• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

2San

Being locked into animations makes the combat complete shit. You shouldnt have to 'commit' to a move, its not rock paper scissors, its about timing and reaction.
Yeah taking out the whole strategy part and removing all thought out of it sounds like great fun. Not to mention Guild Wars 2 has the same thing just to a lesser extent. I'm done discussing things with you though. You obviously have great gaming taste.

hyelife

I already know how the combat system is in Tera, which is AWESOME. My question was more towards the class system as well as questing, leveling, endgame etc..

markot

Banned
Yeah taking out the whole strategy part and removing all thought out of it sounds like great fun. Not to mention Guild Wars 2 has the same thing just to a lesser extent. I'm done discussing things with you though. You obviously have great gaming taste.

Given teras success, it seems my gaming taste is more inline with most people then many here.

Xiaoki

Being locked into animations makes the combat complete shit. You shouldnt have to 'commit' to a move, its not rock paper scissors, its about timing and reaction.

Tactics and strategy are ...like ...hard. Button mashing AoEs are ...like ...awesome.

The half EQ/WoW tab target half semi real time combat in GW2 is not great. It tries to draw from both but manages to not have the strengths from neither.

markot

Banned
Tactics and strategy are ...like ...hard. Button mashing AoEs are ...like ...awesome.

The half EQ/WoW tab target half semi real time combat in GW2 is not great. It tries to draw from both but manages to not have the strengths from neither.

Yeah, because there is so much stratagy and depth to rock paper scissors.

Skill cancelling, aborting moves, is suddenly a bad thing?

And yet here you all are playing GW2 and not Tera. Funny that, cause I couldnt go from 'great' combat to combat that was signficantly less so. Its like going back to driving a datsun after having a ferrari in the garage.

Working on my Norn character now; the Norn have some amazing vistas. Snowy mountain peaks, wide expanses, giant ice sculptures and enormous lodges... just incredible to gawk at.

Deadly

I was reading on the design of the mesmer in GW1 and it all sounded quite interesting. Did they elaborate upon why they made all the changes they did?

Grayman

I was reading on the design of the mesmer in GW1 and it all sounded quite interesting. Did they elaborate upon why they made all the changes they did?
I am not sure if they have but one part of it is that energy doesn't exist in GW2 at all. GW1 mesmer was such an awesome class, really stupidly powerful too. Skills like backfire had the target choose between being shutdown for a long time or take very heavy damage probably around a quarter of their health.

Arken2121

I tried Tera in a trial just before guild wars 2 was released and honestly, I though it was terrible.

1. skills locking you in place is a big no no.
2. I wasn't a fan of the art(my opinion)
3. Dodging in guild wars in my opinion takes much more skill especially when trying to avoid abilities such as frenzied hundred blades or a thief blasting you down
4. teamwork in gw takes actual responsibility and there are greater risks when you have to be self reliant.

I could go on but its just my opinion.

etiolate

Banned
I much prefer GW2's combat to Tera's combat. I've found there to be a lot of depth to GW2's combat that people overlook at first. I can take on multiple higher level mobs. Those wolves and dogs that keep calling extras in are a great way to practice GW2 combat.

There are a couple things holding Tera's combat back. One is the animation lock-in. This makes the combat feel turn based at times when Tera seems to want to be action based. It also limits movement, and once you've felt the movement of GW2's combat, Tera's take starts to feel limiting. The other problem I have is the rather rigid class design in Tera that doesn't really offer much flavor.

Jack_AG

Banned
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls just jumped off my shelf, ran up to the computer and rolled there eyes.

Committing to an attack leaves you open - it creates consequences for your actions as well as your opponent - it takes FAR more positioning and skill to pull off a slow-but-powerful attack knowing that a skilled opponent will take advantage of it if you are not careful.

Being committed IS timing and reaction. You time your attacks and react accordingly. Being able to move and dodge whenever you want in the middle of firing up an ability offers no consequence to taking that chance on that ability.

Trey

I'm so happy the energy bar was taken out. And that health didn't become a "long term resource." Streamlines things immensely.

Piecake

After several people have bitched about dungeons in GW2, I kinda put it off for later and was really in no rush to do one, but man, Twilight Arbor was a ton of fun

Just did an all GAF run a little while ago and it was pretty smooth sailing. Still challenging that if you screw up you die, but we really didnt have any wipes

Had a close one though, but Mastermind saved us from eternal shame

Now, I do hear that AC just kinda sucks period, but now am itnerested in actually seeing it for myself

Trey

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls just jumped off my shelf, ran up to the computer and rolled there eyes.

Committing to an attack leaves you open - it creates consequences for your actions as well as your opponent - it takes FAR more positioning and skill to pull off a slow-but-powerful attack knowing that a skilled opponent will take advantage of it if you are not careful.

Being committed IS timing and reaction. You time your attacks and react accordingly. Being able to move and dodge whenever you want in the middle of firing up an ability offers no consequence to taking that chance on that ability.

Works in fighters and action games like the DS franchise. Doesn't translate well into MMORPGs, which is why -- if that's what Tera was going for -- it didn't quite work.

Jack_AG

Banned
I much prefer GW2's combat to Tera's combat. I've found there to be a lot of depth to GW2's combat that people overlook at first. I can take on multiple higher level mobs. Those wolves and dogs that keep calling extras in are a great way to practice GW2 combat.
I really need to play another class besides warrior because circle-strafing and not getting hit is quite uneventful. Even on those packs. 4, 5, 6, 7 I don't really care. Get them in a tight group, Fury, Flurry then jump around in circles while they die quickly from bleed stacks. Not that hard - but that could just be the nature of the Warrior - quite a simple class when it comes to offense.

etiolate

Banned

Just to note: There is a consequence for dodging out of a move, for you just spent a dodge. So even if you dodge out of a big move to avoid a foe countering the long wind-up, your foe now has an advantage by knowing you've blown some of your endurance bar.

Ferny

I really need to play another class besides warrior because circle-strafing and not getting hit is quite uneventful. Even on those packs. 4, 5, 6, 7 I don't really care. Get them in a tight group, Fury, Flurry then jump around in circles while they die quickly from bleed stacks. Not that hard - but that could just be the nature of the Warrior - quite a simple class when it comes to offense.

My main is a warrior and I want to know what you're doing that you aren't worried with 7 mobs on you and not getting downed at all. Warriors are pretty great offensively sure, but combat isn't as easy as you make it seem to be.

Violet_0

Banned
Timberline Falls is so beautiful, especially the rapids and the big ship

leveling there currently, it's quickly becoming one of my favorite zones
--

in other news, someone found bikini mail armor for Asura earlier today. Too bad it's heavy armor and my chars are Mesmer and Engineer :p

@Piecake that was the smoothest dungeon run I had so far. AC (story) is way easier than TA, imo

zulfate

oh yeah, haven't played with one before... I assume they kick ass 1v1, but how are their support and AOE capabilities?

I havent played one for long and yes i would say they are better at 1v1 but they do have some aoe skills with the short bow and as support they are ok at it but it can be done. Alot of the skills require you to be up close but can quickly retreat i guess the ranger in a way can do the same but i think ranger has more support skills than a theif. Im sorry i havent played much of both classes but you said who is quicker on there feet and to me it seems like the theif

Spookie

Eurogaf.jpg

So EuroGAF celebrate the creation of the new guild by loosing horribly in PvP. :V

Nothing like being stunlocked because people are terrified of having a 40 minute bleed on them!

Um your 3 let's you evade stuff during the animation.

Can also equip that life steal skill so each hit heals some life.

Also the thief can dodge more than any class with a certain passive trait. He also has a trait that give him more life for every initiative point spent which goes hand in hand with blossom.

Also the thief can dodge more than any class with a certain passive trait. He also has a trait that give him more life for every initiative point spent which goes hand in hand with blossom.
Not to mention that they have weapon skills that dodge, a trait that increases dodge meter regen when using a heal skill, a heal skill that is a dodge, AND utilities that involve a dodge.

As you might expect, thieves are quite dodgy.

Shambles

Looking at the warrior elite skills none of them look very useful. I'm leaning towards the battle standard. There's also the signet but as I'm currently using the passive signet precision buff I won't be further down the road. As far as transforming into a creature that just sounds like it makes all my equipment and other skills pointless. What elites are warriors choosing?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not to mention that they have weapon skills that dodge, a trait that increases dodge meter regen when using a heal skill, a heal skill that is a dodge, AND utilities that involve a dodge.

As you might expect, thieves are quite dodgy.
Also the thief can dodge more than any class with a certain passive trait..
Feline Grace is just ridiculous. Playing with a gamepad got me quite a bit of the way there already, but the higher level I get the more I feel like I'm playing an action game (very similar to how it went with my thieves in Demon's/Dark Souls).
After several people have bitched about dungeons in GW2, I kinda put it off for later and was really in no rush to do one, but man, Twilight Arbor was a ton of fun

Just did an all GAF run a little while ago and it was pretty smooth sailing. Still challenging that if you screw up you die, but we really didnt have any wipes

Had a close one though, but Mastermind saved us from eternal shame

Now, I do hear that AC just kinda sucks period, but now am itnerested in actually seeing it for myself
Piecake, AC is awesome, don't let people discourage you. I'd love to take you for story, but I'm still quite way on explorable mode (though excited to try again).

etiolate

Banned

I haven't tried Warrior, but I've heard it's one of the easier classes to get into from the start. I imagine their AOE burst is much higher than mine as a Mesmer. I have Blurred Frenzy, but outside of that my damage is pretty slow. (Unless I can pull off a full illusion shatter in combination with a Blurred Frenzy.)

KingKong

leveling there currently, it's quickly becoming one of my favorite zones
--

in other news, someone found bikini mail armor for Asura earlier today. Too bad it's heavy armor and my chars are Mesmer and Engineer :p

@Piecake that was the smoothest dungeon run I had so far. AC (story) is way easier than TA, imo

Since youre in there, whats up with that 'help with the excavation' heart? Theres no enemies around and like 3 objects spawn in the world. Am i supposed to go somewhere else. I went into a cave nearby for the skill challenge but there was nothing there for the heart

Violet_0

Banned
Since youre in there, whats up with that 'help with the excavation' heart? Theres no enemies around and like 3 objects spawn in the world. Am i supposed to go somewhere else. I went into a cave nearby for the skill challenge but there was nothing there for the heart

I actually have no idea which heart you are referring to, I discovered less than half the zone so far, sorry =)

ask in the map or guild chat, if everything else fails

Drop it near the shore while still in water, get out and grab it from land. May need to position it a few time until you are standing on ground with your "land skills" active.

ah yes, this should help, thanks

Yep i have that one. Its amazing with traits that give you boons when evading.

I was in an explore mode dungeon with another thief who questioned why I'd ever go melee given thieves die in one shot. It made me want to quit right then, thieves have great survivability if they're not built as glass cannons (which doesn't make any scene in pvp). On top of that they've got enough blinks/escapes that getting out of situations when they get hairy is never too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom