• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but im one of the weirdos who simply want to have a crafting profession. I actually find it kinda fun.

Probably going to blow all of my money getting up to 400, but whatevs

I try to level crafting with only mats I find myself. It's been a complete struggle with armorsmithing :O

At least I have some money for repairs and leveled gears.

arimanius

For all you people bitching about us mesmers:

4KOms.jpg

fixed

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's to be expected. The average person probably wouldn't feel comfortable playing as a creature they don't physically identify with.

(it's partly the same reason why a movie like Last Samurai had a white man in the leading role. I don't want to get into a race discussion, but identifying with a character on screen physically is huge for most human beings)

I personally don't understand why you would pick boring humans (something that actually exists in real life) when you have your pick of 4 other fantastical races that you've never had the opportunity to play as ever.

Besides, humans in the world of Guild Wars are giant assholes, and Logan is a coward.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's funny. Knowing nothing about the game or universe, if someone went "Oh I got this new RPG, I'm playing a Human Warrior." I'd be all -_-

If they were like "I'm playing an Asura Mesmer." I'd be like wtf. must learn what that is.

edit: The Asura and Sylvari are both pretty unique honestly. I love the idea that Sylvari are so new as a race, when your traditional elf has you know, lived for eons before humans and will outlive their folly and ruin and what have you.

barnone

Can anyone using the $570 build from the Build a PC thread tell me how well that runs Guild Wars 2? How much FPS at medium to high settings at 1080p? I believe it uses an Ivy Bridge i3 processor, 4GB RAM, and a GTX 560. I am trying to build a PC for my budget'ed console gaming friend.

Thanks guys!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The Sylvari are a pretty interesting race. I've started enjoying them more now that I have Trahearne with me in my personal story.

Varna

I don't know, Asura's "Infinity Ball" choice was interesting if only because
you fight yourself from an alternate dimension where you took over the world

Ok. That actually sounds pretty cool. I really like when mmos pull that "fight your mirror self" boss fight (FFXI does this, original GW did it as well).

I guess the human stories are just in another league of terrible. Even if it does eventually get interesting it will basically be impossible for me to care because of the terrible VA and personification of the main character.

kidko

Can anyone using the $570 build from the Build a PC thread tell me how well that runs Guild Wars 2? How much FPS at medium to high settings at 1080p? I believe it uses an Ivy Bridge i3 processor, 4GB RAM, and a GTX 560. I am trying to build a PC for my budget'ed console gaming friend.

Thanks guys!

If it helps, I'm running a Core2Quad 4GBram and a GTX470 at 1080 and it auto-detected to medium-to-high settings. I manually turned on the high res character art and it still runs great... no stutter or slowdown at all

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ok. That actually sounds pretty cool. I really like when mmos pull that "fight your mirror self" boss fight (FFXI does this, original GW did it as well).

I guess the human stories are just in another league of terrible. Even if it does eventually get interesting it will basically be impossible for me to care because of the terrible VA and personification of the main character.
Nolan North somewhere is all like >_<

Since we're doing this:

Taking into account the age before GW1,

Tengu > Other Tengu > Some different tribe of Tengu > Kodan the jury > Renegade dragons a la Glint > Largos > Asura > Hylek > Mursaat > Quaggan = Skritt > Ettins > Centaurs (look, Ventari is a fucking badass, I don't care how they're portrayed in this game) > Jotun > Sylvari > Charr = Norn > Dredge = Grawl > Oozes > Humans

...man they have a lot of memorable races.

thetrin

I don't know, Asura's "Infinity Ball" choice was interesting if only because
you fight yourself from an alternate dimension where you took over the world

That's actually really awesone. Val-A golem is pretty cool too, but I LOVE
alternate universe
shit, and wish I had done that for my story.

I picked Val-A golem because I figured a charming asura like myself would want to make something that could bring drinks to beautiful women at parties I hosted.

Not to mention Logans a pussy!

Logan also totally broke the bro rule. Snaff died because of his decision. Rytlock is right for hating him.

Ashodin

alternate universe

I picked Val-A golem because I figured a charming asura like myself would want to make something that could bring drinks to beautiful women at parties I hosted.

Logan also totally broke the bro rule. Snaff died because of his decision. Rytlock is right for hating him.

You realize that that Asura storyline is from Star Trek, right?

thetrin

You realize that that Asura storyline is from Star Trek, right?

You realize that's why I love it, right?

<-----

Part of me hopes that the other you has a beard.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
alternate universe

Dude, that path was worth it for the golem battle mission, where we were helper bots. That didn't happen in the infinity ball storyline at all.

thetrin

Dude, that path was worth it for the golem battle mission, where we were helper bots. That didn't happen in the infinity ball storyline at all.

That's actually true. The co-op tuning for that quest was awesome.

Appreciated!

I wish they'd do more detailed metrics, like race/class combinations. I want to know how rare Asura Warrior is as a combo.

Can't be too rare, tho, judging from how many warriors there are in general...

Fuck, I'm missing out on a lot when I'm running on lowest settings. :(
Yes. Yes, you are.

Make some money, buddy!

Piecake

I try to level crafting with only mats I find myself. It's been a complete struggle with armorsmithing :O

At least I have some money for repairs and leveled gears.

the final two tiers of fine mats are freakin hard to find. it would take me forever if i had to farm all of those

KingKong

man seriously, is it just me or are there just very few people in 50+ areas? like handfuls at best. I'm on Maguuma but that server is somewhere in the middle according to that World Ranking blog post

it really makes the game feel lifeless especially when doing a heart all by myself or having events with just another person or two

Ricker

You can only run 1 dungeon at 30 = Ascalonian Catacombs. 4 other dungeons will open up every 10 levels up to lvl 70, then 3 more from 70-80 for a total of 8 overall dungeons.

Yes you should run it (it has a rare helm reward), in fact you should run all the dungeons at least once in Story Mode, then a new mode opens up called Explorable Mode that lets you get tokens for gear rewards.

I just hit 30...where is that dungeon exactly? I am progressing through the Norn story line and currently still levelling in Lorner's Pass I think it's called?

Eon

Neo Member
Just picked this game up.

Is there a better race in terms of abilities? I want to play Ranger.

Do certain races get certain pets or can all the races get any pet available?

pablito

hey hawkian if you see this, its graves. accidentally shut down my comp, but now im having some signal issues with my monitor. hopefully i can get back in quick.

Fishious

Just picked this game up.

Is there a better race in terms of abilities? I want to play Ranger.

Do certain races get certain pets or can all the races get any pet available?

No. Be whatever you want in terms of aesthetics and personality. There are racial skills, but they are inferior to profession skills. All races get all pets, though they have different starting options.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Holy crap plenty of people pick humans?

I wonder how they avoid dropping the game with the repetitive human missions.

And they're missing out the fun stuff from other races like charr and asura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom