• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_AG

Banned
Sorry for being dense, but I can't seem to figure out how to utilize the "Call Target" function. I originally presumed that you just highlight a target and press CTRL+T, and then you should be able to press T at any time to instantly re-select that target (like how "Focus Target" works in Warcraft, for example). There's no visual indication that pressing CTRL+T does anything, though, and when I press T after dropping or cycling targets, I'm not automatically brought back to the called one. I must be misunderstanding the feature! Does it only work in Parties, perhaps?

This game is seriously cool. It kindles my passion to explore simply for the adventurous joy of it all -- an experience most recently mirrored in Dark Souls, albeit painted there with a much grimmer brush.

I love how Guild Wars naturally fosters cooperation between friends and strangers. It's especially impressive when I compare it to my time with Warcraft, where for the most part, the only people I'd chat with were my close friends or guildmates. True, interactions with others will always depend upon your motivation -- if you don't make an effort, why should you expect anyone else to? -- but in the past week of playing for a couple of hours every night, I've realized that Guild Wars, through a series of very simple tweaks to fundamental mechanics, has changed the social landscape I'm used to encountering in an MMO.

In seven years of playing Warcraft, I can't remember very many run-ins with random strangers that ended with a pleasant story to retell later by the hearthstone. We usually passed each other by, tangled in our own journeys and quest logs, or we fumed at each other silently (or not so silently) for reaching the rich Thorium vein or rare mob first. The game simply isn't built to make you want to do stuff -- or, in the worst cases of ninja looting or griefing, even feel comfortable doing stuff -- with random people. In one week of playing Guild Wars for no more than a couple of hours each night, I've found myself constantly interested in other players. "Where's that warrior going? Exploring that cave? Looks like fun!" "Whoa, that Mesmer is about to get bushwhacked by that train of Grawl. I should go help!" "Dredge running rampant on fallen allies? Not in this Norn's hills!"

Guild Wars is fresh, so some of that is to be expected -- and I don't begrudge Warcraft at all, I've had a super fun time with that game -- but still, I can't attribute all of it to that new MMO smell alone. A small example, but it honestly struck me: every player I've seen revived has thanked the folks who helped them. And why shouldn't we help and thank each other? Monsters can't be tagged and reserved, resource nodes can't be stolen or exhausted in one person's favor, events scale in difficulty to the number of active participants, experience and loot are shared and distributed equally regardless of whether or not everyone is in a party together... build a framework that promotes benefiting from mutual interests, and people will be more inclined to work together. It's incredibly engrossing, and I've never encountered it in an online game before to this extent (and I'd like to think I'm a pretty empathic person).

Well, my train of thought went completely off the rails there, but yeah - I'm really enjoying this game. Now to figure out how to call targets properly!

I disagree about the social aspect and here's why:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94607318

Just took that pic moments ago... I don't mind SMALL groups... fine. I love them. But large groups are just zergs and, well, with that many people - they HAVE to be because the situation devolves into one.

For me, this means one thing: I can't play melee successfully if I want to because I just flat-out can't see shit ha!

I like going back/forth between ranged/melee depending on my mood - but when I'm in a skull-crushing mood - sometimes I just need to whack things over the head, you know?

I will say this - I stayed in melee range the whole time during that fight - the only way I knew i was in range were numbers popping up on my screen dictating I dealt damage.

The entire boss fight I lived without barely a scratch. Never dodged, moved, ranged - I just stood still and mashed buttons.

This is why I loathe DE's which require 0 skill. I'd rather have 5 of us try to take this sucker down than 30. 30 means there's a good chance I will be ignored if I just stand still whacking at the boss. 5 people means there's an excellent chance I'll pull aggro and actually have to do more than just stand there.

Anyone else like smaller groups in times like these? Meaning - you actually have to work to kill something?

This is one of the reasons I dislike the DE system - when one pops up - 90% of the time there will be a ton of people sucking the fun out of combat for you.

I like how everyone can work together - I dislike the fact that the larger the group - the more life is sucked right out of the event and there is less fun to be had :(

Sometimes I wish you can form a group of 5 and instance yourself from the rest of the world... I wish when I wanted to get into the thick of things I could with just a few friends. Too many people around just suck the life out of the game for me with DEs... which makes the rest of the PvE game feel grind-y.

Spookie

I recommend PMing an officer if you want an invite.

Hawkian The Blade
Ashodin Ventreal
Retro
gojira

I guess this is a good a time as any to announce the EU GAF are now operating in it's own guild. While we haven't put up a formal announcement yet, I wanted to get word out so people don't go in to the overflow guild who are on Gandara or wonder why suddenly most of the EU isn't responding to party invites.

So if you're in the EU please ask:

Naito.8946, Rakknar.4086, Spookie.2186 for an invite. If we don't respond please feel free to send an in game mail and we'll pick it up and invite you! :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
At what point are we allowed to say 'trainwreck'?

GAF really has the market cornered on hyperbole.

It totally sucks, but it's far from a trainwreck...I guess unless you've never played an MMO before.

Stuart444

This is honestly my first MMO launch and I understand things go wrong so I'm trying to be patient while they fix all their current issues.

I'm still enjoying the game so much even with the issues though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is honestly my first MMO launch and I understand things go wrong so I'm trying to be patient while they fix all their current issues.

STOP IT

you are TOO REASONABLE

TRAINWRECK

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

That's because you're a reasonable, patient adult.

Spookie

I guess this is a good a time as any to announce the EU GAF are now operating in it's own guild. While we haven't put up a formal announcement yet, I wanted to get word out so people don't go in to the overflow guild who are on Gandara or wonder why suddenly most of the EU isn't responding to party invites.

So if you're in the EU please ask:

Naito.8946, Rakknar.4086, Spookie.2186 for an invite. If we don't respond please feel free to send an in game mail and we'll pick it up and invite you! :)

Quoting for new page.

What is the best site for crafting recipes and really just tips in general?

guildhead I guess?

th3dude

Damn "kids" not being patient for a core game feature that hasn't been working for almost 2 weeks.

Maybe it is because I'm a developer (albeit not for games), but I find it completely reasonable that a system as complex as the trading post will need some TLC over a period of time in order to work properly. There is simply no way to thoroughly test and stress these things prior to launch.

thetrin

Damn "kids" not being patient for a core game feature that hasn't been working for almost 2 weeks.

It has been working over the last few days. It just went offline now.

I'm sorry that you think it's supposed to be magical and work all the time, but it's simply not the case. Online software has growing pains when hits prime time. That's a fact of life.

Do you think that makes it a train wreck? If you answer yes, then chances are that you're addicted to hyperbolic speech.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
ok gaf help me decide. i have a warrior already, which will i enjoy more Guardian, Thief or Ranger. bear in mine this second char will be pve only.

im not sure if ill enjoy the guardian much now ive played a warrior and very much so enjoy it.

thetrin

ok gaf help me decide. i have a warrior already, which will i enjoy more Guardian, Thief or Ranger. bear in mine this second char will be pve only.

im not sure if ill enjoy the guardian much now ive played a warrior and very much so enjoy it.

Guardian is not like Warrior. It's actually a very different class, despite both being melee. It's built around different tenets, class skills operate completely differently (there's no adrenaline, and instead you have Virtues that have a passive, as well as active state), and a lot of the abilities work completely differently.

Try a guardian for a bit. You might be very surprised.

While the TP issues suck I'm more surprised they don't have authenticators just yet. You would think at the least a mobile authenticator would pop up since it can be deployed the quickest.

I would very much like an authenticator. I'm surprised one doesn't exist. That said, the email verification system works fine for me right now.

NeededSleep

Been pleasantly surprised at the community on Tarnished Coast. Lots of Rp in all the major hubs and nice people all around. We are not that great in WvWvW, but still fun!

I have noticed a lot less people in zones for leveling, usually just stay in overflow if i'm looking to focus on events with lots of people.

The later zones have really noticed are dead, lots of events are bugged.

Created a small crafting oriented guild with friends 'Microburst Crafting Co'. Having a lot
of fun with builing up perks from influence.
If anyone is interested in a small guild on tarnished coast fell free to join up with us.
Not really rp, but friendly and we share crafting mats when we can. Mostly what the guild bank is for.

Got my engineer to 80 last night. Still a weird class for me. Its really a love hate relationship with it.

Sqorgar

Banned
Star Wars Galaxies was missing major features (player cities, vehicles) for months. In fact, a major promised feature, space, was put into the first expansion a year later. By MMO standards, the trading post being down is small potatoes.

Jack_AG

Banned
Hawkian, thetrin - grow up. I love it how if you worship this game you don't catch any shit but hold the fucking phone if you say something negative - you get shit from everyone. There's a lot of work that needs to be done to alleviate some issues - but its also 2012. The online space is not new territory and people expect a certain level of "shit works". That being said the TP is the least of my issues with the game.

Concept17

Let's see what I can bullet point to answer your questions.

- On bigger bosses, each character has an established role, but that role is determined by how you spec your character, rather than by the class you picked a long time ago. Every class can be anything. Yes, you will take a role, but that role is what you want.

- Endgame isn't raiding. There is no raiding in GW2. Instead, the entire island or Orr (the end game zone) is nothing but chains of huge dynamic events that, when successful, culminate in a story dungeon where you fight Zhaitan, the undead elder dragon. I haven't gotten there yet, but lots of people have said Zhaitan is awesome.

- Dungeons are all instanced. They're tuned to be done in groups of five. Otherwise, events in the world are tuned to as many or as few members as are in the area of the event upon its beginning. You can solo pretty much anything, but "solo" isn't really the same as other MMOs. You don't have to join a party to reap the rewards of a large event. You can just walk into the event, pull your weight with a bunch of random people, and you'll get your rewards. there's no kill stealing, no loot stealing, and events are designed to have lots of players spontaneously working together.

- If you are a raider and looking for gear checks, don't play GW2. It's not about gear checks, and it never will be. If that's what you go into MMOs expecting, you will be sorely disappointed. However, if you go into MMOs expecting large scale battles and fun with people you may or may not know, you will really enjoy GW2. GW2's events (outside of dungeons) are all about spontaneous grouping, and the game has that in spades.

Thanks for the answers. Its good to hear the game is not based around endless raiding/work towards getting better items. That shit ruined games like DAoC and WoW for me, so I'm glad to hear its not in this, especially when it comes to PvP.

Ferrio

Banned
One of the better vistas

cfHQ1.jpg

Deitus

Hawkian, thetrin - grow up. I love it how if you worship this game you don't catch any shit but hold the fucking phone if you say something negative - you get shit from everyone. There's a lot of work that needs to be done to alleviate some issues - but its also 2012. The online space is not new territory and people expect a certain level of "shit works". That being said the TP is the least of my issues with the game.

Here we go.

There have been plenty of people who have been called on fanboyism/hype/kool-aid/etc; some of it was even deserved. People don't jump on you for making criticisms of the game, they jump on you for saying "shitsux".

As for this "It's 2012 everything should just work" that's a nice sentiment, but its not something that ever happens. If someone out there is releasing online games that are bug free day one with no server issues in the first few weeks, you can bet they will be praised for it. In the meantime, launch issues are par for the course; just ask Blizzard.

Edit- Just to clarify: I'm not saying people shouldn't complain about launch issues, the trading post being down, etc. Obviously, that stuff should work, and it being broken is not something you should be happy about. But there is a huge difference between complaints and outrage.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
EDIT: Going to actually refrain from this discussion. I see that it's pointless and fruitless in my eyes.

Trey

What other issues do you have? I'm up there with Hawkian and Retro in my stannery of this game, but even I have some issues. Everyone does.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

When you can't log in at all, there are functionalities that are permanently down, the game is unplayable because core aspects are broken/missing/etc, and etc. You get the general gist.

Stuart444

So yeah, I've looked across other places including GW2G, Reddit and youtube and it seems a lot of people have the problem in "Forging the Pact", namely if Traherne dies, you can't finish the mission.

Anet have not acknowledged this bug yet and I've seen posts about it from as far back as the 1st of September.

Jack_AG

Banned
What other issues do you have? I'm up there with Hawkian and Retro in my stannery of this game, but even I have some issues. Everyone does.

My largest beef is the feel of PvE - it's rather grind-y and not that fun trying to grow a character up. This post explains a bit more - specifically the clusterfuck that is the Dynamic Event - which is supposed to be the main attraction:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41864814&postcount=16040

The short version: Too many players in the world focusing on a single objective cheapen the experience of actually achieving something yourself. Sure you all work together - but 30 people zerging one boss in a DE sucks all the damn fun out of playing the game.

Here we go.

There have been plenty of people who have been called on fanboyism/hype/kool-aid/etc; some of it was even deserved. People don't jump on you for making criticisms of the game, they jump on you for saying "shitsux".

As for this "It's 2012 everything should just work" that's a nice sentiment, but its not something that ever happens. If someone out there is releasing online games that are bug free day one with no server issues in the first few weeks, you can bet they will be praised for it. In the meantime, launch issues are par for the course; just ask Blizzard.

Edit- Just to clarify: I'm not saying people shouldn't complain about launch issues, the trading post being down, etc. Obviously, that stuff should work, and it being broken is not something you should be happy about. But there is a huge difference between complaints and outrage.
I'm starting to think the Squarenix way (letting people play for free until everything's fixed) is the right way. If I pay 100% of the game's price I want 100% of the game.

As for the Trading Post, I don't care about it as much as I care about the framerate/optimization but I suppose that's none of ANet's priorities right now.

My largest beef is the feel of PvE - it's rather grind-y and not that fun trying to grow a character up. This post explains a bit more - specifically the clusterfuck that is the Dynamic Event - which is supposed to be the main attraction:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41864814&postcount=16040

The short version: Too many players in the world focusing on a single objective cheapen the experience of actually achieving something yourself. Sure you all work together - but 30 people zerging one boss in a DE sucks all the damn fun out of playing the game.
To be honest, even killing trash mobs feels too long for me. It's not always difficult (some trash mobs have been surprisingly tough) but I feel like I'm wasting my time every time I have to kill one just to be able to explore the map, finish that heart quest or go to my current objective so... I don't really mind help from other players.

thetrin

Video games are "magical"? They aren't supposed to work all the time? So we should be OK when things break?

HO

LY

FUCK

Is it really that hard to be patient and not twist yourself up into a frothy rage?

Yeah, it sucks, but it's not a trainwreck, nor is it the end of the world. Oh no, the TP is down. Time to RAGE on GAF!

Are you really incapable of having middle of the road emotions about something? Is it really only AMAZING or HORRIBLE?

There are plenty of things I've complained about with the game. The game is far from perfect, but it's nothing close to a TRAIN WRECK.

Funny that you completely ignore that I JUST posted a page back about being bothered by how Shatterer doles out medals.

But apparently telling people to chill and be patient is being childish. Whodathunk.

I have no problem with being unhappy. Be unhappy. You shouldn't be happy. But instead of calling it a TRAIN WRECK like you're bipolar, how about realizing it kinda sucks, and do something else? Go play another game if it's such a huge problem. Come back to the game when it starts working again. You'll be happier.

broz0rs

so not being able to use TP takes away all the fun from the game?

If something like that affected me in such a way, I'll stop paying the monthly fee for a month or two then come back when the game has settled down.

DodgerSan

For anyone from the UK playing on Stormbluff - how's the lag? I often play late night/early mornings, and I'm thinking of moving but only if it's not too laggy.

Jack_AG

Banned
Is it really that hard to be patient and not twist yourself up into a frothy rage?

Yeah, it sucks, but it's not a trainwreck, nor is it the end of the world. Oh no, the TP is down. Time to RAGE on GAF!
So being shocked at your comment is "frothy rage" and games are "magical" and aren't supposed to "work".

Got it with a side of /rollseyes

Look - if people object to a non-operational portion of a product they paid for - that's fine and dandy - hell, its even expected.

There is a bit of leeway when it comes to online games, particularly MMO launches, but people can and should raise concern when issues pop up.

Being vocal is how these things get remedied faster. Unless, of course, you'd rather zip your lip and let developers fix things at their leisure without community input helping guide their hand to a better online gamespace.

You might be happy with "broken" - but others aren't. The TP working is only a benefit to all - there is never a time when "broken" should be acceptable (unless youre Blizzard).

thetrin

So being shocked at your comment is "frothy rage" and games are "magical" and aren't supposed to "work".

I was referring to Computer's post, which is what I was initially replying to, which you then replied to.

Raising an issue is fine, and the game has them. Calling it a train wreck is pure hyperbole.

I don't know how you can say that being patient is equivalent to being okay with something. There are plenty of things I don't think are fine, but I'm still patient.

Patience =/= Contentment

How you don't understand this blows my mind.

Achtius

tp is down, so sad :(

I need to shop around for cheap armor T_T

I got back from work and found out I got a cheap exotic armor for 1.75 g

thetrin

Jack, why exactly do you think they took the TP down? Was it possible they took it down...to fix it?

It's not like it stopped working and they said nothing about fixing it.

That would truly piss me off. They literally said "We're taking down the TP temporarily. Please be patient."

Okidoki, I'll be patient. Do what you need to do. Hope it comes back soon.

Is that not a reasonable response? Should I shout at them angrily until they fix it faster? Do you shout at your plumber angrily while he tries to fix your sink?

I may have found a nice little area to farm for mats that you can easily sell. It's a little cave that has spiders that keep spawning and drop a lot of Small Venom Sacs which go for over a silver a piece on the TP. I got 14x of them in like 20 mins and I was alt-tabbed for some of that. These lower level mats sell for a lot more than the higher.

Stuart444

I may have found a nice little area to farm for mats that you can easily sell. It's a little cave that has spiders that keep spawning and drop a lot of Small Venom Sacs which go for over a silver a piece on the TP. I got 14x of them in like 20 mins and I was alt-tabbed for some of that. These lower level mats sell for a lot more than the higher.

Is that the spider cave in Blazeridge Steppes with the jumping puzzle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom