• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I restarted Guardian. Level 8 after a few hours and holy crap, they're great once you get going. Greatsword and Hammer are fantastic and using some of the healing skills with staff was fun too, the fact they made that fun to me amazing, because I hate healing.. anything.

Puckmarin

Banned
So I restarted Guardian. Level 8 after a few hours and holy crap, they're great once you get going. Greatsword and Hammer are fantastic and using some of the healing skills with staff was fun too, the fact they made that fun to me amazing, because I hate healing.. anything.

As I posted earlier I'm level 16ish with my Guardian and I'm rolling with a Staff/torch as my main weapon set. SO MUCH FIRE! It's great and gives the Guardian some range. My secondary weapon is the Greatsword but I think that will mainly be for PvP.

Nightz

So I took a break from my guardian and created a thief a couple of days ago. I love it! Pistol whip + haste is awesome lol. Looks like my guardian will be sitting on the bench for a while.

KKRT00

Still on the fence about this game....

I dont think that there is [and ever was really] AAA game on the market that will give You more content per $/E than GW 2.
Just borrow an account from some friend and check it out, but if You like MMOs You cant go wrong with this game, because it doesnt have and wont have subscription.

As I posted earlier I'm level 16ish with my Guardian and I'm rolling with a Staff/torch as my main weapon set. SO MUCH FIRE! It's great and gives the Guardian some range. My secondary weapon is the Greatsword but I think that will mainly be for PvP.

Yeah, I've been screwing around a bit while unlocking all the skill slots and it seems really interesting to play a heavy armoured class with range.

So I took a break from my guardian and created a thief a couple of days ago. I love it! Pistol whip + haste is awesome lol. Looks like my guardian will be sitting on the bench for a while.

That's funny, I'm the opposite!

That SweetFX Injector looks awesome. Show us how!

Yes, settings. PLEASE!

Please upload it with your settings >.</
As requested: Clicky-clicky!
I didn't do a whole lot. Messed with the vignette (before it was a 1:1 aspect ratio, which looked absolutely terrible on my 16:9 screen), upped the vibrancy, slightly increased exposure. Uploaded it anyway because it's easier than explaining exactly what to change. :)

As a side note, I also use forced ambient occlusion (the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive bits).

Have fun, folks~

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As requested: Clicky-clicky!
I didn't do a whole lot. Messed with the vignette (before it was a 1:1 aspect ratio, which looked absolutely terrible on my 16:9 screen), upped the vibrancy, slightly increased exposure. Uploaded it anyway because it's easier than explaining exactly what to change. :)

As a side note, I also use forced ambient occlusion (the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive bits).

Have fun, folks~
Thanks, was really surprised at how nice it looked without messing with anything at all. Which "level" of AA is your config using?
If you guys have room, Id love to tag along. Im not too picky on the path the group goes on.
Hah I think that might be 5.

Puckmarin

Banned
What's everyone's opinion on crafting? Is it just a time/money sink or are items actually useful in the endgame? I've found that in many other games you don't really need to craft because a) you don't need awesome gear to level and b) once you hit level cap crafted gear is easily replaced by drops. Is this the case in GW2? I guess what I'm asking is, Is there some big payoff to the time/gold invested that makes crafting worth it?

T.O.P

Banned
Cheers. One of my all time favorites.

Also quite a coincidence you talking to me. Was just looking over a list of films you linked me a few months ago, in the Asian films thread. About to start working through some more this week. Cheers for that again.

Also to stay on topic. Looking forward to trying this game with a friend. Like what I've seen so far.

have fun then :D

Are you on Gandara (EU)? i was looking for a buddy now that i started over with an Engineer (fuck Ele)

Btw, can't remember who posted it, there was a picture of a shotgun like a weeks ago with absurd stats that was available to buy from a Karma vendor...anyone remember what was it? :x

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Complaining about exploring? Really gaf? We've hit a new low...

You really should go back and actually read what people said. I just said I don't like exploring absolutely everything. I'm not complaining about it. I just said I don't like it, so I probably won't 100% too many zones.

Most likely going to grab you for Explorable AC tonight Hawkian. And probably thetrin too.

*nod*, I'm in. I'll be available after 6 pm MNT. At some point we need to do CoF Story so I can start getting tokens for my gear.

Puckmarin

Banned
You really should go back and actually read what people said. I just said I don't like exploring. I'm not complaining about it. I just said I don't like it, so I probably won't 100% too many zones.

*nod*, I'm in. I'll be available after 6 pm MNT.

Getting all of the vistas/views, etc... seems a bit like overkill for me. I doubt I'll 100% much either unless I do it by accident while leveling.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Getting all of the vistas/views, etc... seems a bit like overkill for me. I doubt I'll 100% much either unless I do it by accident while leveling.

Thing is, I LOVE exploring in the game. I'm just not a completionist. Those who are have plenty to do in the game, and that's awesome. It's just not for me. I do at least want to hit 50% (I'm currently at 47%)

(just edited my initial post for clarity)

Ashodin

Thing is, I LOVE exploring in the game. I'm just not a completionist. Those who are have plenty to do in the game, and that's awesome. It's just not for me. I do at least want to hit 50% (I'm currently at 47%)

Hawkian's not 70 yet ;)

But what the fuck is MNT? Just kidding. :p

I'm about 70% exploring done. I can't wait to finish and get a star like lump (now that I know what it is).

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Ugh, my main is level 80 and I still haven't even done AC story.

I got a bad case of alt-itis on Sunday and leveled up an Engineer, Mesmer and Thief to 10. I love them all but is it just me or is Mesmer's damage garbage? I think I raked in more deaths on my level 10 Mesmer than I have on my level 80 Guardian.

I think Guardian spoiled me - it feels like the most balanced class in the game. A lot of "oh shit" abilities, great damage, great healing, mitigating damage, has a staff to tag mobs in Dynamic Events for XP, etc. The other classes I played seem to be missing one or two of these elements. For example, I was struggling to tag mobs for XP on my Mesmer and I feel that it's much easier to get smacked around when I don't have three heals and blocking to keep me afloat.

Will say, the engineer's ability to throw bombs at 1200 range non-stop is amazing for WvW. If either Thief or Mesmer could do that I would be all over that.

thetrin

Hawkian's not 70 yet ;)

But what the fuck is MNT? Just kidding. :p

I'm about 70% exploring done. I can't wait to finish and get a star like lump (now that I know what it is).

Well Hawkian needs to get on that shit!

Thanks, was really surprised at how nice it looked without messing with anything at all. Which "level" of AA is your config using?
I honestly don't know, I just kept it at the default level. I generally don't mess with AA settings unless I can still notice the jaggies. (Right now I generally notice sub-pixel aliasing more than anything else, which post-process AA can't fix.)

ascully

(just edited my initial post for clarity)

I have hardly done any combat at all, just going around exploring getting vistas and POI spots. It's been so much fun I wish there were more.

I did something similar but I've gone for dagger/dagger and pistol/pistol. The former is the best (most fun) version of rogue I've ever played and the latter is like a much more mobile version of gunslinger from SWTOR.

Macattk15

Yep. Think of Orr as Mordor (Morrdorr?); it's the domain of the game's current big baddie. You won't last long wandering around unless you're very lucky.

Huh? I 100%'ed the zone basically wandering around Solo doing events with people who were near when events triggered.

Vossler

Good times this weekend doing AC story/exploreable with Hawkian and some other GAFs! Purchased my first tier of culutural armor, and am now broke. Can't wait to continue tonight....

Only one more character to get to LVL 20, any tips on Mesmer class? So far it seems... pretty slow, at least compared to others. The whole illusion/clone thing is interesting, but early on I'm having a hard time putting out damage.

Oh, and I'm leveling all my characters in blocks of tens, moving from one to the next until they're all at the same level. It seemed like a better strategy to avoid burnout than getting one to LVL 80, rinse and repeat.

Desaan

I have hardly done any combat at all, just going around exploring getting vistas and POI spots. It's been so much fun I wish there were more.

So hard to 100% some zones post 50. I've run into so many bugged events that make getting the skill points/poi/hearts a chore if not impossible.

What's everyone's opinion on crafting? Is it just a time/money sink or are items actually useful in the endgame? I've found that in many other games you don't really need to craft because a) you don't need awesome gear to level and b) once you hit level cap crafted gear is easily replaced by drops. Is this the case in GW2? I guess what I'm asking is, Is there some big payoff to the time/gold invested that makes crafting worth it?
I'm enjoying the crafting experience if only for the sense of achievement and wearing my own armor. It's definitely cheaper and quicker to buy gear off the TP, which I do for my weapons. I've hit a stride now in my armorsmithing such that I'm creating a brand new set every 5 levels that I will wear and pretty much nothing discovered goes to waste (I'm level 42, wearing level 40 armor, and already have my level 45 armor set supplies ready to craft). Maybe because this is my first MMO game, but I love this.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm kind of burnt out on my Warrior at lvl 60 now. The skills are really getting stale.

Time for a Mesmer to cleanse the palate.

I was planning to do some SPVP this weekend but decided to focus more on leveling, farming, and crafting instead. I made some full rare sets and a bunch of the 12 slot bags, got my master training manual, and purchased a full set of the tier 1 human cultural armor since I was getting really tired of my current gear. Too bad I've already replaced half of it with pirate themed gear. I'm trying to save my transmutation stones for now so it seems like it was kind of a waste. If the tier 2 and tier 3 thief armor didn't look so badass, I would probably skip those but I have to have them!

I also made my first attempt at AC explorable yesterday with a GAF group. There was a lot of death in the beginning because no one in the group had done the dungeon before and didn't know what to expect. Also, some people weren't in Mumble which made communication a bit difficult. I didn't really pick up on what people were typing in group chat sometimes until is was too late but we managed.

I'm pretty sure we did the Ghost Eater path. The flooded room was bugged so we couldn't progress any further and had to call it quits after that. :(

I would love to do some more AC explorable. Now that I'm almost 50, I also need to get CM Story mode out of the way. I may try and put together a group for that tonight.

Dunlop

They really got to fix the whole dungeon..we'll everything

Hooked up with some guildies out of the blue to do CM exploration (I never did story). Lot of wiping on certain aspects figuring out what is needed to progress (trapped room, barrels on gate, ect..)

We had fun, but by the time it ended not one person had a single item they could use. You get 15 silver for completing but even though you are down leveled to run it the repairs are at you current level. We had a level 80 run it and he was easily out a gold + just in repairs.

I really do not enjoy how much instakill there are in these dungeons, it feels a lot less like strategy and more like an arcade game where I just resawn and run back into the fray

thetrin

Tell me about it, SO many bugged events, it's crazy.

Iron Marches is one of the worst offenders in this case. So many of the events are impossible to complete, and even some of the hearts can't be completed because some portion of it is bugged.

Does anyone else get a problem in sPVP where your main traits reset to blank options? It's very infuriating to fit my F1-F4 abilities and realize that I'm not the walking Mesmer Bomb Man and that I can wasted those cooldowns while I feverishly work to reset my skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom