• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are you specing for?

I know absolutely zero about PVP. Hence why I asked for a guide. Ideally I would spec for something that would make me as useful as possible.

a lot of it.

I know there is a signet that removes 1 every 10 seconds. Then there is another skill that removes all conditions. One that removes 3 conditions. And one that doesn't remove conditions, but gives you almost every buff to counter them. Is that a lot? Do I only need 1 or 2 of them?

Piecake

I'm trying to figure out Warrior. The class is super fun when fighting mobs up to my effective level, but drastically falls off compared to, say, engineer when it comes to fighting higher level mobs or event bosses.

On event bosses I'm pretty much forced into using Rifle or Longbow, and I guess it's not that terrible, but not being able to use 10 out of 12 weapons in a certain type of encounter leaves a bad taste in my mouth... And when it comes to significantly higher level mobs (let's say +4/+5 or something) as an Engi I can kite them to hell and back as long as I don't pull adds - as a Warrior, I can't even really engage in melee because they hit too hard, and kiting with Warrior's rifle isn't nearly as good as with Engi's.

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, missing something, or what's the matter? I'm really digging Warrior's playstyle on normal difficulty encounters so if anyone has advice about the harder ones, it'd be much appreciated.

Are you skipping out on Toughness and Vitality? those two stats make a HUGE difference. If you go all out on power/crit gear and power/crit traits, you will get crushed in melee. If you want to melee in huge events or a lot of mobs/higher level mobs, you at least have to have a balance

KKRT00

People who made Asura animations need a big rise. They are so godly, probably one of the most detailed animations i've seen in games.

KingKong

woot check out what I got from 100%ing Timberline Falls, finally got both rewards for my profession (sorry for bad image quality, I had to use Steam screenshots since PrintScrn doesnt save the tooltip for some reason)

cRhWm.png
6UExm.png

Major Rune of Divinity is the best rune I've seen so far, looks like it's selling for 18s on the TP.

The worst part is that both of the models are terrible, this Hammer of Blood just looks like a default hammer and the Legs of Divinity are just as crappy. I don't think I'm ever going to get rid of the skirt on my male warrior :/

KKRT00

The worst part is that both of the models are terrible, this Hammer of Blood just looks like a default hammer and the Legs of Divinity are just as crappy. I don't think I'm ever going to get rid of the skirt on my male warrior :/

Use orb of transmutation.

Jobacca

Neo Member
Can you explain condition damage?

Such as if I put a healing turret on the ground and it heals, it does more than normal?

VashTS

You mean an event where the guild completes it together and then afterwards has a race to see who can complete it the fastest?

I guess that would be more 'fair', but I just think that would take too much time. And I rather like the idea of having an event where guildies are competing against each other, not helping each other out. I think it would be fun

I don't necessarily mean right before, but justify at a prior date, otherwise you might be looking at a turnout if people have 0 experience and thus no interest.

Piecake

I don't necessarily mean right before, but just at a prior date, otherwise you might be looking at a ladder turnout if people have 0 experience and thus no interest.

Possibly, but having zero experience would make it more fun!

Plus, you could always do it on your own or look at youtube videos if you 'really' want to win. I really dont think the winning is what will make this fun, what would make this fun is the competition, watching guildies fall to their death, and mocking their dead, bloated corpse.

The winnings and the race is just to create a sense of competition. If a players sole goal is to win to get the pot, then id say they have some odd priorities, especially since the pot probably wont have a whole lot of money in it

Retro

I'm trying to figure out Warrior. The class is super fun when fighting mobs up to my effective level, but drastically falls off compared to, say, engineer when it comes to fighting higher level mobs or event bosses.

On event bosses I'm pretty much forced into using Rifle or Longbow, and I guess it's not that terrible, but not being able to use 10 out of 12 weapons in a certain type of encounter leaves a bad taste in my mouth... And when it comes to significantly higher level mobs (let's say +4/+5 or something) as an Engi I can kite them to hell and back as long as I don't pull adds - as a Warrior, I can't even really engage in melee because they hit too hard, and kiting with Warrior's rifle isn't nearly as good as with Engi's.

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, missing something, or what's the matter? I'm really digging Warrior's playstyle on normal difficulty encounters so if anyone has advice about the harder ones, it'd be much appreciated.

As pie suggested, don't spec for damage at the expense of survivability. I haven't hit 80 yet, but as I've been leveling I've been testing the waters and found that a well-rounded warrior is the best warrior. You have so many weapons at your disposal so you can be fairly versatile through those rather than any specific stat build.

Yes, rifle and longbow are your friends, and I find myself pretty much carrying a Rifle at all times, especially for rifle butt. As for additional kiting, Bolas are amazing and the cooldown is short. If you're still having trouble, there's a trait that gives your cripples a 1 second immobilize, or you can use kick. On stuff that's immune to knockback, you're going to have trouble, but I find I can Savage leap in, throw some bleeds on, hamstring, dodge out and Aimed shot (Cripple) will be back up. Especially if you grab the Major trait that gives you 20% faster rifle cooldowns. All of that bleed damage usually means kiting is fairly short anyways.

Can you explain condition damage?

Such as if I put a healing turret on the ground and it heals, it does more than normal?

No, that would be +Healing. Condition damage is stuff like bleed, burning, poison and confusion. Read more here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition_damage

Retro

Yeah but transmute from what? Im saving a nice firey sword model to transmute but Ive gotten no good legs or hammer models yet :(

Check Karma vendors, a lot of zones usually have a 'set'. Dredgehaunt Cliffs has a nice plate-looking set, not sure about medium or light armor. As for hammers, try the Krytan one, I really like the look of it.

Jack_AG

Banned
man...game looks really good... but wanna hold off because of Borderlands 2...

may pick it up still....if i can find a physical copy.

B2 will be fantastic (i'm hoping) but it also won't have the longevity of GW2. It is really great. There are a few beefs I have with it - it can feel a bit grind-y and repetitive at times - which is to be expected when you unlock all available slots by 30 - so really the next 50 levels is just traits and other skills you more than likely won't be using that much if you've chosen worthwhile ones ahead of time for your playstyle and decide not to change them out.

DEs are fun but can devolve into utter chaos with tons of people - which, for me, lessens the experience due to the skill floor at that point being non-existent.

Dungeons are great, exploration is there if you are into that sort of thing, plenty of achievements to hunt, crafting is pretty par-for-the-course except for discovery (which IMO should be the only way to craft, personal preference), PvP so far for me has been fun. A bit too much Zerg in WvW but if you roll off the beaten path with a small group it gets hella fun sneaking into enemy territory and stealing bases/supplies - so I stay away from all out AOE fest zergs. sPvP seems great except there could be a few balance tweaks(?) - I haven't studied up on proper sPvP builds so I take my own comment with a grain of salt since I need to work on a proper build and actually practice for a while. It seems like it is on the right track for being so early on in its release.

Plenty of fun to be had - but you will have a tough choice with your main character tho - they are all very fun to play - some more straight forward than others (which could be why I feel things get grind-y and repetitive at times) - but if that is the case - you can always play on another toon. I will probably break from my Warrior this week and concentrate on my Ranger. I like both bow styles and they have an excellent array of melee options even though they are (technically) a ranged class.

You will enjoy it. There ARE hiccups this early on since it is an MMO - so it would be understandable if you feel the product is slightly "incomplete" at this time. It's all a matter of personal preference on how you view those hiccups.

6 months from now will paint a much better picture of the game as I feel there is a lot of ironing that needs to be done to a few basic and more complex systems of the game - but it is not in a broken state so I'm OK with that.

I say get it if you can - even if you don't like the release period of new MMOs - you can always come back a few months from now when I'm sure the experience will be far smoother than it is now.

Arken2121

too hard to play, but mesmer is a beast in pvp

Too hard? All you need to do is leave your clones/phantasms alone. They're more useful alive then dead.

In my meditation build, I don't have much of an issue since it's mass condition removal and self heals. =)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Too hard? All you need to do is leave your clones/phantasms alone. They're more useful alive then dead.

In my meditation build, I don't have much of an issue since it's mass condition removal and self heals. =)

Mesmer is easy to pick up and play like all classes, however, has the highest skill cap in the game. I would say that Mesmer is easily THE hardest class to master in the game. Hence making it hard to play yes.

Arken2121

Mesmer is easy to pick up and play like all classes, however, has the highest skill cap in the game. I would say that Mesmer is easily THE hardest class to master in the game. Hence making it hard to play yes.

Elementalists have the highest skill cap by far. Managing 4 elements with effectively, good luck with that.

kayos90

Elementalists have the highest skill cap by far. Managing 4 elements with effectively, good luck with that.

More skills to manage/complexity and skill cap aren't synonymous nor are they inclusive terms. While they do have a relationship of sorts, they aren't the same. Yes, eles have to manage 4 attunements and in that aspect they exceed complication to mesmers, since they don't have to sort through 4 attunements. However, Mesmers have complexity that goes beyond that such as the clones, phantasms, breaks, and the ability to choose weapons that greatly differentiate skills - moreso than other professions.

Nymerio

Man, I didn't like anything but dual daggers on my thief when I started playing, but I decided to give sword/dagger another try and I'm actually really liking it. I think I'll even switch to sword/pistol and change up my traits a bit. There does not seem to be a lot of reasons to rely on stealth when you're not using daggers.
Also, the acrobatics trait line is amazing. The one that restores half the used endurance after dodging and swiftness on dodge are amazing.

I just wish there was another weapon we could use for aoe. I like the short bow but I've been running around with that since about level 5 or so. And every time I switch out the bow for dual pistols there's guaranteed to be a situation where I want the bow to aoe.

kayos90

Man, I didn't like anything but dual daggers on my thief when I started playing, but I decided to give sword/dagger another try and I'm actually really liking it. I think I'll even switch to sword/pistol and change up my traits a bit. There does not seem to be a lot of reasons to rely on stealth when you're not using daggers.
Also, the acrobatics trait line is amazing. The one that restores half the used endurance after dodging and swiftness on dodge are amazing.

I just wish there was another weapon we could use for aoe. I like the short bow but I've been running around with that since about level 5 or so. And every time I switch out the bow for dual pistols there's guaranteed to be a situation where I want the bow to aoe.

Sword pistol is extremely good. Imo, S/P and D/P are the the only primary weapon comp for PvP. Secondary is always going to be a bow I assume.

Arken2121

More skills to manage/complexity and skill cap aren't synonymous nor are they inclusive terms. While they do have a relationship of sorts, they aren't the same. Yes, eles have to manage 4 attunements and in that aspect they exceed complication to mesmers, since they don't have to sort through 4 attunements. However, Mesmers have complexity that goes beyond that such as the clones, phantasms, breaks, and the ability to choose weapons that greatly differentiate skills - moreso than other professions.

But that's with every profession when you choose specific skills(class skills) to counter a heal, interrupt a skill and whatnot. The only difference is is that the Mesmer has more of it and is able to produce likes that not only benefit from great damage, but if you're not skilled/lucky enough to find the right one, you're screwed. The complexity of Mesmers is nothing short of what everyone else does, interrupt and capitalize. Except, once again, Mesmers can do it with ease through confusion.

Edit: and to trick your foes into believing they're attacking the real one is rather simple, don't dodge. Since clones/phantasms don't use this skill, it's even easier to fool the average player.

kayos90

How the hell do you beat Thieves 1v1. Is there a counter to stealth?

Blind them. They can't do anything with blind during stealth pretty much. Or create a AoE zone around you.

But that's with every profession when you choose specific skills(class skills) to counter a heal, interrupt a skill and whatnot. The only difference is is that the Mesmer has more of it and is able to produce likes that not only benefit from great damage, but if you're not skilled/lucky enough to find the right one, you're screwed. The complexity of Mesmers is nothing short of what everyone else does, interrupt and capitalize. Except, once again, Mesmers can do it with ease through confusion.

Edit: and to trick your foes into believing they're attacking the real one is rather simple, don't dodge. Since clones/phantasms don't use this skill, it's even easier to fool the average player.

A mesmer's skill cap and a person's ability to fight against a mesmer are two very independent notions. What another person does to respond to your mesmer play is independent of the actual skill required to play the class. You're shifting the argument into something else.

People really need to learn how to sell stuff on TP, I got an entire level 80 rare set of armor for less than 1.5gold lol, it should cost more than that man, and already got 75silver back from Events.....

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
People really need to learn how to sell stuff on TP, I got an entire level 80 rare set of armor for less than 1.5gold lol, it should cost more than that man, and already got 75silver back from Events.....

More people should learn to barter.

Arken2121

Blind them. They can't do anything with blind during stealth pretty much. Or create a AoE zone around you.

A mesmer's skill cap and a person's ability to fight against a mesmer are two very independent notions. What another person does to respond to your mesmer play is independent of the actual skill required to play the class. You're shifting the argument into something else.

I'd like to know exactly how the skill cap of a Mesmer is so high then. If anything, other classes without clones/phantasms require a higher skill to play in my opinion.

kayos90

I'd like to know exactly how the skill cap of a Mesmer is so high then. If anything, other classes without clones/phantasms require a higher skill to play in my opinion.

I already gave you a simplified list/reasons as to why Mesmers have the highest skill cap in the game above.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
The developers think the Elementalist and the Necromancer are harder to play than the Mesmer. I don't know about the Necromancer, but I completely agree with the Elementalist.

Mesmer is hard to get into, but then becomes formulaic at some things. It does have an abstract anti-play style, and it does require high skill to pull it off, but let's not understimate the Elementalist. Their complexity does not comes solely from having more skills to memorize. Elementalists are more squishy than Mesmers, and grealy rely on timing their skills to survive, or even to do anything, probably as much as the masters of rupting and shattering. Elementalists' attunement dancing is also not free of recharge, unlike Engineers' kits, and adapting to a specific situation comes at the cost of sacrificing key skills, so it's quite comparable to shattering, again. Not only that, but the high skill pool means that they must use twice the number of skills to achieve the same thing as other professions, and when those skills are cross-elemental, that comes at great costs. You simply can't burst and defend yourself at the same time, like you simply could with shattering + Blurred Frenzy. But it does not ends here. The high skill pool also means higher recharges and higher casting times than normal, and in the end, the margin for error with an Elementalist is almost non-existant, and most of their bursts are easy to avoid in place of all this. They are completely crazy to play with, unless you're going with Staff and spamming fields during a zerg while at a safe distance. The high skill pool only makes the whole thing harder to master, but is far from being the only reason for why they are so hard to play effectively.

kayos90

My argument does not say that Elementalists aren't hard to play nor is it saying that eles lack a high skill cap. I consider Eles to be one of the hardest classes to master. My point is that mesmers are higher, in case you're getting confused.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
My argument does not say that Elementalists aren't hard to play nor is it saying that eles lack a high skill cap. I consider Eles to be one of the hardest classes to master. My point is that mesmers are higher, in case you're getting confused.
To be honest, I find Mesmers easier to play nonetheless. :x But I haven't played with them much, so I'm probably missing high-end, advanced tricks.

WvW is fun but pretty messy. Also seemingly useless unless you're level 80. I'm 35 and managed to only get 2 tokens after like 4 hours. I must have spent well over 10 s on repairing my equipment from dying so much.

kayos90

To be honest, I find Mesmers easier to play nonetheless. :x But I haven't played with them much, so I'm probably missing high-end, advanced tricks.

All classes are pretty easy to play and generally utilize. Mesmers and Elementalists are no different. My argument lies in skills caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom