• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayoi

Banned
Barebones endgame guide:

Run around Frostgorge Sound or Ruins of Orr. Gather as many mats as possible. Rinse/repeat for months until you get lucky and get your legendary base weapon to drop and/or buy one off the TP.
So... roll an alt, then? I thought they were trying to avoid that kind of random grind bullshit. Guess I was wrong? Seems silly in a game with no sub.

Ken

So... roll an alt, then? I thought they were trying to avoid that kind of random grind bullshit. Guess I was wrong? Seems silly in a game with no sub.

Unless I saw the wrong stats, I don't think many will grind for months for weapons with power/toughness/vitality.

Piecake

You can do dungeons or play WvW or sPvP or simply explore the world. You dont have to grind zones if you dont want to

inky

They avoided the grind on level progression, PvP gear, WvW and exploration. They kept it for dungeons, other cosmetics and legendaries.

It's all fine and all, but they smoothed the first curve so much, that when you get to 80 and wonder what else there is you suddenly find a wall. I think the main problem is that the game does a poor job of pointing you towards any one direction, much more than 'stuff just gets harder to get'. They need more ways (quests mainly) of easing you into how the long term stuff works, for example, putting you into the legendary path without expecting you to get outside help.

Arcteryx

You can do dungeons or play WvW or sPvP or simply explore the world. You dont have to grind zones if you dont want to

WvW has moronic queues at times(last night I waited over an hour), exploring only works so far...then you get bugged SPs and can't 100% an area...meh.

I really want a dungeon finder because it's starting to feel like a chore/absolute waste of time trying to find a group to do some of the lesser run dungeons(at least in explore mode). I've found 2 CM explores in the past 3 days of looking/spamming chat.

Maybe if it didn't require 300 coupons (10 runs) just to get the legs I want...lol. No joke, I would pay $20 for 300 coupons to use for any dungeon armor. All I want is the skin; already got all the exotics I need :(

They avoided the grind on level progression, PvP gear, WvW and exploration. They kept it for dungeons, other cosmetics and legendaries.

It's all fine and all, but they smoothed the first curve so much, than when you get to 80 and wonder that else there is you suddenly find a wall. I think the main problem is that the game does poorly at pointing you towards any one direction more than stuff just gets harder to et. They need more ways (quests mainly) of easing you into how the long term stuff works, for example, putting you into the legendary path without expecting you to get outside help.

Pretty much spot on to how I feel about it. Really enjoyed the process of getting to 80...not so much once I hit it.

Ken

Anyone know what the non-Pearl level 80 exotic rifles look like? I know what the Super Hyper Beam and Charzooka look like, but not sure about the others without TP preview.

I look so cool now.

Screenshot697849.png

Screenshot110039.png

Also, some environments are pretty nice...

Zafir

Is there an easiest/best path for farming in Arah? The path we did took quite a damn while. I wouldn't mind that, but considering how many tokens you need per piece, it seems like it'll take ages to get.

Stuart444

So just finished Citadel of Flame, went alright outside of the first boss. After getting through his first phase with that damned spinning sword attack, we were able to beat him okay. Lots of fun...

now, next dungeon I am going to do is Honor of the Waves and based on a video I've seen, it seems rather easy outside of the last boss and his pet. Hoping to get that done so I can do Eternity/Arah soonish. Not even done any explorable dungeons yet either.

Once I complete Arah, maybe finally I will spend more time on my other characters

Guesong

I swear "Forging the Pact" is the worst mission ever.

It's way too long and this is the third time it bugs out on me and the research team does not move. The other two times they did move, my internet failed 5 minutes before the end of the mission.

Fuckin' tired of doing it lol

Trey

I swear "Forging the Pact" is the worst mission ever.

It's way too long and this is the third time it bugs out on me and the research team does not move. The other two times they did move, my internet failed 5 minutes before the end of the mission.

Fuckin' tired of doing it lol

I'm on the same one and won't complete it (or even start it) because the preceding two missions bugged out on me, and were underwhelming in a variety of aspects.

Plus, the rest of the game is much more compelling.

Deadly

How's the use of greatsword on rangers and mesmers? Also is pet control really mandatory on rangers? Thinking of making an alt due to elementalist drawbacks but dunno which.

inky

Pet control comes down to: attack target, use main ability, return to you, switch pet. You can switch between an aggressive and a defensive stance too, but that's about it.

Pets have other abilities they might use when they feel like it but don't count on them.

Edit: pretty much why I got bored with my Ranger early on. They are supposed to be all about the pets, but there is not much to them. It's fun to collect them, but when you switch them out their name reset, you can't customize them in any other way and in the end you might just keep using 2/3 different pets overall either for CC, tanking or condition stack abilities but that's it.

Fishious

How's the use of greatsword on rangers and mesmers? Also is pet control really mandatory on rangers? Thinking of making an alt due to elementalist drawbacks but dunno which.

Ranger greatsword is pretty cool. The 1 skill chain is decent with an evade every 3rd hit. Maul does decent bleed damage. Swoop has a range of 1100 so you can easily switch from longbow or shortbow and get into melee. Counterattack is decent, though since my pet usually takes of most the hits I don't use it often. Hilt bash is good for interrupts. The main advantage is the 150 range on most attacks which allows you to hit multiple mobs at once.

The degree of pet control probably depends on what kind of pet you're using. Something like a bear doesn't require much babysitting, but also doesn't contribute as much to damage. Still you need to make good use of it's f2 skill and harder fights will require you to be aware of your pet as well as yourself. Since a decent portion of the ranger's damage comes from the pet you can't just ignore them.

Haven't really played mesmer, but be aware that mesmer greatsword is more in line with other professions' staff/bow skills whereas ranger greatsword is more similar to warrior or guardian.

Audioboxer

I never play females in games (where there is a choice), but when it comes to GW2 the female VA is soo much more tolerable than male. Not to mention the models/animations and character customization is better.

gw021.jpg

KingKong

So I havent had a dye drop for like 3 hours until just now when I got.... Abyss!

Not sure if I want to keep it or sell for 5 gold, if dyes were account wide it would be a no brainer but hmm

inky

I'd say preview it and see if you like it. If not, sell it. It's bound to become cheaper as it gets more common I guess, but this might take a while.

This is gonna sound maybe a little weird, but are there any Thief helms that cover the entire head like the starter Anonymity Mask? Everything I've come across since starting my travels is the typical Ranger "bandana" helm, which I pretty much hate. I know there are pirate hats too, but I'm not all that interested in those either.

That MMO endgame mindset has always been kinda weird to me, maybe it's because I've never personally run out of content in any of the MMOs I've played. It took me a little over a year to hit max level in vanilla WoW. It always seemed to me if you do run out of stuff to do in a game, then that's a good reason to stop playing it for now and there's nothing wrong with that, especially without a monthly fee. There'll be content patches/expansions and things in the future to come back and do. I do the same thing with single player games, where I might take weeks or month breaks from a game and then go back to it, and they tend to have way less content than the average MMO.

Complistic

I had an asura engineer but I deleted him because the bullets were appearing out of no where about 2 feet above his head.

I probably just ruined asura for a bunch of people.

Ferga

Legendary weapons don't seem that great for their stats, and seem like too much effort for their cosmetic?

Isn't that like 50% of end game for alot of mmos? To look better.

I don't mind it one bit since I like to look all shiny and blinged out

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
The thing is, and I'm not saying that GW2 doesn't have an endgame, but it's not a monthly sub game. I don't need a game after the game to feel like I continuously get my money's worth. I've already spent a 100 hours on the game and haven't reached level cap nor am I near map completion. I've already gotten my money's worth.

So I havent had a dye drop for like 3 hours until just now when I got.... Abyss!

Not sure if I want to keep it or sell for 5 gold, if dyes were account wide it would be a no brainer but hmm

I'd hold onto it for a while. When I got mine it was only worth 3g! Price will only go up 8)

The thing is, and I'm not saying that GW2 doesn't have an endgame, but it's not a monthly sub game. I don't need a game after the game to feel like I continuously get my money's worth. I've already spent a 100 hours on the game and haven't reached level cap nor am I near map completion. I've already gotten my money's worth.
Pretty much this.
I haven't hit max level on my warrior and am not even half finished with his map completion. I intend to give the other classes some more time, too. Especially elementalist and engineer.

etiolate

Banned
I'm pretty MEH about the status of sPVP in the game. I once thought it would take three months before its worth caring about, but now I am not even sure about that. The same four maps of Cap Point is not what the doctor ordered. Cap Point is also limiting enough that it creates repetitive plays. There's not a lot of variation in strategy to be had, because it revolves around holding three nodes.

They really need to introduce a new mode of play.

They also need a better solution or option for solo queue play. You can either join the fustercluck that is Hot Join or you can join Free Tournament and face premade teams that roll through your random pug. Neither of these are a good option.

So that leaves the game in he same place the original was, where you need a team to roll with just to roll, but then you're stuck with shitty Cap Point games.

KingKong

I just finished doing the Battle for Fort Trinity story mission and it was so cool. Definitely the best MMO mission Ive ever played and its up there for any third person rpg

The whole Straits of Devastation zone is really good too

"I'm pretty MEH about the status of sPVP in the game. I once thought it would take three months before its worth caring about, but now I am not even sure about that. The same four maps of Cap Point is not what the doctor ordered. Cap Point is also limiting enough that it creates repetitive plays. There's not a lot of variation in strategy to be had, because it revolves around holding three nodes. "

Been saying this for months now.............

I don't really get the incentive either. What were people expecting with end game?

The game is as good as it is. They put as much into it as they could. Compared to many other games you are allowed a very high amount of choice on how you want to progress crafting/solo/group/dungeons/gathering/WvW. you can repeat content, you can effectively do low level content, you can mix out and match a variety of zones in what other you choose in a larger degree than a lot of other games.

The game is done, when the game is done. All end game is, is an extended after-the-credits continuation that you can do as long as your having fun, but people seem to think about it like it's some sort of never ending fun ride, but IMO no game outside the fun pvp centric ones like planetside, daoc and such had the long term fun in and of itself forever. The game is allowed to be done.

That was why levels were incorporated into MUDs in the first place you know. Multi User Dungeons were just adventure games, dungeon crawlers which only purpose was to allow more people to crawl. but there was no ending point to these never ending games. levels were incorporated to make a "i win, i can stop now point".

All the game is, is an excuse to kill stuff with friends and other players. you just have something to do. I think people are really looking at it wrong when they see the requirements to these things like legendary weapons. its simply giving you a reason to play if you want too. if not, then stop and wait until next expansion, if doing the achievements, crafting game, wvw or spvp are not your fancy. or start a new character that joins a different order.
I think the game offers a lot of varied gameplay. my next character I plan to advance to 80 by doing nothing but WvW. He will be a dedicated pvp character, as much as I can stomach.

It's all fine and all, but they smoothed the first curve so much, than when you get to 80 and wonder what else there is you suddenly find a wall. I think the main problem is that the game does a poor job of pointing you towards any one direction, much more than 'stuff just gets harder to get'. They need more ways (quests mainly) of easing you into how the long term stuff works, for example, putting you into the legendary path without expecting you to get outside help.

I've officially hit this wall today. Yesterday I got my two exotic weapons and all my armors are yellows and have good upgrades in them. I logged in tonight and felt bored, didn't know what to do... joined a pub dungeon, did that, dicked around with the TP a bit, then logged off.

I could go for exotics on armors too but the upgrade in stats isn't that huge. I could go for legendary on weaps but it's just cosmetic. So loot-wise I think my character is set so the carrot has been eaten. It was crunchy, delicious, an incredible carrot, but it's been devoured.

I've only spent about an hour in WvWvW so I guess I'll try that tomorrow, but loot and having a worthwhile goal to strive for is really important for me to continue in a game like this. Cosmetic changes aren't enough.

I still have a lot of the map to explore, my world completion is ~50%, but I have all the gear I wanted and unlocked all the skills, so I dunno what to aim for next. I'd love to continue the story but after getting into the Order of Secrets I've lost interest.

This could just be a case of getting burnt out by playing hundreds of hours in a short time, I don't have a life and have basically been playing GW2, arguing with Nintendo fans on gaf, and going to classes, 80% of it GW2. Time to take a break I guess.

P.S. One other thing I wanted to mention is I tried leveling up an alt (already had a few around lvl 7-10) and had no motivation to do so due to the grind. I tried leveling a crafting prof for her but just couldn't continue after a few lvls, too grind and boring going back & forth from the TP to the station, then switching to the 80 and grinding mats in Orr to sell on the TP, then back to the alt and rinse & repeat.

Achtius

Our AC runs are getting more and more efficient each day now that we know how the dungeons works (at least ghost eater path wise).

Azzurri

I've officially hit this wall today. Yesterday I got my two exotic weapons and all my armors are yellows and have good upgrades in them. I logged in tonight and felt bored, didn't know what to do... joined a pub dungeon, did that, dicked around with the TP a bit, then logged off.

I could go for exotics on armors too but the upgrade in stats isn't that huge. I could go for legendary on weaps but it's just cosmetic. So loot-wise I think my character is set so the carrot has been eaten. It was crunchy, delicious, an incredible carrot, but it's been devoured.

I've only spent about an hour in WvWvW so I guess I'll try that tomorrow, but loot and having a worthwhile goal to strive for is really important for me to continue in a game like this. Cosmetic changes aren't enough.

I still have a lot of the map to explore, my world completion is ~50%, but I have all the gear I wanted and unlocked all the skills, so I dunno what to aim for next. I'd love to continue the story but after getting into the Order of Secrets I've lost interest.

This could just be a case of getting burnt out by playing hundreds of hours in a short time, I don't have a life and have basically been playing GW2, arguing with Nintendo fans on gaf, and going to classes, 80% of it GW2. Time to take a break I guess.

P.S. One other thing I wanted to mention is I tried leveling up an alt (already had a few around lvl 7-10) and had no motivation to do so due to the grind. I tried leveling a crafting prof for her but just couldn't continue after a few lvls, too grind and boring going back & forth from the TP to the station, then switching to the 80 and grinding mats in Orr to sell on the TP, then back to the alt and rinse & repeat.

It's funny because when we have a "gear treadmill" a lot people complain, we're like what the hell am I going to do now since I have the best gear. I guess it's been so ingrained in our heads that we are "lost" with out one. Well, not everyone but a large amount of players are.

It's funny because when we have a "gear treadmill" a lot people complain, not that there really isn't one, we're like what the hell am I going to do now since I have the best gear. I guess it's been so ingrained in our heads that we are "lost" with out one. Well, not everyone but a large amount of players.

We have become a society of loot whores, and I'm OK with that.

Ken

Isn't that like 50% of end game for alot of mmos? To look better.

I don't mind it one bit since I like to look all shiny and blinged out

I haven't played that many MMOs to end game. I just find it weird that something that takes so much effort is just a cosmetic item.

markot

Banned
I wish I could play as an Asura but experience the other races personal stories >_>

Asura are so much better then the other races...

KingKong

I think the idea of an endgame seems to be exclusive to MMOs and comes from the subscription model where when youre paying $15 a month, you expect to have high level stuff to do after you 'beat' the PVE aspect

But since this is a one time purchase, it doesnt need that kind of content. Im at about 65 hours in at level 73 and when I get to 80 and finish the personal story, Ill just stop playing until a content update

Azzurri

I think the idea of an endgame seems to be exclusive to MMOs and comes from the subscription model where when youre paying $15 a month, you expect to have high level stuff to do after you 'beat' the PVE aspect

But since this is a one time purchase, it doesnt need that kind of content. Im at about 65 hours in at level 73 and when I get to 80 and finish the personal story, Ill just stop playing until a content update

Didn't Anet market it as a MMO though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom