• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised name changes for gems aren't in the game yet.

Oh I'm sure they're coming - one reason the exchange rate for gems/gold is so low is that there's not really much reason to trade for gems at the moment, at least not nearly in the same volume as trading gems to gold. Sure, it helps to open up another bank slot or perhaps 2, but bag space beyond that is barely an issue at all with the game's convenient depositing features.

Once Anet adds some real gotta-have-it stuff on the gem store, like name change tokens and new dance moves, then that exchange rate will level out a bit. Another key to making things on the gem store turn into must-buys? Make limited sets of things - for example, what if the minis currently available were only on sale for a limited time, and then taken off the gem store forever (meaning the only ones left would be the ones remaining in circulation around the trading post)? The demand to buy them would shoot through the roof because suddenly they are in limited quantities.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I wish I didn't consider map completion to be mind numbing torture. Easily one of the most unfun tasks in the game.

V_Arnold

I wish I didn't consider map completion to be mind numbing torture. Easily one of the most unfun tasks in the game.

It is not a task, it is a reward. I enjoy completing zones to 100% if they level match mine - the rewards are great. I would not look forward to going back to old zones or discover capital cities though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It is not a task, it is a reward. I enjoy completing zones to 100% if they level match mine - the rewards are great. I would not look forward to going back to old zones or discover capital cities though.

It really is a task. There's nothing rewarding about completing the map, other than the ACTUAL rewards.

thetrin

What? 100%ing the map has been the best part of PvE. I love exploring every edge of GW2's world.

Exploring =/= obsessively doing everything. I love exploring, but I rarely complete a map. I go in a direction, find cool stuff to do, and then go in another direction. Completing the map is just utter torture for me. It's systematic, mechanical completion; the very definition of what I hate in video games.

For me, the best part of PvE is running dungeons and fighting in events.

Zeliard

At least in this game you receive some sort of tangible in-game rewards for it that you use for gameplay purposes. That differentiates it from most of the purposeless collectathon drivel out there.

Dreavus

Orrian Heavy, Nightmare Court Heavy, and Flame Legion are all right up there. There's no question that the Norn Cultural is really awesome, but the dungeon sets are really good, and the stats are far better.

Damn. This is why I wish there were THREE heavy armor classes. I want a human, norn, and charr all with heavy armor. :(

Was thinking about Human Guardian and Charr Warrior, but I don't think I can pass up Norn options here. Perhaps it will be a Norn Guardian instead...

thetrin

I for one hate exploring.

I love exploring, but if I went out and decided to explore a new city, I wouldn't walk into every building and walk down every street. I would go in the direction of what catches my fancy. In any place you go, some things are going to suck, and some things are going to be boring.

Generally speaking, getting 100% in something in a video game is pretty much torture. I've never played a video game in my entire life where getting 100% in something didn't completely ruin my love for the game in the process.

That is why I've only 100%'d two zones in the game so far (and even those two zones were utterly horrid to 100%). I'm so scared I would try to do it, and end up hating the game after it's all said and done.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Exploring =/= obsessively doing everything. I love exploring, but I rarely complete a map. I go in a direction, find cool stuff to do, and then go in another direction. Completing the map is just utter torture for me. It's systematic, mechanical completion; the very definition of what I hate in video games.

For me, the best part of PvE is running dungeons and fighting in events.
You just have to look at it as an opportunity to explore every zone. :p

Ken

I love exploring, but if I went out and decided to explore a new city, I wouldn't walk into every building and walk down every street. I would go in the direction of what catches my fancy. In any place you go, some things are going to suck, and some things are going to be boring.

Generally speaking, getting 100% in something in a video game is pretty much torture. I've never played a video game in my entire life where getting 100% in something didn't completely ruin my love for the game in the process.

That is why I've only 100%'d two zones in the game so far (and even those two zones were utterly horrid to 100%)

I love punching things.

I hate climbing up mountains to get to a vista.

Maybe when they add the option to punch through mountains to get to the vista I will explore more.

Xhorder

Have you tried installing some realtek drivers in your bootcamp installation? Apple Bootcamp drivers are known for being ancient and terrible.

I think I tried that, might run through it again to see if I can fix it. But at some point I figured I better put some time in the game instead of trying to run it on my Mac :)

thetrin

You just have to look at it as an opportunity to explore every zone. :p

There's really not much to see on your way to 100%ing a zone if you've already run all over a given zone, and doing all the hearts is enough to dissuade me, as that alone is an exercise in repetitive torture.

The best parts of the game are the dynamic and random elements like events and changing areas. The static parts like hearts and POIs are definitely the low points.

A bad part about 100%ing the world was GW2 making me explore each of the Copy-Pasted Borderlands 3 times total where the vistas and POIs are exactly the same. Another bad part had to do with buggy map features, like Straits of Devastation's southwest skill point that required me to camp the challenge during a nightly 3am reset.

But I love vistas and conquering the puzzle and path it takes to find them - in fact, I was actively disappointed by vistas that were basically in front of me without any special or difficult path to get to them. A couple of the vistas in Dredgehaunt Cliffs were especially brutal and incredibly fun to finally achieve.

OceanBlue

I don't know if it's because I'm so adverse to exploring that I haven't noticed, but I feel that if each place I've been to were given more personality beyond, "Village/outpost in the middle of nowhere that occasionally gets attacked by local wildlife," or, "Giant sprawling city where most of its parts are pretty much the same," I'd like exploring more. Right now, "you've seen one, you've seen them all," fits a lot of the exploring I've done so far.

Edit: There are some interesting places, so I guess I'm exaggerating, but they're rarer than I'd like.

thetrin

A bad part about 100%ing the world was GW2 making me explore each of the Copy-Pasted Borderlands 3 times total where the vistas and POIs are exactly the same. Another bad part had to do with buggy map features, like Straits of Devastation's southwest skill point that required me to camp the challenge during a nightly 3am reset.

But I love vistas and conquering the puzzle and path it takes to find them - in fact, I was actively disappointed by vistas that were basically in front of me without any special or difficult path to get to them. A couple of the vistas in Dredgehaunt Cliffs were especially brutal and incredibly fun to finally achieve.

I like vistas, but I'm not a fan of platformer games in general (I don't really even like Mario games anymore), so the fact that I like vistas at all is saying a lot.

Again, I wish I liked 100%ing things in games, but it's usually torture and sucks all the fun out of the game. Anything that involves doing absolutely everything devolves into a mechanical affair, which automatically turns it from a game into a job. It's not the game's fault. That's a flaw with video games as a medium. I suppose some people enjoy doing absolutely everything, but I liken 100%ing things to doing my taxes.

What I love about games is that emotional engagement. That "wow" moment, and the way the game tries to connect with you in unexpected and exciting ways. What I don't like about games is performing repetitive or time consuming actions for an eventual reward. At that point, I can't help but ask for a steady salary for doing so.

(running dungeons for gear is just something I will have to live with. At least that's mostly bashing things in the face, rather running long distances to do something largely uneventful)

I think what keeps me interested in dungeons is the teamwork, the interesting encounters, and in the case of GW2, the really cool set pieces and tools you're given for a specific encounter.

Arah is my favorite Light, CoF is pretty nice too but I'm sure it's level 75.

All exotics after CM are 80, so you actually get a pretty wide selection of dungeon gear to choose from.

ibmubMkNchO630.png
What does the different color on the player's level indicate? I see those running around Lion's Arch and elsewhere all the time.

thetrin

What does the different color on the player's level indicate? I see those running around Lion's Arch and elsewhere all the time.

Purple/Pink means they're WAY higher level than you are.

Ferrio

Banned
Here's a picture of me doing events in orr.

OcyS1.jpg

fDBuG.png

Yep, just that... flashing constantly.. who knows what's happening!? About had a seizure.

thetrin

Here's a picture of me doing events in orr.

OcyS1.jpg

fDBuG.png

Yep, just that... flashing constantly.. who knows what's happening!? About had a seizure.

And the crazy thing is, I'm definitely in one of those screen shots, but no one will ever know.

thetrin

Really? That's good to know.

If you go to Lion's Arch and check out the vendors east of the circle of asura gates, you can check out all the dungeon gear. It's a good place to do some window shopping for future gear.

Lulubop

If you go to Lion's Arch and check out the vendors east of the circle of asura gates, you can check out all the dungeon gear. It's a good place to do some window shopping for future gear.

Yea, I ran CoF with some gaffers earlier and both version were surprisingly easy. I guess I'll be working toward that.

thetrin

Yea, I ran CoF with some gaffers earlier and both version were surprisingly easy. I guess I'll be working toward that.

I'm going to work for Flame Legion gear myself, so I may have to run CoF a bunch with you. Would you be up for some CoF story tomorrow? I still haven't touched the dungeon.

Trey

You got 100 percent world? What was the reward?

desverger

Finally tried Explorable AC last night. At first, we tried the route with the Graveling Burrows event, and quickly got frustrated at the fact that it's really tough to hit those burrows as a melee. Miss miss miss!

We also didn't have a clue of what to do in the room - should we go for the nests asap or kill the breeders which quickly overwhelm us - so we ended up resetting it and taking the easiest route.

First boss (the ranger) was a tough one, but I really liked the challenge in it. Everything else after that was pretty much just loot pickups. I don't really mind having one easy route, but I hope they fix the issues in the other route(s).

Are the easy routes in other dungeons just as easy? And do you get more tears/whatever by doing the more difficult routes?

thetrin

Finally tried Explorable AC last night. At first, we tried the route with the Graveling Burrows event, and quickly got frustrated at the fact that it's really tough to hit those burrows as a melee. Miss miss miss!

We also didn't have a clue of what to do in the room - should we go for the nests asap or kill the breeders which quickly overwhelm us - so we ended up resetting it and taking the easiest route.

First boss (the ranger) was a tough one, but I really liked the challenge in it. Everything else after that was pretty much just loot pickups. I don't really mind having one easy route, but I hope they fix the issues in the other route(s).

Are the easy routes in other dungeons just as easy? And do you get more tears/whatever by doing the more difficult routes?

My group last night did the Ghost Eater path, and except for one section, found it pretty easy.

desverger

My group last night did the Ghost Eater path, and except for one section, found it pretty easy.

That's the one we did as well, and yup - it was easy :)

Had no idea what to do with the cannons at the Ghost Eater though - they seem to do minimal damage and take ages to reload.

That's the one we did as well, and yup - it was easy :)

Had no idea what to do with the cannons at the Ghost Eater though - they seem to do minimal damage and take ages to reload.

That's just one case of the devs not knowing how to properly balance anything in dungeons. A warning to anyone who wants to do it - avoid the Crucible (story mode) at all costs. Worst encounter design I've ever seen in any game ever.

darkwing

wow the WvW fight right is pretty dynamic, it is a good match, we are still leading though, put up an epic defense when we took the IOJ garrison, the South inner door was open the whole time because of Meguuma lol

Lulubop

I'm going to work for Flame Legion gear myself, so I may have to run CoF a bunch with you. Would you be up for some CoF story tomorrow? I still haven't touched the dungeon.

Sure thing, I'll be around Tomorrow.

The Ghost Eater path is what's recommend. I'm pretty sure you'll always get 30 tokens no matter the path.

Arcteryx

wow the WvW fight right is pretty dynamic, it is a good match, we are still leading though, put up an epic defense when we took the IOJ garrison, the South inner door was open the whole time because of Meguuma lol

Yea today has been a great day for WvW. Had an epic encounter holding garrison when two gates had fallen: I perched myself on the bridge overlooking the SE entrance(big stairs) and was just raining arrows with my arrow cart(both down the stairs and then wildly flipping the cart to the other side to stop them at the other gate). Luckily I had some other players to protect the sides of the bridge so I didn't get flanked by the huge Maguuma zerg.

darkwing

Yea today has been a great day for WvW. Had an epic encounter holding garrison when two gates had fallen: I perched myself on the bridge overlooking the SE entrance(big stairs) and was just raining arrows with my arrow cart(both down the stairs and then wildly flipping the cart to the other side to stop them at the other gate). Luckily I had some other players to protect the sides of the bridge so I didn't get flanked by the huge Maguuma zerg.

lol I was Jared Darkwing there, I was calling out supplies for the backdoor which was open forever lol

Morokh

Hit level 40 yesterday and fiddled around with some alts, and discovered the dungeon gear vendors (thought the preview was bugged until I saw the second tab ... DOH ! )

So how do dungeons work exactly, since the vendors are token based ? how is the difficulty between all of them ?

Seems that all but the two first dungeons can give lvl 80 gear, but are the stats the same for all of them or is there some progression here too. (just checked the ones for the last two dungeons and they were the same)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Word of warning. Guild backpacks are ugly as fuck and clipping into character models is quite bad. (sticks out more with how the particular model is made)

It being 1G and up doesnt help with the issue too.

Gala

My account was hacked on the 4th of september and after 5 days I got a a generic mail from the support asking me for several details such as accountname and GW2 key, which I provided them in my first mail -_-. Great customer service!

Oh and now I'm waiting for two days again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom