• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reikon

WvW is fun but pretty messy. Also seemingly useless unless you're level 80. I'm 35 and managed to only get 2 tokens after like 4 hours. I must have spent well over 10 s on repairing my equipment from dying so much.

I did WvW when I was 35ish and got 10 tokens and 50 kill credits in less than an hour.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
WvW is fun but pretty messy. Also seemingly useless unless you're level 80. I'm 35 and managed to only get 2 tokens after like 4 hours. I must have spent well over 10 s on repairing my equipment from dying so much.

WvW is great when we're winning. I got 75+ kills and only 2 deaths on good server rotations in ~1hr 20min. I try to avoid playing against servers that we lose against.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'd like to know exactly how the skill cap of a Mesmer is so high then. If anything, other classes without clones/phantasms require a higher skill to play in my opinion.

Play one then? The illusions are moreso queued up bombs than an actuall illusion to trick people with. Once you learn what to spot it's really easy to tell which are real and which are fakes, would you feel better if the illusions were little orbs?

Won

Zerg on one side, another zerg on the other side. Damn that WvW! Not touching it till level 80 if I ever get there.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
But you didn't give me examples of said skill cap. Tell me how they're so difficult to play.

Elementalists are semi-situational based due to different elemental attunements allowing for various conditions and utility. Mesmer takes this idea and implements it in a different way that allows for more complicated play. However this complication in combination with conditional play, situational play, manipulation of player movement is essential for Mesmers, especially in PvP.

By utilizing clones and phantasms, the players are able to craft their own battlefield and instantly turn it into their advantages. They allow the player to create psychological chaos by creating a forest of illusions in which you're a tree to hide in. This psychological aspect of interpreting, analayzing, processing, and following through with is one reason in which mesmers have a high skill cap. This can be categorized into player movement in ways because how you respond when putting up phantasms matter. Are you going to stand still? Are you going to follow your dolls? Are you going to make them do certain things while act like something else? All of this matters.

Additionally, you can create environmental effects that aren't limited to just elemental conditions. Chaos is extremely pivotal when controlling Mesmers because they have the ability to absolutely obliterate someone using conditions. They're one of the two classes that can generate Chaos of their own skill pool alone, meaning all conditions are pretty much fair game on the opponent. A lot of Chaos skills can be target based but some are areas so they create the idea of displacement. While most people don't want to run into a firestorm, it's much more disadvantageous for a person to walk through an area that will deal conditions. It's just that much more scary. Manipulating such a vital resource and asset is pivotal when trying to play Mesmer. how you go about about dictating said skills will differentiate the best and average mesmers.

I can go on but I really don't want to reiterate why Mesmer's have the highest skill cap. Simply put, Elementalists only have skills to worry about and don't really add in anything beyond the mechanics of the game. Mesmers require creativity and genuine inspirational battle tactics to win.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Aw shit, so there are large portions of the map that we can't explore? I feared this was the case, but didn't know for sure until now. Not that what we got isn't enough, but it's kind of a bummer that I can't revisit the ring of fire islands or the crystal desert again. I'm guessing they're saving them for expansions.

I doubt it. They'll most likely be content patches to keep us busy until the expansions.

Arcteryx

Zerg on one side, another zerg on the other side. Damn that WvW! Not touching it till level 80 if I ever get there.

Right now it's not all that bad zerg wise. We are dominating, but playing in smaller groups and holding stuff. Just logged off for a bit, but fought a few epic battles holding supply sites.

I agree though that when you just have two zergs going at it..the fun just isn't really there.

Anyone know if you can pickup armor from other Orders, or are you stuck with whatever Order you choose? Kinda kicking myself for not choosing Whispers..the heavy boots look BAD ASS!!!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Aw shit, so there are large portions of the map that we can't explore? I feared this was the case, but didn't know for sure until now. Not that what we got isn't enough, but it's kind of a bummer that I can't revisit the ring of fire islands or the crystal desert again. I'm guessing they're saving them for expansions.

Enough unused land there for 2 exansions maybe 3.

I hope it's content patches though

Bentendo

Yeah that's mildly disappointing.

Cronnie

So I downloaded and set up Mumble earlier while joining some [GAF] members for some WvW, I got some message about having the "incorrect password for unregistered accounts" or something along those lines.

I asked on Guild chat too at the time and no-one had any idea, doesn't mention anything like this in the post on the first page? :S

Ferny

So I downloaded and set up Mumble earlier while joining some [GAF] members for some WvW, I got some message about having the "incorrect password for unregistered accounts" or something along those lines.

I asked on Guild chat too at the time and didn't get a response, doesn't mention anything like this in the post on the first page? :S

There is no password, try a different user name.

j-wood

I know I asked this earlier, but it appears that it's not beneficial to move or cast another spell while caster meteor shower as an elementalist.

According to the GW2 Wiki, "moving while casting this spell will prevent full activation"

Now i'm curious, what exactly is full activation? Does it last longer? Do more damage?

So I'm not sure what traits to put on my Guardian.

I am going 30 Zeal/30 Honor/10 Virtues.

I want the Greatword abilities from Zeal. Honors gives me some nice vitality and lowers shout cooldowns.

Thoughts?

Stuart444

I know I asked this earlier, but it appears that it's not beneficial to move or cast another spell while caster meteor shower as an elementalist.

According to the GW2 Wiki, "moving while casting this spell will prevent full activation"

Now i'm curious, what exactly is full activation? Does it last longer? Do more damage?

No idea but it casts plenty of Meteors anyway so I guess it depends on the situation?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

I've heard that the Crystal Desert (and one other area) will be given to us in a content update for free - apart from any expansion.

It's better that ANet put in a lot of land that we can't access yet so it makes it faster for them to eventually give it to us when it's ready.

Moobabe

Ok so... AC Explorer. I've completed one chain 2/4 in total but I'm struggling on the asuran path:

I know ANet talked a lot about all classes being able to do everything - but I refuse to believe it on this occasion. Is there a desired set up for this? I think it's mass AOE that's required or I'm missing something a little too obvious when all the graveling shitters start to spawn.

Also; have people set on "best" classes yet? I saw you guys discussing the skill cap of the classes; does that apply to PvE as well?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I find it very easy to ignore the Main Chat though. As long as I'm doing something, while it's on.:p

Yeah, I almost never read it... But this time I happened to do it, and all the lines were like "X dies" or "Y kills Z" and "A is alive".

It must feel nice for them, being complete assholes behind a monitor.

gw001.jpg

is seeing folks botting at event locales common?

Retro

it's kind of a bummer that I can't revisit the ring of fire islands or the crystal desert again. I'm guessing they're saving them for expansions.

... or content pushes. Remember, ArenaNet has said that their content development team divided in two; one is live content support, the other is expansion development. There's half of the people working on the next retail boxed expansion and half working on just regular content pushes. Their goal is to be the best-supported MMO on the market, and I have a suspicion that once the initial insanity of launch dies down, we'll start seeing some new content before the end of the year, if not sooner. They can add new DEs any time they want without taking the game offline.

Some fuckers spoiling ASoIaF in the Heart of the Mists chat.

Gotta love MMO players.

Steps to preserve sanity in MMOs:
#1. Turn off general chat.
#2. Read number one.

Vodh

is seeing folks botting at event locales common?

Ah, so THAT'S why there's such a fucking crowd there every time even tho the event itself is one of the few massive borefests in a sea of awesome events... Never really been there apart from the event and pretty much always leave after I ensure my silver - and doing it makes me look like a bot too - so I didn't really notice. The world makes sense to me now.

Vodh

So what's everyones general feeling on the game a couple of weeks in?

Pretty damn awesome, but I'm forever stuck between professions... Engi/Necro/Mesmer/Warrior/Thief. I guess not liking Ele, Ranger and Guardian is a start...

njean777

So what is the first instance called? and where is it? I just hit 31 and I want to see about running it...

I am in Shiver Peak mountains. IS there an easy way to get there or do I have to walk all the way there.

Ken

So what is the first instance called? and where is it? I just hit 31 and I want to see about running it...

I am in Shiver Peak mountains. IS there an easy way to get there or do I have to walk all the way there.

It's called Ascalonian Catacombs. Go to Asura Gate to Black Citadel and walk East.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So what's everyones general feeling on the game a couple of weeks in?

It's an enjoyable MMO. I'm not compelled to rush through shit, I can take my time doing whatever the heck I want. The classes are fun and I enjoy the aesthetics of the world. Also there's something placidly nice about wandering around a game and finding an NPC to talk to. I've yet to see anything beyond level 20 but I think WvW will be the biggest timesink for me within a few months/years.

It's probably the most stress-free MMO I've ever touched.

The biggest problem i have atm is I quite often seem to be in the situation where I open up my map and realize I only have hearts that are like 4+ levels higher than me left and feel... directionless.

I usually just wonder a bit until i find an event... but something feels... inelegant about this :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The biggest problem i have atm is I quite often seem to be in the situation where I open up my map and realize I only have hearts that are like 4+ levels higher than me left and feel... directionless.

I usually just wonder a bit until i find an event... but something feels... inelegant about this :/
What level are you?

It wasn't viable until 30+, but playing the game in locales as high above my actual level as possible has become my favorite way to play the game. Forces you to get good, fast :D

Hoo-doo

Banned
Goddamn, Mesmers are assholes in 8v8 PVP.

Joking of course, but man they are pimpslapping me across the map every time with all of their illusions running wild. I just keep hitting the wrong ones! :)

On the other hand, finally killing one feels extra good.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

Go do another zone you haven't seen yet. Go harvesting. Go crafting. Do WvW. Heck, just go explore. I don't understand comments like this because you can get experience everywhere doing anything beyond taking a shit. Don't let a small artificial wall stop you from staying in that area.

Dreavus

Elementalists are semi-situational based due to different elemental attunements allowing for various conditions and utility. Mesmer takes this idea and implements it in a different way that allows for more complicated play. However this complication in combination with conditional play, situational play, manipulation of player movement is essential for Mesmers, especially in PvP.

By utilizing clones and phantasms, the players are able to craft their own battlefield and instantly turn it into their advantages. They allow the player to create psychological chaos by creating a forest of illusions in which you're a tree to hide in. This psychological aspect of interpreting, analayzing, processing, and following through with is one reason in which mesmers have a high skill cap. This can be categorized into player movement in ways because how you respond when putting up phantasms matter. Are you going to stand still? Are you going to follow your dolls? Are you going to make them do certain things while act like something else? All of this matters.

Additionally, you can create environmental effects that aren't limited to just elemental conditions. Chaos is extremely pivotal when controlling Mesmers because they have the ability to absolutely obliterate someone using conditions. They're one of the two classes that can generate Chaos of their own skill pool alone, meaning all conditions are pretty much fair game on the opponent. A lot of Chaos skills can be target based but some are areas so they create the idea of displacement. While most people don't want to run into a firestorm, it's much more disadvantageous for a person to walk through an area that will deal conditions. It's just that much more scary. Manipulating such a vital resource and asset is pivotal when trying to play Mesmer. how you go about about dictating said skills will differentiate the best and average mesmers.

I can go on but I really don't want to reiterate why Mesmer's have the highest skill cap. Simply put, Elementalists only have skills to worry about and don't really add in anything beyond the mechanics of the game. Mesmers require creativity and genuine inspirational battle tactics to win.

Not closely related to the discussion, but I'm curious about the clones thing. People seem to be able to track me pretty easily, even if I try to stand still or whatever. Do any of the clone skills actually break targeting aside from decoy? When I fight a mesmer, I just call him as a target, and it seems to me there's the giant red cross hairs above his head the whole fight, unless he goes invisible. Does the scepter block / sword off-hand block / staff teleport break this targeting at all? I admit they can be pretty confusing if you arrive at an engagement with a mesmer already fighting somebody, but if it's a fresh engagement I feel like the clones don't really fool anybody, and I have a hunch it's because they just have you targeted. This probably warrants some testing!

desverger

How can you be in this situation? Check the map, there are always multiple zones to go to, regardless of your level. Even doing the starter zones at almost any level gives you some exp, if you don't know where to go. Pick a zone that's 5-10 levels below you and go explore there, you can do any heart you want and get to explore freely.

I'm always downleveled because I hop between zones. Sometimes I'm actually surprised when I run into a heart that's my own level, and I like the experience. But honestly, I'm really just overwhelmed by the amount of content available.

Not closely related to the discussion, but I'm curious about the clones thing. People seem to be able to track me pretty easily, even if I try to stand still or whatever. Do any of the clone skills actually break targeting aside from decoy? When I fight a mesmer, I just call him as a target, and it seems to me there's the giant red cross hairs above his head the whole fight, unless he goes invisible. Does the scepter block / sword off-hand block / staff teleport break this targeting at all? I admit they can be pretty confusing if you arrive at an engagement with a mesmer already fighting somebody, but if it's a fresh engagement I feel like the clones don't really fool anybody, and I have a hunch it's because they just have you targeted. This probably warrants some testing!

Aside from calling a target, clones are easy to spot since they don't strafe or roll, and pretty much just run straight at you or stay at range depending on their weapon.

If you read this: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Clone - it says that any skill that creates a clone breaks targeting on the caster, which is often more useful than the clone itself. I don't think the trait that creates clones from dodging does this, but otherwise, all the others should break target.

njean777

Ok I may be dumb here, but is there no way to get to Black Citadel from Rata Sum? I thought that is where I would go to get there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ok I may be dumb here, but is there no way to get to Black Citadel from Rata Sum? I thought that is where I would go to get there.
You can get everywhere from everywhere, but they're nowhere near each other.

Take the Asura Gate in Rata Sum to Lion's Arch instead. There are gates there to all the major cities.

Hoo-doo

Banned
How can you be in this situation? Check the map, there are always multiple zones to go to, regardless of your level. Even doing the starter zones at almost any level gives you some exp, if you don't know where to go. Pick a zone that's 5-10 levels below you and go explore there, you can do any heart you want and get to explore freely.

I'm always downleveled because I hop between zones. Sometimes I'm actually surprised when I run into a heart that's my own level, and I like the experience. But honestly, I'm really just overwhelmed by the amount of content available.

It's very easy to be in that situation.

If you enter a level 30-40 zone at level 30 and 100% the zone, you still won't be anywhere near 40, there's just not enough content per zone to facilitate leveling like that.

Of course this can be treated by hopping over to the other zones, doing WvW or crafting, but it kind of kills the replay value.
I usually intend to hit the other zones with other characters, like I did in World of Warcraft, which has plenty of zones in each level range and all of them stuffed with so much content that it could easily have you out-leveling the zone without even doing half the content.

Ken

So at level 80 what should I be doing, PvE-wise (since I dislike PvP).

I'm almost at full exotics so I don't want grind karma for the karma gear.

Seems like the only point of explorable mode dungeons is to get tokens for expensive cosmetic gear. I like cosmetics and looking cool but it seems way too big a time investment. However, if running EM Dungeons was a good source of money too, I would do it; right now I'm just leaving my geared up 80 while I go level alts because I'm not sure what's worth doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom