• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmer_v1

This seems all correct, but I wonder how on earth the economy of Guild Wars 2 should get to a reasonable standard then. Almost every item I checked seems to be sold in the hundreds, if not thousands/ten-thousands, and every new seller tries to match or undermine the current lowest price. With all servers in one auction house, there seems be be way more supply than demand on most items, even the supposedly 'rare' ones, and I don't see a way how the economy could ever recover from this.

Dunno, maybe I'm missing something or overthinking it in general, but when a piece of copper ore is more valuable than a level 55 green, I'm kinda wondering.

You say recover, as if there were ever a different version of the TP that didn't function this way. Maybe this is just how the TP is and will always be. I think I prefer the TP as it is right now. Relatively friendly to the more casual players. You don't have to worry about getting price gouged by a level 80 that has all the time in the world to farm stuff.

The only thing that boggles my mind are the idiots posting prices that, when combined with the listing fee, will net them LESS coin than simply vendoring the item.

Sethos

Banned
The only thing that boggles my mind are the idiots posting prices that, when combined with the listing fee, will net them LESS coin than simply vendoring the item.

I think it's pure laziness and not really looking at the sell prices, like an instant-vendor sort of deal.

Retro

I think someone else mentioned that it might be a lot of people just putting items on the TP quickly to clear bag space while questing.

Yep, I'm constantly seeing people standing in a corner of a tunnel or difficult area with a ton of pigeons flapping away. People are using it as a temporary storage space, sending it to the TP and then removing it later, eating the small fee.

falastini

Been playing an ele (only Lv 22) but I've been wondering if there's any general tips or advice? Also curious on what kind of builds people are going with, I know for sure that I probably want to take some Arcane just for the fact of the faster atunement switching.

I like dagger/dagger or scepter/dagger for leveling. I'll whip out the staff for WvW or larger groups.

Scepter gives you some range, but I find D/D more fun for my play-style. The range is short so you need to stay active since your so squishy, but D/D gives you a lot of mobile spells anyway. I'll usually start the fight in air (since I'm using for movement), then switch to fire. Occasionally I'll swap to earth or water, if the situation calls for it, then back to fire.

I grabbed the free arcane shield @ 25% from the first Arcane tree. It has saved me a few times when I was reckless. The movement speed buff in the first Air tree is nice as well.

Mist form is a good utility spell... three seconds of invulnerability is very nice.

what annoys me is the crazy inflation on crafting mats tho. you can pay 1 silver a pop on 8 tiny claws (8silver) to craft an item worth like... 2 silver total. grr.
I was crafting an entire armor set using a rare insignia bought with karma from the master armorsmith and each piece requires 15 small scales; these were going for 2s each on TP last night. I said fuck it, I'm going to have to grind either way so I farmed Gendarran lake like mad and actually gained a level out of it.

Haha, those pics.

"What are we shooting at?"
"Air."

So good. Any word on the eventual combination of the GAF and GAFO guilds? I know Hawkian was mentioning there would be a concerted move to trim non-active people, and with the establishment of the euro guild I was hoping there would be some slots opening up.

Nothing against GAFO, mind you. 140+ strong and some very helpful folks in there, good conversation, etc. I just wish we could all be under the same umbrella, especially for earning them points.

Maybe you guys can convince the Anet folks inside the main guild to raise the cap. Probably pretty low on their priority list right now, but I want to darken the skies with our GAF arrows.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Did Ascalonian Explorable last night with a couple gaffers. I didn't really find it that hard. Quite a lot of fun, and got a few tokens out of it. Looking forward to doing later dungeons for tokens so I can get my sweet ass armor.

Kyari

Man, I wish this game would shut up and take my money already. Sold out of physical copies everywhere, digital still not available. Sad times.

ShaneB

I'd expect that to be included some time in the future. The reason why linking and preview doesn't work with TP currently is probably because the TP seems to be a bit different from the game and uses something akin to HTML. They also need to fix the UI scaling on TP since it doesn't scale properly when you use the UI size options. The preview window was implemented not too much before launch so maybe there's more work to be done that too.

I hope this gets fixed as well. I've got UI and text set to small on my laptop, and the Trading Post is barely readable.

Jack_AG

Banned
No matter what map your in, the loot drops according to your real level. So level 10 area will drop level 60+- loot etc.
What the fuck. I keep hearing people say this and it NEVER happens for me.

I consistently get zone-appropriate loot. Do I need a special item equipped? A special consumable boon that allows me to do this?

What makes eveyone their level gear in a lower level zone? I have not once had this happen to me.

What am I doing wrong?

I only took this picture because of afro man.

Here's another:

Really old pic but... relevant. lol

k40Qs.jpg

j-wood

Question for other eles out there.

When casting meteor do you need to not move? When I start the cast a bar comes up that fills. If I move the bar disappears but meteors still fall. How is this workingg exactly?

Stuart444

Question for other eles out there.

When casting meteor do you need to not move? When I start the cast a bar comes up that fills. If I move the bar disappears but meteors still fall. How is this workingg exactly?

If you move or switch to another attunement, Meteor shower will keep going. So feel free to switch to another attunement and maybe use static field or healing rain or something or even just dodge :)

Deadly

What the fuck. I keep hearing people say this and it NEVER happens for me.

I consistently get zone-appropriate loot. Do I need a special item equipped? A special consumable boon that allows me to do this?

What makes eveyone their level gear in a lower level zone? I have not once had this happen to me.

What am I doing wrong?
It's about half and half.

Audioboxer

How do I go about getting into the EU GAF guild?

My Charr warrior needs some friends. Name is Sif, or full name Sif Of Artorias. Tag for GW2 is Audioboxer.4719

Quite enjoying the Charr, I usually always play human characters or human-like characters. Out of my comfort zone and it makes it more enjoyable for once. Plus so far the Charr story walks all over the human one (also found out human voice actor is Nathan Drake, cannot stop hearing it, annoying).

Man, I wish this game would shut up and take my money already. Sold out of physical copies everywhere, digital still not available. Sad times.

I feel your pain. I was hoping that patch last night would include server upgrades. Alas it looks like I won't be playing anytime soon.

Piecake

Audίoboxer;41916034 said:
How do I go about getting into the EU GAF guild?

My Charr warrior needs some friends. Name is Sif, or full name Sif Of Artorias. Tag for GW2 is Audioboxer.4719

Quite enjoying the Charr, I usually always play human characters or human-like characters. Out of my comfort zone and it makes it more enjoyable for once. Plus so far the Charr story walks all over the human one (also found out human voice actor is Nathan Drake, cannot stop hearing it, annoying).

http://www.gafguild.com/index.php?forums/eu-gafguild-discussion.10/

Or whisper an EU officer

(im assuming - from NA)

Yea, Charr story is so much better than the human. In fact, i like all the stories better than the human so far.

Sethos

Banned
Made a GW2 Support page account using a LastPass 20 key generated password, posted my support question and now I want to log in again; LastPass didn't prompt to save the account for the page, so I lost the password and apparently there's no recover password for the support page, that just links to actual game password recovery.

Eeep.

How is the EU GAF-guild going? I'm currently playing on Gunnar's Hold and we've met Gandara a few times in WWW, but I have yet to see any GAF-tags. It would be awesome to fight some of you guys :)

Hey, so is it still possible to get in the NA guild? Im on a different server, but it would be nice to chat with some people, and once the server hopping (the temp one) goes live It would be fun to do some PvE stuff with you folk.

Achtius

So I was running in Eternal Battleground trying to tame a wolf. I got it after several tries. After taming it, I was trying to run away from enemy territory (it was at a blue camp). A stupid thief came up to me and attacked me, I didn't want to fight, so I tried to run away. After 5 sec, he slow me several times, I decided to fight back. During the fight, he stealth several time to get away from my melee. But eventually we both downed each other at the same time. But being a ranger, i had the advantage since I got a pet to heal and to attack. With two source of damage, he died while I rallied :p

They have low health but high survivability by other means.

What...

So my other classes were an Engineer, Necromancer, and Warrior. None of them came close to having the same level of health. At least in PVE. Does this change at level 80 somehow?

And basically everyone telling me that it is fine to put points into Vitality was lying?

RaptorGTA

man...game looks really good... but wanna hold off because of Borderlands 2...

may pick it up still....if i can find a physical copy.

Grayman

This seems all correct, but I wonder how on earth the economy of Guild Wars 2 should get to a reasonable standard then. Almost every item I checked seems to be sold in the hundreds, if not thousands/ten-thousands, and every new seller tries to match or undermine the current lowest price. With all servers in one auction house, there seems be be way more supply than demand on most items, even the supposedly 'rare' ones, and I don't see a way how the economy could ever recover from this.

Dunno, maybe I'm missing something or overthinking it in general, but when a piece of copper ore is more valuable than a level 55 green, I'm kinda wondering.

sub 80 gear is upgraded so fast it will always be worthless. I am looking at my yellows and saying i wouldn't pay for this shit. it needed to be stratified by 10 levels to have any lasting presence.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So I was running in Eternal Battleground trying to tame a wolf. I got it after several tries. After taming it, I was trying to run away from enemy territory (it was at a blue camp). A stupid thief came up to me and attacked me, I didn't want to fight, so I tried to run away. After 5 sec, he slow me several times, I decided to fight back. During the fight, he stealth several time to get away from my melee. But eventually we both downed each other at the same time. But being a ranger, i had the advantage since I got a pet to heal and to attack. With two source of damage, he died while I rallied :p

The most intense 2 minutes ever.

What...

So my other classes were an Engineer, Necromancer, and Warrior. None of them came close to having the same level of health. At least in PVE. Does this change at level 80 somehow?

And basically everyone telling me that it is fine to put points into Vitality was lying?

Guardians, Thiefs and Elementalists have the lowest base vitality (without gear) while Warriors and Necros have the highest.

Of course you can put points into vitality if you feel like it, but the class is designed to be able to survive with health regen, not a big health pool.

I woke up this morning to find out that I was kicked out from the guild? Why was I kicked?

Might be a bug. Check by pressing G and see if you still get the roster.

Piecake

Suggestion for a Guild Event

Jumping Puzzle Race!!!

How this would work is that the people who want to participate in the event would pay 5 silver (or something) to the officer coordinating the event. You meet outside the jumping puzzle before the designated time. The time arrives, the guild officer says "Go!" and everyone races to finish the jumping puzzle first

The winner gets the entire pot of money. To confirm the win, the winner needs to wait for the second place person to show up. Ties, you split the pot

Guardians, Thiefs and Elementalists have the lowest base vitality (without gear) while Warriors and Necros have the highest.

Of course you can put points into vitality if you feel like it, but the class is designed to be able to survive with health regen, not a big health pool.

I didn't know that. I assumed they had one of the higher health pools.

In which case, what exactly should I focus on? Toughness? Right now I've mostly been doing +Power, + Vitality, and + Toughness.

Piecake

I didn't know that. I assumed they had one of the higher health pools.

In which case, what exactly should I focus on? Toughness? Right now I've mostly been doing +Power, + Vitality, and + Toughness.

Better have some awesome condition removal if you avoid vitality and go all out on toughness

jersoc

Suggestion for a Guild Event

Jumping Puzzle Race!!!

How this would work is that the people who want to participate in the event would pay 5 silver (or something) to the officer coordinating the event. You meet outside the jumping puzzle before the designated time. The time arrives, the guild officer says "Go!" and everyone races to finish the jumping puzzle first

The winner gets the entire pot of money. To confirm the win, the winner needs to wait for the second place person to show up. Ties, you split the pot

this should be deliciously hilarious to watch as many bodies rush their way and fall to their deaths

Piecake

Is there a link that is newbie friendly and gives info on what each stat does, and general PVP roles?

What qualifies as "awesome condition removal?"

a lot of it. if you stack toughness and avoid vitality youll have very low HP. Toughness doesnt mitigate condition damage. So if you get a bunch of conditions on you with a very low HP pool and no condition removal, you'll die very fast

It sounds like fun, but maybe it would make more sense to just have guild events for everyone helping eachother out and completing puzzles prior to guild race events?

You mean an event where the guild completes it together and then afterwards has a race to see who can complete it the fastest?

I guess that would be more 'fair', but I just think that would take too much time. And I rather like the idea of having an event where guildies are competing against each other, not helping each other out. I think it would be fun

jersoc

Is there a link that is newbie friendly and gives info on what each stat does, and general PVP roles?

What qualifies as "awesome condition removal?"

what are you specing for? What i would spec for mob killing, dungeons and wvw are all different. I can't remember the specific spell name, but I think it's called purging flames or something. It's a meditation I believe. when traited is on a 16s cool down. Plus that's a signet that removes one every 10s or a trait skill that removes upon burning a foe.

I have been messing with guardian builds the last few days, but lack equipment to see if they really shine. that is, i need equipment with the correct stats. My new theory craft is to get a major sigil of earth for 60% bleed on crit and stack precision like a mad man. Burning isn't that great, I think. Even spec'd it lasts way too short.

Vodh

I'm trying to figure out Warrior. The class is super fun when fighting mobs up to my effective level, but drastically falls off compared to, say, engineer when it comes to fighting higher level mobs or event bosses.

On event bosses I'm pretty much forced into using Rifle or Longbow, and I guess it's not that terrible, but not being able to use 10 out of 12 weapons in a certain type of encounter leaves a bad taste in my mouth... And when it comes to significantly higher level mobs (let's say +4/+5 or something) as an Engi I can kite them to hell and back as long as I don't pull adds - as a Warrior, I can't even really engage in melee because they hit too hard, and kiting with Warrior's rifle isn't nearly as good as with Engi's.

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, missing something, or what's the matter? I'm really digging Warrior's playstyle on normal difficulty encounters so if anyone has advice about the harder ones, it'd be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom