• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep reading on various GW forums that condition damage is the only stat that applies to Engineer turrets, but no one can confirm it. I've been playing a turret heavy engineer build, but focusing on power and precision and using a rifle while putting points into Firearms and Inventions. If condition damage does apply to turrets, I guess I should switch up my stats and weapons, as I've read that using pistols is better for condition heavy builds. Can any Engineers here comment on the relation between turrets and condition damage?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I am thinking about buying this game and have a couple of questions.

How are server populations? Are there long q times US Servers?

Servers don't have queuing. If the server is full, you get pushed to an overflow server, where you can still play the game and do your quests.

just an WvW update, HOD vs JQ vs SBI, we are in 2nd but HOD is no longer in an obscene lead , looks like we are improving!

I was up until 3:30 this morning bitch slapping JQ and Henge with some other gaffers. Hopefully it was worth it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am thinking about buying this game and have a couple of questions.

How are server populations? Are there long q times US Servers?
I don't know if you're referring to wvw specifically or not, but for the regular PvE world, whenever you would normally queue up, you go to an overflow server insttead, where you can still play and progress until the main server is ready, at which point you can hop back with little delay.

edit: god damnit trin.

etiolate

Banned
I could tell that the human story was crap in beta. I enjoyed some of the Sylvari story in beta, mostly for Caithe., The Asuran story is a lot of fun. It's full of fantasy goofery, but there's some good, humorous lines. Reminds me a bit of Skies of Arcadia. More light hearted, more fun.

Stuart444

I was doing a lot of WvW yesterday for my Monthly (I'm on Henge) and I'm surprised I didn't see any Gaffers around :p kept an eye out for the GAF tag lol.

Still, my first experience with WvW was fun enough that I expect I'll do more WvWing soon :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If I liked GW1 (before expansions), would I like GW2?

mind you that GW1 was the only MMO that I ever played
Not necessarily. It's very, very mechanically different. It's a real MMO, with a persistent world and massive quantities of players at some points. The combat is much more active and position-based, and you can jump.

I loved GW and I love GW2, but besides the world/lore, they have little in common (which I generally applaud; they tried to do something legitimately new).

edit: WvW for an hour last night was outstanding fun with our group. First time I ever didn't have to queue since launch.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I was doing a lot of WvW yesterday for my Monthly (I'm on Henge) and I'm surprised I didn't see any Gaffers around :p kept an eye out for the GAF tag lol.

Still, my first experience with WvW was fun enough that I expect I'll do more WvWing soon :)

Yeah, WvW is an absolute blast. Once I get my dungeon gear, I'll be doing a lot more of it.

oktarb

If I liked GW1 (before expansions), would I like GW2?

mind you that GW1 was the only MMO that I ever played

I would add to what Hawkian said by saying by saying you may not like it BECAUSE of GW1 but what drew you too it will likely only be amplified in GW2. The took the spirit, made it fresh and stronger.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would add to what Hawkian said by saying by saying you may not like it BECAUSE of GW1 but what drew you too it will likely only be amplified in GW2. The took the spirit, made it fresh and stronger.
Definitely agree.

Mechanically it's a world of difference. As a spiritual seuqel it gives me much the same feeling.

Though there are a few things I do miss, I find it to be a much stronger game overall.

Is there any way to use standard AA instead of FXAA, or sharpen the FXAA?
I recommend trying the SweetFX injector.

edit: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1787409/SweetFX_settings.zip

Instructions in there.

note: full disclosure, some might argue that you are to some degree risking a ban using any third-party AA solution.

RealMeat

Banned

How are the queue times on Henge? The only way I can console myself from constantly losing to you guys is by assuming your queue times are way worse.

ZenVolta

Im having way to much fun with my thief Sylvari.

Iv been messing about with the crafting system and it seems pretty cool but I find myself buying gear and weapons from the TP since its far cheaper than working up to making my own(unless I farm all the Leather). Im just going to assume that this will even out as I get a higher crafting level.

Also what happens to an item when you click "deposit collectibles" while in your invintory screen?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Im having way to much fun with my thief Sylvari.

Iv been messing about with the crafting system and it seems pretty cool but I find myself buying gear and weapons from the TP since its far cheaper than working up to making my own(unless I farm all the Leather). Im just going to assume that this will even out as I get a higher crafting level.

Also what happens to an item when you click "deposit collectibles" while in your invintory screen?
goes to your bank playa, you can access it right from any crafting station.

Stuart444

How are the queue times on Henge? The only way I can console myself from constantly losing to you guys is by assuming your queue times are way worse.

An hour last night for Eternal Battlegrounds but I hear some are as bad as 3 hours. My theory is that it prioritizes party members over single people in the queue.

Anyway, just found the Claw of Jormag event (while I try to find out how to get into the Fireheart Rise area where CoF is), it's got epic music but it's also bugged :/

in my bug report, I put at the end "ps. epic music" >_> seriously, surprised me when I entered the area

Stuart444

So I finally got to the Citadel of Flame and I see lots of people in map chat saying "lf CoF explorable speed runs" and "lf CoF experienced explorable speed runs"

After only a few weeks, we get this, I shouldn't be surprised but still..

Artanisix

So I finally got to the Citadel of Flame and I see lots of people in map chat saying "lf CoF explorable speed runs" and "lf CoF experienced explorable speed runs"

After only a few weeks, we get this, I shouldn't be surprised but still..

It's so stupid easy to run that it hurts. I don't even want CoF armor anymore because everyone is going to be wearing it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm really curious as to the solution to this. Way up the Flame token costs? Buff the dungeon path? Make that particular path reward fewer tokens?

Hmmm.

massoluk

Banned
Got some flabbergasting moment, was playing my level 53 human engineer, decided to hunt down some skill points and visit the dungeon in Ascalon. I fought Ascalon people ghosts, I was fighting for them in Guild Wars 1, that's a little weird, but fine I guess. Then when I started going to the dungeon, it's like someone throwing a bucket of water at me. The asshole Charr won't stop talking shit about the massacre human. Not even a words of sympathy... Jesus H. Christ, my noble engineer shouldn't be standing still while the foul mouth trash go on and on about how they genocide my ancestors. >=[

Me: "Oh my noble king, I fought for you and...", Asshole Charr "Your people are dead, your kingdoms is gone, lolol. GET OUT" THE FUCK

Stuart444

I don't think you actually do (though I can't be sure), but you definitely need to complete it to lead one.

Yeah, I know I accidentally brought in a few people into CM Explore without having completed story mode (them I mean, they hadn't completed it), I was tired and clicked explorable mode by accident. Was surprised that the leader could bring in people to explorable mode if they hadn't completed story mode.

Artanisix

I'm really curious as to the solution to this. Way up the Flame token costs? Buff the dungeon path? Make that particular path reward fewer tokens?

Hmmm.

They need to make that path comparable to the other two. The other two paths are pretty tough, but the second path is beyond trivial.

Slair

Just started playing this, only real gripe so far is i dont know how to deal with infinitely respawning mobs. Go in cave, kill some bandits, kill some more bandits, first bandits killed respawn, second bandits killed respawn. It's a war of attrition and with no respite from the respawns, i get shit on.

thetrin

Hey, if there are speed runs, I have no issue. Flame Legion is the armor I need.

Making it harder would be better than reducing tokens if it has to change.

I support that- although, for future tweaks, new explorable paths, etc, I wouldn't be opposed to different runs through dungeons having different levels of token rewards- the faster/easier ones giving less of course.

In fact, if they had a difficulty for each path, and offered more tokens for higher difficulty paths, I'd love that.

Just started playing this, only real gripe so far is i dont know how to deal with infinitely respawning mobs. Go in cave, kill some bandits, kill some more bandits, first bandits killed respawn, second bandits killed respawn. It's a war of attrition and with no respite from the respawns, i get shit on.

Are you in Beggar's Burrow? That place is notorious for its spawns.

blackflag

damn huntsman is hard to level....or i'm doing it wrong. Requires sooo many expensive 1.5 silver small claws and scales and stuff.

Cooking was easy.

Kingbrave

Got some flabbergasting moment, was playing my level 53 human engineer, decided to hunt down some skill points and visit the dungeon in Ascalon. I fought Ascalon people ghosts, I was fighting for them in Guild Wars 1, that's a little weird, but fine I guess. Then when I started going to the dungeon, it's like someone throwing a bucket of water at me. The asshole Charr won't stop talking shit about the massacre human. Not even a words of sympathy... Jesus H. Christ, my noble engineer shouldn't be standing still while the foul mouth trash go on and on about how they genocide my ancestors. >=[

Me: "Oh my noble king, I fought for you and...", Asshole Charr "Your people are dead, your kingdoms is gone, lolol. GET OUT" THE FUCK

Take our land again!

Are you in Beggar's Burrow? That place is notorious for its spawns.
Same reason why some people say it's a good area to farm jute scraps. Beggar's Burrow appears to be designed for groups and not intended for soloing through by players just starting out. It's also located in an area where waves of travelers don't pass through. There's even a treasure chest.

damn huntsman is hard to level....or i'm doing it wrong. Requires sooo many expensive 1.5 silver small claws and scales and stuff.
I love making TP money off those fine mats XD

Certain areas have really odd respawn rates

thetrin

Same reason why some people say it's a good area to farm jute scraps. Beggar's Burrow appears to be designed for groups and not intended for soloing through by players just starting out. It's also located in an area where waves of travelers don't pass through. There's even a treasure chest.

Yep. That's where I farmed jute scraps in the first day of the game.

Why yes it was, right first time. Me and some other guy were doing pretty good, then suddenly 20 bandits. :(

It's an isolated issue. That isn't the case across the board. There are a couple other places with insane spawn rates, and it can get a bit grueling, but it's not everywhere in the game.

I'm now on Stormbuff Isle, level 16 though. Gaf guild still full?

Ploid.1056

If you're on this evening, send a PM to Ashodin Venteal or Hawkian The Blade and they'll be able to squeeze you into one of the guilds.

Yep. That's where I farmed jute scraps in the first day of the game.

It's an isolated issue. That isn't the case elsewhere.
I dunno, that ore-rich Ettin cave next to the group of Oakhearts in Queensdale is in contention. We were so happy mining away we didn't notice 8 Ettins breathing on our backs. A random group of 4 of us didn't make it out of there alive.

Edit: ah, saw your edit.

Yuripaw

Banned
Is that the iPad version?

No more iPad version for me anymore! ^_^ I bought a new video card today. nvidia GTX 560 ti, which is much better than what I had before, and this game looks beautiful for me now :)

gw008-1.jpg

gw009-1.jpg

gw011-1.jpg

Lulubop

there's another path in AC (Ghosteater) that Achtius showed me, which is also rather farmable.

All explore modes are pretty fast once you get it down, and that's for good reason. It's still An insane grind to get a set you, especially if you include weapons. Even CoF. There's two parts that I imagine make cof faster than most, fix those before you start to give less tokens. Theyre Already a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom