• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vano

"Ideas are like cream, good ones rise to the top", "Excelsior"

Life of a tailor if you use the station in Lion's Arch

leng jai

The camera is pretty terrible I have to say. In the forest you can't see shit and it's far too close underwater.

Who wants to explain to me how bonus XP works?

The camera is pretty terrible I have to say. In the forest you can't see shit and it's far too close underwater.

Yeah... have similar problems with those event bosses that hover in the air, like that giant moth/bee or w/e.

Not being to seeing where I'm wacking and next moment i'm down. Awesome.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

From what I've seen and heard, the longer an enemy is alive, the more bonus experience you get.

inky

The longer the mob has been alive in the game the higher the exp bonus. It's easy this way to get bonuses larger than the base exp if you go kill stuff in remote places.

Finally got to 400 armorsmithing. That was a bitch. I don't really like the way crafting works in this game, it has its nice things and all, but it's just as shitty as in most MMOs. At least I crafted some exotic dragon pants that look pretty cool.

EGcUO.png

Cyrillus

Wow this game amazes me every day I play it. Today I decided to roll my Asura Elementalist alt, and going to one of the very first Asura Tasks has the option to "Experiment on Sleeping Golems".

On my Sylvari, the options were like, "Cut the green/blue/yellow/random wire", "Turn the round thing/Wiggle the square thing/Push the triangle thing", etc., and the result was always that the golem turned into a bomb and exploded.

On my Asura, the options are much more Asura-like: "Ether-the dynamo server/Invert the mood matrix/Cross the poli-ellipsoid aggression relay/Yank that thing out", "Tweak the multiphased polarity/Replace the pyrolithic sub-node/Prime the necrochromatic over-field.", and the result is sometimes your experiment actually doesn't blow up the golem!

I realize this is a rather small thing to be so amazed about, but I thought it was awesome!

Piecake

Wow this game amazes me every day I play it. Today I decided to roll my Asura Elementalist alt, and going to one of the very first Asura Tasks has the option to "Experiment on Sleeping Golems".

On my Sylvari, the options were like, "Cut the green/blue/yellow/random wire", "Turn the round thing/Wiggle the square thing/Push the triangle thing", etc., and the result was always that the golem turned into a bomb and exploded.

On my Asura, the options are much more Asura-like: "Ether-the dynamo server/Invert the mood matrix/Cross the poli-ellipsoid aggression relay/Yank that thing out", "Tweak the multiphased polarity/Replace the pyrolithic sub-node/Prime the necrochromatic over-field.", and the result is sometimes your experiment actually doesn't blow up the golem!

I realize this is a rather small thing to be so amazed about, but I thought it was awesome!

Im kinda curious what the options would be as a Norn. Punch the wire! Poor ale over that square thing. Yell real loudly at it!

It's my only significant issue with the game. The jumping puzzles can be brutal with that camera (ex: the one in the Sylvari starting zone), among other things like tense battles in enclosed areas.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Let's not be so quick to point fingers when it comes to drama, as I don't see you as blameless in that. Hawkian and Thetrin may have been a bit dismissive in their responses, but you are putting a hell of a lot of words in their mouths, and assuming intentions that I don't believe are actually there.

Maybe just chill for a bit, and then you can discuss it in a less accusatory manner.
Personally just trying to avoid any drama going forward. Just let it go.

Neither of you will convince the other at this point and after the discussion about builds and specs I just thought it better to not get involved. I did think the argument was funny. Sorry to Jack and any others if I seemed dismissive.

How could there be drama about this gaming masterpiece. So are exotic pets (orange text) mystic forged? Mini oak heart, mini witch, undead chicken, those ones. Put 4 yellow in the forge and maybe get an orange?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Personally, and I've said this before, I usually wait to pass judgement on MMO mishaps for about 6 months. Everything will be rocky.

Again, my concern with defending those who voice their concern is not defending their point of view directly, but defending them from people like Hawkian and thetrin who reduce their own points of view by resorting to childish attacks at posters in question because their experiences are different.

My respect for those two dropped by a zillion. People are often most vocal and judgmental about things they like - which is why I voice my concern for what I feel are my game-breakers. Coming at someone with snide remarks for voicing concern because you don't happen to think those concerns carry weight - speaks volumes about the characters of Hawkian and thetrin.

Personally directed attacks because they don't care about X the same way someone else cares about it is uncalled for. It's bullshit behavior that belongs elsewhere.

I expect them to act better. Disagreement is 100% acceptable. Disagreement with personal attacks? PFFFFT.

EDIT: I also find it highly comical that an OFFICER of GAFguild would be the one to start "drama". Don't we have a no drama policy? Or are officers immune to guild rules and can freely talk trash to whomever they want? If that's the case - I'm out.

Bold 1: Ironic. Isn't it?

Bold 2: Cool. At least they had some level of decency to begin with.

Bold 3: Nice to have expectations but don't have them when you act the way you do in the first place.

Bold 4: That applies in-game. I've already made this point clear a long way back. Thread drama is fine since the mods will take care of it. In-game is for the me and the other officers to decide. Thank you.

Finally got to 400 armorsmithing. That was a bitch. I don't really like the way crafting works in this game, it has its nice things and all, but it's just as shitty as in most MMOs. At least I crafted some exotic dragon pants that look pretty cool.

EGcUO.png

Damn dude you look godly. WTB that helm

I really, really hate leveling crafting right now. The amount of mats and their type for Armorsmithi is just stupid to me.

Yeah. Armorsmithing is not fun. I am level 30 something right now and I don't have enough materials to craft anything worthwhile. My armorcraft skill is still stuck at ~50 as a result.

Cooking is basically the only tolerable one for me.

Also as far as traits go, how is this for Guardian? Maxed Zeal, Maxed Honor, 10 in Virtue. I plan on maxing Zeal for the juicy Greatsword skills. I think maxing Honor gives me an abiltiy that reduces TH weapon cooldowns.

Piecake

Yeah. Armorsmithing is not fun. I am level 30 something right now and I don't have enough materials to craft anything worthwhile. My armorcraft skill is still stuck at ~50 as a result.

Cooking is basically the only tolerable one for me.

Also as far as traits go, how is this for Guardian? Maxed Zeal, Maxed Honor, 10 in Virtue.

Jeweler is pretty easy too. I actually liked that one. They really need to up the drop rate on fine mats since its pretty tellign that the two best crafting disciplines dont use them

And just be thankful youre not a leatherworker or tailor. Defintiely worse than armorsmith since cloth and leather are a lot harder to come by

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The game keeps freezing for me so I have to pass the time either writing the review or posting here.

Unless you have an addiction to stress then not responding to hypocrites that call you out on things would probably keep you sane longer :p
I was feeling pretty demoralized until I picked up some sweet-looking armor. Feels much more fun pounding people in WvW when you look like a badass.
I love the tribal looking set you get around level 30 for humans. Been keeping the skin the whole time.

Artanisix

I was feeling pretty demoralized until I picked up some sweet-looking armor. Feels much more fun pounding people in WvW when you look like a badass.

And the West and East sides of the WvW map are so uneven. The West side is much easier to defend and much easier to push north. East side is ridiculous, it's a joke they playtested this and thought it all balanced out.
I'm not sure why it's not a symmetrical tri-spoke for truest balance.

I'm burning through my coins to buy mats and keep up my crafting with my level. I've had at most 54 silver at one time and I'm level 30. Never had a gold coin to my name :(

For crafting discovery, can anyone confirm for me that the QUANTITY of a material matters and a new recipe won't show up (or even be alluded to) unless I have enough of a said material, i.e., I can't have one of each level-appropriate mat and go crazy. Because if true then my alt's life is going to be much tougher given how much coin I've donated to the WvWvW cause :(

To think that ArenaNet should let the "community" guide their hand in anything is wishful thinking at best, and dangerously misguided at worst. I can't express how relieved I am that ArenaNet would never do such thing. If there's one single thing worse than design by committee, it's design by audience.

I'm all for consumer entitlement (heck, I'm the first to complain when a company screws over their consumer, which is pretty much daily), but I think ArenaNet can't really do much more than what they are doing. Believe me, all the whining you can do is orders of magnitude less pressing to them than the company reputation they are perfectly aware of losing. I very much doubt any marketplace ever has gone from zero to hundreds of millions of items being listed worldwide without a hitch; crafting materials hover around the several hundreds of thousands of units each, and realize each individual item has an associated user id and price (among others). The volume of information being accessed in real-time is quite staggering.

That said, people fail to see the bigger picture, which is that the game itself is more stable and lag-free now, at less than two weeks after release, that most MMOs are within months of their launch. How quickly do people forget about stuff like WoW's loot lag, etc.

Finally, could we (and I mean both camps) please take the ad-hominem attacks out of this forum? We can discuss different and even opposing points of view without degrading those in front if you. I know we are better than this. :)

I've been saying this all year!

Piecake

Can I just go on the record and mention that I can't believe I lost my anonymity hood.

Start up a new thf and chuck the hood into your bank?

You must have at least 1 lowbie character you can delete for a little while

For crafting discovery, can anyone confirm for me that the QUANTITY of a material matters and a new recipe won't show up (or even be alluded to) unless I have enough of a said material, i.e., I can't have one of each level-appropriate mat and go crazy. Because if true then my alt's life is going to be much tougher given how much coin I've donated to the WvWvW cause :(

Not really sure what you mean, but so long as you have both pieces of gear and an insignia you should be able to get a discovery. quantity really doesnt matter in that situation. You just have to have a combination of the 2 piece equipment and insignia that you havent discovered yet.

The only thing that limits you in discovery is your crafting level and if you have already crafted the item. If you have 6 ravaging insignia then you need six different 2 piece gear combos to get 6 different discoveries. If you have 6 different insignias, you can have the same 6 2 piece gear combo to get 6 different discoveries.

Jobacca

Neo Member
Where are the karma vendors? I am in Rata Sum right now, but these Cultural Weapons/Armor vendors are just too much karma atm.

Ken

The longer the mob has been alive in the game the higher the exp bonus. It's easy this way to get bonuses larger than the base exp if you go kill stuff in remote places.

]

Man I should have gotten the Karma helmet instead of the chestpiece from the Balthazar karma vendor. I look pretty dumb.

Exotically dumb.

Ken

Oh god, thats hilarious. that helm is horrifically awful in an amusing way

Yeeeah. I'm going to transmute when I get the exotic helmet I want. I like the Doric Helmet but it has a different texture than the rest of my armor; applying white gold makes it shinier than the rest of my armor.

Not really sure what you mean, but so long as you have both pieces of gear and an insignia you should be able to get a discovery. quantity really doesnt matter in that situation. You just have to have a combination of the 2 piece equipment and insignia that you havent discovered yet.
We can't discover the insignias themselves?

Edit: do unchecked helmets still appear to other players? Keep forgetting to ask my fellow players.

inky

GAF, help me decide which alt to play first!

DNySt.png

I have the gems to make a male Sylvari mesmer too, but I don't really like the class

Alex

sPvP seems kinda wonky due to some class balancing issues at the moment. It stands to reason why everyone is suddenly making Thieves and Mesmers to PvP on :lol

Auto scaling includes it's own problems I suppose; when there's a flavor of the month, now everyone has free reign to be it.

Forkball

I'm level 28 and all the greatswords I've acquired still look like the default one. Boo.

I'm level 50 and my offhand dagger looks like a level 1 dagger. Fortunately I have a cool yellow one to balance it out. But visual loot scaling is definitely a problem in the game. I suppose they want you to invest in high tier cultural and special armors, but there's no way a level 50 character should resemble a level one character at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom