• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno

What weapons are necros using? I'm d/d/staff currently. Feels powerful, and it meshes well with some of the trait lines. I really would like to focus more on condition damage though, so I guess I probably need to sub in scepter mainhand.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What weapons are necros using? I'm d/d/staff currently. Feels powerful, and it meshes well with some of the trait lines. I really would like to focus more on condition damage though, so I guess I probably need to sub in scepter mainhand.

I did scepter/dagger main with staff off up to 80. My post history will tell you that I didn't mind it, but the class is a bit weak overall. I feel that condition damage is by and large the best way to build and play a Necro, though - wells/marks/AoEs are ALL condition based, so you should really be picking weapons and armor that augment that accordingly.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I love my short and stocky Norn, leaping into battle with dual axes only to get focus fired to death in a nano second, a true warriors death!

eek5

Fields of Ruin is kind of a pain in the butt to get to directly but the TP there is right next to the bank and you can open them both up at the same time. There is a row of crafting stations but the "instructors" don't sell stuff so you have to walk a bit for the vendor. Pretty sweet spot to buy/sell stuff otherwise.

Dunlop

Hit 60,bought my grandmaster book an now have about 10 copper to my name.

I need to figure out how to make money. Haven't touched crafting as I was planning on doing that to get me past the hump at 70

kagete

I have a Sweetfx question, does it work in fullscreen borderless window mode? I'm partially colorblind so I don't know if it's actually working because my game doesn't look as good as those screenshots. I do however get the same crash error someone else mentioned every time I close GW2

eek5

I need to figure out how to make money. Haven't touched crafting as I was planning on doing that to get me past the hump at 70

Sell your fine mats while they're a hot commodity. I've leveled all my crafting by putting buy orders for the pieces that the fine mats make. It's way cheaper than actually getting the mats and crafting the components yourself so you'll end up ahead anyway. You just have to be patient about it because sometimes nobody will fill your buy orders for several hours.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Here's a few tips that have kept me above 2g for a while now.

1) There will always be a demand for higher level crafting ingredients (Omnomberries, Oricalchum (sp?), even gold+ ore). Most is level 80 stuff, but the gold+ ore can be found in Bloodtide and beyond. You will NEED to farm in GW2 to make money at some point.

2) Those damned bloods, sacs, totems, claws, etc are necessary for crafting. You can save them for yourself or sell them for some extra cash.

3) You should also be eating the best MF food you can and selling your blues and greens you find. 1s50c+ per piece is nice. You can also salvage them for crafting mats (if that's what you're after). Rares you find MAY be worth something on the TB, so it's always worth at least checking before you vendor/salvage.

4) Quests will yield between 1-2s per, so do them. I know it seems silly to even have to say that, but by keeping your spending low, you'll come out ahead.

5) Events are also a great source of income. There are a few areas that have chain DEs worth jumping on. I did some Centaur raid in Kessex Hills last night for about 45 minutes (repeating the same DEs over and over....) and made some decent money, exp, and karma. On top of that, I got some nice crafting mats from all the Centaurs.

6) I am going to repeat a combination of some above - eat your MF food and vendor your drops. In the later areas, one "inventory" of stuff will net you 20-50s depending on your level and overall luck. But pretty much every blue that drops in the mid to high level zones will vendor for 1s+.

7) Stealth edit! Be VERY careful on the TB. The TB takes a cut to post an item, a cut when an item sells, AND a cut if you remove an item because you've decided not to sell it. I think the numbers were like 10%, 5%, 5% respectively? Just keep that in mind when selling your stuff.

I know these things all seem so "well I knew that", but it's the nature of the game. You're going to have to grind some in order to get ahead.

NGKrush

Neo Member
I've been playing this game for a bit the last few weeks and I've really been trying to like it, but it's not working for me.

There is so much focus on completing stuff and 100%ing stuff that I feel no freedom to actually go out and explore. Each time the map will tell me the best vista-point, each loading screen tells me how much area completion I have. Daily quests updates constantly ping up.
Characters all look the same to me (why be able to change the corner of my eyelid when no-one will ever notice?)
Also everything is so easy to do and everything is so "right in front of you", I never have the idea I actually mean something in this world. The whole thing feels like a totally overdesigned themepark: It's fun, but if you go there 2 times a year, it already starts to get old.

Reading around I noticed a multi-part article on guild wars 2 on forbes and this man really nails all my opinions I've had about the game so far:

part1:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...art-one-still-grinding-after-all-these-years/

part2:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/09/08/guild-wars-2-review-part-two-player-vs-player/

part 2.5:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/08/29/guild-wars-2-a-grind-by-any-other-name/

part3:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...ngs-arenanet-gets-right-or-very-nearly-right/

arimanius

Is there a way to make someone have to respawn after killing them in WvW or can they just lay on the ground for hours spying and waiting for someone to come along and rez them?

QP3

I think this game looks great, and I am strongly considering buying it.

I obviously like how there is no subscription fee, but if I buy the game now and at some point down the road an expansion comes out, will I be required to buy the expansion in order to continue playing?

datamage

I've been playing this game for a bit the last few weeks and I've really been trying to like it, but it's not working for me.

There is so much focus on completing stuff and 100%ing stuff that I feel no freedom to actually go out and explore. Each time the map will tell me the best vista-point, each loading screen tells me how much area completion I have. Daily quests updates constantly ping up.
Characters all look the same to me (why be able to change the corner of my eyelid when no-one will ever notice?)
Also everything is so easy to do and everything is so "right in front of you", I never have the idea I actually mean something in this world. The whole thing feels like a totally overdesigned themepark: It's fun, but if you go there 2 times a year, it already starts to get old.

Reading around I noticed a multi-part article on guild wars 2 on forbes and this man really nails all my opinions I've had about the game so far:

part1:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...art-one-still-grinding-after-all-these-years/

part2:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/09/08/guild-wars-2-review-part-two-player-vs-player/

part 2.5:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/08/29/guild-wars-2-a-grind-by-any-other-name/

part3:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...ngs-arenanet-gets-right-or-very-nearly-right/

Have you ever played an MMORPG? It seems like the genre is not for you...

ttocs

part1:

part2:

part 2.5:

part3:

I just don't think MMORPGS are for you.

Vodh

I think this game looks great, and I am strongly considering buying it.

I obviously like how there is no subscription fee, but if I buy the game now and at some point down the road an expansion comes out, will I be required to buy the expansion in order to continue playing?

I believe you should be able to continue playing without problems, and the expansion would be required to access new content. There's been no official word from ArenaNet tho.

QP3

I believe you should be able to continue playing without problems, and the expansion would be required to access new content. There's been no official word from ArenaNet tho.

Ok, I guess at this point it is well worth the buy. Thanks a lot.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
From the Forbes article...

lol said:
New weapon skill should keep unlocking ad infinitum, so that players need to choose which moves work best for them, or for any given situation.
While described as “action combat” it nevertheless isn’t really reliant on any player skills so much as it is on damage-per-second and your level.

The first point is, in my opinion, is not even possible. I get what the author is trying to say, but no. And the second point says to me that he didn't play enough. Simple as that.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

You should probably stop being bullied by the loading screen. Especially since the rewards for 100%'ing a zone aren't really that spectacular.

It is very easy to get lost and explore in the game. See a dynamic event off in the distance and chase after it, once it gets done don't go back to where you were but instead wander around. My favorite are the "protect the caravan" quests as they lead you usually to a whole new area.

My OCD wanted me to initially 100% everything but I ended up feeling too overwhelmed by the amount of zones and ended up wandering off into new areas.

I only clicked on one of the forbes and links and thought it was pretty ridiculous so didn't read the rest. Anyone who feels exhausted from doing the same dynamic event over and over should, you know, leave the 100 foot radius where that quest spawns.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Where can I get more info on this SweetFX thingamajig? I want these colors, dammit!

Not sure if rumor, but wasn't there word going round that Anet actually may ban people for using graphic injector stuff, for it messes with the game files in a similar way a hack would?

I don't want to talk out of my ass here, or induce a panic, but I'm sure I read something along those lines.

Won

There was a patch, right? Because I have no idea what the patch did, but most events that were broken yesterday are already stuck/broken again and some new joined the fray. It starts to get really stupid.

koji

Where can I get more info on this SweetFX thingamajig? I want these colors, dammit!

here ->

As requested: Clicky-clicky!
I didn't do a whole lot. Messed with the vignette (before it was a 1:1 aspect ratio, which looked absolutely terrible on my 16:9 screen), upped the vibrancy, slightly increased exposure. Uploaded it anyway because it's easier than explaining exactly what to change. :)

As a side note, I also use forced ambient occlusion (the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive bits).

Have fun, folks~

Not sure if rumor, but wasn't there word going round that Anet actually may ban people for using graphic injector stuff, for it messes with the game files in a similar way a hack would?

I don't want to talk out of my ass here, or induce a panic, but I'm sure I read something along those lines.

Hmmmmm, haven't heard anything about it myself.

Vodh

From the Forbes article...

The first point is, in my opinion, is not even possible. I get what the author is trying to say, but no. And the second point says to me that he didn't play enough. Simple as that.

Yep. I was actually under a similar impression about the weapon skills - but hey, on the other hand, it's a game that's supposed to devour most of your time at the point when you already have all your skills anyways. Along with the downleveling system, it actually makes me feel like i'm playing quasi-endgame from the get-go.

But about the second part, yeah. I mean, I understand where he's coming from. For the first few hours I was just hitting the mobs on their heads with my feet firmly rooted in the ground and I've felt that the combat is a bit stale and lackluster. Then I realised how much stuff you can avoid by just running around in a smart way, and when you add in dodging and blocking, I actually believe this game has more of an action combat and delivers the action combat feel way better than Tera ever did.

I seem to be kinda stuck. I've been going through the Norn 40-50 area, which I'm now halfway done with, but I'm only level 42, and I've started to run into trouble fighting mobs 5-8 levels above me. Any advice? I feel like even though I harvest everything, and do almost all of the events that occur near me, I still don't get enough xp to keep up with my exploration pace.

I should say that one of my main motivations is getting my jewelcrafting to 400 asap, and with gold so damned expensive, I'd like to be somewhere with adequate gold nodes.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Found it:

The use of third party program of any kind is neither encouraged or supported by the Guild Wars Support Team. Based on the information provided, while the purpose behind use of the third party program seems to be rather benign, the method by which it accomplishes its goal may subject your account to action.
Guru Link

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yep. I was actually under a similar impression about the weapon skills - but hey, on the other hand, it's a game that's supposed to devour most of your time at the point when you already have all your skills anyways. Along with the downleveling system, it actually makes me feel like i'm playing quasi-endgame from the get-go.

But about the second part, yeah. I mean, I understand where he's coming from. For the first few hours I was just hitting the mobs on their heads with my feet firmly rooted in the ground and I've felt that the combat is a bit stale and lackluster. Then I realised how much stuff you can avoid by just running around in a smart way, and when you add in dodging and blocking, I actually believe this game has more of an action combat and delivers the action combat feel way better than Tera ever did.

I was going to comment, but I read this from above:

I don't think he's played the game.

Yup, pretty much sums it up.

I won't get my panties in a wad, though - this game is fantastic. While it irks me when people write an ill-informed review (especially one of such length), it's their reputability getting burned, not mine.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Then how does he nail pretty much all of GW2s good points and bad points so well?

Ah, yeah, thats right. The bad points. GW2 is perfect is every way so its impossible for it to have bad points.
This attitude is getting kinda exhausting.

If you combed through every thread about this game I don't think you'd find a single person claiming that it is perfect in any way or even "near-perfect," a single time.

I have the most posts in this thread, and I have no trouble stating the game has major flaws and issues that need to be corrected. It's also very, very good despite them.

The Forbes article captures neither of these things. It's written by someone who plainly doesn't like the genre, has misinterpreted some of the game design decisions rather than simply disagreeing with them, and who clearly hasn't put in enough time to get a feel for his character based on the complaints about the combat. Not only do I not feel like he adequately describes the bad points, especially commenting on the "unsatisfying" nature of weapon skills, but his points both for and against the game regarding story and combat are very obviously focused on the early game (I believe he said his character is level 12). It's a shaky proposition writing a review that states anything other than "this game isn't for me" that early on.

A2mdz5mCIAAPzo0.jpg:large

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You mean like reading a review you dont agree with because it mainly focuses on the negatives and then saying its "ill-informed" or "he didnt play the game".

Yeah, thats SO much more reasonable.
If we're doing this:
Meanwhile, the ability to barrel roll and use your shield specific defense skills ends up not actually working very well. There are times where you can roll out of the way of an oncoming spell, but defense is clunky and distracting.
Ill-informed.
I’m about level 12 at this point, having spent altogether too much time creating and deleting characters and watching opening cinematics and trying out early levels and skills with various characters.
Didn't play.

If you're simply trolling I tip my hat and bow.

edit: oh... my god
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

So after doing two runs of Cadecus' Manor...what the fuck were they thinking with Ascalonian Catacombs??

I've done four story runs in AC and one explorer run and it's still kicking my fucking head in at some spots.

It's like the same kid that showed up at Visceral on "Bring Your Kid to Work Day" and made the asteroid shooting level in Dead Space showed up to help design the Ascalonian Catacombs dungeon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So after doing two runs of Cadecus' Manor...what the fuck were they thinking with Ascalonian Catacombs??

I've done four story runs in AC and one explorer run and it's still kicking my fucking head in at some spots.

It's like the same kid that showed up at Visceral on "Bring Your Kid to Work Day" and made the asteroid shooting level in Dead Space showed up to help design the Ascalonian Catacombs dungeon.
Wait, what's your issue with it? I don't get the Dead Space reference, sorry.

inky

While expecting infinite skills to unlock is dumb and unrealistic, there are valid complaints raised in his piece. People here are just too damn sensitive at criticism spoken against this game.

The game lacks a bit of variety for a genre that is based on repetition. True, it's an almost impossible problem to solve for any game of this kind, and GW2 goes ways ahead of trying to alleviate its many issues, but some areas could definitely benefit from more diversity activity-wise. Areas might feel to bare if you have the bad luck of missing events out, or not being in the right place at the right time. Heck, yesterday when most of the DEs around Orr were bugged or already completed due to zergs, the game felt too bare, with little stuff to do other than running around skipping mobs or gathering nodes. I feel this is what other games, while grindy, do well. There is almost too much stuff to do per area progression-wise. GW2 definitely needs more incentives for people to be around, because not everyone is like me and just going to enjoy running around climbing mountains.

There's slow movement speed for sure (unless you are a thief) to the detriment of the game mostly, there's certain issues with the combat which might make it feel stiff too, sPvP definitely needs more modes and maps, and there is an absolute lack of direction for general stuff to do, pre and post 80. I mean, I've played the game for a while even before it launched, I've read wikis and watched videos, I know what I am working towards, but for a game that supposedly changes so many paradigms there is little in the ways easing you into the world. I know stuff will be added, but these things can be said now.

I should not have to learn how to craft efficiently from a youtube video, or scour some unknown sites on the internet to understand why I am still gaining Skill Points after I reach 80 and how the hell am I supposed to craft a legendary item. Heck, the game makes no indication that that is an option for me. I like the idea of discovering stuff in the Mystic Forge, but why not have a quest that takes me there and shows me what kind of things I can do with it. Etc, etc etc.

Seriously guys, it's nothing personal, but I feel some of you need to grow up. There are issues with the game and it's better for all of us if people speak up about them instead of showering ANET with endless praise.

part1:

part2:

part 2.5:

part3:

Have you ever played any MMOs?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This attitude is getting kinda exhausting.

If you combed through every thread about this game I don't think you'd find a single person claiming that it is perfect in any way or even "near-perfect," a single time.

I have the most posts in this thread, and I have no trouble stating the game has major flaws and issues that need to be corrected. It's also very, very good despite them.

The Forbes article captures neither of these things. It's written by someone who plainly doesn't like the genre, has misinterpreted some of the game design decisions rather than simply disagreeing with them, and who clearly hasn't put in enough time to get a feel for his character based on the complaints about the combat. Not only do I not feel like he adequately describes the bad points, especially commenting on the "unsatisfying" nature of weapon skills, but his points both for and against the game regarding story and combat are very obviously focused on the early game (I believe he said his character is level 12). It's a shaky proposition writing a review that states anything other than "this game isn't for me" that early on.

This is exactly the sort of response that the Forbes article needs.

Deadly

My game kept crashing when I was going up Greenbriar in GoM BG. Anyone else experiencing similar crashes? The sound died, got an eerie screek then boom.

Xiaoki

If we're doing this:

Ill-informed.

Didn't play.

If you're simply trolling I tip my hat and bow.

So, he's "ill informed" because he has a different opinion than you? The defense systems in GW2 are clunky.

You can roll to dodge incoming attacks but only at specific points. If you roll too early the move will track and hit you. Its really awesome when an enemy fires a gun and the bullet goes behind them and hits you. If you roll too late the move hits you in mid roll.

The problem with the roll defense system is that its a real time action combat mechanic shoe horned into a EQ/WoW style MMO.

The only thing thats exhausting is doing this dance every time a new MMO releases. Most recently it was the two step with the SW:TOR fanboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom