100g to form a squadron, only one player gets to use that ability? So if that guild mate isn't on, we can't form a squadron? Do guilds not have any such option to always be able to form up one or we going to have to splurge to buy multiple officers the commander status?

Thanks!

Refreshing to see an honest no in an official thread. Usually anything but OMG hype gets shouted down/trolled around here lately.

Just because it's an honest opinion, doesn't make it true. I had no interest in the PvP, and I've enjoyed the game just playing by myself, or running with randoms that I see on the horizon. The solo in this game is amazing.

But there are a lot of jaded wet blankets currently looking for any excuse to whine, or to pretend the game is something it's not to people who ask for their opinions.

Don't buy into the hype, but don't buy into people being asshats either.

vaelic

Banned
Guild Wars 2 Dungeon Tips

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/09/05/guild-wars-2-dungeon-tips.aspx

ArenaNet’s brand-new MMO sends the traditional tank/heal/damage MMORPG trinity packing in favor of a positioning-based system that puts each player in charge of their own health. Here are a few pointers to help you get through Guild Wars 2’s five-person dungeons without the comfort of a familiar role to play.

Move out of the way.

This one may seem obvious, but it bears repeating. Just like in any World of Warcraft raid boss encounter, every player needs to be aware of their surroundings at all times and avoid any incoming damage that they possibly can. This goes beyond the classic “don’t stand in the fire” tip; even though hostile area-of-effect abilities usually put a red circle on the ground, you need to watch enemy animations and attack patterns and dodge appropriately. As a general rule, spread out around the bad guys -- many if not most attacks are cone- or line-based, and even if you can’t dodge out of the way entirely, making sure the entire party doesn’t eat the big attack helps tremendously.

make them play your game instead of theirs. Elementalists tear your party apart if left alone – why not get them to run up right next to your melee friends for a more intimate conversation about the relative merits of long channeled spells and barrages of sword strikes?

More at the link

Lol, I'm not expecting that. But when Anet says 'no grind' I'd like to believe that's true, but it's not. And if you think doing DE's at end level is any different than repeating endgame in raids in say, WoW, then you have had too much Anet koolaid.

I think you have misunderstood the philosophy of GW which is the same as it was in GW1.

The difference is if you have to grind versus want to grind. Just like GW1 there are lots of players who want and need to have long term stuff to do. The difference from WoW is that you wont get steamrolled in Guild Wars because your not grinding for uber gear. Thats what they mean about it.

That gear is not for you then. That doesn't make the end game a grind. The very activity of doing it without being forced to do something grindy. long term repetitive investment to remain competitive is removed. Grind is optional.
With the dye systems and transmutation stones, and the great selection of armors overall in the game you got a good incentive to make a great looking character with just as good stats without any of that massive grind effort. But just because there is skins offered for those OCD players who abbsolutely need to have these things, just like GW1 had things like 15K armors. It's not needed.

Thats what they mean by no grind. It's completely unfair to be so entitled and project your own longing for some skins like you can reinforce some holy stigma on the rest of the game. If your argument is that the dungeons suck or the world events in Orr are not fun to do at all or more than once at 80 or post 80, then that's another issue entirely and you might be right. Im just saying that the end-game is grind because of some gear is not fair.

Pound for pound I've never seen a game that gives so much xp for things like picking flowers or smelting ore or doing jumping puzzles or doing achievements or RvvR. You get lots of options to be rewarded. Both as an explorer, as a crafter, as a PvE and as a PvP guy. Don't be unfair.

But Anet said endgame starts at level 1...

I'm messing with you there, but yeah I guess we were arguing different things. I'm a pure PvE player so WvWvW won't be my go-to activity.

End game starts at lvl 1 is a reference to games like WoW were you do quests from 1-85 just to get to the end game to do things like Arena and Raids. The've said that they dont think its okay that you need to play the game a certain way just to experience a completely different end game. the idea is that you do the same activirty at lvl 1 as you do at 80. it doesnt matter. scaling system.

But it's kind of true.

I hit 80 and I have nothing I really want to do. I don't PvP and I don't want to grind dungeon tokens or Karma points at Ruins with a Zerg group, as fun as it is. I dislike crafting too so I don't really want to go that route for gear.

well, thats too bad. Crafting and PvP are significant parts of the game. Anet can only hope you got your money worth and you will be ready for the next campaign or time the add more content. maybe you will want to do some achievements, get some more skill points to see if you can get a legendary weapon or see what the mystic forge can cook up? but they can only make so much content. I'm sure you will agree that it's not Anets fault that you dont like crafting or pvp. They are major game systems after all.

Just because it's an honest opinion, doesn't make it true. I had no interest in the PvP, and I've enjoyed the game just playing by myself, or running with randoms that I see on the horizon. The solo in this game is amazing.

But there are a lot of jaded wet blankets currently looking for any excuse to whine, or to pretend the game is something it's not to people who ask for their opinions.

What is a jaded wet blanket?

erragal

Each dungeon have a unique set of equipment available correct? Is it exotic?

Its appearance only with garbage stats for the most part. Unless you're asura and you have approximately six armor sets for each type in the game.

I'm genuinely curious what happened to all the asura armor models I saw previewed before the game came out; that's been my biggest disappointment with the game. I'm ok that 80 pve is about an appearance grind... but that has no value when there are so few to choose from. Cultural armor is also excessively expensive as well...clearly designed to get that gem for gold market rolling!

etiolate

Banned

There's a lot of fun to be had exploring and seeing the world. Plus, you can fight those giant cool raid like bosses without all the raid group bullshit.

What is a jaded wet blanket?

mJ2Ck.jpg

Sethos

Banned

Love posts like these. "SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING I DON'T AGREE WITH, LET ME CALL THEM WHINERS AND PRETEND I'M A BETTER PERSON."

Ken

well, thats too bad. Crafting and PvP are significant parts of the game. Anet can only hope you got your money worth and you will be ready for the next campaign or time the add more content. maybe you will want to do some achievements, get some more skill points to see if you can get a legendary weapon or see what the mystic forge can cook up? but they can only make so much content. I'm sure you will agree that it's not Anets fault that you dont like crafting or pvp. They are major game systems after all.

Yeah, I'm not blaming anyone. I was just hoping that this would be an MMO where I could have fun without doing PvP or crafting.

My favorite thing to do in Tera was to just grind through the same dungeon not because of some dungeon tokens but because the combat was pretty fun. It was like playing an action game where each battle could go a bit differently because you always had different people with you. Here...I don't know. I'm going to take thetrin's advice and run through the dungeons more on my engineer; maybe it's just bad parties that soured my dungeon experiences.

Don’t give up.

A party wipe isn’t always a wipe. Don’t just pound your desk in frustration when you get downed – fight on! Find an enemy that is close to death and hit it from the ground, and you can often rally thanks to the amount of area-effect damage that parties usually throw around. Failing that, being resurrected in combat when fully defeated usually takes too long to be worthwhile -- but you can usually rally to a waypoint and run back to continue the battle. Running back to rejoin the fight after being killed may seem like a cheap tactic, but I’ve seen it be the difference between victory and defeat on several occasions.

I dislike when the game is kind of designed where you're expected to go down. @_@

etiolate

Banned
I'm really surprised by the karma costs of lvl 80 exotic gear, it can take like 30 hours for a single piece.

This is my problem with their reaction to the rush. They upped Karma costs on a lot of stuff when everyone started consuming the content quickly. I don't want their answer to gamelife extension to be grind. The game is fun on its own, they don't really need to do that.

"Its appearance only with garbage stats for the most part. Unless you're asura and you have approximately six armor sets for each type in the game."

There's two tabs on the token armor vendors. The second tab has level 80 exotics for dungeons after CM and you can choose somewhat what stats you want on the gear. Stats aren't garbage in the slightest, it's legit stuff.

zlatko

Banned
So my main is a GRD, but I am itching to try a sub class. I've played all the classes except mesmer, ele, and ranger.

Classes I'm interested in:

Thief
Elementalist
Engineer

Currently leaning towards the Ele the most, and a Sylvari one at that, but my issue with Sylvari is that all their armor just looks so drastically different than the other races when they wear the same armor and I can't find enough pics of them online in various gear to determine if they look decent in light armor or not for my tastes. I know Sylvari look bad ass in medium armors, so that's why I may roll a Thief instead.

This is my problem with their reaction to the rush. They upped Karma costs on a lot of stuff when everyone started consuming the content quickly. I don't want their answer to gamelife extension to be grind. The game is fun on its own, they don't really need to do that.

Those prices are insane...what is it like 42k karma for one piece /facepalm

erragal

"Its appearance only with garbage stats for the most part. Unless you're asura and you have approximately six armor sets for each type in the game."

There's two tabs on the token armor vendors. The second tab has level 80 exotics for dungeons after CM and you can choose somewhat what stats you want on the gear. Stats aren't garbage in the slightest, it's legit stuff.

That's nice info... but do the Level 80 exotics have the asura armor models still?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, I'm not blaming anyone. I was just hoping that this would be an MMO where I could have fun without doing PvP or crafting.

My favorite thing to do in Tera was to just grind through the same dungeon not because of some dungeon tokens but because the combat was pretty fun. It was like playing an action game where each battle could go a bit differently because you always had different people with you. Here...I don't know. I'm going to take thetrin's advice and run through the dungeons more on my engineer; maybe it's just bad parties that soured my dungeon experiences.

I dislike when the game is kind of designed where you're expected to go down. @_@

It's not. If you're getting downed more than once in a dungeon, someone on your team is trash, or you're all doing something terribly wrong (or it's your first time and you don't know the encounters yet)

Your initial thought is correct. You're playing in crap groups.

The dungeons are challenging. That's all there is to it. Easy dungeons are not better, they're just easier, and it's the victory you end up enjoying, rather than the fight to get that victory. That's partly why I don't like CM. it's stupidly easy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Speaking of the guild, what's the means we go through to display the GAF symbol on armor? Also, do we just need to hit level 35 and have the money for the backpack?
You in overflow? There are two more upgrades we need- an emblem, and the ability to put stuff on armor.

zlatko

Banned
You in overflow? There are two more upgrades we need- an emblem, and the ability to put stuff on armor.

Oh okay so we just aren't leveled up enough as a guild. Gotcha.

I'm not online right now, I'm in the guild however. I'm zoutlaw in the game.

I'll be on in like 3ish hours. :D

Shambles

I wish we could change our characters appearance after creation. I knew going max height would make me tall, i didn't realize I'd be several times the height of other people.

"That's nice info... but do the Level 80 exotics have the asura armor models still?"

Not sure I understand what you mean. The exotics have a different appearance from the rare token gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom