• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
I was in an explore mode dungeon with another thief who questioned why I'd ever go melee given thieves die in one shot. It made me want to quit right then, thieves have great survivability if they're not built as glass cannons (which doesn't make any scene in pvp). On top of that they've got enough blinks/escapes that getting out of situations when they get hairy is never too hard.

Well there is a popular glass cannon builds with heartseeker for pvp, probably the only build they know.

jokkir

Man, lag is really screwing me over in this game. I press a skill and a few seconds later, I see the animation for that skill and a ton of health lost. Bleh

Cheech

I checked Best Buy's digital download site, and they were sold out of keys too. Thanks to whomever suggested them, though!

RealMeat

Banned
ora0D.jpg
What do you guys think? Too meta?

Puckmarin

Banned
I checked Best Buy's digital download site, and they were sold out of keys too. Thanks to whomever suggested them, though!

I checked right after I posted it, sorry...

A couple of Guardian questions:

1) What do people think of a sword/torch weapon combo? I like the idea of a lot of fire.

2) What's considered the most viable PvP build? How about PvE?

KingKong

Oh man, I just fought the
plague dragon when retaking Claw Island. The concept was awesome but man, it was so easy. I dont think I took any damage

Jack_AG

Banned
My main is a warrior and I want to know what you're doing that you aren't worried with 7 mobs on you and not getting downed at all. Warriors are pretty great offensively sure, but combat isn't as easy as you make it seem to be.
Mobs clip. Line them up with circle-strafe and I pop my burst. High crit+bleed build and... well that's pretty much it. I also disable Melee Attack Assist to clip through enemies instead of blowing dodges or circling around them. 99% of every mob I encountered attacks where they are facing save for very few AOE attacks.

When I'm feeling frisky I just run figure 8s through them but that's overkill IMO.

Veterans are a bit harder since they tend to AOE a bit more - but wind-ups are generally longer and don't require a doge - I just run through and behind far enough out of range.

Funny... I learned a lot on my WoW mage during vanilla circle-strafe farming 30 mobs - translates far better in this game ha!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Forgot about the monthly experience achievement bug and switched zones at 90k.

;_;

Fix this shit, ANet, come on.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Works in fighters and action games like the DS franchise. Doesn't translate well into MMORPGs, which is why -- if that's what Tera was going for -- it didn't quite work.

It works just fine. It makes the end game dungeons intense as fuck as the margin of error is very tiny. I dont get why people think running around with no weight behind attacks like chickens with their heads cutoff = good.

You can't get a fight like argon queen levels of challenge and skill in any other mmo right now.

It works just fine. It makes the end game dungeons intense as fuck as the margin of error is very tiny. I dont get why people think running around with no weight behind attacks like chickens with their heads cutoff = good.

You can't get a fight like argon queen levels of challenge and skill in any other mmo right now.

I agree. TERA proved that it works in a MMO setting.

I am confused when people say Guild Wars 2 is like an action game because you can move regardless of what you're actually doing. I don't think I've ever played an action game where you didn't commit to your attacks/actions.

Trey

I'm not a very efficient leveler, I must admit.

I only got to level 20 in Tera. None of that was expressed in the content I got through. If the actual depth of the combat system can only be found in certain boss fights, then I would file that under "didn't quite work."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TERA began at 20, yeah it's shitty but it's true, because 20 is when you get access to most of your class' core skills.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not going to try to defend TERA's many many flaws but the combat is really one thing it got right.

Piecake

Once you hit level 60, the stats sure get a lot better on the blues (im cheap).

I do love me some buy orders. Always seems like someone is willing to sell me gear for 1 copper above vendor price

I would honestly say probably even a bit further than that sadly. The game shines in it's dungeons and BAM fights. Everything else feels a bit dull overall as how easy it was because of said battle system

yep. dungeon and bams are awesome. outside of that is a chore to play. they should have made the whole game just a bunch of instanced dungeons.

and Popori race > all

Pretty new to MMOs, this is sorta the first one Im committed to playing, newb question, how do guys go about fighting, just click on the enemy or do you use the keyboard number keys, just wondering.

Heysoos

Where should I be looking to get armor from at level 80? Should I start saving up for Order of Whisper's armor set or looking elsewhere?

KePoW

Banned
I'm not going to try to defend TERA's many flaws but the combat is really one thing it got right.

Agreed, and that's all I was trying to say on the previous page. I never said GW2 is a bad overall game.

Combat is only one part of a MMO. GW2 has other different positives, which is why I'm playing it a lot right now. But combat is not one of them. (Referring to the action part of the combat... the weapon & skill systems in GW2 are great)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Pretty new to MMOs, this is sorta the first one Im committed to playing, newb question, how do guys go about fighting, just click on the enemy or do you use the keyboard number keys, just wondering.
I just kill enemies and stuff. Seriously though, definitely use keybinds, strafe with keyboard and turn around with a mouse.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You have different skills depending on your weapon.

1-5 on the keyboard are your skills with your weapon. Just worry about learning those for now. You have to unlock them one by one.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I never knew they went cross-eyed at this part:

The better question is, why are you not 80 yet? :p And technically you need to be 70ish, not necessarily 80.

Because the game started when I played it at level 1. I've already shoved 65hrs in to this game and my highest character is level 17. The old idea of "the game starts at 80!" is dead and buried. Thank fuck.

Stuart444

Hey, can you do dungeons with people from other servers without being in the overflow (as long as you're in the same area?)

I know you can do them with people who are in different overflows (discovered a few days back where someone in a different overflow ran into CM and the pop-up for the dungeon appeared for me.) so wondering if you can do them with people on different servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom