• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been working over the last few days. It just went offline now.

I'm sorry that you think it's supposed to be magical and work all the time, but it's simply not the case. Online software has growing pains when hits prime time. That's a fact of life.

Do you think that makes it a train wreck? If you answer yes, then chances are that you're addicted to hyperbolic speech.

And just because your willing to accept it, doesn't mean these things don't piss off other people. People spout hyperbole? *gasp* the internet evil words. It's all meaningless, someone is upset, no need to get so defensive about it and try to put people down with such talk as trying to insinuate that they are not acting like adults. Person is upset, posts random crap on net, news at 11. I never called it a trainwreck, I really don't mind but understand that others rightfully feel peeved about something they paid for not working right. At least were not paying a sub for this so stuff being down is not as big a deal for me personally.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Vxm1c.jpg

Halfway there... Twice.

Deitus

I'm starting to think the Squarenix way (letting people play for free until everything's fixed) is the right way. If I pay 100% of the game's price I want 100% of the game.

As for the Trading Post, I don't care about it as much as I care about the framerate/optimization but I suppose that's none of ANet's priorities right now.

I'm really not sure what your point is here.

Square Enix released a broken, unfinished, not even feature complete product. They apologized and removed the monthly fee for a significant chunk of time until they could get the game up to snuff. They should never have released the game when they did... but since it happened they handled the situation pretty much as well as possible, and I give them respect for that.

But the launch issues of Guild Wars 2 are nowhere near the scale of FFXIV's issues, and ArenaNet was never charging a monthly fee. I'm not sure what you are expecting them to do, since they can't stop charging a monthly fee as an apology.

Look - if people object to a non-operational portion of a product they paid for - that's fine and dandy - hell, its even expected.

There is a bit of leeway when it comes to online games, particularly MMO launches, but people can and should raise concern when issues pop up.

Being vocal is how these things get remedied faster. Unless, of course, you'd rather zip your lip and let developers fix things at their leisure without community input helping guide their hand to a better online gamespace.

You might be happy with "broken" - but others aren't. The TP working is only a benefit to all - there is never a time when "broken" should be acceptable (unless youre Blizzard).

Edit- Just to clarify: I'm not saying people shouldn't complain about launch issues, the trading post being down, etc. Obviously, that stuff should work, and it being broken is not something you should be happy about. But there is a huge difference between complaints and outrage.

It's like you intentionally ignored my post because then you couldn't justify your persecution complex.

It's all meaningless, someone is upset, no need to get so defensive about it and try to put people down with such talk as trying to insinuate that they are not acting like adults. Person is upset, posts random crap on net, news at 11.

Everyone on the internet is complaining about something. Someone is complaining that the game doesn't work the way they want it to. Someone else is complaining that they're complaining. You're complaining that they're complaining about complaining. And now apparently I'm complaining that you're complaining that....

Okay I can't remember if I even had a point here.

Everyone on the internet is complaining about something. Someone is complaining that the game doesn't work the way they want it to. Someone else is complaining that they're complaining. You're complaining that they're complaining about complaining. And now apparently I'm complaining that you're complaining that....

If I'm complaining, it's about his condescending attitude towards others opinions by attempting to constantly toss jabs at people, such as his remark about not being patient adults. There is no need to talk down to a person like that just because they don't like something about your favorite little game. He has done this quite a few times.

Jack_AG

Banned
Jack, why exactly do you think they took the TP down? Was it possible they took it down...to fix it?

It's not like it stopped working and they said nothing about fixing it.

That would truly piss me off. They literally said "We're taking down the TP temporarily. Please be patient."

Okidoki, I'll be patient. Do what you need to do. Hope it comes back soon.

Is that not a reasonable response? Should I shout at them angrily until they fix it faster? Do you shout at your plumber angrily while he tries to fix your sink?
I understand the issues with the TP and, as stated before, its not my biggest concern... if at all. My beef is bros like you talking shit to those people who are genuinely disappointed.

YOUR degree of disappointment will be WILDLY different from someone else's. You cannot gauge anothers response based on your own feelings since YOU are not THEM.

If they are pissed and youre not - how does that begrudge you SO MUCH that you need to act like an adolescent and say condescending shit?

Are your feelings hurt because someone else called the TP a trainwreck? Earth to you - the shit has been fucked up since BETA - no shit people might be pissed by now.

And your plumber analogy is stunningly out of place. My plumber may not have installed my sink or broken it - ANet made the game and all bugs with it.

Monumental difference.

Jack_AG

Banned
It's like you intentionally ignored my post because then you couldn't justify your persecution complex.
A) I responded to thetrin's comment in that post.
B) I'm on mobile and just might miss a few post when responding. People missed plenty of mine before but I'm not going to cry about it and accuse them of being purposeful about it. Take a chill pill.

Deitus

A) I responded to thetrin's comment in that post.
B) I'm on mobile and just might miss a few post when responding. People missed plenty of mine before but I'm not going to cry about it and accuse them of being purposeful about it. Take a chill pill.

I wasn't upset that you didn't see/respond to my post (or upset at all really). My point was, I literally said the same thing you said, that people should be upset that the game isn't working right.

Your earlier posts made it seem like this board as a whole was out to get you and anyone who dares to say anything negative about the game. I was responding to that general sentiment, and pointing out that negative comments are fine, exaggeration and doomsaying are what get people upset. I see now that your beef is with Thetrin specifically, so I'll just exit this conversation now.

Dreavus

Played tons of sPvP today. I hate that Capricorn map so much. Take the ruins, then have someone sit on them forever. I can chill there all game with my healing mantras while the sharks kill everyone who tries to come to me, and I admit it doesn't make for a fun game. The NPC sharks are a cool idea in theory but I think there are too many of them. If you try and solo cap the point you get like 6 sharks on you, and depending on your build, you might not even survive the neutralize-then-capture - and this is with no one defending. If there is a defender, good look getting him off the point with a giant shark meat shield in the way. Water combat is so bad in pvp :(

eek5

The freedom is really wonderful. It has a dark side, though. The problem of providing this kind of freedom, with still encouraging players to band together, make friends, and strategize, remains unsolved. This could still be the game; they seem on the verge of it, since the other problem of not wanting players around when you're leveling has been completely solved, so it might be that as the game evolves, it becomes what I'm asking for. Still, I wish it would have launched that way.
The LFG system doesn't work very well and I don't think a lot of people know you can change your status through the friends menu but I've had success working with strangers on jumping puzzles. I bought a bunch of cheap MF food and I've run into people soloing in areas I've been in and I've sent them food and partied up with them as well. I have no problem soloing the content so far but I understand how much faster it is with even just one more person rolling through so I always try to form a makeshift party if someone is going the same direction I am.

It is what it is right now. If you actively try to find people to party up with and run with them then you can band up and work together. If you want to be completely asocial and ignore people who say stuff in local chat and just work by yourself then you have that option as well (and there are plenty of people who do just that)

Is that the spider cave in Blazeridge Steppes with the jumping puzzle?

I just logged out but it was at a vista on top of a mountain you get to from a cave. Area is the Norn snow area, vista is at bottom. No joke, 14x small venom sacs in 20-some minutes and they sell for a silver. Easy to do. A veteran spider always keeps spawning too

eek5

Yeah it does seem to me that barely anyone even talks in PvE.

I think having map chat on by default and most people not knowing you can customize what channels you want showing just lead people to tuning out the chat completely or something. I'm not really sure how you could completely ignore what's being said right next to you... or maybe they just give no fucks IDK lol

Unless, of course, you'd rather zip your lip and let developers fix things at their leisure without community input helping guide their hand to a better online gamespace.

To think that ArenaNet should let the "community" guide their hand in anything is wishful thinking at best, and dangerously misguided at worst. I can't express how relieved I am that ArenaNet would never do such thing. If there's one single thing worse than design by committee, it's design by audience.

I'm all for consumer entitlement (heck, I'm the first to complain when a company screws over their consumer, which is pretty much daily), but I think ArenaNet can't really do much more than what they are doing. Believe me, all the whining you can do is orders of magnitude less pressing to them than the company reputation they are perfectly aware of losing. I very much doubt any marketplace ever has gone from zero to hundreds of millions of items being listed worldwide without a hitch; crafting materials hover around the several hundreds of thousands of units each, and realize each individual item has an associated user id and price (among others). The volume of information being accessed in real-time is quite staggering.

That said, people fail to see the bigger picture, which is that the game itself is more stable and lag-free now, at less than two weeks after release, that most MMOs are within months of their launch. How quickly do people forget about stuff like WoW's loot lag, etc.

Finally, could we (and I mean both camps) please take the ad-hominem attacks out of this forum? We can discuss different and even opposing points of view without degrading those in front if you. I know we are better than this. :)

inter

So I've started the Norn area a few times now and encountered the Raven's riddle event multiple times, but I've never been able to interact with any of the statues or anything. Am I missing something?

eek5

So I've started the Norn area a few times now and encountered the Raven's riddle event multiple times, but I've never been able to interact with any of the statues or anything. Am I missing something?

No. I've had it bug out on me. Other people could answer riddles but I couldn't. Not sure what causes it but I came back later and it was working so who knows?

The M.O.B

At this point, Henge should just be put in their own personal WvW match. Split the server into 3 teams and let them be by themselves. They certainly have enough people to do it.

And the West and East sides of the WvW map are so uneven. The West side is much easier to defend and much easier to push north. East side is ridiculous, it's a joke they playtested this and thought it all balanced out.

Retro

• The Trading Post is not a significant part of the game, and has zero impact on gameplay.
  • No MMO ever has had a global economy that can be accessed from anywhere in the game at any time (EVE is probably the closest).
  • The game has been out for less than two weeks, whether you consider the headstart or retail release the 'official launch'.
  • MMOs are much more complex than your average game, people expecting everything to work flawlessly are hopelessly deluded. Even the most hype-hydrated of us knew the first month or two would be rocky.
  • In my opinion, no major MMO has had a smoother launch. Rift was pretty good, but even that wasn't in the same league.

• Edit: What Weltall said.

Sooo, has anyone traded in your coins for gems and bought things like the 3 mini pack? what minis did you get? what other things have you bought with gems? I'm considering a couple of things like accessories and the mini pack. Money is coming in at a good rate now with the TP up and my strat of selling low lvl mats for $$$$.

Chanser

Sooo, has anyone traded in your coins for gems and bought things like the 3 mini pack? what minis did you get? what other things have you bought with gems? I'm considering a couple of things like accessories and the mini pack. Money is coming in at a good rate now with the TP up and my strat of selling low lvl mats for $$$$.

Priority for me is increasing bank storage.

• The Trading Post is not a significant part of the game, and has zero impact on gameplay.
  • No MMO ever has had a global economy that can be accessed from anywhere in the game at any time (EVE is probably the closest).
  • The game has been out for less than two weeks, whether you consider the headstart or retail release the 'official launch'.
  • MMOs are much more complex than your average game, people expecting everything to work flawlessly are hopelessly deluded. Even the most hype-hydrated of us knew the first month or two would be rocky.
  • In my opinion, no major MMO has had a smoother launch. Rift was pretty good, but even that wasn't in the same league.

• Edit: What Weltall said.

All ya have to do is compare this to a certain other game that launched a few months ago with a ton of hype. Compare the launches of D3 and GW2 and how much smoother the latter was. And now take into account how GW2 is exponentially bigger than D3, like so much bigger and deeper and more complex in terms of content and the world. It's incredible what Anet has done. This is the first game I've purchased from them and it certainly won't be my last after this experience.

Played tons of sPvP today. I hate that Capricorn map so much. Take the ruins, then have someone sit on them forever. I can chill there all game with my healing mantras while the sharks kill everyone who tries to come to me, and I admit it doesn't make for a fun game. The NPC sharks are a cool idea in theory but I think there are too many of them. If you try and solo cap the point you get like 6 sharks on you, and depending on your build, you might not even survive the neutralize-then-capture - and this is with no one defending. If there is a defender, good look getting him off the point with a giant shark meat shield in the way. Water combat is so bad in pvp :(
Pretty much, yeah. Actually, I think water combat just kinda sucks in general.

Doesn't help that underwater mobs seem to have twice as much HP as land mobs for some unfathomable reason.

Either way, I pretty much ignore the ruins now just so I can actually do something fun, like commandeering the cannon while everyone else is preoccupied with the docks and beach.

Dreavus

Goddamnit the armor Runes of Vampirism are busted right now. All "mist form" does when you're at 10% HP is disable skills 1-5... you still take damage from attacks and conditions (I don't think that's how it's supposed to work!). I submitted a bug report, but I have to imagine there are tons of little discrepancies in and around this stuff. Might take a while to sort it out.

EDIT: ^^

Yeah, those sharks just don't die, and water attacks don't seem to do much damage in general.

Also for some reason Mesmer mantras charge super fast underwater (1-2 seconds instead of 4-5(?) on land). I'm currently traited for 3 casts off a single charge and healing when a mantra is charged, meaning I can be healing very often down there. Dunno if it's a bug or not (ALL mantras charge faster underwater), but it does seem a little weird.

Priority for me is increasing bank storage.

Good call, forgot about that. Minis will have to wait

Unrelated: can plain unid dyes you find outside be yellow or can you only craft those? I've gotten green a couple times and the rest all blue. I'm wondering if i should just TP them cause unid gets 5-6s

hmmm out of curiosity, do all classes hold up reasonably well mid to late game pve? I've played mmos that range from 'pretty much same AI and damage scales the same' to games with huge mobs or clusters of veterans and w/e that screw over some classes.

Llyranor

Man the cannon instead :D

2San

[*]MMOs are much more complex than your average game, people expecting everything to work flawlessly are hopelessly deluded. Even the most hype-hydrated of us knew the first month or two would be rocky.
Sure, but expecting trade post to work and having arena pvp running smoothly isn't really that crazy.
[*]In my opinion, no major MMO has had a smoother launch. Rift was pretty good, but even that wasn't in the same league.
So how many MMO's have you played? I recall OG Lineage, Lineage 2, AION, etc. having less issue's.

To think that ArenaNet should let the "community" guide their hand in anything is wishful thinking at best, and dangerously misguided at worst. I can't express how relieved I am that ArenaNet would never do such thing. If there's one single thing worse than design by committee, it's design by audience.
People are just pointing out what is important to them. It's called feed back and happens in pretty much anything. Stop putting ANET on a pedestal.

Sinistral

Sure, but expecting trade post to work and having arena pvp running smoothly isn't really that crazy.

So how many MMO's have you played? I recall OG Lineage, Lineage 2, AION, etc. having less issue's.

People are just pointing out what is important to them. It's called feed back and happens in pretty much anything. Stop putting ANET on a pedestal.

All heavy hitters with some form of global auction house.

Lineage(1/2) and Aion were released first in Korea, no? GW2 had a global launch and it has a global trading system.

I've played a lot of MMO launches myself, and GW2 is among the smoothest. The overall game being fantastic shouldn't be dismissed either.

Edit: Wish there was more large scale extended beta periods as WvW and sPvP issues are creeping in but... whatever.

leng jai

Guild Wars 2 has been very smooth for me during the first 2 weeks but I'm not a hardcore player by any means. WoW and Warhammer were far more flakey during launch in my experience.

2San

Lineage(1/2) and Aion were released first in Korea, no? GW2 had a global launch and it has a global trading system.

I've played a lot of MMO launches myself, and GW2 is among the smoothest. The overall game being fantastic shouldn't be dismissed either.

Edit: Wish there was more large scale extended beta periods as WvW and sPvP issues are creeping in but... whatever.
They had good launches in Korea as well. The open beta's where pretty solid.

GW2 is amongst the smoothest if you don't like PVP.
Guild Wars 2 has been very smooth for me during the first 2 weeks but I'm not a hardcore player by any means. WoW and Warhammer were far more flakey during launch in my experience.
Warhammer was amazing at launch. Getting stuck on a piece of paper and everything. :D

Piecake

My one big complaint besides performance issues and the TP being down is the camera. The camera really kinda sucks. If youre in a tight room you basically cant see shit

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
My one big complaint besides performance issues and the TP being down is the camera. The camera really kinda sucks. If youre in a tight room you basically cant see shit

The camera is pretty shitty, especially while trying jumping puzzles.

Jack_AG

Banned

So let's say that Hundred Blades did 5x the damage it deals right now... by design. Not a bug, not a mistype, but purposeful design.

Would you still say the same thing? That letting ANet keep that design in the game vs an entire PvP community voice their concerns about a fix... is the right thing to do?

I would hope with any community-driven game (MMOs are this very beast) that the community voice IS heard and IS considered when it comes to issues like this.

That being said - I'm not talking about completely changing the landscape of a game - I'm talking about enough people voicing concern that it lights a fire under their asses to get things straightened out.

Big difference between "we're all having issues - hurry the hell up" and "do it my way or the highway".

I'm all for consumer entitlement (heck, I'm the first to complain when a company screws over their consumer, which is pretty much daily), but I think ArenaNet can't really do much more than what they are doing. Believe me, all the whining you can do is orders of magnitude less pressing to them than the company reputation they are perfectly aware of losing. I very much doubt any marketplace ever has gone from zero to hundreds of millions of items being listed worldwide without a hitch; crafting materials hover around the several hundreds of thousands of units each, and realize each individual item has an associated user id and price (among others). The volume of information being accessed in real-time is quite staggering.

That said, people fail to see the bigger picture, which is that the game itself is more stable and lag-free now, at less than two weeks after release, that most MMOs are within months of their launch. How quickly do people forget about stuff like WoW's loot lag, etc.

Finally, could we (and I mean both camps) please take the ad-hominem attacks out of this forum? We can discuss different and even opposing points of view without degrading those in front if you. I know we are better than this. :)

Personally, and I've said this before, I usually wait to pass judgement on MMO mishaps for about 6 months. Everything will be rocky.

Again, my concern with defending those who voice their concern is not defending their point of view directly, but defending them from people like Hawkian and thetrin who reduce their own points of view by resorting to childish attacks at posters in question because their experiences are different.

My respect for those two dropped by a zillion. People are often most vocal and judgmental about things they like - which is why I voice my concern for what I feel are my game-breakers. Coming at someone with snide remarks for voicing concern because you don't happen to think those concerns carry weight - speaks volumes about the characters of Hawkian and thetrin.

Personally directed attacks because they don't care about X the same way someone else cares about it is uncalled for. It's bullshit behavior that belongs elsewhere.

I expect them to act better. Disagreement is 100% acceptable. Disagreement with personal attacks? PFFFFT.

EDIT: I also find it highly comical that an OFFICER of GAFguild would be the one to start "drama". Don't we have a no drama policy? Or are officers immune to guild rules and can freely talk trash to whomever they want? If that's the case - I'm out.

Acerac

Banned
Well, I got an invite to the GAFguild but for some reason I kept getting an error saying I needed to check my internet connection. I wasn't having any connection problems, of course. Anyone know what might cause this problem so I don't lose spots in guilds in the future? =/

Deitus

EDIT: I also find it highly comical that an OFFICER of GAFguild would be the one to start "drama". Don't we have a no drama policy? Or are officers immune to guild rules and can freely talk trash to whomever they want? If that's the case - I'm out.

Let's not be so quick to point fingers when it comes to drama, as I don't see you as blameless in that. Hawkian and Thetrin may have been a bit dismissive in their responses, but you are putting a hell of a lot of words in their mouths, and assuming intentions that I don't believe are actually there.

Maybe just chill for a bit, and then you can discuss it in a less accusatory manner.

Let's not be so quick to point fingers when it comes to drama. Hawkian and Thetrin may have been a bit dismissive in their responses, but you are putting a hell of a lot of words in their mouths, and assuming intentions that I don't believe are actually there.

Maybe just chill for a bit, and then you can discuss it in a less accusatory manner.

Doesn't matter if they start it, they're usually the ones involved.

khefka

Neo Member
Weird, just logged in and a few of my weapons have changed looks. Same names and stats, but they look plain now and even the icon has changed. My green mace and focus I had from world drops, along with a few weapons I had gotten off the trading post specifically for their skins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom