• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

The story in the books and GW2 is so sub-par it makes my head hurt. The world building in this franchise is dope, too, which makes the storyline being so tasteless that much harder to take.

etiolate

Banned
it's good to be Asura

rolled a (new and improved) ranger, my third Asura character. Going to level her up fast with all the crafting material I gathered.

yes, and a DE in Brisbane Wilds that restarts like every 2 minutes. And one in Snowden Drifts.

my best races ranking: Skritt = Quagan = Kodan = Asura > Charr > rest

I think my favorite heart was on the Kodan ice ship in the last snow zone where you have to prove your wisdom by answering riddles. We need much more of those in the expansions.

"Life is a trial - Koda the judge, and Kodan the jury."

e: oh hey they fixed On Red Alert

i9OLbwvXDbJ1I.png

mik83kuu

Banned
The story in the books and GW2 is so sub-par it makes my head hurt. The world building in this franchise is dope, too, which makes the storyline being so tasteless that much harder to take.

I haven't read any books but I did feel the writing for the personal quests was really mediocre at best. Also has anyone ever done a personal story quest that didn't involve fighting enemies? It's like a sad joke that every quest has some terrible surprise and enemies appear :-(

Though it's still a fucking good game :)

Morokh

I need help with my engineer. I just came across the grenade kit, and realize there is a flamethrower, healing, and bomb kit. How in the heck do I decide which to use?! Plus my turrets!?!?!!?

Kits are the 'weapon swapping' mechanism of the engineer, it makes up for the fact that we are limited to guns/rifles.

You chosse what you want to use with a combination of your personal preference and with the traits you want to invest in, there certainly are optimal builds, but basically, play what you like and don't stretch yourself too thin, and try to find some things that work together.

It really is overwhelming at first and I still have a lot of trouble finding what works good (lvl 55 now) but here are a few little things :

Grenades are GODLIKE underwater because they become targeted, just remember to Ctrl+right click the first skill to activate auto attack EVERY time you use the kit (I wish the game would somehow keep it in mind ...)

Flamethrower / Grenades is very good for group events where you need a lot of AOE (flamethrower is better if you don't like area targeting), Elixir gun can be an option too but it's a little bit behind.

I really like to use the Elixir gun myself, I use it with a rifle even if pistols might be better for stacking conditions, but for crowd control the options of the rifle + Elixir gun work quite well together.

The Tool kit is your melee option, combine it with ram and rocket boots and you have something going (but you might want to stockpile some toughness and additional health)

Turrets can be used as a primary thing if you go all the way, or just to spice things up with another kit, Net Turret if you lack some crowd control, Healing for additional survivability and so on.

Med Kit is Obviously your 'support' kit, as the Crate in the elite skills seems to be, but i've never really used any of them yet.

If someone else has more detailed information or some builds to share i'm very interested too. (Especially around the elixir gun :p)

Dreavus

Well, not only do the dragon fights destroy my computer (nearly slideshow fps) they are also stupidly easy. I wish they scaled more, or at least attacked a bit more. With 100 people fighting these things, we can afford to go down a few times, honest!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think I messed up our boulder order up in that fight and then things FUBARed, lol. Hawkian goes through all that trouble setting up the order and the first 10 seconds of the fight I'm thinking, did Kimaka throw hers yet? Crap, I can't tell! I better throw mi-, then I got killed.
It was my first time trying without trapping them in the corridor... I tried to come up with an order to throw one volley of boulders, but it all went to hell
KuGsj.gif
But we improvised and kept them down, and made it through. I died twice to them and one of them was completely my fault.

Dreavus

I haven't read any books but I did feel the writing for the personal quests was really mediocre at best. Also has anyone ever done a personal story quest that didn't involve fighting enemies? It's like a sad joke that every quest has some terrible surprise and enemies appear :-(

There was this SUPER disappointing early story mission in my human-nobility-lost sister storyline. The lead up was awesome and the potential was ALL THERE, yet they totally blew it.

Minor spoilers for early human personal story:
Basically, you have to collect evidence against this a nobleman accused of treason, and spend a whole non-combat (sweet) mission talking to people at a party and getting the goods on this guy. Then, you move to trail with you as prosecutor. I was pretty excited - took a couple minutes getting my facts straight and speaking to my witnesses a couple times to try and remember what my angle was going to be. Well, did they take the opportunity to build a Phoenix Wright style trial with witness testimonies and cross examinations? Nah, may as well just have the bad guy invoke the ancient Krytan right of "trial by combat" and make it into any other combat mission. At least I was allowed to choose my fight partner. :/

SO MUCH potential for that little arc. :(

etiolate

Banned

I've had stealth missions, sabotage missions, a drinking game, and jumping puzzle challenges. The variety seems to come in once you pick an Order.

I'm a fan of the one where you stage a protest to get into prison, then bust out of prison with an ally in tow.

Wunder

Thanks for the tips.

I loved my Druid in WoW, being able to be a tank if need be, or dps or heals. Engineer seems the same way to me, which I love. Just seems like I have so many useful abilities to use lol

I've recently had some trouble with my Engineer having read that Cond Damage is 'bad' for large fights and since Pistol is mainly Cond damage and Rifle is about control, I was at odds with how to build a dps/levelling Engineer while remaining useful in dungeons.

I've ended up at the same place as a lot of people and also at the same place as http://www.noxxic.com/gw2/engineer/damage/pve/core-build-and-traits who puts out pretty decent guides on popular games. Basically Elixir-based Pistol/Pistol with a focus on Cond Damage and Elixirs. You are essentially throwing away your kits and turrets for a self-reliant engineer.

Your traits have great synergy with your utility skills since all of them + your healing are elixirs and your pistol skills benefit from them as well. It's been going well so far, I managed to buy 2 rare pistols for about 3s each and they've been a good damage boost. I do hope that Engineer gets a small tweak/buff to Rifle and maybe how turrets work though. I feel like they have a lot of potential build diversity but there are some skills and traits that are must haves compared to the "Oh, that's cool but I want to kill stuff faster" condition that some skills/traits have.

KuroNeeko

I've recently had some trouble with my Engineer having read that Cond Damage is 'bad' for large fights and since Pistol is mainly Cond damage and Rifle is about control, I was at odds with how to build a dps/levelling Engineer while remaining useful in dungeons.

Engineer has been a real blast to play lately. I've pretty much made her (and my thief) my new mains, dropping Mesmer. I feel that the two classes are on both sides of the spectrum - the engineer has the tools to adapt to any situation which make it a fun class. The thief on the other hand has very little tools, but it's fun trying to adapt to any situation - milking everything you have to escape by the skin of your teeth.

Biggest problem I've seem with Engineer is that there are so many options, it's hard to base your traits around a given build. Elixir, and perhaps Flamethrower, are perhaps the most focused and everything else just seems kind of meh. The only thing that looks absolutely necessary is the 5-point trait that drops bombs when you dodge. So good.

I've been running Healing Turret, Rifle Turret, and the purple, boon-boosting elixir / Mine. Main weapon is Rifle is you just snare, blow back with Rifle 4, kite, and then snare again while overcharging your Rifle Turret. It's a lot of fun but I can't wait to get my hands on the Tool Kit.

Seems like synergy is tough to achieve though when the Engineer is such a flexible, swiss-army knife class and synergy really only comes out as you narrow your build's focus.

Wunder

Engineer has been a real blast to play lately. I've pretty much made her (and my thief) my new mains, dropping Mesmer. I feel that the two classes are on both sides of the spectrum - the engineer has the tools to adapt to any situation which make it a fun class. The thief on the other hand has very little tools, but it's fun trying to adapt to any situation - milking everything you have to escape by the skin of your teeth.

Biggest problem I've seem with Engineer is that there are so many options, it's hard to base your traits around a given build. Elixir, and perhaps Flamethrower, are perhaps the most focused and everything else just seems kind of meh. The only thing that looks absolutely necessary is the 5-point trait that drops bombs when you dodge. So good.

I've been running Healing Turret, Rifle Turret, and the purple, boon-boosting elixir / Mine. Main weapon is Rifle is you just snare, blow back with Rifle 4, kite, and then snare again while overcharging your Rifle Turret. It's a lot of fun but I can't wait to get my hands on the Tool Kit.

Seems like synergy is tough to achieve though when the Engineer is such a flexible, swiss-army knife class and synergy really only comes out as you narrow your build's focus.

I agree on your points about the Engineer being very flexible. I think the problem arises, for some people, where there are some clear synergies available but a lot of others aren't as optimized or as well designed as others. Take a turret build for example - I used to run Healing Turret, Rifle Turret, FT at low levels and it was pretty ok but I always hated the fact that if I forgot to pick up my turret before, blowing it up would mean I'd wait the entire cooldown. Just the fact that I can't really reduce my turret cds was a bit of a bummer for me and the turret AI isn't the smartest thing in the world too. Right now I'm enjoying the pistol/elixir build because I was on rifle/grenade for a while. I haven't really played any other class (My second main is probably my Ranger, who is 20) but it just feels like the Engineer doesn't have more than one solid core build that you can fall back on and the rest just feel gimmicky or not strong enough to run with efficiency, if that makes sense.

leng jai

Think I've found got a button configuration I'm not unco with:

Weapon swap: default
Weapon abilities: 1-5
Utilities: Z, X, C
Elite: manual mouse click
Dodge: side mouse button 1
Heal: side mouse button 2

Randy

I've had stealth missions, sabotage missions, a drinking game, and jumping puzzle challenges. The variety seems to come in once you pick an Order.

I'm a fan of the one where you stage a protest to get into prison, then bust out of prison with an ally in tow.

The drinking game had some hilarious dialogues and moments, really put a smile on my face.

Jobacca

Neo Member
Thanks everyone who offered suggestions for my engineer. What about traits?

I love my turrets and using the Elixir B, but always love to buff and go healing more when I'm in a group and lending support. Using dual pistol right now. Put a point into Firearms for pistol/flamethrower. Wish I could put points into Firearms, Alchemy, Inventions and Tools. Always have such a hard time with builds :/

Wunder

I love my turrets and using the Elixir B, but always love to buff and go healing more when I'm in a group and lending support. Using dual pistol right now. Put a point into Firearms for pistol/flamethrower. Wish I could put points into Firearms, Alchemy, Inventions and Tools. Always have such a hard time with builds :/

Hmm, traits can be tough sometimes, what level are you? I would recommend Alchemy and Firearms if you're going Pistol/Pistol but I haven't experimented much with Tools and Inventions traits are pretty bad so you don't have too many options.

Ken

You get two from story missions. One around the 30's and another towards 80 IIRC. You can also get it from guild equipment in the form of a backpack which costs like 2 gold

How does the level 80 story one compare to the guild backpack?

Where do you even go to get the backpack? In GAFO currently.

Ken

Dear Anet, please make it easier to tell if I'm missing or hitting when I'm attacking structures and can't scroll up to see if it's taking damage from me or not.

Forkball

Someone from Japan tried to hack my account. If I get an authentication e-mail, does that mean they know my password or was it just an attempt?

Mikeside

I think my main problem with this game is actually that I'm not enjoying playing an Engineer.

Gonna switch to either a warrior or an elementalist and see how I do :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If there's one thing that bothers me, it's that you lose attacking whenever your target goes behind you. Really annoying when facing sons of svanir and their whirly blade.

Ken

If there's one thing that bothers me, it's that you lose attacking whenever your target goes behind you. Really annoying when facing sons of svanir and their whirly blade.

There's an option that lets your character continue attacking them and hitting even in those situations...at least that's what I think it is. Something "promote;" it's in the options.

Promote Skill Target — if you do not have a specific target selected, foes stepping into areas-of-effect created by your skills become your new target.

When this is on I notice that my character hits stuff even though it's behind them.

Piecake

I put 30 into power, 20 into precision, and 20 into toolkits and focus mostly on damage traits. If something is real useful for the fight, ill take that (like rifle blind). What I think the engineer excels at is control, not buffs or healing

And since you already have a shit ton of contol with rifle, grenade, and FT (and none of hte traits help you out in that regard), i went straight damage and just make sure to blind, interupt, knock back when necessary

It defiinitely is pretty glass cannony, so I rock a bunch of Knight and Valkyrie gear to get Toguhness and Vit

Personally, i tried the dual pistol(or shield) super support elixir etc engineer and it just simply took too long to kill things. I think youll be more helpful with the massive damage increase with the rifle grenadier build while still retaining what the engineer is good at - control

The only thing i dont like was that Cleaning formula owned - kinda sucks not having it :(

Healing turret is okay, but it has just too long of a CD to get those conditions off

Ugh, I can't 100% this game with my main! Every time I see an uncovered zone I think of all the new content better suited for an alt (story and progression-wise) and I just TP back to LA or Orr. But I also want that little star thingie. Crap.

I was trying to 100% everything but I started to become insanely over leveled for any zone that I entered. I ended up skipping a bunch of zones and decided I would save all the other starting zones and areas that I skipped for my alts. I think once my alts have been through most of these zones, I'll go back and 100% them on my main.

*except the puzzle in the underwater lab in Bloodtide Coast, it was driving me mad. I still don't fully understand how that was supposed to work.

That puzzle was a major pain in the ass. I looked up the code sequence but it gives you a new starting code every time it resets and you have a time limit to get it right. The worst part is that there was a large group of other players in the area that kept screwing it up when I did it. It reminded me of this quest in Secret World where you have to activate these white ravens in a specific order but anyone in the same area can activate one out of order and screw the whole thing up for everyone. Really bad design.

We had to constantly keep telling people not to touch anything. Took about 1.5-2 hours but we finally completed it.

How do I find the equippable item type that says it "goes under armor" on the TP?

The only one I ever received was from a personal story quest in the 30s. I'm almost 60 now and haven't seen another one yet. I noticed it also has a visibility toggle but it doesn't seem to show up anywhere on my character. Maybe this is something they are still working on?

Finally got a good sized GAF group on mumble to play wvwvw tonight.

and. it. owned.

Want to WvWvW tonight? The only thing I need for my monthly achievement are the WvWvW kills so I've been looking to hop in with some people.

Piecake

I was trying to 100% everything but I started to become insanely over leveled for any zone that I entered. I ended up skipping a bunch of zones and decided I would save all the other starting zones and areas that I skipped for my alts. I think once my alts have been through most of these zones, I'll go back and 100% them on my main.

Yea, im going to do the same. Though ill do the other 70-80 areas on my main first. Want those rewards and mats and itll be a while before an alt gets up there

Went from 25 -> 31 on my Guardian last night. I think I'm effectively retiring my Necro for anything outside of WvWvW kills. I may take her in with a staff + marks and just get some AoE hits in to claim my Monthly kills. :|

They need to add a weapon to that class that is actually fun to use, or at least some fun abilities. Minions, boon-condition swaps, and conditon damage traits are just boring

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Went from 25 -> 31 on my Guardian last night. I think I'm effectively retiring my Necro for anything outside of WvWvW kills. I may take her in with a staff + marks and just get some AoE hits in to claim my Monthly kills. :|

Piecake

GDD3d.png

Holy shit. Never realized you could do that. Really annoying seeing a bunch of lowbie shit in that crafting menu. Definitely going to do this

Won

The only one I ever received was from a personal story quest in the 30s. I'm almost 60 now and haven't seen another one yet. I noticed it also has a visibility toggle but it doesn't seem to show up anywhere on my character. Maybe this is something they are still working on?

Backpacks and capes usually go in there, but since capes aren't in at the moment you only have the backpacks that are visible in that slot.
The story thing is probably indeed just a "placeholder" reward.

Mikeside

What about it aren't you enjoying?

Not really enjoying the guns, am either dying because I'm going up against too hard enemies or I'm getting bored going against too easy ones - haven't found a middle ground anywhere.

I think a new character with more more interesting skills/weaps will help

datamage

When you say lose attacking, what is happening? If they go behind you, you actually need to turn around to hit them.. sorry for being obvious, but perhaps I don't understand your comment.

GDD3d.png

Holy shit. Never realized you could do that. Really annoying seeing a bunch of lowbie shit in that crafting menu. Definitely going to do this

Holy fuck!?

Have they fixed it so you don't need to take anything out of the bank for that random assembly screen yet? Haven't played in a couple of days.

KingKong

I see what people meant about Personal Storylines now, doing the level 64 and 66 quests was so annoying

level 64 is killing dozens and dozens of enemies which was super easy and is just a grind and 64 made me travel all over 2 zones (which was at least easy because I already found the waypoints)

Won

When you say lose attacking, what is happening? If they go behind you, you actually need to turn around to hit them.. sorry for being obvious, but perhaps I don't understand your comment.

Probably losing auto-attacking. Auto-attacking seems to turn itself of for all kind of random reasons and it's pretty annoying.

Just went into WvWvW for the first time. Walked around aimlessly for about 10 minutes, didn't see anyone and quit. Amazing.

You need to walk to the crossed swords symbols on the map if you want to see action.

OceanBlue

Just went into WvWvW for the first time. Walked around aimlessly for about 10 minutes, didn't see anyone and quit. Amazing.

The WvWvW maps are really big, so you have to find where the important points are and where everyone is going. I spent 30 minutes my first time and still had no idea what was going on. It's probably easier with someone to explain it to you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom