• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest problem i have atm is I quite often seem to be in the situation where I open up my map and realize I only have hearts that are like 4+ levels higher than me left and feel... directionless.

I usually just wonder a bit until i find an event... but something feels... inelegant about this :/

i noticed i had this problem too until i started doing story quests and crafting. now that i'm trying to craft items that are the same lv as my character I have been falling behind with the heart quests.

desverger

It's very easy to be in that situation.

If you enter a level 30-40 zone at level 30 and 100% the zone, you still won't be anywhere near 40, there's just not enough content per zone to facilitate leveling like that.

Of course this can be treated by hopping over to the other zones, doing WvW or crafting, but it kind of kills the replay value.
I usually intend to hit the other zones with other characters, like I did in World of Warcraft, which has plenty of zones in each level range and all of them stuffed with so much content that it could easily have you out-leveling the zone without even doing half the content.

Well, nobody says you have to 100% a zone if you step your foot into it :p

Just spend some time in an another zone till your level matches or exceeds the one you want to be in. There's always time to 100% them later.

From what I've looked the map and from my personal experience, I figure it's easy enough to level three alts without spending too much time in the same zones.

So if I'm like lvl 20, and go off and do shit at a starter zone area for another race, would I get decent exp?

Yep. Well not the same exp you would get at doing content for your exact level, but it's still worthwhile.

Achtius

So at level 80 what should I be doing, PvE-wise (since I dislike PvP).

I'm almost at full exotics so I don't want grind karma for the karma gear.

Seems like the only point of explorable mode dungeons is to get tokens for expensive cosmetic gear. I like cosmetics and looking cool but it seems way too big a time investment. However, if running EM Dungeons was a good source of money too, I would do it; right now I'm just leaving my geared up 80 while I go level alts because I'm not sure what's worth doing.

legendary weapons ;P

Arcteryx

Ok so... AC Explorer. I've completed one chain 2/4 in total but I'm struggling on the asuran path:

I know ANet talked a lot about all classes being able to do everything - but I refuse to believe it on this occasion. Is there a desired set up for this? I think it's mass AOE that's required or I'm missing something a little too obvious when all the graveling shitters start to spawn.

Also; have people set on "best" classes yet? I saw you guys discussing the skill cap of the classes; does that apply to PvE as well?

Are you talking about the graveling one? Yea an AOE'er is needed from the times I've done it; you just need to focus on the entrances and burn them down fast, kite them back to an entrance hole if they start attacking the machinery. I've tried it without an AOE once and we only got to ~75% before we got overwhelmed.

Ken

Isn't PvE a huge grind?

Depends. 1-80 was tolerable. Getting a full set of dungeon/karma gear seems like a huge grind. Getting 200 skill points also seems like a huge grind.

I don't mind grinding, but if it's just for bad armor meant to be transmuted then that's not worth it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
AC Explorable does in fact get you lots of cash. Story too honestly, considering how efficiently it can be done with a good team.

Dreavus

Aside from calling a target, clones are easy to spot since they don't strafe or roll, and pretty much just run straight at you or stay at range depending on their weapon.

If you read this: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Clone - it says that any skill that creates a clone breaks targeting on the caster, which is often more useful than the clone itself. I don't think the trait that creates clones from dodging does this, but otherwise, all the others should break target.

Hmm, I am a bit skeptical of this tbh. I seem to recall having my called target follow a mesmer after he used phase retreat on staff specifically (not 100% sure, but still), and stuff like the greatsword mirror blade [2] or scepter ether clone [1] definitely don't break targeting.

Perhaps I need to try being more subtle. I'm usually too busy strafing and trying not to get killed by AoEs or melee swing arcs to be particularly tricky. Maybe I'll see if I can test some of this with a buddy later today.

Arcteryx

AC Explorable does in fact get you lots of cash. Story too honestly, considering how efficiently it can be done with a good team.

I made BANK doing CM story runs from 40-50. Had a great group that was clearing it in roughly 10 minutes flat, factor in a couple minutes for reset/selling junk and you can level up REALLY fast(20k per run).

Moobabe

Depends. 1-80 was tolerable. Getting a full set of dungeon/karma gear seems like a huge grind. Getting 2000 skill points also seems like a huge grind.

I don't mind grinding, but if it's just for bad armor meant to be transmuted then that's not worth it.

2000 skill points? And I here I thought title grinding in GW1 was bad.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well, nobody says you have to 100% a zone if you step your foot into it :p

Just spend some time in an another zone till your level matches or exceeds the one you want to be in. There's always time to 100% them later.

You are not getting what I'm saying.
Of course I don't want to instantly 100% every zone, it has just become somewhat of a necessity.
I just want to enter one area, level up and do events/hearts/whatever until I can naturally progress to the next zone (this meaning a higher level zone, as in going from 30-40 to 40-50). There's just not enough content in a single zone for that.

It would be nice if I didn't have to hop over to the other similarly-leveled zones so I can explore those from scratch with my other characters later, but as it is now that's not possible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I made BANK doing CM story runs from 40-50. Had a great group that was clearing it in roughly 10 minutes flat, factor in a couple minutes for reset/selling junk and you can level up REALLY fast(20k per run).
Still haven't done CM story. Today.

Jack_AG

Banned
So what's everyones general feeling on the game a couple of weeks in?
My general feeling is good with a few complaints that can only get ironed out over time with community feedback and the usual "shit be broke" issues MMOs have at launch.

Dreavus

Depends. 1-80 was tolerable. Getting a full set of dungeon/karma gear seems like a huge grind. Getting 2000 skill points also seems like a huge grind.

I thought it was only 200 for the bloodstone ingredient or whatever it was called. Don't get me wrong, it's still a ton, but magnitudes less than 2000 lol.

Arcteryx

Of course I don't want to instantly 100% every zone, it has just become somewhat of a necessity.
I just want to enter one area, level up and do events/hearts/whatever until I can naturally progress to the next zone (this meaning a higher level zone, as in going from 30-40 to 40-50). There's just not enough content in a single zone for that.

It would be nice if I didn't have to hop over to the other similarly-leveled zones so I can explore those from scratch with my other characters later, but as it is now that's not possible.

If you throw in some WvWvW/story mode/dungeons then it shouldn't really require much zone hopping. The only time I've had a shortage was around 30-40 range, where I had to hop zones for a bit to get the last few levels.

I agree that for replay value it's always nice to be able to have an entirely different zone to use for leveling.

I don't know if that's actually the number. I just woke up lol.
I think it's more around 100-200ish(which is still a lot); should be easier than farming karma though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If you throw in some WvWvW/story mode/dungeons then it shouldn't really require much zone hopping. The only time I've had a shortage was around 30-40 range, where I had to hop zones for a bit to get the last few levels.

I agree that for replay value it's always nice to be able to have an entirely different zone to use for leveling.

I think it's more around 100-200ish(which is still a lot); should be easier than farming karma though.

Oh I agree, it is manageable. But coming from World of Warcraft, being "all out of shit to do" in an area that you haven't even out-leveled yet is pretty damn jarring.

XeroSauce

I don't know about you but I jumped into Lornar's Pass at 22 and made it to 41 with crafting, exploring, and doing other stuff in general.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally some time to play....

I'm really impressed with the visuals so far.
iC8I1ddgRFuAm.jpg
can be breathtaking at times.

I dunno how people are underleveled in this game more than occasionally. After leaving my starter zone, I've been near-constantly overleveled for any new areas I go into, despite neglecting my story quests several times. I finally got around to getting them up to my level. (just finished the level 50 quest
where you fight off the undead invasion in LA
)
Now I'm overleveled for Blazeridge Steppes, though, having never set foot there since the 2010 PAX demo.

Dresden

Being pretty unhappy with the game, I took a shot and asked arena.net for a refund, which... they did. Props to that wonderful company; I might come back for an expansion later, if the stuff I was unhappy about gets resolved.

Lyonaz

Played some Eternal Battlegrounds.

jGyc2miJfgITk.jpg

jbtA6Ra2GCwmF6.jpg

It was a trap!
jbxi94YfCaMj9f.jpg

That Stonemist Castle assault was just crazy, we breached the gates into an empty throne room and after taking care off some arrow carts I was greeted with dead teammates and a shitload of enemies.

KingKong

Really, my experience has been that you need at least 2 zones for 10 levels. I've had a cushion of about 5 levels from cooking and with doing my personal quest and no WvW, I've been going through three zones every 10 levels, usually 100%ing one

Dreavus

Random thought I had yesterday; do the skins from those three "initial" masks/helmets you choose ever show up again later in the game? I kept my Mesmer's phantasm of sorrow mask in the bank for transmutation purposes, and haven't seen another one since then. I guess they're just to differentiate yourself at the start of the game?

Trey

Being pretty unhappy with the game, I took a shot and asked arena.net for a refund, which... they did. Props to that wonderful company; I might come back for an expansion later, if the stuff I was unhappy about gets resolved.

What issue did you have?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Random thought I had yesterday; do the skins from those three "initial" masks/helmets you choose ever show up again later in the game? I kept my Mesmer's phantasm of sorrow mask in the bank for transmutation purposes, and haven't seen another one since then. I guess they're just to differentiate yourself at the start of the game?

no, they never ever ever show up again and they're soulbound and I overwrote mine with the heritage skin and yes I'm salty

edit: I totally need to do CM story.

Puckmarin

Banned
OK, I'm level 12ish on my Guardian. How should I be earning most of my XP?

Events?
Helping people (hearts)?
PvP?

If PvP should I be doing WvW or sPvP?

Artanisix

Wtf, is there no armor affix that gives healing power/toughness/condition damage in non-spvp settings? Can't find any on the TP... Really disappointing if true... Closest I can find is ones with Dolyak.

Stuart444

Finished Twilight Arbor (Story mode) with a very good group, 4 guildies and a friend of the guildies.

1 Ranger, 2 Guardians, 2 Elementilists. Only 2 wipes, once by accident at the bridge (after the first champion) and one at the last boss. The last boss was easy the second time after the wipe.

Total time was around 1 hour, 10 minutes (or 15 minutes). Very pleased with ourselves :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom