• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, what's your issue with it? I don't get the Dead Space reference, sorry.

Dead Space...you're moving through content in the game. Getting used to a particular play style as well as the controls and then...bam...they put you in a situation with a completely unfamiliar mechanic and method of control. That might not be too terrible were it not for how the difficulty was ratcheted up. It's a moment of really poor game design inside an otherwise strong game with very tight game design. It's an anomaly. What were they thinking?

The same goes for Ascalonian Catacombs. It's hard...like...fucking hard. I've completed it more times than I've failed to do so but still...there's always two or three significant ass-kickings.

So AC had me thinking that maybe I was just playing wrong when grinding on mobs leading up to it and although it might be nice that the "beginner dungeon" eases the players a little more into what dungeon running will be like...so be it. Tough love and all that. Get better at the game, right? So I get better...but AC is still pretty fucking tough but I chalk it up to lack of gear and that I still need to get..."more better".

Then I hit 40th level and Cadecus' Manor opens up. I'm thinking...okay...how much of a mother-fucker is this one going to be? Surprisingly, I coast through Cadecus' Manor. Thinking it's luck, I PUG a second time through and once again...it's no where near as difficult as AC.

I haven't gone into the third dungeon yet but so far, I can't help but feel that AC is the anomaly in this. Why is it the way it is?

You might want to learn what an opinion is, because the first part of what he quoted is not an opinion. The reviewer is saying it doesn't work when in fact it does.

Your the one who can't read, since he said "doesn't work very well". Hes not saying it doesn't work, just that it doesn't always work that well, which is *gasp* an opinion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Your the one who can't read, since he said "doesn't work very well". Hes not saying it doesn't work, just that it doesn't always work that well, which is *gasp* an opinion.
I think that saying something "doesn't work well" rather than saying that you "don't like how it works" crosses into stating something as fact, but regardless even if we stipulate that it's an opinion (and I certainly concede that the "clunky" part is), it's a sorely ill-informed opinion at level 12 and that's why I used that word.

Xiaoki

You might want to learn what an opinion is, because the first part of what he quoted is not an opinion. The reviewer is saying it doesn't work when in fact it does.

For which class? Im on my Guardian right now and I cant use Shield of Absorption and then roll immediately afterwards.

Who's "ill informed" now?

Levyne

Banned
Another topic...does anyone know how you get the "old hero/villian" armor that shows up in the TP? Like Reyna's/Devona's/Zhed's/Aidan's/ etc armor? Mystic forge luck like the pre-legendary exotics I guess?

I can almost afford a set of some of the medium armor but will wait to be able to preview from the TP before I jump in.

I think that saying something "doesn't work well" rather than saying that you "don't like how it works" crosses into stating something as fact.

It's only fact if you choose to read it as such. Anyone who reads reviews should know that the whole point of it, is to be a persons opinion. They rarely write in the form of "I don't like the art style", "I don't like how it controls". Reviews are meant to be purely opinion based, most people realize this going in.

TheYanger

Dead Space...you're moving through content in the game. Getting used to a particular play style as well as the controls and then...bam...they put you in a situation with a completely unfamiliar mechanic and method of control. That might not be too terrible were it not for how the difficulty was ratcheted up. It's a moment of really poor game design inside an otherwise strong game with very tight game design. It's an anomaly. What were they thinking?

The same goes for Ascalonian Catacombs. It's hard...like...fucking hard. I've completed it more times than I've failed to do so but still...there's always two or three significant ass-kickings.

So AC had me thinking that maybe I was just playing wrong when grinding on mobs leading up to it and although it might be nice that the "beginner dungeon" eases the players a little more into what dungeon running will be like...so be it. Tough love and all that. Get better at the game, right? So I get better...but AC is still pretty fucking tough but I chalk it up to lack of gear and that I still need to get..."more better".

Then I hit 40th level and Cadecus' Manor opens up. I'm thinking...okay...how much of a mother-fucker is this one going to be? Surprisingly, I coast through Cadecus' Manor. Thinking it's luck, I PUG a second time through and once again...it's no where near as difficult as AC.

I haven't gone into the third dungeon yet but so far, I can't help but feel that AC is the anomaly in this. Why is it the way it is?

AC is the anomoly. You're absolutely right. It's a shit dungeon in a game with only average dungeons at best already. Many of the others are vastly more fun, anyone defending AC I can almost immediately dismiss as a fanboy in the truest sense of the word. Not trying to sound 'mean' but it really is hard to justify the mechanics of that zone - It's not hard per se, it's just actively spiteful of the players. Difficult for all the wrong reasons given the type of gameplay GW2 has.

There's a reason that the only explorable mode 90% of the population runs is Citadel of Flame

Anyone got a nice resource for post-80 end game goals and how they work? Normally I don't have trouble "Googling" info, mainly from wiki's, but this game has been tougher then normal for whatever reason? Might be because I'm having trouble on specific details on what to search for.

Currently trying to get info for Legendary Weapons, Gear Sets, Crafting, and PvP for post-80 stuff to do (outside 100% completion). Am I missing anything to research?

I think that there is so much to do in this game which isn't organized for the player very well that it creates so much "noise" that is hard to find "specific" goals ingame without research. Just my view so far.

Zoink

I seem to be kinda stuck. I've been going through the Norn 40-50 area, which I'm now halfway done with, but I'm only level 42, and I've started to run into trouble fighting mobs 5-8 levels above me.

http://guildwars2hub.com/guides/exploration/cities-explorable-zones-and-dungeons

If you just 100% all those outdoor zones you level to 80 & about 10 times 80->81 [Official Zoink Guesstimate]

/edit just noticed that list doesn't include Malchor's Leap [75-80] and Cursed Shore [80]

For which class? Im on my Guardian right now and I cant use Shield of Absorption and then roll immediately afterwards.

Who's "ill informed" now?

The reviewer said do a barrel roll then use shield skills. I just logged on my Guardian alt and did barrel rolls and then use my shield skill and it worked every time. Of course you can't use a barrel roll immediately after shield of absorption, you drop to your knee and channel the shield... but nice try

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Where can I get more info on this SweetFX thingamajig? I want these colors, dammit!
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=2285718dce0cbb9d&id=2285718DCE0CBB9D!482
I have a Sweetfx question, does it work in fullscreen borderless window mode? I'm partially colorblind so I don't know if it's actually working because my game doesn't look as good as those screenshots. I do however get the same crash error someone else mentioned every time I close GW2
If you are getting crashes, it probably isn't working at all. You can switch it on and off in real time with the scroll lock key. If that doesn't work, it's not working for you.

I thought it was Nvidia-only but apparently it may not be.

Are you using mumble or any other overlay?

AC is the anomoly. You're absolutely right. It's a shit dungeon in a game with only average dungeons at best already. Many of the others are vastly more fun, anyone defending AC I can almost immediately dismiss as a fanboy in the truest sense of the word. Not trying to sound 'mean' but it really is hard to justify the mechanics of that zone - It's not hard per se, it's just actively spiteful of the players. Difficult for all the wrong reasons given the type of gameplay GW2 has.

There's a reason that the only explorable mode 90% of the population runs is Citadel of Flame

Thanks for the insight man.

It's not just inconsistency with the entirety of AC. It happens IN AC as well.

The fight with the necromancer (Kasha?) and the final fight with Adelbern? Easy. Ridiculously so.

The random encounter fight with the cave troll? Christ...

And...no surprise but The Lovers? I get the mechanics of that fight but it's sloppy and difficult and the lack of a readily understandable aggro-mechanic makes the fight ridiculous. The fact that most groups will need to resort to the inelegant solution of boulder-spamming is proof-positive that the Lovers fight is a poorly crafted one.

Cadecus' Manor at level 40 was appropriate with some challenge but a bit on the easy side but that might be because I stacked a tonne of Vitality and Toughness.

Ascalonian Catacombs at level 30 as a beginner dungeon without any line of sight to stacking of Toughness or Vitality is...dare I say...impossible.

Ascalonian Catacombs explorer mode at level 35ish...is even more of a pipedream.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It throws you in the deep end, while CM feels actually fairly easy in comparison.

I have two responses to that: One, CM being shorter probably should have been applied to the AC Story mode.

Two, CM feels easier, but I wonder if a big part of that is what you learn from pushing through AC.
I think CM, story and explorable, is way, objectively easier. I don't think it's a bad thing for them to not go in a direct order of difficulty. But based on all the complains I'd wager AC story just needs to be made easier so it's not so frustrating to people cutting their teeth on a dungeon.

I like the challenge AC provides a lot, I thought it was a good test of general skill in Story mode and the one path I've done in explorable rewarded a lot of creative thinking.

ouch. What mechanics would you describe as "actively spiteful"?

If anything that descriptor applies better to my first encounter with Shotgunface in CM before figuring out how to trip him up. BAM "what the" BAM "I can't" BAM "can't dodge" BAM "hey I'm down!" BAM dead

dorn.

Just 100%ed Frostgorge Sound and got two exotics(worth 50s and 1g respectively), 40 Orichalcum Ore and a Black Lion Key. Did I just get lucky or does completing level 80 zones always give that much?

Giard

Shared cooldowns.

Thanks!

Another question: Are guilds bugged? I'm the leader of a guild, we bought the first Politics upgrade yesterday, seems it's gone from the queue now but we didn't get the upgrade.

When I talk to the Guild Registrar for a bigger license, he says I need "invite" permissions. I'm the leader, I have those. :/

Levyne

Banned
Just 100%ed Frostgorge Sound and got two exotics(worth 50s and 1g respectively), 40 Orichalcum Ore and a Black Lion Key. Did I just get lucky or does completing level 80 zones always give that much?

Getting the ore is lucky. I think some people get the tier 6 leather or high level food items which may not be as useful. I guess it depends on your goals, though.

I'm logging on now for an all day session. Is there anyone around level 16 that wants to group up? I've been a loner most of the time, I could use some company.

Vossler

I didn't find AC as difficult as most. I think, like hawkian stated, it's a dungeon that asks "How well do you know your class, and have you paying attention to its strengths/weaknesses these past 30 levels?" I will say most first foray took about an hour, but it wasn't anything that I hadn't experienced in Guild Wars. Yes, you die a lot, but it's my thinking you're supposed to learn something from those deaths, as I quickly learned that I shouldn't be doing any melee fighting as a ranger, just rolling nuker/ints as best I could. I'm only level 39, but I can't wait to try the other dungeons.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm logging on now for an all day session. Is there anyone around level 16 that wants to group up? I've been a loner most of the time, I could use some company.
Are you on Stormbluff? Happy to tag along. I'm level 62 but it doesn't matter :D

pm Hawkian the Blade in-game. I won't be on that actively til the workday's over though.
I didn't find AC as difficult as most. I think, like hawkian stated, it's a dungeon that asks "How well do you know your class, and have you paying attention to its strengths/weaknesses these past 30 levels?" I will say most first foray took about an hour, but it wasn't anything that I hadn't experienced in Guild Wars. Yes, you die a lot, but it's my thinking you're supposed to learn something from those deaths, as I quickly learned that I shouldn't be doing any melee fighting as a ranger, just rolling nuker/ints as best I could. I'm only level 39, but I can't wait to try the other dungeons.
Can't argue with it being put that way. AC Story did more to force me to learn my strengths and weaknesses than anything before it.

AC as an entry level dungeon is way too difficult

You know this me seems to be the "reverse MMO." The early game is vastly more difficult at times then the end game. Or in other words, as you play through the game, it felt easier and easier (until you get to Orr but that is because everythng wants to eat you from a mile away).

I just started a new alt and was amazed how hard the game was at times versus my level 80. Granted new class and no skills, but that is sort of the point:p Heck, mainly due to supply issues, the early crafting levels I found to be WAY more difficult (and expensive) to finish versus higher tiered crafting.

Xiaoki

My only gripe with AC is that everything does WAY too much damage.

Elementalists spam fireballs that do a quarter of your health. Rangers can 2 shot people but also love to apply bleeds and poisons that last a long time and do a lot of damage. Monks have a bouncing attack that does a ton of damage.

The Lovers isnt too hard but I get pissed at the adds that do Confusion and a DoT that ticks for around 10%.

Greatly increasing the damage of otherwise basic mobs to create an artificial difficulty is lazy design.

This is only compounded by the expected level of gear your average 30 to 35 player is going to have when they enter AC. You get a full team level 80s in Rare and Exotic gear and its not going to be very hard but a full team of level 30s with Fine and Masterwork gear is going to get their asses kicked.

Trey

I would absolutely love Guild Wars 2 servers that were WvW done on a huge scale, with all the events in (and taking place based on what each faction is doing), with design that could keep the zergs to a minimum somehow. Not sure how to pull of that last one, exactly, but I think it'd be fun.

I don't see how you can reconcile GW2's event system and general "togetherness" design philosophy with an active, faction based, player versus player dynamic in the current PvE setting. Soloing would be discouraged game wide instead of merely in the late game areas because of griefing, which is something Anet actively tried to purge from their MMO model. And you couldn't just have a couple characters on such server to mess around with every now and again -- all your characters would have to be on PVP servers unless you had the amount of cash (and desire to spend said cash) on hand for a liberal use of the guesting feature.

Furthermore, I don't see this as a particularly desirable niche whose itch isn't sufficiently scratched by WvW.

I used to feel the same...and then I hit forty and did Cadecus' Manor. Then, you might very well realize how fucking strange AC is.

docbon

The random encounter fight with the cave troll? Christ...

Ahahaha, yes. The first time I ran AC with a few other gaffers on mumble, he busted through the wall like the kool aid man and proceeded to slaughter us in seconds. Totally unexpected, and something we weren't prepared for.

Are you on Stormbluff? Happy to tag along. I'm level 62 but it doesn't matter :D

pm Hawkian the Blade in-game. I won't be on that actively til the workday's over though.

Yes sir! As a matter of fact you're the only person I've ever PM'd before (guild invite yesterday). :D

Anyone else unemployed at the moment like me and playing all afternoon?

Oh shit I alt tabbed while using a way point and died. That will teach me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I'm lvl 80, but I'm happy to join as well. I won't be on until after 6pm Mountain Time, though.

AC as an entry level dungeon is way too difficult

Do not agree. The only truly difficult part of AC story is lovers, and you figure out how to beat them after a couple deaths.

If anything, CM is too easy.

Ahahaha, yes. The first time I ran AC with a few other gaffers on mumble, he busted through the wall like the kool aid man and proceeded to slaughter us in seconds. Totally unexpected, and something we weren't prepared for.

I love the idea of it. The mechanics of it.

I love the anxiety it creates because at any time you might have to deal with the asshole.

It's almost always a wipe however.

I kited him for quite a while one time as the other players burned down the encounter we had been fighting when he appeared but the concept of "aggro" in GW2 is a bit unpredictable so when he suddenly peeled off of me and started tuning up the other players and then things went sideways.

Trey

You think the aggro is GW2 is merely "a bit" unpredictable? I was fighting a skillpoint in Blazeridge Steppes who would routinely disengage me and run across the depot to attack a player four times father than me to her, whose only crime was selling some items within mini map range of her bloodlust.

But in the end it's all just pie in the sky thinking. Game design talk. Nothing we'll see anytime soon, nor am I actively demanding it be included. As I said, I'm just a fan of that kind of design.

It's an interesting thing. I too kind of liked that dynamic in WoW during my very brief time with that game (I have just south of 100 hours logged in GW2 -- which is half a dozen times longer than I played WoW), but it's good we both agree that it wouldn't work as stated in GW2.

However, how could you design an MMO from the ground up that required such a widespread (server wide) emphasis on cooperation with high incentives while keeping griefing at bay? Not to mention promoting parity in order to keep thing interesting while preserving individual skill.

ShaneB

Been checking out the Brady strategy guide, it's pretty neat, if for nothing else other than the lore section. I'll give that a full reading asap. As fun as the game is, I want to understand more about the world and why things are as they are.

Hoping for some WvW grouping perhaps this weekend. Really itching to get back to that.

Kingbrave

Yes sir! As a matter of fact you're the only person I've ever PM'd before (guild invite yesterday). :D

Anyone else unemployed at the moment like me and playing all afternoon?

Oh shit I alt tabbed while using a way point and died. That will teach me.

I'm disabled and home all day to play if you ever need help. My char's name is Grank Kaar.

Retro

So how do you beat them?

Serious answer: 1-2 people throw boulders at one to keep him neutralized while the other members of the group whittle down the other one. Alternatively, I've heard you can use the door/switch mechanism to trap one of the lovers outside the room. Haven't tried that myself, but the boulder thing definitely does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom