• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can anyone answer this?
No one can fully answer it, it'd be outrageously long :p

Story mode tells the story of the guild of heroes Destiny's Edge, who totally need to get their shit together

Explorable mode is presented as a "what comes after" but really it's an uberhard, different experience with three more paths/bosses per dungeon.
I know it's considered harder because it's lvl 35 recommend (will be easier for me since I'm higher level) but is there different content in the dungeon? It said I completed one of four paths beating story mode and I'm wondering if the dungeon is a lot longer in exploration and you hit the other three paths in one go? What are tokens? are they used in the in-game store that's rarely up?
The content is all different.

You cannot hit the other three paths in one go, you have you choose (actually vote) on a path.

It's much harder than just 5 levels worth of difficulty scaling.

Tokens are used to buy armor unique to that dungeon, it has nothing to do with the trading post.

The trading post is up for good.

Aeris130

I know it's considered harder because it's lvl 35 recommend (will be easier for me since I'm higher level) but is there different content in the dungeon? It said I completed one of four paths beating story mode and I'm wondering if the dungeon is a lot longer in exploration and you hit the other three paths in one go? What are tokens? are they used in the in-game store that's rarely up?

Levels have nothing to do with it. Explorer mode is harder. Each dungeon has multiple explorer paths with different content, giving some replayability (it's not just a repeat of story mode with bigger numbers). Each dungeon drops its own unique token that can be exchanged for dungeon-exclusive gear in that (and only that) dungeon.

XeroSauce

Levels have nothing to do with it. Explorer mode is harder. Each dungeon has multiple explorer paths with different content, giving some replayability (it's not just a repeat of story mode with bigger numbers). Each dungeon drops its own unique token that can be exchanged for dungeon-exclusive gear in that (and only that) dungeon.

Where do you track how many tokens you get? I saw the merchants in Lion's Arch but that's the only way I could tell.

J-Rzez

I salvage white, sell blue, and mystic forge the greens personally.

Since you use it, or maybe someone else can explain it, I haven't tried to use the mystic forge yet. What are it's benefits and what's the best way to use it? I had one guide bookmarked but it doesn't exist anymore.

There are droves of people complaining about how the game doesn't adhere to wow's design, design philosophy, and playstyle. It's not uncommon.

Someone doesn't like something in the game doesn't mean they are a WoW fan or even want to play WoW. It's tired to keep seeing this attitude in here when someone doesn't like something the game does, that they are somehow put in another camp as if it was some kind of us versus them type situation. Or the continual nonsense "of this game isn't for you" type of posts.

No one can fully answer it, it'd be outrageously long :p

Story mode tells the story of the guild of heroes Destiny's Edge, who totally need to get their shit together

Explorable mode is presented as a "what comes after" but really it's an uberhard, different experience with three more paths/bosses per dungeon.

The content is all different.

You cannot hit the other three paths in one go, you have you choose (actually vote) on a path.

It's much harder than just 5 levels worth of difficulty scaling.

Tokens are used to buy armor unique to that dungeon, it has nothing to do with the trading post.

The trading post is up for good.

That's great that you don't do a re-hash and then go deeper afterwards. Glad it's all new content. So what makes it harder then? more enemies? I can't imagine they're that much stronger if they only recommend 5 levels higher. Armor exclusive to that dungeon probably means they are level 30-40 armor? Which would be useless to me unless it's awesome aesthetically and I can use the trans stone. Still cool and I'm sure it would have been useful if I played the dungeon at the level it's set to.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Someone doesn't like something in the game doesn't mean they are a WoW fan or even want to play WoW. It's tired to keep seeing this attitude in here when someone doesn't like something the game does, that they are somehow put in another camp as if it was some kind of us versus them type situation. Or the continual nonsense "of this game isn't for you" type of posts.

Oh I know. It's when people reference WoW designs and design philosophies that I get upset. I know some people jump the gun but I refrain from commenting until they get out of line. I've recognized several people on GAF who didn't like the game because of what it did. I don't jump on every single person who doesn't like the game and attribute it to WoW. That's hasty generalization and it's stupid.

etiolate

Banned
Harder hitting enemies, more enemies, and new situations.

When I did CM Explore with Gaffers, there was a room with a hallway, and at the end of the hallway was a miniboss of sorts. In the middle of the hallway was two riflemen. Next to the boss was a net turret. There were two rooms along the hallway. The first room had a bunch of turrets by the door and the second room had extra mobs. So it was a bit of a gauntlet that's not in Story mode.

Deitus

Should we lie to people and tell them they will like the game more in another 100 hours? Should we tell them that ArenaNet is totally going to change everything about the game that they don't like and make this game into the game they want it to be?

There are certainly many legitimate complaints to be made about this game, and plenty of room for improvement. But when someone comes in and says they hate the combat, hate the level scaling, hate the events, have no interest in PVP, and are pissed at the absence of raiding and mounts, this is clearly not the game they were looking for. Simple as that.

suko_32

I hope this guy is banned for spamming me and I'm assuming others.

QUtTe.jpg

FinKL

I salvage white, sell blue, and mystic forge the greens personally.

I've been salvaging white, blue, and green =/ What can you do with the greens on mystic forge? I thought Mystic Coins were needed so thats why i've been just salvaging the greens

Deitus

I've been salvaging white, blue, and green =/ What can you do with the greens on mystic forge? I thought Mystic Coins were needed so thats why i've been just salvaging the greens

You can use greens in the mystic forge same as blues and whites.

Edit: Read your post wrong, thought you said you were using mystic forge on whites and blues.

suko_32

When you throw up 4 Greens into the Mystic Forge, it'll spit out 1 random yellow for you.

Ferrio

Banned

It's not exclusive to greens. You can take 4 items of the same rarity, stick them into the mystic forge and it'll give you a new item of that rarity or better.

It's a big gambling machine pretty much.

Mystic forge does do other things though like you mentioned. There's unique recipes (like making seige weapons that you can't buy the battlegrounds), transmuting a lower tier crafting item into a higher tier... etc.

FinKL

Ahh, thanks guys!!! So to me, it seems to be like Diablo2's Horadric Cube which sounds good. Just another place to dump items if materials aren't a concern.

XeroSauce

Ahh, thanks guys!!! So to me, it seems to be like Diablo2's Horadric Cube which sounds good. Just another place to dump items if materials aren't a concern.

You never want to salvage greens because the vendor price is more then enough to simply buy the mats that you would've gotten by salvage, on the Trading Post.

Absinthe

All this talk of how PvE is boring, old, or not what people expected is strange to me.

I must be playing a different game because so far (lvl 33) PvE has been really fun. Playing with friends, completing dynamic events, hearts, and 100% areas is a great time.

There is no rush to "level", frankly I never even look at my current level amount because who gives a crap. As long as the game is fun I don't care what level I am unless there is an area that is too difficult for my current level. Sometimes I will just run around with the HUD off, headphones on, admiring the world Anet has created. Much like skyrim, I'm just playing the game, not worrying about following every little thing, but experiencing content as it shows up.

Human personal story has been pretty good too, you get decent gear and experience from each "mission". By the end of just one character I should have around 85 hrs in the game (currently at 40 hrs, lvl 33). And even if I never touch PvP or WvW, or never start another type of character and explore their areas, 85+ hrs for $60, yeah I'm ok with that.

Sure it's an MMO and has some generic MMO stuff in it, but if you didn't want to play an MMO then why pick it up? I really don't get what people were expecting of GW2.

TopDreg

Played WvWvW for nearly 5 hours today on Stormbluff. Most fun I've had in a while. Just dominating on Eternal, with everyone wanting to contribute to the effort.

inky

No point in saving the basic ones anyways. They only work on lvl 79 items and below.

Tell me about it, I've got 50 of them and nothing to do haha. They say account bound, so maybe I'll use them on alts to look cool since lvl 1.

Speaking of, I kind of want to try a hunter as my first alt. I played some in the 1st BWE and didn't like it as much, but I can just pretend I'm playing pokemon and collecting all these animals at least.

I throw four greens into a mystic forge and I get another shitty green.

When you get a yellow it feels pretty good though =D

Ferrio

Banned
Going to get crushed by Hedge. TA has guilds covering every time of day. Even if we did well during the day, we'd get dominated at night.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'll probably be on in a couple of hours. Is there a euro guild yet or should I just join USGAF?

The Euro GAFfers are officially on Gandara, but you would have to join GAFO (GAF Overflow) as the main guild is already full (500 cap, sadly).

There is no guild dedicated to US and Euro.

EDIT:

This is also probably extremely late. I thought I refreshed after I got back to my computer, but your question was probably on an older page.

Piecake

Ive been vendoring everything that does not get me leather or cloth. I have a stupid amount of ore and logs, and seems like you get more money from vendoring right now than you would if you sold the mats

I throw four greens into a mystic forge and I get another shitty green.

Id only do 4 of the same kind of green. Ive had much better luck that way. 4 random greens is a complete crap shoot, and youd simply be a lot better off vendoring it all

eek5

Can you remove and get back sigils?

You can salvage back a sigil (black lion salvage kit 100% recovery, master is 80%) but you destroy the item.

You can transmute item and transfer sigil from one same-type item to another same-type item (100% success but it will destroy one item)

You can replace sigil for free but it destroys slotted sigil.

edit: One thing to keep in mind is that black lion salvage costs ~3s12c per use and master costs 61c per use so only use it if the sigil is worth more than that
edit2: I might've misread your post. If you're talking about the back accessory slot it uses the jewel upgrades not sigils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom