• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milly79

It's not. If you're getting downed more than once in a dungeon, someone on your team is trash, or you're all doing something terribly wrong (or it's your first time and you don't know the encounters yet)

Okay, so everyone I've played with is trash by your logic. 1 down per run is a bit ridiculous. Try again.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I cannot decide if i want to go with a necromancer or a warrior. I love the way the warrior plays but i feel like the necromancer will have more uses and versatility based on its powers. If you were to choose one which would you start with?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I cannot decide if i want to go with a necromancer or a warrior. I love the way the warrior plays but i feel like the necromancer will have more uses and versatility based on its powers. If you were to choose one which would you start with?

Do both. It's what I did.

Just wanted to drop by and say Hi, enjoying the game. I think it is a good fun game not great or excellent. Excited on what changes Anet thinks off later on. Want my friends to level so we can tackle more dungeons (our guild got deleted yesterday for some reason but now it is back up).
Feel kinda burnt, not as excited as I was a week ago but will continue on my journey and try other classes and will also play less. So here is to you Boardgames <3.

zlatko

Banned

Actually Warrior has a lot of versatility simply due to so many weapon options for them.

A lot of the necros I see floating around tend to stick with a lot of the same abilities or at least I can see the same 3 types of creatures summoned on a regular basis.

I'd opt for the warrior myself---especially a Charr or Human one for bad ass looks. ;D

Can someone list the full differences between Story Mode and Exploration Mode for dungeons? I'm blocked from every site showing up on google. Appreciate it!

You can throw me in the group upset about equipment being gimped in dungeons. I'm legitimately lvl 71, haven't even touched crafting of any sort just spent plenty of time playing the game. I promised my RL friends I'd wait for them on the dungeons. They finally hit the 30's so we go in the other night and I'm just gimped beyond belief because my equipment isn't quite the level I am. I don't like blowing money or karma on this stuff when I get drops regularly enough to get through the game. I have no problem crushing enemies at my level or one or two over so why should I shell out my resources for armor my level just for a dungeon? It was a horrible horrible decision and there's no defending it. Let me play the way I want to play, ANet.

That said, I absolutely love the hell out of this game. It's incredibly addictive, you level up effortlessly just from playing, no need to grind in any shape or form which is great. The world completely enraptures you and underwater exploration is like entering a second world. It's so large and natural feeling, the entrance into the ocean or back out of it is seamless and the sound and effects underwater are very satisfying as I'm certified in scuba diving and appreciate the nuisances. Everything is gorgeous, skills are fantastic to behold and I love how the game is structured so that you can complete everything in a zone (I'm a completion-ist) yet you can do things in any order you like (level permitting). I'm also an achievement whore so love seeing those guys pop up and get a chuckle out of my character's comment every time I make progress on one. The zones feel very varied if you bounce around the racial territories and there's great diversity in life forms inhabiting the regions. Story mode is a pleasant surprise in terms of the plot actually being compelling and oh boy do I love how many choices you have to create re-playability and have different experiences from your friends that you can share. There's so much more I could say of this game but I'm a bit tied up at work, just waiting for something to finish loading.

TLDR: I fing LOVE this game!

Puckmarin

Banned
So I just bought the digital download edition of the game and I'm attempting to download it from Arena.net. It downloads fine for 15 - 20 minutes and then seems to drop the connection. Anyone else having this problem? Normally I can download digital copies of games with no issues...

Yep that's how I read it.

Nah, Sethos took it too personally. That's what happens when opinions get mistaken for facts. No such thing as an "honest opinion".

I think solo rocks, Sethos thinks it sucks, and the court of public opinion generally doesn't care, since it's all confirmation bias anyway.

I really don't care that Sethos thinks it sucks. No caps lock needed. I do think some people doth whine too much, but so it goes. This is NeoGAF after all, where you're either a fanboy, or a hater, and there's no room for middleground since everything is hyper-polarized.

The only winner is the person enjoying the game, and likely not reading these threads. :p

You can set your watch by these OT sometimes: Anticipation, Hype, Collaboration, Jaded Aftershock, Burnout, Off To Community With You.

Jack_AG

Banned
So I just bought the digital download edition of the game and I'm attempting to download it from Arena.net. It downloads fine for 15 - 20 minutes and then seems to drop the connection. Anyone else having this problem? Normally I can download digital copies of games with no issues...

I recall some issues the downloader has with firewalls.

Puckmarin

Banned
I recall some issues the downloader has with firewalls.

I turned off my firewall and that doesn't seem to help *much.*

The download starts out just fine at about 3.5 MB/sec but within 10-15 minutes it's at 300 KB/sec so I have to keep exiting the program and starting the download again.

Jack_AG

Banned
Nah, Sethos too personally. That's what happens when opinions get mistaken for facts. No such thing as an "honest opinion".

I think solo rocks, Sethos thinks it sucks, and the court of public opinion generally doesn't care, since it's all confirmation bias anyway.

I really don't care that Sethos thinks it sucks. No caps lock needed. I do think some people doth whine too much, but so it goes. This is NeoGAF after all, where you're either a fanboy, or a hater, and there's no room for middleground since everything is hyper-polarized.

The only winner is the person enjoying the game, and likely not reading these threads. :p

You can set your watch by these OT sometimes: Anticipation, Hype, Collaboration, Jaded Aftershock, Burnout, Off To Community With You.

But... you called people "asshats".

And now you're going to talk like you're on the high road?

What the fuck am I reading here?

Jack_AG

Banned
There are droves of people willing to defend this game to the death.

That's perfectly fine. It's when that defensive base starts calling people asshats for not sharing their opinion that everything begins to fall apart.

Just because one can't empathise with either side does not mean its time to start bashing their character by slinging mud.

Jack_AG

Banned
There are droves of people complaining about how the game doesn't adhere to wow's design, design philosophy, and playstyle. It's not uncommon.

Link me those very posts here in GAF. I know I did a bit of complaining and mentioned WoW's design because I simply find GW2 to be just as grind-y and almost as spec-driven as WoW. I made my comparison as in "not far enough away from WoW's design".

zlatko

Banned
I'm not sure how I'll feel about this game come end game, but I can safely say this is my favorite MMO I've played since Final Fantasy XI back in the day. Love the art design, love the environments, the music, armor design, character design, battle system, and the story portion.

I'm only level 21 though. I find normal quests dull as shit, but oh well. No real opinion on WvW since I've only gotten in twice, and the 2nd time it was 100% empty no matter where I went. Tried to follow others from the starting area, but we never went anywhere. I picked stormbluff Isle WvW, so that may have hard something to do with it. I found regular PvP to be much funner. :)

Game is great, and just different enough for me to want to dive in every night I can. Will it last? Maybe. I've got FFXIV 2.0 in the future that could dethrone it as my go to MMO, and GW2 I can always jump back into thanks to free to play unlike FFXIV.

etiolate

Banned
To people looking to upgrade their armor pre-80, the Trading Post has a ton of Rare quality weapons and armor that you can get for 7-10 silver. They might not have the runes you want, but you can buy the rune separately on the TP as well. The Minor Sigil of Bloodlust is like 79 copper when I got it.

Also, when you transmute items, you can transmute three things. The look of the item, the base stats of the item, and the rune. If you have a rune you like on one item, but a new item that dropped for you has better stats but a shitty rune, you can use the transmute stone to choose the stats of the new item with the rune of the old item. This is a more reliable way of getting a rune off an item than the higher end salvage kits. Of course, it only works for two alike items. (As in, two light armor leggings or two heavy armor helms.)

Achtius

Instead of relying on luck, sell every blue and green item you find and buy the item you want from TP. Salvage white tho ;P

Ferrio

Banned
I'm only level 21 though. I find normal quests dull as shit, but oh well. No real opinion on WvW since I've only gotten in twice, and the 2nd time it was 100% empty no matter where I went. Tried to follow others from the starting area, but we never went anywhere. I picked stormbluff Isle WvW, so that may have hard something to do with it. I found regular PvP to be much funner. :)

I find the Home server borderland the dullest to play in. The walk to the action is usually a very long one.

Deitus

Also, when you transmute items, you can transmute three things. The look of the item, the base states of the item, and the rune. If you have a rune you like on one item, but a new item that dropped for you has better stats but a shitty rune, you can use the transmute stone to choose the stats of the new item with the rune of the old item.

Oh wow, I've been saving my Trans stones so I didn't know about that. That's good to hear. I was thinking the only way to get a rune/sigil off an item was to salvage it, and that always runs the risk of losing the upgrade unless you use a perfect salvage kit. Trans stones seem like a much less risky (or cheaper if you want 100%) option.

Though that raises the question: how does one get more transmutation stones if you use all of them? I know you get a some from clearing out new zones, and they occasionally show up in chests, but if you need one right now, is there any way to get one other than buying one with gems?

Ferrio

Banned
Oh wow, I've been saving my Trans stones so I didn't know about that. That's good to hear. I was thinking the only way to get a rune/sigil off an item was to salvage it, and that always runs the risk of losing the upgrade unless you use a perfect salvage kit. Trans stones seem like a much less risky (or cheaper if you want 100%) option.

Though that raises the question: how does one get more transmutation stones if you use all of them? I know you get a some from clearing out new zones, and they occasionally show up in chests, but if you need one right now, is there any way to get one other than buying one with gems?

No point in saving the basic ones anyways. They only work on lvl 79 items and below.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Link me those very posts here in GAF. I know I did a bit of complaining and mentioned WoW's design because I simply find GW2 to be just as grind-y and almost as spec-driven as WoW. I made my comparison as in "not far enough away from WoW's design".

Sorry, don't take it personally but I really don't want to. It was pages back and while it wasn't explicit, people opted to complain about how GW2 fails to do something right and assumed the alternative was better, which was what WoW does. Like I said, don't take it personally. I really just don't want to look for posts and such. My point was that people are always going to compare games.

Story = easymode (with story about Destinys Edge)
Explorer mode = drinks you alive (but gives you tokens for loot if you beat it)

I know it's considered harder because it's lvl 35 recommend (will be easier for me since I'm higher level) but is there different content in the dungeon? It said I completed one of four paths beating story mode and I'm wondering if the dungeon is a lot longer in exploration and you hit the other three paths in one go? What are tokens? are they used in the in-game store that's rarely up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom