• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say again, I love this game. So much fun. So many places you could quest and gather mats for crafting. I adore the underwater combat and the game looks great.

Ricker

Hey guys. I just popped in my nvidia card that I've had laying around for a bit now. Are we still on beta drivers?

Yep,304.79 the ones where the control panel freezes when I hit system information...

Launcher downloading a crapload of files for me, almost feels like it's reloading the whole client -.-
..with a download rate of roughly 300 kb/s...

Did they add a huge update or is my installation just acting up? I played earlier today, so I don't really understand what's going on.

Shouldn't do that,something is definetly acting up on your game...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What do you mean? I'm genuinely pissed they won't let me buy the game. My internet buddies are all playing GW2 and I'm left out in the cold.
Do you think they're being intentionally mean or something just to mess with people?
...What? I've never heard of a company stop selling their game via DD. Not only that but I really had no reason to buy it before yesterday because my HTPC wasn't finished yet. If I had known these valuable keys would be rationed like cigarettes in prison I would have bought it earlier.
I hadn't ever heard of it either. Do you understand why they are doing it...?
What's everyone's opinion about Level Scaling so far? Not sure if I like it or not...
In my opinion this implementation is the best we've ever seen.

You feel WAY more powerful when you go back to lowbie zones, but you can't just stop paying attention either. Get swarmed and you'll still die. You still get appropriate level loot running around there (most importantly it sells to the merch for more than the stuff you'd get in that zone at the "appropriate level") and relevant XP (especially for 100%ing a zone!) to make it always worthwhile to go to a zone you've never done before even if it's "too low" for you.

Cheech

I'm not sure what's wrong with the reading comprehension, but you can't order hard copies from Amazon either without paying through the nose to a "third party reseller".

It is literally not possible to buy this game. I'm not upset, but I was ready to impulse buy this game this weekend, and I can't. Oh well. I'll just play Dawnguard instead.

Puckmarin

Banned
I'm not sure what's wrong with the reading comprehension, but you can't order hard copies from Amazon either without paying through the nose to a "third party reseller".

It is literally not possible to buy this game. I'm not upset, but I was ready to impulse buy this game this weekend, and I can't. Oh well. I'll just play Dawnguard instead.

Have you tried Best Buy's direct download service? That's where I ended up getting my copy a couple of days ago.

Flamethrower kit got stealth buffed. The trait that gives 200 toughness no longer slows your movement speed but instead gives 15 secs of might every 3 seconds while you have it equipped. Pretty sick

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Well, that's not true. You're right that first-party Amazon sales are sold out (holy crap), there were 10 or so copies in my local Best Buy yesterday. It's definitely getting into "call up stores to get somebody to hold a copy" territory.

Damn, I thought sales would be crazy, but
KuGsj.gif

Flamethrower kit got stealth buffed. The trait that gives 200 toughness no longer slows your movement speed but instead gives 15 secs of might every 3 seconds while you have it equipped. Pretty sick

Just tested it. You get permanent 6 stacks of Might because the secs reset time is before it loses a stack so you get 6 stacks forever as long as you have the flamethrower equipped. Really great buff to flamethrower build

It is a nerf, people used it for the immune to interrupt while stomping, which was a bit op.

Just tested it. You get permanent 6 stacks of Might because the secs reset time is before it loses a stack so you get 6 stacks forever as long as you have the flamethrower equipped. Really great buff to flamethrower build
Sounds like a nerf waiting to happen.

It's a nerf for PVP, and a huge buff for PVE. Makes Flamethrower a PVE weapon really.

Interesting, can't wait to try it. The flamethrower dmg is condition dmg, right? so have some of that on armors/jewelry? or stick with power? also, does the 1st skill crit (the main flame attack)

Yasae

Banned
"Is the stuff the karma merchants at the heart spots sell randomized? I could have sworn I bought some cherries yesterday and when I went back today he doesn't sell them anymore. Same with the chocolate bars..."

They nerfed this just yesterday. So now, Cooking is not only more of a pain in the ass to level, you still don't make any money off of it! GJ ArenaNet.
Basically. I think I've made..... maybe 5 silver off of my cooking results? And that's at level 239. I knew it wasn't a big earner but you've gotta be kidding me. You'll spend way more than you make, so feel free to subsidize it with other trade.

hyelife

Anyone that has played Tera and switched to GW2 can you tell me how it compares and if its worth picking up? I've been on the fence since I already have Tera, but the game has become boring with its quest's and simple class system.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Anyone that has played Tera and switched to GW2 can you tell me how it compares and if its worth picking up? I've been on the fence since I already have Tera, but the game has become boring with its quest's and simple class system.

Combat in tera shits all over GW2 combat, BUUUUUUT the class verity and design and overall flow of the game blows tera away in almost every aspect. I recomend watching angry joes review of the game it's pretty good honestly and how I feel about the game for the most part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y

vertopci

Combat in tera shits all over GW2 combat, BUUUUUUT the class verity and design and overall flow of the game blows tera away in almost every aspect. I recomend watching angry joes review of the game it's pretty good honestly and how I feel about the game for the most part.

Gonna have to disagree with that...only thing tera has over GW2 are the healing mechanics imo

KePoW

Banned

I think TERA still has better combat and graphics.

But GW2 has a lot of other innovative out-of-the-box things about it. There's more to do (content-wise), and I really like the weapon class system in GW2.

For those of you who will laugh about TERA even though you haven't actually played it up to high level, don't sell it short. The combat is among the best there is in any MMO. And the graphics/optimization is incredible.

Let me get this straight: nobody knows when they will start selling digital downloads again? Google has come up with nothing.

No words from anet that I've heard. There are still a pretty good number of physical copies out there, though. I went to a gamestop a couple days ago to get a copy for my girlfriend and they had over a dozen sitting around. The other one closest to me had sold out days ago. It's just a matter of luck and demographics.

Arenanet will get more server space together (and therefore sell digital copies again). It's just a matter of when.

KePoW

Banned
Well, 'shits all over' isnt exactly rocket science is it?

Teras combat is awful.

Lol what??? Even for people who don't like TERA overall, I've never heard anyone say the combat is bad.

Unless someone sucks at the real-time action nature of it

markot

Banned
Graphics and artstyle are among the worst ive seen for Tera.

And if you have to play to a high level, then its a poorly designed game too, beyond the obvious design flaws like 90% of the game.

Dont read much if you havent heard criticisms of teras combat.

vertopci

I think TERA still has better combat and graphics.

But GW2 has a lot of other innovative out-of-the-box things about it. There's more to do (content-wise), and I really like the weapon class system in GW2.

For those of you who will laugh about TERA even though you haven't actually played it up to high level, don't sell it short. The combat is among the best there is in any MMO. And the graphics/optimization is incredible.

Seems to me that combat in tera was the same as other MMOs with tabtargeting/autolock removed. They didn't do anything special outside of that or expand on anything outside of that.

At a basic level I guess tera combat is better than GW2, but when you throw in the variety of builds, skill required, etc, combat goes to GW2 easily. PvP is horrendous in tera

Jack_AG

Banned
Graphics and artstyle are among the worst ive seen for Tera.

And if you have to play to a high level, then its a poorly designed game too, beyond the obvious design flaws like 90% of the game.

Dont read much if you havent heard criticisms of teras combat.
PvP in GW2 forces you to 80 in both WvW and sPvP.
Dungeons are level-locked in GW2 forcing you into high level play.
The trait system is incomplete unless you are 80.

Lots about GW2 forces high-level play. The only thing that doesn't is the leveling experience... which is used to get you to 80.

So then, in your eyes GW2 is a poorly designed game since it forces so many concepts to be complete at level cap.

Reikon

I still prefer the boss battles in Tera as a tank (which is a very important distinction since it plays much differently than DPS) over any boss battle I've had so far in GW2. Granted I'm only level 50 in GW2, but the dungeons and major area bosses so far don't inspire much confidence in it becoming much more than avoiding AoE spam.

Fights against normal monsters and basically everything else in the game is better in GW2 though.

markot

Banned
PvP in GW2 forces you to 80 in both WvW and sPvP.
Dungeons are level-locked in GW2 forcing you into high level play.
The trait system is incomplete unless you are 80.

Lots about GW2 forces high-level play. The only thing that doesn't is the leveling experience... which is used to get you to 80.

So then, in your eyes GW2 is a poorly designed game since it forces so many concepts to be complete at level cap.

1. In wvwvw its to try and even the playing field. In spvp its to make sure its about skill and what not over stats.

2. Dungeons are lvl locked because they are tuned for certain levels.

3. The point was "For those of you who will laugh about TERA even though you haven't actually played it up to high level, don't sell it short. The combat is among the best there is in any MMO. " The combat isn the best in the early levels, so the assumption is that it gets better at high levels. Well in GW2 the combat remains mostly the same, skills change, and are an artifical carrot to get you out there, as well as traits, but you generally can try any and everything from lvl 3.

2San

They're opinions. You expressed yours, and he expressed his.

Here's mine: "Haha."
I'll give mine too. Tera's combat is a lot better(both PvE and PvP). You are way more in control with what's actually happening and are actually able to avoid damage with pure skill. You can actually solo party mobs and higher level content(which isn't smart because of the lack of damage, but it's possible). Slower paced combat also allowed for a more deliberate and thought out combat.

The graphics of GW2 isn't really that much worse then Tera's. At first glance Tera's graphics is way better, but when I reached Divinity's Reach I changed my tune. The city is huge with lots of interesting things happening in it. The graphics of GW2 definitely grew on me. The more open levels really adds to the look of the game. Making a full streaming engine, but breaking area's with high mountains is probably the dumbest design choice ever. While GW2 is zone based it feels a lot more open.
1. In wvwvw its to try and even the playing field. In spvp its to make sure its about skill and what not over stats.

2. Dungeons are lvl locked because they are tuned for certain levels.

3. The point was "For those of you who will laugh about TERA even though you haven't actually played it up to high level, don't sell it short. The combat is among the best there is in any MMO. " The combat isn the best in the early levels, so the assumption is that it gets better at high levels. Well in GW2 the combat remains mostly the same, skills change, and are an artifical carrot to get you out there, as well as traits, but you generally can try any and everything from lvl 3.

GW2 fails in world pvp though, in the fact it has none. Even though quest structure is shit in Tera, the good combat and challenge combined with open pvp. Allowed for a lot more dynamic lvling experience. With GW2 I need to take breaks from the PvE to PvP, otherwise I get burned out.

Overall I think GW2 is better, but Tera has done some great things. Other devs can really learn from it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
For all the complaints about the event system. I'm finding it's faster than a normal questing system once you really get into the flow of it. Did about 3-5 events (including two group events) this morning and gained quite a bit of XP.

Shame that last group event I did didn't drop any loot though.;_;

markot

Banned
You have control in GW2 as well, so do enemies.

You can avoid damage too with 'Pure skill'.

Slower paced combat is boring in an mmo when you are killing so many things.

I was never more bored when playing a caster in tera, melee was only slightly more bearable.

Its a bad monster hunter. And thats saying something cause the combat in monster hunter is pretty bad.

Actually GW2 has alot of world pvp in the world pvp zones. It seperated the two and it was a good move because artifical factions and the stupid system tera have are pretty awful to balance around.

2San

No way to the same extent.
Erm you kill mobs at the same pace. Are you just talking out of your ass? However skills don't pop out instantly so you opponent has a chance to react. You have consider the risk and reward of using skills since you are locked into an
I was never more bored when playing a caster in tera, melee was only slightly more bearable.

Its a bad monster hunter. And thats saying something cause the combat in monster hunter is pretty bad.
Now you are just straight up trolling.
Actually GW2 has alot of world pvp in the world pvp zones. It seperated the two and it was a good move because artifical factions and the stupid system tera have are pretty awful to balance around.
Yeah having everything in one world and being able to kill anyone in that world is artificial, but separating everything and imposing restrictions isn't? Is it harder to balance? Sure, but you gain a lot by allowing it.

PvE in this game takes no skill. Unless you consider circle-strafing and evading 3 second cast time charge-up spells skill

markot

Banned
Being locked into animations makes the combat complete shit. You shouldnt have to 'commit' to a move, its not rock paper scissors, its about timing and reaction.

G.Newell

A quick question, ive been eating chocolate cherries for the bonus 24% magic find if you have a boon on you. Would the minor sigil of bloodlust ( 5 power per kill, 25 stacks) count?

T.O.P

Banned
Gotta agree, Tera's combat was so much more fun and much more rewarding (pvp was incredible for an mmo), shame that quests and the world itself were kinda of a letdown in the late game and i got bored e.e

Give me the world of GW2 and the combat (and the fuckin healer) of Tera and i'd nerdgasm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom