• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
I should try building a healing power thief. Dual guns, heal on hit heal skill, heal when using initiative trait, heal when using poison... hrmm.

inky

They have the same *amount* of base stats, but actually the Orr Temple gear have a lot of pieces that have unique distribution of them. For example, some of the Orr stuff has Precision, Vitality, and Healing power. This mix isn't available anywhere else to my knowledge.

That's true. I think there are fewer stat combinations in the dungeon gear than in the temples overall simply because there are so many temples, while each dungeon set will have, what, 3 different sets available?

People should also be aware than 1 stat value will always be higher in certain sets while the other 2 will be lower, so only because two different sets have precision doesn't mean they'll have the same amount of it. Better check all of them before making any purchases.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
They have the same base stats. Crafted gear does too. Each temple has a specific rune so you have to go to a specific temple to get the rune you want, like Melandru temple for rune of Melnadru and so on (or buy it in TP), while dungeon gear has different runes and there are all available at once from the same place.

I can second this, not even a couple of days- You get a lot of drops just from chaining events. I've got more yellows from doing this than from having MF boost and doing dungeons for example. Also, you are better off selling your stuff in the weekend, people seem to spend more gold then (though it can mean there's more available items too).

Does all the temple gear have the same skin? As in, the horned helmet with the skull face for Heavy, which is on the Arah gear if I remember correctly.

I'm looking for Power/VIT/Condition DMG gear with a cool skin. So far Flame Legion seems to be my best pick, but I'm curious about what all the temple gear looks like. If someone has a link to some pics, that would be awesome.

Absinthe

That trailer seriously blows my mind with its abject, bizarre awfulness. Their marketing department had been hitting nothing but strikes up until now, I wonder what the deal is.

They're trying to "put you in the MMO". With the response they will get, I have no doubt the next trailer/video they release will be drastically different.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Great CoF story mode run with fellow Gaffers and hitting 72 were today's highlights for me.
I'm really happy that I've been able to do all the story mode dungeons so far and that they all were done without random people from outside the guild. Got to strengthen them bonds.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I think I'm going to purchase a healing set of gear to test out, hopefully it's worth it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I could see it being annoying as hell.. but maybe lacking power, and weak to burst. I don't have much trouble staying alive is.
Sneak attack stacks bleed, but I just mentioned it because you had mentioned a healing power thief; Shadow Refuge of course becomes more effective for your whole team the more of that you've got.

inky

Does all the temple gear have the same skin? As in, the horned helmet with the skull face for Heavy, which is on the Arah gear if I remember correctly.

Yes they all look the same. Someone posted pics in this thread of all the permutations, but I can't find them.

Ok, ignorant questions time.

What is "MF" and "Orr" that people keep referring to? High level dungeons? Where are each located?

MF = Magic Find
Orr = High level (70-80) area (comprising 3 different zones) to the south. I has no hearts, only Dynamic Event chains, some which culminate in attacking certain temples and unlocking a temporary karma vendor for level 80 exotic gear.

"What is "MF" and "Orr" that people keep referring to? High level dungeons? Where are each located?"

MF is Magic Find, a stat that increases your chance to find magic items, just like in Diablo style games. Orr is a level 70-80 area. Actually it's multiple areas on a single continent, but there are no more renown hearts there, just lots of mobs and dynamic events. Lots of potential for level 80 items and high level crafting materials.

One thing I had a question on though is does all end game gear have the same stats? By that I mean all the explorable dungeon gear have the same stats just cosmetic difference? Also, if I buy the Norn Tier 2 Cultural will I be able to transmute stats from end game gear onto it?

Hey Gaf, I just picked this up on friday and decided to roll as a Elementalist. I'm not too sure if I like the class much. Currently I'm only level 15, and I seem to be dying a lot. I'm not an idiot when it comes to MMOs/video games in general. I've put all of my trait points into fire and am using a staff. Is there any secret that I am missing? Should I be using a different weapon combo or?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

oktarb

I just didn't realize how well the flat leveling exp progression AND the level down mechanic works. This is purely from a PVE view but I was kind of surprised when I went to other starter zones to mine copper and ended up running quests and such because ..well..the exp was great. Years of traditional MMO logic was working against me. I mean I read the features list, I understood that there was no exp ramp up/grind as you leveled. I got that the game would level you down when you visited areas you had out leveled. I guess I just didn't realize how well those two work together. No matter where I go I'm getting full exp.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just didn't realize how well the flat leveling exp progression AND the level down mechanic works. This is purely from a PVE view but I was kind of surprised when I went to other starter zones to mine copper and ended up running quests and such because ..well..the exp was great. Years of traditional MMO logic was working against me. I mean I read the features list, I understood that there was no exp ramp up/grind as you leveled. I got that the game would level you down when you visited areas you had out leveled. I guess I just didn't realize how well those two work together. No matter where I go I'm getting full exp.

Yep. There's no exponential EXP curve in GW2.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hey Gaf, I just picked this up on friday and decided to roll as a Elementalist. I'm not too sure if I like the class much. Currently I'm only level 15, and I seem to be dying a lot. I'm not an idiot when it comes to MMOs/video games in general. I've put all of my trait points into fire and am using a staff. Is there any secret that I am missing? Should I be using a different weapon combo or?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Do you not like it because you're dying a lot or because the playstyle you've adopted isn't fun? Do you enjoy it when you're punishing your enemies with little to no effort? Serious question, because squishy classes are squishy.

Also, having not played an Elementalist, I can't give any specific tips (others will do that I'm sure), but having taken my Necro to 80, I understand the frustration of being squishy. Keep in mind that until you've adopted a comfortable and fluid playstyle, you'll be fighting rotations, skills, mechanics (specifically conditions and aggro city), as well as the various attunements you have with your class in particular.

I would venture to say you're best bet is to master all weapon skills to start. Figure out which fits your style. From there, you can start playing with the various attunements to determine how you want to progress. What's great is that you have a LOT of options at your disposal early on. From what I've read, Elementalist can be a bit tricky to play at first since there IS so much to work with - call it a bit overwhelming to start?

Also, regarding your traits, I feel like they don't really start to shape your build until 15-20 points deep when you start unlocking some really great augments. You get a free reset every tier of skill book you buy, so don't worry too much about them (it's also cheap to reset whenever).

Hope that helps in a general sort of way!

E: Unrelated, I feel like ANet should implement a sort of aggro reduction buff. For every level you get adjusted down, you should get a slight reduction in aggro range, capping at some arbitrary value (maybe 50-75%?). It really irks me when I go through a low level zone on my 80 and get a pack of low level enemies pecking at me. I get what they were going for, but it's a BIT aggravating when I'm gathering some low level mats and get aggro from way too far away.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It really is remarkable. It never sucks to go "back" and help newbies out because the XP and loot is far from worthless no matter how much you've "outleveled" it.

I really liked this bit in the PC Gamer review about how all these little tweaks and innovations are implemented in subtle ways you frequently don't even notice, but taken together they really do change everything.
Here, ladies and gentlemen, is one of your massively multiplayer online roleplaying games. We queue and talk shop: we sit on the bus and wait patiently for the next fun thing. Look closer, though, and every aspect of this picture has been made strange by ArenaNet’s bottom-up recalibration of the genre. Those group requests? They’re not class-dependent: Guild Wars 2 has no healers or tanks, and therefore no roles that must be filled before fun can be had. Those players charging up the hill? They range from level eight to eighty, with more powerful characters downscaled to match the encounter, the elite player rubbing winged pauldrons with Jimmy Leatherjerkin. That waypoint? It links to every part of the game I’ve previously visited, allowing me to instantly go off and do something else if I want to. These are the innovations and conveniences that make the game so enjoyable, that make it a viable prospect for players traditionally unwilling to step onto the MMORPG treadmill.
Another one that gets me is the quest rewards being mailed to you. This is already second-nature to us; it probably was for you after two hours of playing. "Going back to the questgiver" to get your reward feels like the goddamn dinosaur age to me now.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

You're not getting full exp but yes you do get a buttload.

I love this since now I can actually party with friends who are underleveled and not feel like I'm wasting time.

I'm also going to other starting areas and mining copper. Armorsmithing is a bitch to level =(

DrHobotnik

Neo Member
So this is an interesting scenario...I received a password change notification for my guild wars account the other day. Thing is..I don't have a guild wars account, at least not one that I've touched in years (I dabbled in the original one). Finding this odd, I proceeded to change the password via the link and to my surprise found Guild Wars 2 attached to it. I also saw that the last activity was from China whereas I live on the other side of the world.

Now I've heard of people hacking accounts to take items and whatnot, but giving someone a game is something I've not encountered until now. I don't know if this is a case of someone registering my email address by accident or someone trying to cover their tracks for doing something dubious but either way I've reported it to their tech support for resolution - I've no interest in playing something I didn't actually ask for or obtain legitimately. No word from them yet. Just wondering if anyone else has had something similar happen and if so, what did you do about it?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
It really is remarkable. It never sucks to go "back" and help newbies out because the XP and loot is far from worthless no matter how much you've "outleveled" it.

While everything does give XP, it is still possible to outlevel it in the sense where xp received isn't that amazing. Example: at level 70, a lvl 3 event gives a sliver of the xp a lvl 70 event would give while a lvl 40 event will be somewhere in between.

I imagine arenanet made it scale like this so high levels don't just farm lower level areas for money and xp. This is also why WvW is great XP, because players are bumped to level 80 you always get XP as if completing an event of appropriate level.

In other words: me putting off my personal story until level 70 was dumb.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
While everything does give XP, it is still possible to outlevel it in the sense where xp received isn't that amazing. Example: at level 70, a lvl 3 event gives a sliver of the xp a lvl 70 event would give while a lvl 40 event will be somewhere in between.

I imagine arenanet made it scale like this so high levels don't just farm lower level areas for money and xp. This is also why WvW is great XP, because players are bumped to level 80 you always get XP as if completing an event of appropriate level.

In other words: me putting off my personal story until level 70 was dumb.
Well, indeed it's way less than you'd get from a higher level event, and believe me, filling in a level 60 heart at level 52 gets you a whole load of xp over a level 50. But most importantly, the XP never becomes legitimately worthless- to the point where it would literally have no impact on your progression, as is common in the genre.

Yasae

Banned
Boy they nerfed chocolate chip cookies. What was it... 26% magic find? Now it's nothing.

The 40 precision is still nice, I guess.

Shanlei91

Well, indeed it's way less than you'd get from a higher level event, and believe me, filling in a level 60 heart at level 52 gets you a whole load of xp over a level 50. But most importantly, the XP never becomes legitimately worthless- to the point where it would literally have no impact on your progression, as is common in the genre.

Ya, I guess what I'm getting at is that it's not worth holding off on an area, quest or event for higher level since the reward wont' be as good.

Though I do love that you still get some reward for completing any content that you go back to do. 100%'ing the other starter maps at level 80 will be more satisfying knowing that I will get a few karma/coin here and there.

ttocs

Digital sales popping back up is a good sign. Maybe they are a little more confident in their ability to scale the size of the game and handle the issues that come with that effort.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ya, I guess what I'm getting at is that it's not worth holding off on an area, quest or event for higher level since the reward wont' be as good.
that's very true. really, there's little reason to ever put anything off in this game, from what I've seen. Some people were talking about 100%ing things at 80 for better rewards, but really if you want to do something I say just go for it.

Izayoi

Banned
Dude playing Elementalist: stop playing Elementalist and pick a different class. The first class I played in beta was Elementalist and I almost ended up writing off the game because of it. It soured my entire experience. I switched to a Warrior for live and I could not be happier with the game.

oktarb

Higher level players please help me grok this.

Right now the most exciting thing I get in loot are Undiscovered Dyes (Closely followed by Chests). I enjoy opening them up to reveal my wonderful hue of Peacock Green or Pee On Snow yellow. I think I enjoy these treats because equipment just doesn't seem to have a major impact. I get a new piece of gear, upgrade and done. There's no oompff. I never feel like I'm substantially tougher because I have slightly better armor or that I'm now the Own master 2000 because i got a new sword. I slowly and steadily upgrade my gear along with my levels but at the end of the day a lvl 1 sword has the same abilities of a lvl 20 sword. I just never get that "Oh now you're fucked! here' comes the pain!" - from my gear anyway. I still love new abilities and sapping weapons for different abilities. But hell if I open up a Undiscovered Dye to reveal Liver Spot Brown, well that's a good find.

Ferrio

Banned
Gear is never about being uber powerful, kinda the philosophy around GW. Legendaries will only have *slightly* better stats than an exotic of the same level. Gear is all about looks, and your stat allocation.

What are the dyes for?

Looking fabulous. Oh and the "Guess the dye color" game in guild chat.

Shanlei91

Higher level players please help me grok this.

Right now the most exciting thing I get in loot are Undiscovered Dyes (Closely followed by Chests). I enjoy opening them up to reveal my wonderful hue of Peacock Green or Pee On Snow yellow. I think I enjoy these treats because equipment just doesn't seem to have a major impact. I get a new piece of gear, upgrade and done. There's no oompff. I never feel like I'm substantially tougher because I have slightly better armor or that I'm now the Own master 2000 because i got a new sword. I slowly and steadily upgrade my gear along with my levels but at the end of the day a lvl 1 sword has the same abilities of a lvl 20 sword. I just never get that "Oh now you're fucked! here' comes the pain!" - from my gear anyway. I still love new abilities and sapping weapons for different abilities. But hell if I open up a Undiscovered Dye to reveal Liver Spot Brown, well that's a good find.

Getting an amazing upgrade is rare as you are constantly getting upgrades as you level. At some point (around level 40) I did get a rare Great Sword and realized it had doubled the damage of my current Great Sword at the time. That was a nice boost to damage, but really was only a result of me never maintaining my gear/buying gear.

Another opportunity to notice a difference in effectiveness: a level 8 player with almost no stats on their gear vs a level 30+ player covered in stats, while in WvW. Due to the level 8 having no bonus stats on their gear, there is nothing to scale to level 80 so they are just awful.

oktarb

Dude playing Elementalist: stop playing Elementalist and pick a different class. The first class I played in beta was Elementalist and I almost ended up writing off the game because of it. It soured my entire experience. I switched to a Warrior for live and I could not be happier with the game.

To the dude that stopped playing an Elementalist and started playing a Warrior: Stop playing your Warrior and play your Elemenalist.

I kid. All the classes have something to offer, its all personal taste. here's my thoughts on what I've played.

Ranger/Necromancer: I'm over pet classes so I've played these these least. I do love the range advantage of the Ranger. They feel awesome and if you like pets these guys rock. Each race has a slightly different set of starter pets.

Warrior: Weapon wielding brutes power houses. they use more weapon combos then any other class by far. My complaints are simple. Their abilities are a tad boring, effective as hell but boring. You can use a ton of weapons but you can only equip two sets. Warriors should be able to equip three or four sets.

Elementalist: I loved him normally but once I went through the 2 hours of physical therapy adjusting to plying with a controller everything changed. Now I duck, dodge and weave tossing spells out as nothing touches me. Great variety in play style from the default fire DPS god to the water healing guru.

Thief: What's black, white, red and silver? My albino Asura Blender of Death. I'm sorry I can't hear you over my stabs. Stabby stab twirl flip stab. next.

Guardian: Don't like dying? These guys are unstoppable and have some magic flash unlike their Warrior counter parts. Solid but slow.

Engineer: Are you that weird fucker that puts nuts and bananas in their Jello? That's the Engineer. Something for everything. With a button press you can change your entire play style. Drop turrets or turn into a giggling bomb dropping maniac? With someone pop out your team gun and heal, poison and buff. Not for those looking for a focused form of play.

Mesmer: No idea, never played one. they like purple. a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom