• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaelic

Banned
I'm lvl 80, but I'm happy to join as well. I won't be on until after 6pm Mountain Time, though.

Do not agree. The only truly difficult part of AC story is lovers, and you figure out how to beat them after a couple deaths.

If anything, CM is too easy.

a majority will disagree

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So how do you beat them?

There are boulders all over the room. Throwing those boulders at one lover interrupts them, and pushes them away from the other. Have two members rotate boulders to lock that one down, and burn down the other.

The ranger is the good one to constantly hit with boulders. The mesmer is nowhere near as dangerous on his own.

a majority will disagree

And the majority is wrong. Just because a majority agrees on something doesn't make them right.

While creating a Norn character, I didn't notice a difference between two physiques. I had to boost the graphic details before noticing that one option gave her muscles while the other didn't. :lol

Was doing a story quest with my Mesmer and kept dying, so all my armour got broken. I exited the instance in skivvies and got whistled at. =\

Does anyone else think that Norn body tattoos on a Guardian are mostly hidden due to the armour? Thinking about recreating her as an Elementalist or something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
iup78gB1niTK6.png

Outstanding.

Serious answer: 1-2 people throw boulders at one to keep him neutralized while the other members of the group whittle down the other one. Alternatively, I've heard you can use the door/switch mechanism to trap one of the lovers outside the room. Haven't tried that myself, but the boulder thing definitely does work.

I can't help but feel the boulder-spamming is an inelegant solution but...it's an inelegant boss fight so...

I've been in a group that tried the door thing. Seems exploitative and I don't want a ban.

There are boulders all over the room. Throwing those boulders at one lover interrupts them, and pushes them away from the other. Have the group rotate boulders to lock that one down, and burn down the other.

The ranger is the good one to constantly hit with boulders. The mesmer is nowhere near as dangerous on his own.

Yep...boulders it is. : /

I was hoping there was something better without resorting to the boulders. It just seems like a strange mechanic for that fight, both from a gameplay perspective and "lore wise".

Really? I'm going to stop these two ghosts by throwing heavy rocks at them?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been in a group that tried the door thing. Seems exploitative and I don't want a ban.
No way they would ban over that, just no way. I don't really think it's exploitative at all, it's just using what's available in the dungeon and lots of moments inside dungeons count on you to do exactly that, look around and creatively use your surroundings.

That said, while I've done it 3 times that way successfully, the last time I tried it the one we trapped just teleported back to the other after a few seconds :(

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

Yeah, I tried using it but I'm not sure if it worked and I'm definitely not going to use it now in case this is actionable by ANet. I hope they wouldn't ban over this since it is benign but I don't want to take the chance.

I hope ANet clarifies this officially because this doesn't affect gameplay at all.

Regardless, thanks for bringing this up so we're at least aware. I would rather be safe and not get my account in trouble due to something that just makes the game look better. I wouldn't dare jeopardize my standing with this game and its developer haha

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
And because YOU say something doesn't make them wrong.

Obviously. I'm not sure why you had to spend a post bringing that to my attention.

My opinion is that they're wrong. I'm pretty sure I don't have to keep putting "imo" in every post I make just so people realize that what I'm posting is my opinion.

Is AC story mode hard? Yeah, it is. Is it TOO hard? Not at all. If it was too hard, I wouldn't be able to complete it on a regular basis with friends. I'm not Dr. Video Games. If I can do AC story mode, anyone can.

pyrandes

My favorite of the 3 so far, it's a very pretty area. Really wanted to do Explorable mode after but it was mad bugged. :(
Yeah. Seeing that TA explore was bugged out was a bummer. Really nice area, tho, and one I dont mind running a lot (especially for some of that set gear).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It most likely is what they want you to do. The abilities under their names just screams to keep them separated, and using the doors is a reliable way to do as such.
Exactly my thoughts. I hope the teleport/leashing is a bug, it's worked for me a number of times.

BillyBats

Banned
So, he's "ill informed" because he has a different opinion than you? The defense systems in GW2 are clunky.

You can roll to dodge incoming attacks but only at specific points. If you roll too early the move will track and hit you. Its really awesome when an enemy fires a gun and the bullet goes behind them and hits you. If you roll too late the move hits you in mid roll.

The problem with the roll defense system is that its a real time action combat mechanic shoe horned into a EQ/WoW style MMO.

The only thing thats exhausting is doing this dance every time a new MMO releases. Most recently it was the two step with the SW:TOR fanboys.

The TOR fanboys? What all 2 of them? I never saw a game get shit on more than that one for illogical reasons and the same is happening here.

What it comes down to is tons of people love the shit out of this game and don't think things are "clunky" and "shoe horned" and if they DO feel that way about certain aspects of the game, it is nowhere near enough of a deterrent to get their panties in a bunch. So what happens is a certain few individuals come into the thread, pick nits, and rile up the fans. Yay. Congrats, the turd in the punchbowl achievement unlocked.

Yes, this happens in every new mmo thread. But when a game does 10 things great and 2 things subpar, many would rather focus on the good than the bad....to be the punch and not the turd so to speak. TOR has fantastic story presentation, voice acting, music, sound design etc. But people came in and said that didn't matter, it was too similar to WoW. I prefer to focus on the good in games. But as we all know, hatred is the easiest way to assert your identity.

The TOR fanboys? What all 2 of them? I never saw a game get shit on more than that one for illogical reasons and the same is happening here.

What it comes down to is tons of people love the shit out of this game and don't think things are "clunky" and "shoe horned" and if they DO feel that way about certain aspects of the game, it is nowhere near enough of a deterrent to get their panties in a bunch. So what happens is a certain few individuals come into the thread, pick nits, and rile up the fans. Yay. Congrats, the turd in the punchbowl achievement unlocked.

Yes, this happens in every new mmo thread. But when a game does 10 things great and 2 things subpar, many would rather focus on the good than the bad....to be the punch and not the turd so to speak. TOR has fantastic story presentation, voice acting, music, sound design etc. But people came in and said that didn't matter, it was too similar to WoW. I prefer to focus on the good in games. But as we all know, hatred is the easiest way to assert your identity.

I agree this game has some flaws like many of the high level DE being bugged. I also feel they need to make dungeons work better for the no trinity system, and I hate the absurd amount of fine crafting materials needed to level. But overall I am having as much fun with this as I did with WoW when it first launched, which I havn't been able to say for an MMO for a while.

Stuart444

You know the Boulders thing in the lovers fight isn't actually needed right? What is needed is Control moves such as cripple/slowing one down, knock back, knock down and other moves that can help keep one away from the other (if you don't have any knock backs then just keep one in the one place with knock downs and slow downs skills while the others lure the one they are trying to kill to the other side of the room)

Boulders is just useful for those without/haven't brought sufficient Control skills. Or if you have a thing for boulders ;)

Azzurri

Well, I don't even think of WoW when I think about this kind of design, first off. I think that implementation was both too simple and far too boring. I'm more thinking about MUDs, pre-EverQuest MMOs, and EVE as the jumping off points. The reason GW2 interests me as a platform for taking ideas for open world PvP games, and not anything from WoW, is stuff like level scaling based on the area you're in, dynamic events that react to player behavior, and how they use servers instead of racially divided factions like most WoW-likes handle it. Those were designed with either extremely careful PVP in mind, or straight up PVE, but as far as modern MMOs go, it's the first time I've seen a themepark MMO with features that could be tweaked in a different direction to incentivize PVP content. WoW doesn't really have that at all, neither do most MMOs. It would be a very structured version of open world PVP where players control the outcome of events, and the game directs them, but they wouldn't have full control to just gank anywhere like, say, Ultima Online or EVE.

I think somewhere in applying reactive event design to PVP, you could find the keys to unlocking a PVP MMO that doesn't go as far as EVE does, but still retains some of the excitement you get from the danger, complexity, and player politics inherent to PVP games (and that last one, specifically, is what's missing in WvW).

I guess the summary is, in solving some of the issues with themepark MMOs, I think this game has put mainstream MMOs in a better place to reconsider the sandbox PVP MMO in a new, accessible light.

Agreed. I like PvE, but adding the PvP dimension to within the PvE makes it more fun. Not everyone likes it and that's perfectly fine, but the excitement that PvP "Can" bring by mixed it in with PvE makes it fun. I know sPvP and WvW are in game, but it's like whole separate game.

Howdy gaffers

I have a simple question about an armor piece I'm trying to identify. The one on the far right looks very pretty for my Elementalist. Anybody know the name? Previewed every PvP armor in the vault and it wasn't there. Thanks.

So I just started playing spvp in the game with my thief ... feels like I'm playing Shaco from League of Legends and I love it. Holy shit a lot of fun juking people, like a slippery barracuda.

Deitus

Howdy gaffers

I have a simple question about an armor piece I'm trying to identify. The one on the far right looks very pretty for my Elementalist. Anybody know the name? Previewed every PvP armor in the vault and it wasn't there. Thanks.

I can't really look it up right now, but I'm pretty sure that's the Dungeon Armor from Twilight Arbor, only without the head piece shown.

Xiaoki

Howdy gaffers

Its the Twilight Arbor dungeon set(without the shoulders displayed).

Howdy gaffers

So I just started playing spvp in the game with my thief ... feels like I'm playing Shaco from League of Legends and I love it. Holy shit a lot of fun juking people, like a slippery barracuda.

Looks like the TA Nightmare set to me

Kerrinck

How do you guys sell rare items in the auction house? Usually it suggests me to match the lowest priced seller, which is 1 copper above the npc paying price. Is that right or is there a better way?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How do you guys sell rare items in the auction house? Usually it suggests me to match the lowest priced seller, which is 1 copper above the npc paying price. Is that right or is there a better way?
That means no one is really buying them. You can list it for whatever you want, but it's showing you that people have already listed it for basically merchant price.

Yay thanks ... dammit, wanted to like a non-grindy set. I'll wear the armor and look like a pretty flower in a year from now in the rate I'm going.

KePoW

Banned

That is correct. There are lots of items on the AH, even rares.

oktarb

How come all classes don't have a swap weapon set option. Seems like a real oversight. Something that just adds fun to all classes. They worked so hard to create all these weapon combos and then limit the classes that can swap weapons.

Xiaoki

How come all classes don't have a swap weapon set option. Seems like a real oversight. Something that just adds fun to all classes. They worked so hard to create all these weapon combos and then limit the classes that can swap weapons.

Elemetalists cant weapon swap because they swap between the 4 elemental magic families.

TheYanger

ouch. What mechanics would you describe as "actively spiteful"?

If anything that descriptor applies better to my first encounter with Shotgunface in CM before figuring out how to trip him up. BAM "what the" BAM "I can't" BAM "can't dodge" BAM "hey I'm down!" BAM dead

The Lovers fight is the most easily cited: Those mechanics flat out don't work in a game with no effective aggro.

But in general I mean all of the trash too, any single pull of a melee mob is ridiculously easy because you just kite him around with aggro swaps and snares, while any fight with ranged mobs relies on the rng of not getting hit twice in a row for most classes. There's only so much you can do to NOT get hit in this game, projectiles home in and unless you roll, aegis, or blind the mob or something, it comes down to 'I hope it shoots at someone else for the next attack instead' way more often than it should. Every fight feels like a CC chain from an arena match in wow, except that you have limited CC at best. The damage is just ridiculous compared to what you can mitigate, and more importantly while the average damage taken by the group might be lower than what the average mitigation (blinds, aegises, rolls, etc) the group is capable of putting out, if it hits the same person 5 times in a row you may just RNG explode because of it. Sloppy ass stuff there. The last boss can just target someone twice in a row with his instant nuke and destroy them in this manner too. It's a joke of a fight because there's a wP right near it, but it feels cheap and stupid.

In a game without classes or roles, everyone should be able to take care of themselves, instead they can't - no single class can keep themselves alive on that fight except for a very conservative player of a guardian or something, the coordination required to try and blind/roll/whatever chain mobs that you can't predict who they're going to hit is essentially impossible. This is mitigated GREATLY in other dungeons by having more telegraphed attack animations - this is huge in allowing people to fairly avoid damage, and by making things NOT tend to one shot you when they're not avoidable easily.

I know I'm not alone in this easier, a lot of GW2 fanatic type fanboys (they exist in every mmo) like to pretend 'oh you're just bad go back to wow lol' but the reality is, there have been PLENTY of difficult dungeons and scenarios in wow and other mmos that didn't feel unfair or frustrating. I rarely see veteran MMO players say anything about the dungeons but 'Oh, those are awful, just go wvw man'... It's a bit sad, I WANT to like the dungeons, I think Destiny's Edge are cool, I like running dungeons in every game. Before GW went into beta I was worried about the mechanics though with no class roles - I didn't feel you could get the strategic depth required to make it rewarding, and while I now think it's entirely possible thanks to some of the encounters, I'd say at least 60% of all the dungeons in the game are just dumb mechanically, and AC in particular is just flat out bad.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

It's EXTREMELY intentional- definitely not an oversight.

At high level, Engineer and Ele have waaaay more to handle than the other classes, even without weapon-swapping.
The Lovers fight is the most easily cited: Those mechanics flat out don't work in a game with no effective aggro.

But in general I mean all of the trash too, any single pull of a melee mob is ridiculously easy because you just kite him around with aggro swaps and snares, while any fight with ranged mobs relies on the rng of not getting hit twice in a row for most classes. There's only so much you can do to NOT get hit in this game, projectiles home in and unless you roll, aegis, or blind the mob or something, it comes down to 'I hope it shoots at someone else for the next attack instead' way more often than it should. Every fight feels like a CC chain from an arena match in wow, except that you have limited CC at best. The damage is just ridiculous compared to what you can mitigate, and more importantly while the average damage taken by the group might be lower than what the average mitigation (blinds, aegises, rolls, etc) the group is capable of putting out, if it hits the same person 5 times in a row you may just RNG explode because of it. Sloppy ass stuff there. The last boss can just target someone twice in a row with his instant nuke and destroy them in this manner too. It's a joke of a fight because there's a wP right near it, but it feels cheap and stupid.

In a game without classes or roles, everyone should be able to take care of themselves, instead they can't - no single class can keep themselves alive on that fight except for a very conservative player of a guardian or something, the coordination required to try and blind/roll/whatever chain mobs that you can't predict who they're going to hit is essentially impossible. This is mitigated GREATLY in other dungeons by having more telegraphed attack animations - this is huge in allowing people to fairly avoid damage, and by making things NOT tend to one shot you when they're not avoidable easily.
I gotta say, regardless of AC's difficulty, I don't agree with this at all. The Lovers fight is about keeping them separated. If you don't want to do it with boulders because you are anti-boulder, one or two of your team can use something with knockdown, cripple, and keep it focused on Ralena while the rest of the team pulls Vassar. Remember, you can spec in utility skills just for this fight if you need to.

Secondly, I have to say, the trash mobs in AC Story are sort of a joke after going through explorable a couple of times. I never have to "hope something shoots at someone else for the next attack"- I can stealth, break line of sight, dodge, or use a shadowstep move to either lose aggro or get far enough away to recharge some stuff. I don't know how your class would handle that, but that's how I do. And yeah, I'll still die sometimes, but a vast majority of the time it was because I screwed up (sometimes traps are still a bit cheesy, but during combat anyway), for being too aggressive or missing a timing or something.

But yeah, the AoE during Adelbern is ridiculous to die to and keep running right back from the waypoint. You can actually interrupt him every time, but it's tricky. Surviving that fight without dying once is a personal challenge of mine.

ShaneB

At high level, Engineer and Ele have waaaay more to handle than the other classes, even without weapon-swapping.

Yup. An Engineer with every utility skill as a kit is swapping between 20-25 skills.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Which one was bugged in CS? the one in the ship? because my friend completed CS yesterday...

The skill point closest to the entrance of ML, Caer Shadowfain. There was a bugged event there for days and the skill point NPC was missing.

Napophis

Didn't have trouble with the lovers when i did it. We basically had split dps and would use line of sight to keep them apart, seemed to work for us.

Won

Went from my Engineer back to Guardian. I think I really hate how Charr animation look and feel in this game, because despite liking the concepts behind the Engineer class I just don't enjoy it as much as my Guardian or my thief.

Elementist and Engineers basically just use different buttons to do so and end up with more to swap because of that.

Didn't have trouble with the lovers when i did it. We basically had split dps and would use line of sight to keep them apart, seemed to work for us.

Don't think it's that bad, it's just very pug unfriendly. If you play with friends or guildies it shouldn't be that tough. Most people are just used to easy dungeons in MMOs early on to ease players in and to be super pug friendly.

I know I'm going to get killed here, but I would love some server's that had "faction" based open world PvP.

Hopefully the Kurzicks and Luxons rise again in the inevitable Cantha expansion and that can bring an excuse to get some open PvP into at least a good chunk of the world.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't think it's that bad, it's just very pug unfriendly. If you play with friends or guildies it shouldn't be that tough. Most people are just used to easy dungeons in MMOs early on to ease players in and to be super pug friendly.
This is accurate. The lovers just wreck PUGs like a meat grinder.

TheYanger

I gotta say, regardless of AC's difficulty, I don't agree with this at all. The Lovers fight is about keeping them separated. If you don't want to do it with boulders because you are anti-boulder, one or two of your team can use something with knockdown, cripple, and keep it focused on Ralena while the rest of the team pulls Vassar. Remember, you can spec in utility skills just for this fight if you need to.

Secondly, I have to say, the trash mobs in AC Story are sort of a joke after going through explorable a couple of times. I never have to "hope something shoots at someone else for the next attack"- I can stealth, break line of sight, dodge, or use a shadowstep move to either lose aggro or get far enough away to recharge some stuff. I don't know how your class would handle that, but that's how I do. And yeah, I'll still die sometimes, but a vast majority of the time it was because I screwed up (sometimes traps are still a bit cheesy, but during combat anyway), for being too aggressive or missing a timing or something.

But yeah, the AoE during Adelbern is ridiculous to die to and keep running right back from the waypoint. You can actually interrupt him every time, but it's tricky. Surviving that fight without dying once is a personal challenge of mine.

The boulder 'tactic' is idiotic - I'm not AGAINST it, I just think it's something they threw in because they knew their fight was borked. Also, you can't just sit there and spam immobilize or something on one and have everyone else run away, because you can't control which person the other mob aggroes on - they can just as easily both stay on the person who immobilizes. It's just RNG fuckery basically. (Not saying it won't work, saying it's RNG whether it will or won't, along with many things in this dungeon due to your inability to control mob aggro).

Also, I'm not talking about Adelbern's AE, he has a single target nuke that hits for like ALL of your life, but he seems to rarely use it. Sometimes though you just get KO'd instantly from accross the room by it.

You can disagree all you want, that's fine, I'm just saying how myself and apparantly MANY other players see it. The dungeon is fucked.

You don't need to have a tank or healer to make a dungeon work, but you do need to have some degree of ability to parse what's going to happen so you can react to it, and AC doesn't give that to the players. You can't react after the fact to most things, and you can't predict ahead of time exactly what will happen to who. Roll those dice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom