• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0rk

Is there a good youtube video that breaks down the classes as they develop? Not the official ones as they don't always give an idea of how they play practically.

Torraz

Did a bit of wvwvw with GAF today. That was amazing fun!

I also really like the lack of a subscription fee more and more. No stress while exploring.

Anyone else think some events do not scale properly? It sometimes seems hard to "tag" monsters before they die, again reintroducing a bit of that "competitiveness" from other MMOs that I am not missing at all!

P.s

How do I get to Orr? It appears to be an island, from looking at the world map.

LkPr

Does anyone know if the monthly survival achievement has been fixed yet? I noticed that last night my accumulated XP finally moved from 26k (which it had been for 2 weeks) to over 50k however I then had to log out for the night. I know that before if you changed maps or did anything the total would bug and you wouldn't get any more XP accumulating... so when I go on tonight will I still gain XP towards the total so i can get my achievement?!

OceanBlue

Yeah, if you ask for something to do you're going to get 10 different people telling you they need help with 10 different things.

I haven't done WvWvW that much, but in my experience you generally only have a few people trying get others to do 1 or 2 things, and then there are a few guilds or groups that stick to themselves. 10 sounds like way too many to get anything done properly.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How do I get to Orr? It appears to be an island, from looking at the world map.

Go to Sparkfly Fen (two zones south of Lion's Arch). The zone to the south east of that is a 60-70 zone. Get there, and you'll find a route out the south west of there that leads to some islands. There will be some swimming involved. Without showing you, that's the best way I can describe it...I'm sure someone else can give you exact waypoints and such.

Concept17

Just went into WvWvW for the first time. Walked around aimlessly for about 10 minutes, didn't see anyone and quit. Amazing.

Comments like these make me realize how few people played older MMOs like DAoC, AC, etc..

WoW's instanced everything/battlegrounds sucked the life out of pvp imo. Finding people along the way and working with randoms in pvp is often more fun than just hoping in with the same group of players over and over.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There's an option that lets your character continue attacking them and hitting even in those situations...at least that's what I think it is. Something "promote;" it's in the options.

Promote Skill Target — if you do not have a specific target selected, foes stepping into areas-of-effect created by your skills become your new target.

When this is on I notice that my character hits stuff even though it's behind them.

Okay, I'll try that one.

Torraz

Go to Sparkfly Fen (two zones south of Lion's Arch). The zone to the south east of that is a 60-70 zone. Get there, and you'll find a route out the south west of there that leads to some islands. There will be some swimming involved. Without showing you, that's the best way I can describe it...I'm sure someone else can give you exact waypoints and such.

Thanks. From viewing the world map that was about the route I expected! Since I ran into an invisible wall in the water at another location I wanted to make sure I wasn't going into the wrong direction (like missing a portal or something like that)!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks. From viewing the world map that was about the route I expected! Since I ran into an invisible wall in the water at another location I wanted to make sure I wasn't going into the wrong direction (like missing a portal or something like that)!

Yeah, my first trip there was guided by a friend. I had no idea there were islands you had to hop through - I figured I could get there from Sparkfly Fen (which was NOT the case!). Best of luck down there, haha. Find a group to tag along with. And put some condition removal skills on your bar.

Dunlop

Did Story mode Cm and TA with some guildies

I'm just fascinated with how unbalanced these dungeons are. I'm really not sure what they were going for but they missed it by a mile. They really needed to be more testing in the BWE's.

Ketch

I've got a real life friend that I would like to invite tto the guild. Were always cruizing around voice chatting over steam, but last night we happened to be in the same battleground as a bunch of other GAFers, and I couldn't help but think how much more fun it would have been if we could have all been chatting together.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Did Story mode Cm and TA with some guildies

I'm just fascinated with how unbalanced these dungeons are. I'm really not sure what they were going for but they missed it by a mile. They really needed to be more testing in the BWE's.

As already discussed, most of the cries for IMBA revolve around not fully understanding how dungeons work in GW2. We did CM story the other night with only minimal trouble. Very very careful pulls, positioning, planning, and smart (and team oriented) players made it go very smooth.

Bringing skills that help the group (condition removal, protections, etc) AS WELL AS damage dealing skills make the difference. Unlike most traditional MMOs, you're severely gimped with 4 vs 5 players up, so rez'ing is crazy important.

Kimaka

Oh, that was just a shit fest. I basically died immediately screwing up the order right there, lol. After that, I just started heaving any boulder I could find at the chick

It was my first time trying without trapping them in the corridor... I tried to come up with an order to throw one volley of boulders, but it all went to hell
KuGsj.gif
But we improvised and kept them down, and made it through. I died twice to them and one of them was completely my fault.
I'm sure I screwed up the order too. It was a mess, lol. I ended up trying to use spectral grasp to keep him away from her when I could.

I haven't read any books but I did feel the writing for the personal quests was really mediocre at best. Also has anyone ever done a personal story quest that didn't involve fighting enemies? It's like a sad joke that every quest has some terrible surprise and enemies appear :-(

Though it's still a fucking good game :)
Not too many for me. I've had to do some interesting things in some quests such as a stealth and mimic minigame, but eventually had to kill something. The ones that involved absolutely no killing of enemies just required me to talk to certain people. I felt some quests could have been better without having to kill things. Some of it feels unnecessary.

Torraz

As already discussed, most of the cries for IMBA revolve around not fully understanding how dungeons work in GW2. We did CM story the other night with only minimal trouble. Very very careful pulls, positioning, planning, and smart (and team oriented) players made it go very smooth.

Bringing skills that help the group (condition removal, protections, etc) AS WELL AS damage dealing skills make the difference. Unlike most traditional MMOs, you're severely gimped with 4 vs 5 players up, so rez'ing is crazy important.

Isn't CM story considered to be nearly the easiest one? I don't recall any problems during the run I was in, especially not any careful pulling etc.

Boss Doggie

Nope, even with promote skill lock it doesn't work. Like I had a centaur run past me, I tried to use Static Shot, but nothing happened and the skill got a cool down.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Oh, that was just a shit fest. I basically died immediately screwing up the order right there, lol. After that, I just started heaving any boulder I could find at the chick

I use a rifle, grenades, FT, and Elixir B

Grenades is pure damage and tons of AoE damage with some nice control and a useful poison field. Best kit we have

FT I use mostly for control. I like the pushback, blind, and the field can be useful as well. 1 and 2 abilities kinda suck i think. The FT toolkit ability is pretty sweet as well. Nice damage boost

I use rifle mostly for control on fights i want to avoid melee range. If not, ill use it for damage - mostly playing of my grenades or other people's fields - jump shot for the leap and the rest for projectiles

Elixir B is simply a nice Buff

Grenades are better than bombs because you can chuck em and they arent on a timer. I think turrets kinda suck since they die real easily and are kinda boring.
I kind of feel like the damage from Flamethrower is awful. I love the idea of the Flamethrower and tried to incorporate it into my build but at level 18 I was getting Silver medal in DE's I was at from the start of. I feel like other kits just do the job better, including crowd control. Which is a shame because I do like being able to run around burning stuff.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Isn't CM story considered to be nearly the easiest one? I don't recall any problems during the run I was in, especially not any careful pulling etc.

I think it's up there, yeah. There were still a few tricky pulls (for our group at least). Making sure to pull and take out certain enemies over the standard zerg tactic most games condone.

Dunlop

Outside of the last boss in TA (and f-ing ridiculous necromancers in TA that had AOE effects taking up the entire corridor) we didn't really have any trouble (I respecced for condition removal/heals). It is more the crazy high low difficulty curve.

You could get face planted hard some mobs and then practically fall asleep while killing a boss. The killed the trinity but the new experience is not better in my opinion

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Outside of the last boss in TA (and f-ing ridiculous necromancers in TA that had AOE effects taking up the entire corridor) we didn't really have any trouble (I respecced for condition removal/heals). It is more the crazy high low difficulty curve.

You could get face planted hard some mobs and then practically fall asleep while killing a boss. The killed the trinity but the new experience is not better in my opinion

Ah - yeah, you're right. There are some pulls that are laughable and others that are fucking nuts. I 100% agree with you there. I haven't done TA, but if the Necros are anything like the ones from AC, I can only imagine how stupid that is

Correct. Using CM as an example is very poor when there are much bigger issues with, say, the first dungeon, Ascalonian Catacombs.

If you can honestly defend that junk in any way, I would be very surprised.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm sure I screwed up the order too. It was a mess, lol. I ended up trying to use spectral grasp to keep him away from her when I could..
Oh man, I can't believe I didn't think to equip Scorpion Wire before running into that fight. It'll be a whole new ballgame next time.

Violet_0

Banned
The drinking game had some hilarious dialogues and moments, really put a smile on my face.

by far the best story mission

Personally, i tried the dual pistol(or shield) super support elixir etc engineer and it just simply took too long to kill things. I think youll be more helpful with the massive damage increase with the rifle grenadier build while still retaining what the engineer is good at - control

I saw a Engineer recently who just stood there and dropped grenades on the ground until the mobs were dead. As an (lvl 80) Engineer myself, I can attest that it's remarkably efficient and feels weird and will probably be fixed in some future patch (the 1 skill will probably be changed to auto-target, with a substantial damage nerf). The grenade kit seems to be kinda broken at the moment, honestly.

My pistol/condition damage build is definitely slower at killing things, especially against single-targets. The pistol piercing major trait at the of the crit% trait line was a huge upgrade for my dps, probably mandatory for pistol engineers. But yeah, my experience so far is that condition damage builds have it harder (in PvE at least), especially against boss mobs where your own conditions are constantly overwritten by those of other players.

Healing turret is okay, but it has just too long of a CD to get those conditions off

the only problem with the Healing turret is that the condition cleansing ability animation takes forever to start. It's probably our best healing ability though (20s cd, good initial heal and a slow but nice AoE regen, destroy it immediately after using it to reset the cd and get an extra AoE heal from healing field + blast finisher).

Ricker

The WvWvW maps are really big, so you have to find where the important points are and where everyone is going. I spent 30 minutes my first time and still had no idea what was going on. It's probably easier with someone to explain it to you though.

The game is great and all but it has(/or doesn't)one of the worst turorials ever...

Finally got to choose an Order,made it to 30 with my Mesmer,just starting to grasp how to play him without dying so much...my Illusions are actually starting to keep aggro which helps...but man that level 26 my Story instance called Sabotage was crazy hard,almost think it's glitched,even with one more guy helping me we had to use the checkpoint feature...

Bust Nak

He's right, though there are a few attacks in the game that can be dodged without using actual dodges. Majority of attacks of range variety are auto hitting/tracking. Moving out of hit radius in melee works in most memos also. Some classes have more defensive skills than others such as the feign escape or such, but his point is pretty spot on.
While I haven't managed to avoid bullets but arrows are fairly easy to avoid just by side stepping. I can consistently avoid the arrows of the centaurs in kessex hills and Queensdale. Pretty much the same deal with GW1, run one way then switch direction as soon as the arrow is in flight. I've yet to see an arrow home in although there are prenty of time that I still took damage even when the arrow has clearly missed on my screen. Are you guys sure this tracking projectile wasn't just a lag thing?

Hari Seldon

Finally reluctantly bought this game last night. Played for a couple hours.

My impressions:

+ This engine is fucking amazing, my god the Old Republic losers should just stop making games forever if you compare the utter piece of shit Hero Engine to this. Had like a million people on the screen doing effects and jumping around and shit and no problem. This is a god damn 2012 MMO engine.

+ Everything in the game design seems super thought out. The send to stash option for the crafting shit is like a fantastic idea. The waypoints and the quests you just wonder into are great.

+ Not sure I fully understand the upgrade system, but I like that the hotbar is limited rather than having a shit parade of buttons like in WoW.

- Combat with my Thief seems pretty spammy. Not as crisp as WoW combat. I'm just hitting buttons randomly and winning right now.

- I hate that I have no real stealth, just a 3 sec heal stealth. Kind of defeats the point of being a thief.

- To whover the fuck wrote the story for this game: STOP WRITING FOREVER, GO BACK TO SERVING COFFEE AT STARBUCKS. I just skip the cutscenes as soon as I realized that the story is like eating a giant shit sandwich. Almost makes the fucking piece of shit wow story seem not complete garbage. Almost.

- They don't explain much stuff in this game at all. I have gear that I can apparently upgrade but have no idea how to upgrade. Game seems overwhelming even to an MMO vet like myself.

Overall I'm pretty neutral on this game so far. Perhaps it will get better as I put more time into it.

Varna

- Combat with my Thief seems pretty spammy. Not as crisp as WoW combat. I'm just hitting buttons randomly and winning right now.

- I hate that I have no real stealth, just a 3 sec heal stealth. Kind of defeats the point of being a thief.

- To whover the fuck wrote the story for this game: STOP WRITING FOREVER, GO BACK TO SERVING COFFEE AT STARBUCKS. I just skip the cutscenes as soon as I realized that the story is like eating a giant shit sandwich. Almost makes the fucking piece of shit wow story seem not complete garbage. Almost.

You will have plenty of going into stealth options eventually. Don't even worry about that one.

Are you playing Human by chance? Well, I doubt it matters much. The personal stories seem like crap all around. At the very least they could have made them short... but the dialogue is so long and grating sometimes.

SorchaR

Got myself completely stuck on choosing a class now. Yet again, my alt-rolling habit got the better of me :(

I would prefer rolling a caster, cloth armor is pretty and I like being at a range. Preferably one with pets. But the whole emo/vampire/icky minions necro thing doesn't appeal, the mesmer (got up to level 24) is far too finicky and I haven't heard much positive about the ele either.

I like the ranger well enough, got to level 26 with a Sylvari. It's survivable, short bow and axe/torch give plenty of different options. The whole tree hugging hippy thing isn't clicking though.
I've never liked thieves/rogues in anything, don't see the appeal here either.
I like the idea of the engineer, but I don't really understand the class. It seems complicated, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing as one. I love the flavor of the class though.

My warrior at level 30 is my highest character. She's very sturdy and does great damage. Both class and race/story line (Norn) are as dull as dishwater though. Nice for mindless play, but not really main material.
I haven't really tried the Guardian yet, bit worried it will be as boring as the warrior. I like the flavor of the class better though. I like playing noble characters, goodie two shoes, that sort of thing. I'm never to keen on mellee only, but I get some spells with staff and scepter as well right?

TL;DR:
So only my mesmer, Warrior and Ranger have gotten anywhere so far and neither is really clicking. Either I like the flavor of a class but not the playstyle, or I like the playstyle but not the flavor. Since I'm getting pretty sick of redoing the starter areas (I've been rerolling over and over the last few days) is it worth it for me to look at some of the other classes again and give them a bit more of a chance, or should I just grit my teeth and stick with my warrior or ranger?

Shanlei91

Some of the personal stories are good and the others are garbage. The problem is that unless you read before hand, choosing an awful story path may mean a lot of cutscene skipping.

Luckily, the main plot is interesting. Pretty much anything involving Destiny's Edge is interesting and it's clear that is where they dedicated their best writers and voice acting.

Hari Seldon

You will have plenty of going into stealth options eventually. Don't even worry about that one.

Are you playing Human by chance? Well, I doubt it matters much. The personal stories seem like crap all around. At the very least they could have made them short... but the dialogue is so long and grating sometimes.

Yeah Human noble.

Should have mentioned that as a plus: I made my thief look exactly like the one french victoria secret model. Great character creation haha.

Also, I'm kind of regretting picking the hood option in character creation. I had no idea wtf any of those options meant as it didn't explain it. Do I have to wear a hood forever now?

The dialogue is laughably bad sometimes. There is some interesting story angles and the quests are sometimes fun, but so much bad acting and dialogue. They also can't seem to really peg down what the races are supposed to sound like, you have Charr who all have this gravel like voice but then suddenly you have one pop out with a totally out of place voice that feels like they just didn't care and slapped em on. Same with asura and other races where they kinda had a speech style planned out but didn't have VA recording time or something?

While I haven't managed to avoid bullets but arrows are fairly easy to avoid just by side stepping. I can consistently avoid the arrows of the centaurs in kessex hills and Queensdale. Pretty much the same deal with GW1, run one way then switch direction as soon as the arrow is in flight. I've yet to see an arrow home in although there are prenty of time that I still took damage even when the arrow has clearly missed on my screen. Are you guys sure this tracking projectile wasn't just a lag thing?

The slow firing arrow attacks can be avoided, various NPC have some of these which are often mixed with melee swapping units, but various archer npc units that do regular speed arrows do track and auto hit no matter your moving or not unless you do an actual dodge.

Yeah Human noble.

Should have mentioned that as a plus: I made my thief look exactly like the one french victoria secret model. Great character creation haha.

Also, I'm kind of regretting picking the hood option in character creation. I had no idea wtf any of those options meant as it didn't explain it. Do I have to wear a hood forever now?

You can take the hood off. There's also an option to hide the helm. In your character screen, where you equip the hood, there's a box which you can uncheck to hide the helm you wear.

Varna

Some of the personal stories are good and the others are garbage. The problem is that unless you read before hand, choosing an awful story path may mean a lot of cutscene skipping.

Luckily, the main plot is interesting. Pretty much anything involving Destiny's Edge is interesting and it's clear that is where they dedicated their best writers and voice acting.

It's all generic tripe.

The story is done much better out in the field. Those NPCs with telescope icons give you nice overview of what's going on in the area and by listening to NPCs and sticking around for chain events you get a really nice sense of the world. Not to mention the idea of who your character is doesn't get butchered because, never mind what you choose at character creations, he is just some generic hero dude.

Yeah Human noble.

No. You can hide or use another piece of headgear. Don't lose it though, don't think you can get another if you ever want that look back (you can transmute the starter piece right?)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Got myself completely stuck on choosing a class now. Yet again, my alt-rolling habit got the better of me :(

I would prefer rolling a caster, cloth armor is pretty and I like being at a range. Preferably one with pets. But the whole emo/vampire/icky minions necro thing doesn't appeal, the mesmer (got up to level 24) is far too finicky and I haven't heard much positive about the ele either.

I like the ranger well enough, got to level 26 with a Sylvari. It's survivable, short bow and axe/torch give plenty of different options. The whole tree hugging hippy thing isn't clicking though.
I've never liked thieves/rogues in anything, don't see the appeal here either.
I like the idea of the engineer, but I don't really understand the class. It seems complicated, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing as one. I love the flavor of the class though.

My warrior at level 30 is my highest character. She's very sturdy and does great damage. Both class and race/story line (Norn) are as dull as dishwater though. Nice for mindless play, but not really main material.
I haven't really tried the Guardian yet, bit worried it will be as boring as the warrior. I like the flavor of the class better though. I like playing noble characters, goodie two shoes, that sort of thing. I'm never to keen on mellee only, but I get some spells with staff and scepter as well right?

TL;DR:
So only my mesmer, Warrior and Ranger have gotten anywhere so far and neither is really clicking. Either I like the flavor of a class but not the playstyle, or I like the playstyle but not the flavor. Since I'm getting pretty sick of redoing the starter areas (I've been rerolling over and over the last few days) is it worth it for me to look at some of the other classes again and give them a bit more of a chance, or should I just grit my teeth and stick with my warrior or ranger?

Guardian is very melee focused. I run with a scepter/torch on switch for when I need ranged, though (and it does the job). You can build a Guardian as heavy damage, heavy support/tanky, or a nice mix of both. Very open class that you can cater heavily to your liking.

My friend who plays Ele LOVES it - definitely an interesting class that I intend to try at some point. It's slightly more complex than other classes because of the way attunements work, though.

Necro is...Don't play a Necro right now. My 80 Necro is just idling until they fix the class. It's not terrible, but we simply don't have the damage output to make us as viable as other classes.

I gather that Engi is a blast to play - my brother and at least one of my friends play one. My brother rants and raves about it. Turrets seem like a very interesting concept - you may want to research this one a bit as it might be something you'll enjoy.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't just bite the bullet and push through. If you aren't enjoying a class, it won't be worth it at 80. Your time will be better spent trying out the various classes to find one that sticks. The best way to try them, though, is to run sPvP as you get access to all the skills and trait points from the get go.

Fishious

Yeah, my first trip there was guided by a friend. I had no idea there were islands you had to hop through - I figured I could get there from Sparkfly Fen (which was NOT the case!). Best of luck down there, haha. Find a group to tag along with. And put some condition removal skills on your bar.

I'm a little late on this, but it is totally possible to get to Orr through Sparkfly Fen. I'm not entirely sure which route you're suggesting either, but for the sake of simplicity here's an easy step by step route. Start in Sparkfly Fen and swim south through the large body of water that runs north/south through the entire zone. When you've gone just about as far south as you can, head east to the Splintered Coast Waypoint around where the dragon spawns. If you can't find it ask someone in map chat to link it. Continue east through a cave to reach the other side of the mountains. Once in the open, continue east following the southern mountains. You will eventually hit Brackwater Waypoint and from here the zone portal is just south. This will put you in the Straits of Devastation which is the launching point into Orr.

Boss Doggie

So which is your charr sparring partner?

I picked Reeva because she's cool and fun, but Dinky is pretty hilarious.

Shanlei91

It's all generic tripe.

The story is done much better out in the field. Those NPCs with telescope icons give you nice overview of what's going on in the area and by listening to NPCs and sticking around for chain events you get a really nice sense of the world. Not to mention the idea of who your character is doesn't get butchered because, never mind what you choose at character creations, he is just some generic hero dude.
I don't know, Asura's "Infinity Ball" choice was interesting if only because
you fight yourself from an alternate dimension where you took over the world

And The Norn's "I got drunk and blacked out" has some pretty silly (in a good way) dialogue. And I have a feeling that the next quest in the chain that I need to do for it will be a hoot assuming that what the NPC was hinting does happen.

Boss Doggie

Also the charr choices are interesting too.

Anyway, clearing up maps...

Oh god why are human-related heart quests terrible and bland? They are all the same shit - stop centaurs and remove traps bullshit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom