• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Hopefully the Kurzicks and Luxons rise again in the inevitable Cantha expansion and that can bring an excuse to get some open PvP into at least a good chunk of the world.

Yeah, and I think it would be possible to implement an optional faction system that gave players the ability to optionally participate in open world pvp. Almost like Star Wars Galaxies' covert, overt system.

arimanius

Is there a way to make someone have to respawn after killing them in WvW or can they just lay on the ground for hours spying and waiting for someone to come along and rez them?

Hate asking again, but does anyone know the question above?

Also for the fellow newbie Mesmer GAF here are 2 instructional videos I found off the official forums which I found very useful. They are long.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eZ0NNd7b60&feature=youtu.be

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-B3mkM7dqM&feature=youtu.be

Vossler

Is Cantha the chinese guys? Can't remember which was which from GW1.

Yes, Cantha is the Asian-inspired continent. One of my favorite things from GW1 was the Canthan New Year....hope it comes back in some form. Mini Celestials are awesome!

Also, hope they have something planned for a week from now, Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Morokh

Just played the 'Battle of claw Island' Personal quest that's supposed to be an epic big battle/ invasion quest ....

it was the most boring and frustrating thing I ever played in my entire gaming life !!

I'm just too pissed-off to continue playing tonight !

KePoW

Banned
Yes, Cantha is the Asian-inspired continent. One of my favorite things from GW1 was the Canthan New Year....hope it comes back in some form. Mini Celestials are awesome!

Also, hope they have something planned for a week from now, Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Ok which expansion was the black dudes? I actually liked that one better because I think that had new classes...the dervish and paragon?

Just watched some videos on youtube of the various classes and elementalist looks pretty sick (and complicated).

Once I start playing I think it'll be between that and guardian, for me.

Reikon

I've been playing this game for a bit the last few weeks and I've really been trying to like it, but it's not working for me.

There is so much focus on completing stuff and 100%ing stuff that I feel no freedom to actually go out and explore. Each time the map will tell me the best vista-point, each loading screen tells me how much area completion I have. Daily quests updates constantly ping up.
Characters all look the same to me (why be able to change the corner of my eyelid when no-one will ever notice?)
Also everything is so easy to do and everything is so "right in front of you", I never have the idea I actually mean something in this world. The whole thing feels like a totally overdesigned themepark: It's fun, but if you go there 2 times a year, it already starts to get old.

Have you ever played an MMORPG? It seems like the genre is not for you...

I just don't think MMORPGS are for you.

Have you ever played any MMOs?

But not all MMOs are like that. I think you guys mean typical post-WoW MMOs. Older MMOs focused more on exploring and didn't just have a list of things to do like they usually do nowadays. Though very few of them actually made you feel like you had an impact on the world since that's hard to do with so many people going through the world.

zlatko

Banned
Got to about level 32 Guardian 2 nights ago, but didn't play last night as I made time for Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

Will be doing the first level 30 dungeon when I do play again so I can get a feel for the group PvE content which is what I have the most interest in for the game/MMOs in general.

That means no one is really buying them. You can list it for whatever you want, but it's showing you that people have already listed it for basically merchant price.

Also worth noting that the trading post takes a ~15% cut from your sales, so selling for 1c above vendor price will net you less (sometimes much less) than just selling to the vendor.

I unfortunately learned this the hard way. :p

datamage

But not all MMOs are like that. I think you guys mean typical post-WoW MMOs. Older MMOs focused more on exploring and didn't just have a list of things to do like they usually do nowadays. Though very few of them actually made you feel like you had an impact on the world since that's hard to do with so many people going through the world.

Oh I know. I wasted a good chunk of time playing EQ1 back in the day. Nothing has ever re-created that feeling for me. The point was that most current MMORPGs are similar.

Oh I miss those type of MMOs too, where you could just explore and felt like any mob could kill you. But nowadays pretty much all MMOs are being modeled after WoW.

Ferrio

Banned
Also for the love of god for your own sanity turn off "Screen Shake". Didn't even realize there was an option for it, the game is so much more enjoyable.

windz

Oh I know. I wasted a good chunk of time playing EQ1 back in the day. Nothing has ever re-created that feeling for me. The point was that most current MMORPGs are similar.

Yeah nothing really compared to EQ in terms of "that" feeling. The enjoyment of exploration and fear of the world/mobs around you, fear of dying, are all but a distant memory now.

J-Rzez

So I'm rolling Thief with daggers -> shortbow for WvW (i need the range at times there obviously). My question is, what Sigils are you guys using in the weapons/gear right now? I can't seem to make up my mind. I use "bleed on crit" and "bloodlust" so far, but are there better recommended?

And yes, we tore up WvW so far today.

Also, does anyone know the huntsman recipe for the exotic-whatever bow by chance?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Also for the love of god for your own sanity turn off "Screen Shake". Didn't even realize there was an option for it, the game is so much more enjoyable.

Wish there was an option for "Zoom uncontrollably and lock camera in random places while being close to walls or ceilings" though.

Ferrio

Banned
So I'm rolling Thief with daggers -> shortbow for WvW (i need the range at times there obviously). My question is, what Sigils are you guys using in the weapons/gear right now? I can't seem to make up my mind. I use "bleed on crit" and "bloodlust" so far, but are there better recommended?

And yes, we tore up WvW so far today.

Also, does anyone know the huntsman recipe for the exotic-whatever bow by chance?

For my thief i'm using a sigil of Hydromancy, and on my other just a gem. Eventually i'll get a +5% damage or something, but I still like the hydromancy a lot.

B.K.

How does the game run at the minimum system requirements? I want to try the game and I think my computer can meet the minimum requirements.

Violet_0

Banned
hit level 80 with my Engineer alt (my Mesmer main is still level 58 oO)

jP108XSNOgAOJ_e.jpg

now on to the important matters - what should I do with this?

jbwaJeZif06IPf_e.jpg

I have no idea

scosher

Yeah nothing really compared to EQ in terms of "that" feeling. The enjoyment of exploration and fear of the world/mobs around you, fear of dying, are all but a distant memory now.

Not an mmo but dark souls came close. EQ was terrible, but there was a certain magic to it that even WoW could never encapsulate. I still have vivid memories of corpse runs in blackfurrow depths or whatever that infamous newbie gnoll dungeon was called. No other MMO has come close to that sense of dread when you felt stuck deep inside a cave. A lot of that I think just stems from death having a severe consequence, which is probably why Dark Souls kind of captures that "feeling"

Arken2121

After playing the Guardian for at least 100 hours, I've come to the conclusion that there's only two types of builds you can run to be effective.

Meditation build: Great for 1v1, excellent self-heals and condition removal, terrible cc mitigation(no stability) and terrible for chasing down targets.

Shout build: Great for groups, excellent self-heals(if teammates are nearby), No condition removal, pretty good cc mitigation(Stand your ground), terrible condition removal and you can't chase down targets.

Over all, the Guardian is excellent for holding points but is at its worst if he/she's fighting a target that's kiting.(no cripples)

Also, after playing around with the tomes after the nerf, it's nearly impossible to get any big heals/damage off. It's almost as if they tomes are useless just like renewed focus.

Newbie realization, toughness does nothing for conditions. If anyone else has input or something i'm missing/wrong about, let me know.

Ken

Shout build: Great for groups, excellent self-heals(if teammates are nearby), No condition removal, pretty good cc mitigation(Stand your ground), terrible condition removal and you can't chase down targets.

Could always use Greatsword [2][3] combo for condition removal.

That sucks 8(. Still, necros are the toughest class in the game by far.(excellent for holding points)

Yeah, but you can't kill anything except AFK players or players who don't have any idea about what they are doing.

Actually even then it's pretty difficult.

I think it's kind of hilarious that they were released in this state.

There's no way that no one at ArenaNet knows about this.

Arken2121

Yeah, but you can't kill anything except AFK players or players who don't have any idea about what they are doing.

Actually even then it's pretty difficult.

I think it's kind of hilarious that they were released in this state.

There's no way that no one at ArenaNet knows about this.

It's weird because I had a tougher time against necros in the bwe's.

Arken2121

Whats worse is you can't run a condition build for a Guardian. there's no room for it. Burning duration is too short and it's not like you can keep it going for long periods without blowing all your cds.

Ken

Whats worse is you can't run a condition build for a Guardian. there's no room for it. Burning duration is too short and it's not like you can keep it going for long periods without blowing all your cds.

Sword and Focus. Trait for VoJ reset on kill and blind. Equip utility skill that blinds and burns. Burn forever.

It works well enough in PvE; just don't bring it into SE. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom