• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Tea Shade to Midnight Teal:

alNVx.jpg

Llyranor

thieves seem to be quite populated, especially in spvp.
The thieves I see in sPvP just spam Heartseeker. My builds are usually built with good escape/evasion mechanisms, so it hasn't bothered me that much. But it's sad to see the thief reduced to just one-skill spam. I *love* the thief in sPvP, and I barely touched heartseeker.

Concept17

Forgive the ignorance as I'm not playing the game yet, but I was wondering about PvE, specifically end-game.

How does this game differ from WoW and most other cookie-cutter MMOs? I know the classes are all viable for any role, and you don't have to worry about having a tank, healer, etc.. but how does this work on bigger bosses, and dungeons?

Are there any dungeons that are public? Are they all instanced? Are there ones meant for say, 5 people? 20 people? How viable is it to solo your way through things?

01DragonFly

The thieves I see in sPvP just spam Heartseeker. My builds are usually built with good escape/evasion mechanisms, so it hasn't bothered me that much. But it's sad to see the thief reduced to just one-skill spam. I *love* the thief in sPvP, and I barely touched heartseeker.

yeah >.< I got mad that I was getting killed by thiefs so fast, had to change a lot in my ranger build , now mesmers can kill me really easy but there is less people playing them.

In Honor I'm using the shield of absorption while rezzing, and one other that doesn't come to mind. Sorry, I'm not at my gaming rig right now.
I have the shield of absorption and didn't have a good first impression of it, especially in WvWvW. The shield only seems to be up for 1-1.5 seconds, and in WvWvW it draws a lot of attention in the middle of a zergfest.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Forgive the ignorance as I'm not playing the game yet, but I was wondering about PvE, specifically end-game.

How does this game differ from WoW and most other cookie-cutter MMOs? I know the classes are all viable for any role, and you don't have to worry about having a tank, healer, etc.. but how does this work on bigger bosses, and dungeons?

Are there any dungeons that are public? Are they all instanced? Are there ones meant for say, 5 people? 20 people? How viable is it to solo your way through things?

Let's see what I can bullet point to answer your questions.

- On bigger bosses, each character has an established role, but that role is determined by how you spec your character, rather than by the class you picked a long time ago. Every class can be anything. Yes, you will take a role, but that role is what you want.

- Endgame isn't raiding. There is no raiding in GW2. Instead, the entire island or Orr (the end game zone) is nothing but chains of huge dynamic events that, when successful, culminate in a story dungeon where you fight Zhaitan, the undead elder dragon. I haven't gotten there yet, but lots of people have said Zhaitan is awesome.

- Dungeons are all instanced. They're tuned to be done in groups of five. Otherwise, events in the world are tuned to as many or as few members as are in the area of the event upon its beginning. You can solo pretty much anything, but "solo" isn't really the same as other MMOs. You don't have to join a party to reap the rewards of a large event. You can just walk into the event, pull your weight with a bunch of random people, and you'll get your rewards. there's no kill stealing, no loot stealing, and events are designed to have lots of players spontaneously working together.

- If you are a raider and looking for gear checks, don't play GW2. It's not about gear checks, and it never will be. If that's what you go into MMOs expecting, you will be sorely disappointed. However, if you go into MMOs expecting large scale battles and fun with people you may or may not know, you will really enjoy GW2. GW2's events (outside of dungeons) are all about spontaneous grouping, and the game has that in spades.

- On bigger bosses, each character has an established role, but that role is determined by how you spec your character, rather than by the class you picked a long time ago. Every class can be anything. Yes, you will take a role, but that role is what you want.

- Endgame isn't raiding. There is no raiding in GW2. Instead, the entire island or Orr (the end game zone) is nothing but chains of huge dynamic events that, when successful, culminate in a story dungeon where you fight Zhaitan, the undead elder dragon. I haven't gotten there yet, but lots of people have said Zhaitan is awesome.

- Dungeons are all instanced. They're tuned to be done in groups of five. Otherwise, events in the world are tuned to as many or as few members as are in the area of the event upon its beginning. You can solo pretty much anything, but "solo" isn't really the same as other MMOs. You don't have to join a party to reap the rewards of a large event. You can just walk into the event, pull your weight with a bunch of random people, and you'll get your rewards. there's no kill stealing, no loot stealing, and events are designed to have lots of players spontaneously working together.

- If you are a raider and looking for gear checks, don't play GW2. It's not about gear checks, and it never will be. If that's what you go into MMOs expecting, you will be sorely disappointed. However, if you go into MMOs expecting large scale battles and fun with people you may or may not know, you will really enjoy GW2. GW2's events (outside of dungeons) are all about spontaneous grouping, and the game has that in spades.

Sounds like this is just for me, I prefer to play solo or with randoms, dont like raids and all that other stuff, thats not me, just want to play and have some fun building my character, I will be picking this up.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sounds like this is just for me, I prefer to play solo or with randoms, dont like raids and all that other stuff, thats not me, just want to play and have some fun building my character, I will be picking this up.

Then GW2 is the game for you. I usually play MMOs with a set of regular players, and GW2 is the first MMO I've played where it's legitimately fun to venture around by yourself. In fact, I tend to wander around by myself a LOT, since there's no real linear progression to where you travel and what you do at your level. I tend to get sidetracked and wander about, stumbling into events and doing whatever catches my fancy.

Is it just me or is fighting those flying boss types at melee range a huge pain in the ass?

Camera just can't cope.

Btw I'm still a bit confused with what guardians should do in boss fights if you don't want to support with staff. You can't just tank traditionally like in other mmos.

Trey

Even further, all classes can switch roles within a fight due to weapon/kit/attunement switching. It's not as intrinsic as trait switching, but it's more dynamic.

thetrin

Is it just me or is fighting those flying boss types at melee range a huge pain in the ass?

Camera just can't cope.

Btw I'm still a bit confused with what guardians should do in boss fights if you don't want to support with staff. You can't just tank traditionally like in other mmos.

Well, there's no tanking, period. You should be using your utility and weapon skills to mitigate damage. Add vulnerability to enemies, Add boons to yourself and pull conditions off your teammates. Add shields to yourself using weapons skills and pop virtues for that extra edge.

You have an insane amount of options when you're fighting at close range.

kagete

Citadel of Flame's 1st path's legendary flame effigy that spawns healing crystals seems like a gear check of sorts. Well it's really a DPS check that's still possible for under-geared groups as long as everyone ZONES in.

I'm pleasantly suprised by the dungeons so far as they seem to require actual teamwork that isn't tank/spank-based. The basic trick to beating most of them instead comes down to boulders, all variations of them, being ridiculously OP. They're basically one-shot siege weapons for taking down bosses.

Well, there's no tanking, period. You should be using your utility and weapon skills to mitigate damage. Add vulnerability to enemies, Add boons to yourself and pull conditions off your teammates. Add shields to yourself using weapons skills and pop virtues for that extra edge.

You have an insane amount of options when you're fighting at close range.

Problem is that I have no clue who has aggro.
Hmmmm. I guess I should play around some more. I'm only lvl 20 so hopefully I can figure out a good build for my needs.

thetrin

Problem is that I have no clue who has aggro.
Hmmmm. I guess I should play around some more. I'm only lvl 20 so hopefully I can figure out a good build for my needs.

Keep playing. You'll better understand battle dynamics as you play more.

Bogus

Sorry for being dense, but I can't seem to figure out how to utilize the "Call Target" function. I originally presumed that you just highlight a target and press CTRL+T, and then you should be able to press T at any time to instantly re-select that target (like how "Focus Target" works in Warcraft, for example). There's no visual indication that pressing CTRL+T does anything, though, and when I press T after dropping or cycling targets, I'm not automatically brought back to the called one. I must be misunderstanding the feature! Does it only work in Parties, perhaps?

This game is seriously cool. It kindles my passion to explore simply for the adventurous joy of it all -- an experience most recently mirrored in Dark Souls, albeit painted there with a much grimmer brush.

I love how Guild Wars naturally fosters cooperation between friends and strangers. It's especially impressive when I compare it to my time with Warcraft, where for the most part, the only people I'd chat with were my close friends or guildmates. True, interactions with others will always depend upon your motivation -- if you don't make an effort, why should you expect anyone else to? -- but in the past week of playing for a couple of hours every night, I've realized that Guild Wars, through a series of very simple tweaks to fundamental mechanics, has changed the social landscape I'm used to encountering in an MMO.

In seven years of playing Warcraft, I can't remember very many run-ins with random strangers that ended with a pleasant story to retell later by the hearthstone. We usually passed each other by, tangled in our own journeys and quest logs, or we fumed at each other silently (or not so silently) for reaching the rich Thorium vein or rare mob first. The game simply isn't built to make you want to do stuff -- or, in the worst cases of ninja looting or griefing, even feel comfortable doing stuff -- with random people. In one week of playing Guild Wars for no more than a couple of hours each night, I've found myself constantly interested in other players. "Where's that warrior going? Exploring that cave? Looks like fun!" "Whoa, that Mesmer is about to get bushwhacked by that train of Grawl. I should go help!" "Dredge running rampant on fallen allies? Not in this Norn's hills!"

Guild Wars is fresh, so some of that is to be expected -- and I don't begrudge Warcraft at all, I've had a super fun time with that game -- but still, I can't attribute all of it to that new MMO smell alone. A small example, but it honestly struck me: every player I've seen revived has thanked the folks who helped them. And why shouldn't we help and thank each other? Monsters can't be tagged and reserved, resource nodes can't be stolen or exhausted in one person's favor, events scale in difficulty to the number of active participants, experience and loot are shared and distributed equally regardless of whether or not everyone is in a party together... build a framework that promotes benefiting from mutual interests, and people will be more inclined to work together. It's incredibly engrossing, and I've never encountered it in an online game before to this extent (and I'd like to think I'm a pretty empathic person).

Well, my train of thought went completely off the rails there, but yeah - I'm really enjoying this game. Now to figure out how to call targets properly!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm a little bothered by the fact that Harathi Hinterlands is basically Arathi Highlands + The Hinterlands, haha.

Bogus

Yup. Sort of an oversight imo.

I agree with everything else you said too btw.

Bummer! Well, so it goes. I hope they change that at some point, because it's tough sometimes to keep a handle on important mobs when they show up in packs, even during random world events!

And thanks -- being encouraged to see fellow players as friends rather than as competition really is refreshing!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Some screenshots that I took today and yesterday.
iCMpO1eNajRE1.jpg

Personal story quest.
iP6UPSVx7q7a4.jpg

GAF party before the Shatterer fight.
isNC9goDhBmwI.jpg

The fight, easy tank and spank.
iUqIfXbcqIwzB.jpg

My character with charcoal and frost dyes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Some screenshots that I took today and yesterday.

Was this from the fight that happened like, 2 hours ago? I was on my way there when I realized I needed to take off back to the office. :( Hopefully I'll get to do that fight with everyone this weekend - I'm leveling in that zone right now!

T.O.P

Banned
Sooooo yesterday i fought the Shatterer = no medal or chest

Today i just did the second instance, last boss bugged we had to go out

i think i'll take some day of pause

thetrin

This happened twice to me with Shatterer. I assume it's a bug, but it's really annoying.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

This happened to me when I fought the OTHER huge dragon. Not sure what his name was, but he was huge, had (what looked like) no eyes, and summoned a bunch of bone walls. I spent a while in that fight only to get no reward of any kind. It was a HUUUUUUGE buzz kill.

Rpgmonkey

The freedom is really wonderful. It has a dark side, though. The problem of providing this kind of freedom, with still encouraging players to band together, make friends, and strategize, remains unsolved. This could still be the game; they seem on the verge of it, since the other problem of not wanting players around when you're leveling has been completely solved, so it might be that as the game evolves, it becomes what I'm asking for. Still, I wish it would have launched that way.

Some bosses seem to have it. People consistently shout for help in /map when Kol spawns. Imagine that going down in several ways on each map.

Although I haven't been to anything past level 50 areas. Perhaps exactly what I'm talking about is already in the game, just at endgame.

I remember I and some other people were in some mini dungeon (Flame Temple Tombs I think), and since the game is pretty new and none of us had much experience with it, we had to communicate and work together to figure out how to get to the end.

While I also love the freedom, it's definitely very rewarding and fun to have moments where you work together for a goal. I also hope the game develops that over time, and/or they add a few things in patches and expansions to further encourage it.

The 70-80 zones seem a little better at it though, mostly because there's more situations where you run into Veteran and Champion-tier mobs, making it tougher (if not impossible) to do everything alone. At least that's what it feels like.

Metroid

Okay GAF, I am playing a Thief and was wondering how the Combo System works. Apparantly I can combo my own attacks or perform cross profession combos. But how do they work?
Another question that I have is why my F1 skill (normally Steal) sometimes switches to another skill, how does this work?

First thought though: Great game!

Retro

I guess my ban came off on Saturday, but I've been too busy playing to care or notice.

For those who ordered early, watch your mailboxes for the Guild Wars 2 soundtrack. Got mine today, after ordering on July 11th. 78 tracks of bliss.

To anyone who has been whispering me for invites and not being able to get in, I'm sorry; guild invites were broken as hell for the first week or so. I tried every time though. If I didn't respond to a whisper, chances are I was AFK or sitting in character creation (it shows you as logged in if you're at character select). Crazy to think this game has only been out two weeks.

Otherwise, I've just been hanging out in Guild Chat, helping people out and slowly exploring. Remember to get on Mumble, as I'm (almost) always on.

Haven't been taking as many screenshots as I would like. Here's a few;
Gendarran Field
2dApj.jpg

Dredgehaunt Cliffs
a954o.jpg

zF096.jpg

Performing unspeakable acts with a bear.
csVt4.jpg

Decided to make a character as close to my appearance as possible, like Maxrpg and Kos Luftar (/salute @, see you in December). Not as close as I would like (the goatee is too thin, no hair styles like mine), but it works.
ho8ZZ.jpg

alVrE.jpg

Ferny, unable to represent GAF but still fighting for great justice.
2HniJ.jpg

Audioboxer

Not sure if to stay Warrior on my Charr or go Engineer. Does later heavy armour look good on Charr? I know medium is quite cool on them.

Guess I get to use rifles either way!

LkPr

I thought about keeping the skin from one of the bow I was using but seeing as I'm only lvl 32 atm and updating my bow every 5 levels or so, I'll be going through a lot of Tranmutation stones before I get lvl 80 with a max stat bow lol

Morokh

Finally I have the whole week-end ahead of me to play the game, so I would love a guild invite ;)

Kentsui.4930
Character name is : Wilkz

thanks in advance !

thetrin

Finally I have the whole week-end ahead of me to play the game, so I would love a guild invite ;)

Kentsui.4930
Character name is : Wilkz

thanks in advance !

I recommend PMing an officer if you want an invite.

Hawkian The Blade
Ashodin Ventreal
Retro
gojira

Trey

I thought about keeping the skin from one of the bow I was using but seeing as I'm only lvl 32 atm and updating my bow every 5 levels or so, I'll be going through a lot of Tranmutation stones before I get lvl 80 with a max stat bow lol

Clear zones. You will have no shortage of T stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom