• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am having such a hard time as a Necromancer in PvP. I feel completely useless to the team at the moment. Definitely can see having to switch with staffs but man, I just don't know.

It's not easy. I'm doing a conditionmancer in sPvP right now and find myself in a world of hurt. The super high burst damage that most classes are running in with simply outweigh any sort of healing and regen we can establish. Combine that with the slight delay associated with skills and the lackluster state of life leech and it's even worse.

I've been using scepter/dagger with corruption skills and lich form at the moment. I need to play with a skill to swap for some sort of additional utility I think. It's all about figuring out how the class can manage with such low burst options on the table. DoTs are great in PvE, bug PvP feels tougher at the moment.

There IS a minion master build out there that people are tweaking, so you may explore the Internet for that to try out?

Arksy

wow Henge of Denravi is beating both Jade and Stormbluff badly :| first time I've seen us in third place lol

You guys are actually doing quite well. HoD has a really good Oceanic timezone group so expect the margin to increase overnight but word on HoD is that JQ and SI are respect worthy.

I can't believe I missed on Elementalist, that guy is a powerhouse right from the start. New main here I come!

Also helps it has a kicking-ass name "The Eternal King", was going to give it to my Necro, but played him for a few levels and meh.

The burst from Elementalist is insane!

Ferrio

Banned
You guys are actually doing quite well. HoD has a really good Oceanic timezone group so expect the margin to increase overnight but word on HoD is that JQ and SI are respect worthy.

Ya except I just saw some stupid shit we did on our borderlands. We split, one group was attacking the JD quarry keep the other Hedge. THEN they split in two halves at the hedge keep.. one attack south gate and other north gate. Both gates had inadequate rams (1!). South gate got flanked, north gate got pushed out.

-Opaque-

Let's be real.

Engineer or Ranger.

Another vote for Engineer, they are a lot of fun but be prepared to click a lot if you're using kits.
I switched over to Warrior because I ended rolling one on a whim and enjoying it even more still (I personally finds that it combines the bits I enjoy about Engie and Thief into one class), but I still find them very fun to play.
I had rolled a ranger amongst all this and it didn't grab me that much, I think the pet stuff turned me off a bit. I'll likely revisit the class at some point though.

Yuripaw

Banned
Someone commented earlier in this thread when I posted a screenshot, they said "am i playing the ipad version" My computer is pretty old, and I do need to build a new rig.

GW2 runs well enough, I can play it and still have fun, but it doesn't look nearly as good as it could. I'm just curious, are there any videos out there someone could link me to that show this game in the closest you can get to making this game look the best it can? I'm just wondering what I'm missing out on, and if it's really worth building a PC so I can enjoy this game more.

Morokh

I was a bit so-so about the engineer weapon kits (mines, flamethrower,bombs ...) and then I discovered the Elixir gun <3

Now I need to respec :D

hmmm got a engineer and a ranger to 6. So far Ranger is pretty fun and has some really nice animations with melee gear.

Engineer looks like one of those classes that get better when they get access to everything, so i guess it makes sense that they don't seem too hot early on. Grenades is pretty hilarious, but having no 1v1 dps... thing (?) going for it, is quite... weird.

hmmmm...

I guess I'd rather play 'simplier' classes in mmos. I enjoy the complex classes in SP, but tend to get more frustrated in mmos due to the time sink.

Let me kill stuff in... peace? hmmm... long bow ranger does seem like the most standard ass class yet. Am surprised at how... familiar it is lol.

Ken

hmmm got a engineer and a ranger to 6. So far Ranger is pretty fun and has some really nice animations with melee gear.

Engineer looks like one of those classes that get better when they get access to everything, so i guess it makes sense that they don't seem too hot early on. Grenades is pretty hilarious, but having no 1v1 dps... thing (?) going for it, is quite... weird.

hmmmm...

I guess I'd rather play 'simplier' classes in mmos. I enjoy the complex classes in SP, but tend to get more frustrated in mmos due to the time sink.

Let me kill stuff in... peace? hmmm... long bow ranger does seem like the most standard ass class yet. Am surprised at how... familiar it is lol.

Simple is Greatsword Guardian.

Absinthe

Few more pics:

iQIJciJICeFV6.jpg

Absolutely love the art style of this game.

Arcteryx

Someone commented earlier in this thread when I posted a screenshot, they said "am i playing the ipad version" My computer is pretty old, and I do need to build a new rig.

GW2 runs well enough, I can play it and still have fun, but it doesn't look nearly as good as it could. I'm just curious, are there any videos out there someone could link me to that show this game in the closest you can get to making this game look the best it can? I'm just wondering what I'm missing out on, and if it's really worth building a PC so I can enjoy this game more.

Check around on youtube, but here is one that looks pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcrUbpX4YYM

Ken

Lol have one. Got a bit sidetracked. :)

It's not too effective at range though.

Will probably go back to it lol.

I always wanna leave tankish classes in mmos but I keep coming back :(

But he's not really tankish.

Ran AC with a funky Greatsword Guardian focusing on life steal and keeping Retaliation up for most of the fight. Worked pretty well, I think. Will have to try out in another dungeon and need to work on getting my Exotics.

SorchaR

hmmmm...

Simple is warrior. Go rifle or bow for ranged in one weapon slot, hammer or greatsword for mellee in the other. I use a hammer and a rifle and it rocks. Having a ranged option and heavy armor is a great combination, very survivable. Use only signets in your utility slots. It's a simple build, simple to use and very forgiving.
In groups you can always switch to banners and shouts in your utility slots to provide some support for the others rather then the signets which only buff yourself.

Meteorain

Its bugged for me. 10 second base swap - with the -5 second trait makes it... 10 seconds aaaaand I still get no might on swap :|

You have to be careful sometimes about testing whether these work. Does the tooltip say while in combat? Did you test the might part while fighting?

Ken

Simple is warrior. Go rifle or bow for ranged in one weapon slot, hammer or greatsword for mellee in the other. I use a hammer and a rifle and it rocks. Having a ranged option and heavy armor is a great combination, very survivable. Use only signets in your utility slots. It's a simple build, simple to use and very forgiving.
In groups you can always switch to banners and shouts in your utility slots to provide some support for the others rather then the signets which only buff yourself.

I thought about rolling a Rifle Warrior but after seeing how boring heavy armor was I decided against it.

Yuripaw

Banned
Damn. I was curious what the "ipad version" looked like so I searched for your screenshot... I'm so sorry. :lol

Well...my computer is capable of making it look better, but I don't think it can handle it. I tried turning up some of the effects tonight, and I get a weird glitch where all the audio doesn't play anymore.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Got "tired" of playing tonight. Ended up spending an hour solving Lion's Arch vista points anyway. Stumbled into the large Sharkmaw Cavern puzzle area 100% on accident.

These moments of serendipitous exploration are what make the game for me.

I don't have the patience or the time for MMOs really these days, and even at level ~35 I think my time in GW2 might be winding down. But I still more than got my money's worth with all the hours I have put in. And plus, since there's no sub fee in a few months (or a year) I could always just roll a new toon and hit the starter zones I skipped on my current main.

qwerty2k

Anyone know if they are likely to ever have 'events' like they do in WoW (ie, full moon party and stuff?), also any chance of them adding stuff like fishing etc?

Yuripaw

Banned
So I was able to fix my sound problem...I guess this will do for now. I was able to improve some of the settings. I was thinking I had to lower all the settings to keep performance up, but it still seems to run good. Took a few screens again to show how it looks now. It's not capturing them at full resolution, im running at 1680x1050, but its compressing them.

GTX8800 is a real trooper of a video card I guess, heh.

Ashodin

That's still not bad at all for the game, really.

I always seem to buy video cards that have problems with shadowing, so I think I have to turn them off quite often.

But like I said, not bad.

Ashodin

Also, what is the benefit of playing on Home server as opposed to Overflow except people in the party need to be on the same server?

Overflow is people in the entire region, instead of entire server. Overflow server typically lags a little more and the connection isn't as good.

Forkball

I know a lot of people want the polar bear and bird people to be races in the expansion, but I think the hyleks (frog people) would be a cool addition. I did some missions with them in my personal story and they had really interesting armor. Plus the color possibilities are endless. Blue frog? Green frog? RED frog? Dare to dream.

Yuripaw

Banned
I know a lot of people want the polar bear and bird people to be races in the expansion, but I think the hyleks (frog people) would be a cool addition. I did some missions with them in my personal story and they had really interesting armor. Plus the color possibilities are endless. Blue frog? Green frog? RED frog? Dare to dream.

Hell yeah, frog people are fun lol. I played Everquest 2 briefly, and the only thing I liked about that game is you could play as a frog!

Ken

I would love to see undead being a playable race but I know that will never happen. :(

The Risen are so boring though.

You fight humans, Kraits, Charr, etc. all for like level 1-60. And then from level 60-80 you fight undead humans, Kraits, and Char etc.

Lord Phol

Yeah they got some really cool armor, looks kind of far-eastern flavoured.

Would totally roll a ninja-frog thief!

Vereataes

Neo Member
Someone may have mentioned this as I'm not through the whole thread yet, but I've found that if you put the same 4 items in the Mystic forge, it spits out one of the same item (higher level of course). So last night I threw in 4 blue swords that i'd just collected, I think ranging from 40-55 and got a lvl 62 Green sword. I was level 60 at the time, so it was really nice to have the waiting. I did the same thing a while ago with a greatsword and staff (I'm a Mes) which ended up being 5 - 10 levels higher than I was.

It seems to take the randomness out of it. So I vendor anything I cannot use, keep the blue and green weapons I can, once I get 4, throw them in and get an Item I can use.

As the level 70-80 weapons are relatively cheap in the TP, it may be a nice way of getting some decent level 80 greens/yellow weapons.

Someone may have mentioned this as I'm not through the whole thread yet, but I've found that if you put the same 4 items in the Mystic forge, it spits out one of the same item (higher level of course). So last night I threw in 4 blue swords that i'd just collected, I think ranging from 40-55 and got a lvl 62 Green sword. I was level 60 at the time, so it was really nice to have the waiting. I did the same thing a while ago with a greatsword and staff (I'm a Mes) which ended up being 5 - 10 levels higher than I was.

It seems to take the randomness out of it. So I vendor anything I cannot use, keep the blue and green weapons I can, once I get 4, throw them in and get an Item I can use.

As the level 70-80 weapons are relatively cheap in the TP, it may be a nice way of getting some decent level 80 greens/yellow weapons.

Does this work at every level? I was salvaging my Blue stuff, but now I'm thinking of keeping them. Do I need to use e.g. 4xSword, of does it have to be any weapon?

Totalriot

Thanks for the info! Will totally try this once I get home.

Vereataes

Neo Member
Does this work at every level? I was salvaging my Blue stuff, but now I'm thinking of keeping them. Do I need to use e.g. 4xSword, of does it have to be any weapon?

I really don't know. I may just be the luckiest person in the world. But the 3 times I've put in 4 of the same weapon, I've gotten a higher level of that same weapon and always for a higher level than I have been. But, the weapons that I've put in are usually within about 10 - 15 levels of my level and each other. I wouldn't expect to put in 4x lvl 10 blues swords and get a lvl 70 one

_machine

People bought a guild wars game to PvE? :lol

The way I saw it was that GW2 added some PvE flavor but the series has always had a major PvP focus. They just made the PvE side of the game not as dull as it was before.
The focus for Prophecies was certainly in PvP; I mean at the launch there wasn't really any endgame at all except for Fissure of Woe and Underworld which were a huge step up in difficulty from any other content and only had Obsidian Armor as reward. With the updates though I can't say that the focus of the game was solely on PvP, there was Sorrow's Furnace, Deep and Urgoz's Warren, titles, 15K armors and "perfect" weapons, Hard Mode, Domain of Anguish, etc. I've put more than thousand hour into the PvE of OG Guild Wars and unlike the most of time I put into WoW I really enjoyed the majority of it.

The Endgame of Guild Wars 2 is what you want it to be; I personally will complete the map, run all the dungeons, get the armor and weapon skins I want, finish story mode, max a few crafting disciplines, kill all the world bosses, etc. I've already put 60hrs into the game and it's been very enjoyable so far. I'll try PvP soon, but I think my focus will eventually be in PvE, just like in Guild Wars.

I understand though why some people don't like the PvE, feel the need for the "traditional" PvE Endgame and the core mechanics. I still am personally loving the PvE despite the severe balance issues, many bugs (not being able to replace people in dungeons sucks ass really hard, we'd gotten to the last boss of TA and one of us lost connection and ended almost 2 hrs of progress).

Lord Phol

So am I correct to assume that there's not much guild action in Gandara for us EU people?
If so I'm probably gonna make a transfer to another server since I mostly play alone at Gandara atm.

Just wanna make sure.

eek5

I think you're guaranteed a higher level than the lowest level item you put in. You also have like a 10-20% chance that you increase rarity (assuming it exists for that item level). As far as I can tell, you're guaranteed at least the same rarity. I've never seen it downgrade but I suppose it could be a possibility. FWIW, it's great if you like playing around with it and messing with RNG but before level 70 it's usually better to just vendor your yellows then buy people's poorly listed items for vendor+1 rather than messing with the forge. Even for decently priced rares, I've been able to put in buy orders at vendor+1 and have gotten them filled 90% of the time.

Also don't forget you can save some coin on training manuals by putting buy orders on TP

lR8i1.png

:D

I really don't know. I may just be the luckiest person in the world. But the 3 times I've put in 4 of the same weapon, I've gotten a higher level of that same weapon and always for a higher level than I have been. But, the weapons that I've put in are usually within about 10 - 15 levels of my level and each other. I wouldn't expect to put in 4x lvl 10 blues swords and get a lvl 70 one

No, that is not what I meant. If I put 4xlvl 10 Sword do I have a chance of getting a better weapon lvl10-15? And does it have to be 4xSword, of e.g. 2xSword, a mace, and a scepter.

Twinduct

So am I correct to assume that there's not much guild action in Gandara for us EU people?
If so I'm probably gonna make a transfer to another server since I mostly play alone at Gandara atm.

Just wanna make sure.

Well the word on the grapevine is that there will be some form of official announcement regarding us EU folk from Naito, and it should be soonish.

However we've gotten to the point where we should have enough people on the server to just create out own splinter group.

So yeah don't change servers yet

ZenVolta

The game looks awesome! Love the pictures.

Is it fasted paced? Like does movement and dodging really play a part in combat? Same with PVP?

I hope this goes on sale or im going to be waiting a while to jump in and find out for myself lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom