• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Pretty new to MMOs, this is sorta the first one Im committed to playing, newb question, how do guys go about fighting, just click on the enemy or do you use the keyboard number keys, just wondering.

Use a controller. Its awesome

Here is me and my Quaggan buddy

H4mIP.jpg

Piecake

I wish Quaggan was a race

Id pick one just for the personal story. Would be gloriously cute

Where should I be looking to get armor from at level 80? Should I start saving up for Order of Whisper's armor set or looking elsewhere?

Well, pretty sure all exotics have the same stats (not 80 yet), so you gotta decide between what is easier to get and what looks cooler. I really have no idea what is easier - crafting, dungeon gear, whisper, etc.

So yea, Personally, id go with what you think looks the best and shoot for that

darkwing

how is the WvW going? yesterday JQ was catching to us fast for second place, HOD is just on another level, their Crusader guild is just awesome, I must have leveled 50 timed in WvW alone, never seen that many GAF though

Arcteryx

ahh yea finally picked up the cultural armor I had my eye on(partially thanks to CM runs but also the tip from Heavy about spiders :D)

gw0096ai15.jpg

(excuse the shit quality, playing on my laptop atm while on a trip)

Piecake

ahh yea finally picked up the cultural armor I had my eye on(partially thanks to CM runs but also the tip from Heavy about spiders :D)

gw0096ai15.jpg

(excuse the shit quality, playing on my laptop atm while on a trip)

that armor looks sweet. Gives you a very bad ass amazonian vibe

Maybe I should start paying attention to what exactly i need to get those armors. Ive just been leveling and exploring, not much else really

I am not a fan of the Special Needs Fish race

Quaggan hate you

Shambles

Streamer needs an SSD, brutal load times. I even picked up an SSD for the wifes machine so I wouldn't be waiting for her to load forever :p

klez

Something I thought really cool about events just happened to me. I was wondering around a ruin in Harathi Hinterlands, and there's a statue that the game noted "the ground was Knelt by many people". Curious, I /kneel in front of it, and to my surprise, that summons an npc and leads to a boss event! I'm surprised there's such little details in the game and I doubt many people will discover it.

There was this greatsword on the Trading Post today called the Skybringer on sale for less than 5 gold. The stats are shit but skinwise I had never seen the icon or the sword name before. There was only 1 on the Trading Post, the only one in the world it would seem.

A google search of Skybringer brought up absolutely nothing with Guild Wars 2 (It was a staff or something in Guild Wars 1, however).

Since 5g is not-that-much, I gave into my curiosity to buy it and to see what it would look like. Now you, GAF, can know what it looks like if you ever want the Skybringer greatsword skin.

KIYGU.jpg

Jack_AG

Banned
I haven't tried Warrior, but I've heard it's one of the easier classes to get into from the start. I imagine their AOE burst is much higher than mine as a Mesmer. I have Blurred Frenzy, but outside of that my damage is pretty slow. (Unless I can pull off a full illusion shatter in combination with a Blurred Frenzy.)
My only issues with AOE farming are ranged mobs for obvious reasons so I avoid pulling a mix if I can otherwise I just LOS them when possible.

I can't speak for mesmer but Ele is even easier to AOE farm. Same tactic, circle strafing to get a tight group and Staff, Fire, 3, Air, spam 1 since the bolt bounces from target to target. If the situation becomes too hairy when first learning the circle-strafe at range you can always pop 5 - AOE ground targeted stun. Staff is great for soft-control. Some straight damage AOE ground targets can get some AI to move into position where you want for a tighter group.

Ken

There was this greatsword on the Trading Post today called the Skybringer on sale for less than 5 gold. The stats are shit but skinwise I had never seen the icon or the sword name before. There was only 1 on the Trading Post, the only one in the world it would seem.

A google search of Skybringer brought up absolutely nothing with Guild Wars 2 (It was a staff or something in Guild Wars 1, however).

Since 5g is not-that-much, I gave into my curiosity to buy it and to see what it would look like. Now you, GAF, can know what it looks like if you ever want the Skybringer greatsword skin.

Oof, glad I didn't buy it. Kind of a boring design.

Jobacca

Neo Member
Switched over to an Engineer and I'm having a lot more fun. The warrior was just boring me a lot :( I'm already enjoying how many more options I've got at my disposal.

Yay, I love reading this stuff.

I just switched from Engineer to Guardian and am having more fun. I do like my Engineer, but he seems very underpowered right now. Level 8.

etiolate

Banned
Trading Post really needs a preview option.

I've done the Shatterer a few times now, and after a few tries, I've picked up on all the things going on in the encounter. It's not just a straight zerg. There's the cannons for firing on the Shatterer, and there's mobs that attack the cannons and destroy them, so you have the option of defending the cannons. You also have the mortars, which have damaging shells and healing shells. This would mean you could play a support mortar shell bomber, which is pretty cool. You also have the Shatterers attacks and the crystal shards that envelop players caught in them, so you have the need to free others. You also have the random mobs running about in the fight.

My issue with the Shatterer is that none of these things are tuned hard enough yet. It feels like it's very hard to fail this event, so that all the mechanics going on don't matter enough right now. If getting crystalized actually ate away at your health quickly, it would make shattering the stones much more important. If you needed full artillery support to take down the dragon, it would make defending the cannons matter more. Right now, the Shatterer is scaling on the easy end.

I kind of wonder if they should add a way through the pre-events to enable a harder mode version of the Shatterer with increased loot percentages.

KIYGU.jpg

Cool. I wonder what it looks like on real races.

Also, welcome to Orr. You gon' die.

Oh, also Lump, this is Tea Shade Dye on armor. Weird how different it is, isn't it?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
in other news, someone found bikini mail armor for Asura earlier today. Too bad it's heavy armor and my chars are Mesmer and Engineer :p

jcgeKeJcKByP4_e.jpg

Mine, all mine. Now I gotta find something to build around it. Where are the Asuran miniskirts?

Having a great time with this game so far, a few complaints but nothing major. Been playing a warrior, love the weapon switching thing. The WvW is superfun if you have a little group to float around with, striking here and there and staying away from the massive zerg battles.

Finally got some decent looking armor?...I don't know I look like I belong in a He-Man cartoon from the early 90's/80's.

Sxe8O.jpg

Found a badass looking greatsword though.

ITL60.jpg

TDLink

Okay, they need to stop this shit with pushing out updates right in the middle of playing hours.

4 AM EST = middle of playing hours? I also believe it's the morning for EU...really is the best possible time for both regions. Non-peak and when the least amount of people would be playing.

Sethos

Banned
4 AM EST = middle of playing hours? I also believe it's the morning for EU...really is the best possible time for both regions. Non-peak and when the least amount of people would be playing.

Best possible? Are you high. How about nightly updates for each region or weekly maintenance like every other MMO? I'm from Europe and it's getting close to noon.

It fucks up dynamic events for one. I'm on a dynamic event, update in 3 minutes, back in and the event is gone and all progress is out the window.

TDLink

Best possible? Are you high. How about nightly updates for each region or weekly maintenance like every other MMO? I'm from Europe and it's getting close to noon.

It fucks up dynamic events for one. I'm on a dynamic event, update in 3 minutes, back in and the event is gone and all progress is out the window.

I prefer 5 minutes of downtime a day to a specified day each week where it could be down for hours at a time. The time they have chosen for patches definitely is the best possible, yes. It is when most are asleep in NA and before lunch in Europe. It's a lot better than afternoon or evening in either region. And again, it's only 5 minutes. Yeah it screws up events but that is ultimately a small price to pay for consistent updates, especially when this game clearly needs it since it is not yet stable in many regards.

Sethos

Banned
I prefer 5 minutes of downtime a day to a specified day each week where it could be down for hours at a time. The time they have chosen for patches definitely is the best possible, yes. It is when most are asleep in NA and before lunch in Europe. It's a lot better than afternoon or evening in either region. And again, it's only 5 minutes. Yeah it screws up events but that is ultimately a small price to pay for consistent updates, especially when this game clearly needs it since it is not yet stable in many regards.

Guess we have to agree to disagree.

Losing an event is fucking frustrating and is not a small price to pay for a system that's even more rubbish. But hey, it's easy to stay positive when you can wake up and it'll patch instead of having it happen right in the middle of your game, eh.

Dreavus

Class impressions!

Tried Thief for the first time today, and it's pretty fun. Settled on a massive glass cannon build with sword + pistol and shortbow. I started off with daggers (as per the "given" pvp build) but I wasn't feeling it. I can definitely see why people "spam" heartseeker; low cost, hard to miss with, does good damage (kinda). I found pistol whip to be a far better damage dealer though, and using the sword's teleport and immobilize makes it very reliable to hit with. Scorpion wire into pistol whip is also pretty sweet, makes me feel like the first boss in AC explorable, lol.

It was fun running around quickmatch trying to kill people. It's a very different playstyle than my Mesmer; this felt more active and less reactive, which is pretty cool.

I'm finding it hard to keep up with all of the options Thieves have available, though. With no cooldowns it really means you should be choosing the best skill for the best situation. That's something that's going to take some practice. There have also been a bunch of times where I accidentally mash a little bit and do 2 attacks in a row (if those two attacks are blinding shot or something? Congratulations you are out of initiative!). Cool class, and I like all the stealthing too. I'm not using poison very much, so I think I might see if I can spec out of it for something else. Not sure what that would be with my weapon combination, but I'm sure something will work.

Probably going to make a guardian sometime soon. Ultra tanky build is what I have in mind. I always hate fighting them in pvp, as mesmer or thief. Perhaps I can try being on the other side for once and figure out what is going on with them.

TDLink

Guess we have to agree to disagree.

Losing an event is fucking frustrating and is not a small price to pay for a system that's even more rubbish.

No matter when they take the servers down for a patch it would interrupt events for some people. It is just unavoidable. You can't honestly want consecutive hours of maintenance opposed to 5 minutes?

Sethos

Banned
No matter when they take the servers down for a patch it would interrupt events for some people. It is just unavoidable. You can't honestly want consecutive hours of maintenance opposed to 5 minutes?

Wait, so a 5 minute patch means that in weekly maintenance terms that'd be hours? How does that compute. I'd take a weekly maintenance any day of the week, an hour or 30 minutes where they can roll out a larger patch and do whatever work they have to do. At least I can count on that and not having their random ass patches in the middle of my playing time ( Weekends of course ) that makes me lose progress, which is annoying as shit.

or at the very least big fat letters on a MOTD of the day saying: Today we'll be applying a patch, it'll roll out in %t% ( Time ) or whatever. Instead of just, LOG OUT IN 3 MINUTES KNOBHEAD.

Deitus

Jon Peters said:
Crafting
· Players can now do the production portion of crafting without having to pull the resources from their bank. Note: Discovery still requires use of the bank. This is something we would like to change but decided that getting part of the way there was better than making players wait for the entire fix.

Good to know. I wondered why they excluded discovery from being able to craft from the bank, since that is by far more annoying as far as inventory juggling is concerned. It's good that they are aware of it and working on it. And I can't complain that they at least gave us part of the fix now instead of making us wait.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i find it highly stupid that when sending an item to someone u cannot send only 1 if its in a stack it sends the whole lot....

Styles

Good to know. I wondered why they excluded discovery from being able to craft from the bank, since that is by far more annoying as far as inventory juggling is concerned. It's good that they are aware of it and working on it. And I can't complain that they at least gave us part of the fix now instead of making us wait.

Yes! One of my main annoyance is almost rectified.

TDLink

Wait, so a 5 minute patch means that in weekly maintenance terms that'd be hours? How does that compute. I'd take a weekly maintenance any day of the week, an hour or 30 minutes where they can roll out a larger patch and do whatever work they have to do. At least I can count on that and not having their random ass patches in the middle of my playing time ( Weekends of course ) that makes me lose progress, which is annoying as shit.

or at the very least big fat letters on a MOTD of the day saying: Today we'll be applying a patch, it'll roll out in %t% ( Time ) or whatever. Instead of just, LOG OUT IN 3 MINUTES KNOBHEAD.

They do a patch every day roughly around this time, or at least, they have since launch. They also do announce them on their site/forums. I agree they could have better/more in advance updates in-game though for them. I still don't think it's as big of a deal as you are making it out to be though.

Sethos

Banned
They do a patch every day roughly around this time, or at least, they have since launch. They also do announce them on their site/forums. I agree they could have better/more in advance updates in-game though for them. I still don't think it's as big of a deal as you are making it out to be though.

Yeah that's called an opinion. I don't need 'roughly' a time where I just have to sit with my thumbs up the arse waiting for a maybe-patch that may or may not happen making it impossible to do events in that timespan. I lost another event because of it, then it's a big deal for me and it's infuriating. Fine, you don't think so.

But they have tons of outlets to convey this message in MOTDs, through their launcher or a message leading up to the patch rather than just HEY A PATCH. If I need to visit their site and it's not even on the frontpage, the message is poorly conveyed.

SorchaR

I spent about 5 gold yesterday on some gems and got 2 character slots and a bank upgrade slot out of it. I'm still low level (my highest character is 30) so I had to farm some blood and copper ore to do it, but it was well worth the effort.

TDLink

Yeah that's called an opinion. I don't need 'roughly' a time where I just have to sit with my thumbs up the arse waiting for a maybe-patch that may or may not happen making it impossible to do events in that timespan. I lost another event because of it, then it's a big deal for me and it's infuriating. Fine, you don't think so.

But they have tons of outlets to convey this message in MOTDs, through their launcher or a message leading up to the patch rather than just HEY A PATCH. If I need to visit their site and it's not even on the frontpage, the message is poorly conveyed.

There are certain things where if you are doing them and the game gets a new build it will wait for you to finish before relaunching your game. For example, if you're in the middle of a dungeon.

I really don't think events, most of which you don't really follow from the beginning anyways and jump in and out of when you see fit quite have the same "progress". Yes some events chain together and if you have been following them and it crashes later into the chain that really really sucks. I agree. Most events aren't even like that though and coming back even half an hour later you usually find the same chain going on again anyways. It isn't like if you miss an event it is done for the day. They repeat quite frequently. In the higher level zones where chaining actually matters quite a bit everyone runs around in groups looping them anyways too.

So again, I don't see the big deal here. I can understand it being infuriating but it is a lot better than the alternative method of updating (weekly downtime...which would still interrupt events).

Sethos

Banned
There are certain things where if you are doing them and the game gets a new build it will wait for you to finish before relaunching your game. For example, if you're in the middle of a dungeon.

I really don't think events, most of which you don't really follow from the beginning anyways and jump in and out of when you see fit quite have the same "progress". Yes some events chain together and if you have been following them and it crashes later into the chain that really really sucks. I agree. Most events aren't even like that though and coming back even half an hour later you usually find the same chain going on again anyways. It isn't like if you miss an event it is done for the day. They repeat quite frequently. In the higher level zones where chaining actually matters quite a bit everyone runs around in groups looping them anyways too.

So again, I don't see the big deal here. I can understand it being infuriating but it is a lot better than the alternative method of updating (weekly downtime...which would still interrupt events).

You like the system and want to defend it, I hate the system to bits.

Now we're just going in circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom